Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 Toplef10Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 I22gcj10Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 Toplef10Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 I22gcj10Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Catalog season has begun!

+43
countrynaturals
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
audrey.jeanne.roberts
bwaynef
PinkRoses
CaptainKidney
Lindacol
gurgi1970
littlejo
mollyhespra
plantoid
Turan
GWN
Luci Dawson
Red-Leg
HillbillyBob
happycamper
Nonna.PapaVino
grenaissance
dixie
Lavender Debs
janezee
walshevak
Furbalsmom
elliephant
floyd1440
BackyardBirdGardner
middlemamma
FamilyGardening
quiltbea
sherryeo
Mamachibi
arla
camprn
RoOsTeR
newstart
Goosegirl
chet
martha
gwennifer
madnicmom
boffer
47 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 Empty Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/4/2012, 10:56 am

Wonder of wonders, while down here in Sonoma Wine Country, we visited Baker Creek Seed Bank in Petaluma, CA (their catalog will be mailed shortly). For the past 2 years, we've ordered seed from Baker Creek, but when I found the corner where they had seed packets not listed in the catalog, I went over budget! Amongst others, bought Squash Mongogo Du Guatamala to plant with Cherokee White Eagle cornmeal corn. Also bought something called: Swiss Chard Perpetual Spinach. Anyone out there with experience growing/using this variety? Nonna, who is in 7th Heaven!
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 Empty Re: Catalog season has begun!

Post  plantoid 11/4/2012, 11:13 am

Nona ,
UK wise , cooked the swiss chard / leaf beet is slightly earthy like plain boiled cooled skinned beetroot.

It's OK as small salad leaves as part of a salad but I didn't like a plate full of them on their own .
Never let the leaves get more than 6 inches long .. they can reach over 18 inches long and the earthiness seems to increase the longer they get .
Eat it as cut and come again salad
or
As a green veg by lightly boiling in slightly salted water ,drain and add a small knob of butter , then toss it around the pan to distribute to butter flavour & grease.

I for one wouldn't let it over winter into the next season for it runs to seed very quicly in the spring as temps warm up , and then it tastes even more earthy .

Once it has seeded , it is in my mind ... vile. Mine when lrft to see what they woulfd become eventually grew to over four feet tall masses of very long broad leaves , despite having the seed stalk cut out a couple of times . But big plants do help to make compost so I was not too worried.
I've never tried to eat the roots as they are like very long thin whitish carots and smell really earthy, like cooking beet root .. they also went direct into the compost as my lass would not allow them in the kitchen.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4099

Back to top Go down

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 Empty Perpetual "Spinach"

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/4/2012, 11:34 am

Thank you so much for the info, Plantoid, but question arises: what do you mean by "earthy"? Bitter? Or like some parsnips? or ? ? ? ? I like your idea of using the very small leaves in a salad mix, and will certainly concentrate on cutting leaves when less than 6" for table. Then, as you suggest, shred longest leaves for compost. Nonna (who is still flinching over the "shooting season for the cats" comment--glad I read the rest of the post)
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 11/4/2012, 11:45 am

I use the 3-4 inch as salad and 4-10 inch as boiling greens. And yes, they develop not a bitter taste but a stronger than spinach or beet green taste as they get bigger. But I've eaten them up to 12/14 inches shredded and with a hot pepper sauce or vinegar to offset the flavor. Fresh greens are a premium sometimes.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/4/2012, 11:53 am

And thank you, too, Kay, for the info on "perpetual" spinach. We love greens cooked like Southern collards, so I shall try that technique on the perpetual's larger leaves and try to remember to post my experience. Two reasons why I wanted to try this veggie: (1) seems to be a cool weather crop good for Western Oregon, and (2) we have trouble growing true spinach. Nonna, who wants Spring NOW!
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/4/2012, 11:53 am

Nona
When we simmer beetroot for 45 minutes or so prior to letting it go cold/ cool and rubbing the skin off in readiness for eating or preserving or it there is a strong earthy smell in the kitchen .

To me swiss chard leaves taste like the beets smell when they are cooking .

I see what you mean about shooting cats .. No ...I don't mean moggies or any felines , I meant shooting the "CATalogs .. er cataloggs .. arrgh dyslexia rulz " ... cats through the post to as many people as they can .
I hope your heart race has now safely simmered down Wink .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 11/4/2012, 11:54 am

Nonna (who is still flinching over the "shooting season for the cats" comment--glad I read the rest of the post)
NOW I understand.....
One way to get rid of cats....catalogues... is to move to another country. I had tons of them daily in the use and nary a one here.
Nonna, I am so envious, to be able to just shop for what you want in a store.
Myself I am really trying to save seeds from what I can to minimize the whole catalogue thing this year. I have joined a seed exchange up here in Canada, and plan to so a lot more of that, rather than buying seeds.
It just seems like you get so many seeds per package that you never use.
It would be great for a group to get together and buy some seeds then have a meeting where you divvy up the amounts that would be reasonable for each person to have, after all they are only good for so many years and so many of mine just outdate....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 11/4/2012, 11:56 am

Swiss Chard Perpetual Spinach.
It sounds to me like plantoid is talking about beets and Nonna is talking about something else.
Nonna is this all one thing.....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 Empty You can't beet chard (pun intended)

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/4/2012, 12:03 pm

Yup, it's all one thing: the perpetual spinach is a (I'm guessing) antique type of Swiss Chard; beetroot is what we Yanks truncated from beetroot to just beet; "earthy" means different things to different people--it can even describe a taste found in some wines (but I've also heard the earthy taste called "barnyard"--as if THAT wouldn't kill your desire for wine with dinner).
Nonna, who is in Sonoma area for wine tasting festival--PapaVino collects wines, Nonna collects seeds, plants and recipes. Win-win, right?
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/4/2012, 12:19 pm

I guessed, after reading more of your post, what you were talking about. Here Stateside cats can also refer to the big earth-moving equipment made by Caterpillar Tractors.

(BTW, don't you mean: dyslexia zlur?) Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/4/2012, 12:45 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:I guessed, after reading more of your post, what you were talking about. Here Stateside cats can also refer to the big earth-moving equipment made by Caterpillar Tractors.

(BTW, don't you mean: dyslexia zlur?) Nonna

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 3170584802 Laughing Couldn't find a glass of wine to toast you with .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 11/4/2012, 4:18 pm

Here Stateside cats can also refer
Hmmmm we have just gotten back from Oregon and mushroom picking, and for us "cats" are short for Catathalasma mushrooms that are huge mushrooms that no one else seems to find use for but Ken and I just love, and they are the most fun to find since they are hard to find.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 11/4/2012, 4:43 pm

Gurney's is having a pre-CATalog sale good through 11-10-12: $25 off a $50 order, $50 off an $100 order and $100 off a $200 order. I may put in an early potato seed order since I've got pretty much all the veggie seeds I need. Anyone else having a pre-sale?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 11/4/2012, 8:22 pm

I've got swiss chard that I planted around a year ago. Curious to see when it will go to seed/bolt. I love the fact that it does just fine in our heat as well as any freezes we might get. I like the look of that Perpetual Spinach variety...I don't do much with the stems anyway.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/4/2012, 8:36 pm

Here's a link to the Baker Creek catalog:
http://rareseeds.com/requestcatalog/
It's a good one. If you haven't already, sign up Very Happy

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 12/9/2012, 8:55 pm

I just recently got my catalog from Johnny's Selected Seeds. I've not ordered much from them, for I didn't need much.
I am very impressed with their catalog. It's made of good paper and put together very well. I'd say that it is better quality than most magazines these days.
I'm making my list and checking it twice!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/9/2012, 8:58 pm

littlejo wrote:I just recently got my catalog from Johnny's Selected Seeds. I've not ordered much from them, for I didn't need much.
I am very impressed with their catalog. It's made of good paper and put together very well. I'd say that it is better quality than most magazines these days.
I'm making my list and checking it twice!
Jo
They also have some fantastic garden planning tools on their website. rendeer

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  gurgi1970 12/9/2012, 9:10 pm

Still waiting on my seed catalogs. Hope they get here soon. I'm drooling with anticipation. Don't know how much I'll order, as I have alot left over from last year, but I want to try some new things this year. Wife didn't care for the green beans I planted last year (Bushmaster I believe). Any know a good green bean for northeast growing?
gurgi1970
gurgi1970

Male Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/9/2012, 9:27 pm

gurgi1970 wrote:Still waiting on my seed catalogs. Hope they get here soon. I'm drooling with anticipation. Don't know how much I'll order, as I have alot left over from last year, but I want to try some new things this year. Wife didn't care for the green beans I planted last year (Bushmaster I believe). Any know a good green bean for northeast growing?
I love, love, LOVE the Rattle Snake pole beans. You can eat them green or dried they are a lot like turtle beans. I planted 8 squares last year, at first picking took off 6 pounds of beans. I think I will add 4 more squares next year and give up on the bush beans.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Catalog season has begun! - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 12/9/2012, 9:34 pm

I agree, camprn, pole beans are THE WAY TO GO! Nothing beats standing under a curved cattle panel and picking beautiful, long beans (green and/or dried) from vines above your head. I used to HATE squating and duck-walking along the aisles to pick bush beans. Haven't logged yield from pole versus bush beans, but my arthritic knees really prefer pole beans! Very Happy Besides, some heirloom beans do not come as bush beans, i.e., Good Mother Stallard. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 12/9/2012, 9:55 pm

I love the Dragon Tongue beans. They are a compact bush bean that did very well in one of my table top beds. They are yellow when cooked but so good.
I tried Rattlesnake beans in my problem bed and they did not survive. I will try them again.

Anyone know if if beans would survive in the winter here in so CA, zone 9b (we seldom get frosts here)? I'm tempted to try some as I have plenty of room now.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/10/2012, 9:18 am

Lindacol wrote:Anyone know if if beans would survive in the winter here in so CA, zone 9b (we seldom get frosts here)? I'm tempted to try some as I have plenty of room now.

No harm in trying - remember, it's only seeds!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 12/10/2012, 9:29 am

Goosegirl wrote:
Lindacol wrote:Anyone know if if beans would survive in the winter here in so CA, zone 9b (we seldom get frosts here)? I'm tempted to try some as I have plenty of room now.

GG

Here in the same zone in south Texas I have bush beans producing right now. Last year I had some that started blooming just before Christmas and they produced all through spring. We didn't get a freeze last year.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainKidney 12/10/2012, 12:58 pm

I just pulled up my bush beans after a couple of pickings and replanted peas. I have eight tomato plants that should start producing in January. Difficult for transplanted hillbilly from West Virginia to comprehend that the winter is the growing season in Florida. Summer is unbearable with the heat and humidity, so most of the veggies go north for the summer with the birds.
CaptainKidney
CaptainKidney

Male Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/10/2012, 1:29 pm

Goosegirl wrote:

GG
I tell ya, seeds are really darned expensive in these parts. Do you get frosts or freezes? Check and see if you usually have frosts at a specific month, then wait until after that. That's what I would do.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next