Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas Toplef10Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas I22gcj10Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas Toplef10Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas I22gcj10Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas

5 posters

Go down

Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas Empty Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas

Post  middlemamma 8/25/2024, 6:07 pm

I have one of those huge black spinning compost bins. I bought it close to 12 or 13 years ago. At different times I have thrown things from the garden in there. The bottom half is dry with chunks of debris. I have filled it with clippings from the garden now. And want to add what is needed to actually make a batch of compost. I understand composting isn't necessarily hard. I get the main idea. But I've started and then neglected this process so many times and now the thing is full and I have no compost to show for it and no idea how to get it cooking. Is the trick to rotate it consistently? To add water? I have a bag of coffee grounds from Starbucks. Should I add that? Any help would be appreciated.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2261

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas Empty Re: Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas

Post  OhioGardener 8/25/2024, 7:36 pm

It is hard to tell from your description exactly what the mixture is in the compost tumbler, but it needs an equal mixture of greens and browns in order to "cook".  You say it is filled mostly with debris and garden clippings - I would assume most of that is browns, so it is need of greens.  Coffee grounds are greens, so definitely add those. Is that a large bag of coffee grounds, like 30# or 40# of them? If so, that would be even better.
After greens are added, turn the tumbler for 4 or 5 rotations once daily to mix the ingredients. That should get it going, and it should produce compost in about 5 or 6 weeks.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4711

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas Empty Re: Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas

Post  middlemamma 8/26/2024, 1:59 am

Sorry for the vague description. All I have ever put in the bin was clippings from my garden. Plants that have been pulled, potatoes, onions that were bad, tops to veggies I took inside. Over the years those have dried out. I've never added leaves from fall or anything like that. Then each year I promise myself I'm going to try again and I add more discard from the garden and then forget again. I have I think a 5 lb bag of grounds but I can easily get several more. I'm wondering do I need to add water? 
I added a ton of tomato plants and bean plants today and basically filed it the rest of the way up. So, I'm happy to add the grounds and turn it daily for a week or so and see what happens. I hesitate to add grass clipping because my yard isn't "grass" it's prairie weeds mixed with prairie grass, crab grass, clover and other assorted weeds. I'm not sure I wanna put all those weed seeds in there. 

Thanks for the help and talking through this with me. Sorry I didn't provide enough info.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 7:43 am

middlemamma wrote: I have I think a 5 lb bag of grounds but I can easily get several more. I'm wondering do I need to add water? 

From your description you will need much more green to get it composting, and coffee grounds are great for that. The small bag of grounds will also have filters in it, which adds more browns. Try to get more grounds to add.  Whether or not you need to add water depends on how wet the grounds are. Some of the grounds I get are soaking wet, but others are very dry.

middlemamma wrote: I hesitate to add grass clipping because my yard isn't "grass" it's prairie weeds mixed with prairie grass, crab grass, clover and other assorted weeds. I'm not sure I wanna put all those weed seeds in there.

I would not add those grass clippings. Leave them on the ground to fertilize the grass.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Feeding the soil49 8/26/2024, 5:57 pm

We have a school garden. We had three old wooden bins . Lot of browns .+ greens. Approximately how long will we start seeing progress.
Feeding the soil49
Feeding the soil49

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/27/2024, 10:25 am

Feeding the soil49 wrote:We have a school garden. We had three old wooden bins . Lot of browns .+ greens. Approximately how long will we start seeing progress.

In general, if the browns and greens have been either layered or mixed, and there is adequate moisture for the microbial life, cold composting takes at least a year.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/27/2024, 5:05 pm

Hi middlemama!  happy hi

This is just my take on tumblers for composting.  They do best when intentionally filled up with browns and greens, moistened well and rotated frequently, especially the first days.  Hopefully it will reach 140*F within a couple of days.  Don't add any more ingredients just because the level dropped.

A wire cage or bin that is open to the ground or a pad for excess drainage and is added to now and then, is a cold, passive composting method and may work best for you if you can't turn it now and then.  Composting will happen, especially in the lower level.  It just takes months.

For hot composting, critical mass is needed and it must stay lightly moist throughout.

Photos of my former tumbler and hot compost bin.

Filling with browns and greens with lid all the way open.
Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas Compo104

Compost bin after 2 hot turnings.
Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas Compo105

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21604

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

OhioGardener and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

Sigh. Welp! Nothing about this tumbler being filled was intentional. Ha! I don't think long term with this is the way to go. The tumbler is a good idea but not practical. I need a three bin system. But I'd like to get something out of this mess. So I think I will add the coffee grounds tomorrow night. Wet it down and start turning this thing over the next weeks. See what I can make happen. Maybe next summer I can get hubby to build me a three bin system...closer to the house. I've got dirt with worms galore. If this compost situation were on the ground I'd have way better luck.  😂
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Nancy Rae 9/8/2024, 8:40 am

A friend suggested we use sawdust along with other browns. We live in a condo, so just have a small tumbler. Since we started doing this, I can hardly keep up with compost. We are fortunate to live in an area where sawdust(shavings)is readily available from lumber businesses.
Nancy Rae
Nancy Rae

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Yesterday at 2:09 am

I have read that clean sawdust from solid woods is fine. Sawdust from plywood is not, as there are glues, and in some cases even formaldehyde.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21604

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down