Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Toplef10You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 I22gcj10You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Toplef10You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 I22gcj10You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When...

+91
sanderson
Marc Iverson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
plantoid
cheyannarach
gregrenee88
Triciasgarden
CapeCoddess
bnoles
CharlesB
southern gardener
greatgranny
llama momma
petals1973
MSJ
sherryeo
Kelejan
busygirl
pelujilla
dizzygardener
staf74
Odd Duck
Nonna.PapaVino
camprn
boog1
westie42
yosoypanadero
Wreanne05
Goosegirl
elliephant
Jay Bird
ashort
dixie
Old Hippie
CindiLou
Blackrose
Megan
walshevak
acara
Furbalsmom
middlemamma
BackyardBirdGardner
kimbertangleknot
FarmerValerie
Smartchick
Aussie Girl
jkdistad
eyeluv2garden
junequilt
Little Thumb
Ha-v-v
Weedless_
Shoda
Dunkinjean
dmpower
Josh
carolintexas
graceypt
herbarium
Kabaju42
trukrebew
alouwomack
Chopper
Dietryin
pattipan
SFGHQSTAFF
kiwirose
PB
johnfromfl
milaneyjane
ColoradoNatureGirl
scoobe
Retired Member 1
auntij
Sapp
LaFee
Amy in Idaho
argardener
SirTravers
Selandra
robbinscabin
ander217
chocolatepop
tessmick
martha
WardinWake
Lavender Debs
timwardell
boffer
jinx
happyfrog
95 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Empty Re: You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When...

Post  happyfrog 4/14/2010, 4:58 pm

if you take your salad spinner out to the garden and happily clip salad 'fixins' til it's full and then bring it right in to rinse and serve on table. . . .
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Empty Re: You might be SFG'er if...

Post  ander217 4/14/2010, 5:37 pm

You tell your husband you'd like something shiny for your birthday that glitters, and he immediately assumes you want a bag of vermiculite.

(And he's right!)
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Empty Re: You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When...

Post  robbinscabin 4/16/2010, 11:35 am

If you challenge your "traditional garden" neighbor to a weeding contest...just for the laugh! Twisted Evil
robbinscabin
robbinscabin

Female Posts : 51

http://robbinscabin.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Empty Re: You might be SFG'er if...

Post  Selandra 4/16/2010, 12:12 pm

You burn your husband's oatmeal to a crisp while catching up on the latest news in the forum!!
Selandra
Selandra

Female Posts : 123

http://www.asfggardenerstale.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Empty Git R Done

Post  SirTravers 4/16/2010, 1:20 pm

robbinscabin wrote:If you challenge your "traditional garden" neighbor to a weeding contest...just for the laugh! Twisted Evil

Now that's just funny right there!
You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 L_35e3ce16d38f5d447be4a66d21405e0c
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Empty You might be a SFG if...

Post  argardener 4/16/2010, 1:25 pm

you take pics of new crop sprouts/blossoms you've discovered on you cell phone as your on your way to the car to go to work so you can show your co-workers, they politely look at your pics but you know they think you are a little off your rocker! You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Fresse
argardener

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Empty You might be a SFG if...

Post  argardener 4/16/2010, 1:40 pm

you take your new SFG book to work with you and refer to it as your Garden Bible and use it to witness and give your personal testimony in hopes to help someone else see the light!!! I am a chemotherapy nurse and have a lot of patients who love to garden but are not up to the physical tasks of traditional gardening. I let them look at my book while they are receiving their chemo and encourage them to try SFG, while I wish there was a way to provide them with a box of their own to get started. They could continue to do what they love and provide them with an outlet away from their cancer.
argardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy in Idaho 4/18/2010, 3:12 am

Totally off topic, but argardener, what about drilling holes in the bottom of one of those hospital pans that every patient takes home? They are 6 inches deep. Or start a container garden as a SFG? Or drill holes in a bucket?

You might be a SFG if...
You laugh out loud at the pre-fab box prices in your nurseries because yours was free/nearly free.

You look in everyone's yard to see if anyone esle is a SFG.

You dream about planting seeds in neat little grids.

You get back out of bed to go turn your hot compost in your bathrobe because you forgot to earlier.
Amy in Idaho
Amy in Idaho

Female Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 4/18/2010, 4:04 am

ARgardener -- there's a section in the book about a medical facility letting someone use an old gurney that wasn't usable for patient transport any more...they put a SFG box on the gurney so that it could be wheeled to the patients. There might be a wheeled cart somewhere that would do the same on a smaller scale...then each patient could grow their own square?

I love the idea of the bedpans...and it's a nice Pppppbbbbt! You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Icon_tongue to the whole concept of hospital, etc., to have something living in there.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1022

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapp 4/18/2010, 8:34 am

...you get out of bed at 11 pm to cover the plants b/c the newscaster said "frost" or "very low temps"!!

...you follow the dog outside when doing her "business" to make sure she doesn't get in the garden.

...you drink your first morning coffee while smiling over your new SFG!! Wink
Sapp
Sapp

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  argardener 4/19/2010, 11:18 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I work in an EXTREMELY chaotic clinic, it would not be possible for me to do anything with them at the clinic, it would have to be something I could send home with them. I think it would be an excellent distraction for them by giving them something to care for and nurture. Most of these patients are on fixed incomes. They would not be
physically able to construct a box or go out and buy the items
necessary to fill it and plant it.

I would need materials that would allow me to provide them with an assembled box ready to plant, like a 2' x 2'. I would like to offer them a choice of seeds or plants for the box with instructions on spacing. I was thinking about contacting our local Habitat for Humanity and maybe some local contractors to see if they could donate any supplies to construct the box. Maybe some local nurseries would donate some compost, peat moss, vermiculite, plants or seeds. You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 601593
You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 109486
argardener

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 4/20/2010, 3:22 am

you just might be a SFG'r if you go out every morning and talk to each square in your 4x12' box...whispering how sweet the peas are and how snazzy the spinach is....and my oh my those wala walas are just out of sight....and of course the slower folks get the pep talk "come on little seedy you can do it"....but of course this is just hypothetically speaking
auntij

Female Posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post  robbinscabin 4/20/2010, 7:47 am

when you complete all your boxes and then spot Therese's Strawberry Tree and suddenly feel the urge to start building again!

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-SFG_Friend/strawberry-tree-growing-pic_113.htm

If I'm not in the garden, I'm at the lumber store. You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Icon_wink
robbinscabin
robbinscabin

Female Posts : 51

http://robbinscabin.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/20/2010, 9:49 am

You take your truck to the city-wide cleanup dump site, not to dump anything, but to pick up materials for your SFG. Last Saturday in less than 2 hours I snagged 3 3/4" pieces of plywood, used but still usable, 5 4x4" x 6' untreated posts (slightly warped), a wonderful white metal baby bed with high head and footboards (can you say "trellis"?), two 6' high metal shelvings units for the future greenhouse, 30 bags of leaves and grass clippings, and 4 loads of wood chips (couldn't believe no one but me wanted the chips). What a haul! You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Icon_smile Of course, I also got the reputation for being a scavenger -- and the ribbing that went along with it.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  scoobe 4/20/2010, 9:41 pm

timwardell wrote:...love the smell of Mel's Mix in the morning. Very Happy

It smells like.........Victory.
scoobe
scoobe

Male Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl 4/20/2010, 9:54 pm

...If you can't sleep at night because you are so excited to build some boxes, mix some soils and figure out what you are going to plant in every little square! (true story, for the last week, I need to get some boxes built already so I can get some sleep!) Very Happy
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 5/16/2010, 8:32 pm

. . . . have over 75 different seed packets and ALL of the varieties in the packets are in the garden growing!
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 5/16/2010, 11:09 pm

You know the prices and locations of compost, peat moss, and vermiculite in a 60 mile radius.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfromfl 5/16/2010, 11:30 pm

.....If you have a collection of all the SFG books from day one.

.....If you remember Mel had a beard when you first started your SFG.

......If your whole yard is covered by SFG frames and there is hardly a place to walk.
johnfromfl
johnfromfl

Male Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  PB 5/17/2010, 8:14 am

If you are rolling on the floor laughing because each and every one of these is TRUE!
If you forgot where your hoe was because you don't need it any more.
You are having to give away lettuce because it is more than you can eat.
You are secretly keeping an eye on your father in laws garden. "Traditional" to see when he has tomatos. Hoping I will win!
Telling hubby to bring home power tools from work to make "just one more" box.
Trying out new veggies to fill all the squares.
Telling yourself not to panic when you run out of peat moss and vermiculite.
Scouring the roadside trash piles for SFG treasures before pick up day.
Walking by your SFG and.. oh my a weed. Stop and weed all squares in 10 minutes.
Going off for the weekend and worrying about your plant babies.
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Empty Re: You might be a SFG'er if you . . . .

Post  kiwirose 5/17/2010, 12:37 pm

Take a 'sick' day off work to make and plant one more garden....

and realize then have to take another day to build another garden because you forgot to leave enough room to plant "insert favorite seed pack that hasn't arrived in the mail yet"

lol = this thread is the greatest You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Icon_lol
kiwirose

Female Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 5/17/2010, 12:52 pm

I am doubled over laughing at these. You guys are seriously awesome! You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Lol You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 53366
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfromfl 5/17/2010, 1:50 pm

OK....Who said gardening wasn't fun. It makes the hobby more pleasurable.

(Do I sense another book in the works for Mel)??
johnfromfl
johnfromfl

Male Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/17/2010, 1:56 pm

...if you plan an entire meal around 8 tiny new broccoli florets.

...if you take artful pictures of radishes (and your daughter thinks you've gone bonkers).

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Adozen10

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

You Know You're a Square Foot Gardener When... - Page 2 Empty Re: You might be a SFG'er if you...

Post  kiwirose 5/17/2010, 3:45 pm

watch the weather radar from your work computer and worry if the rain will damage your plants
kiwirose

Female Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next