Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Senseless Banter... - Page 30 Toplef10Senseless Banter... - Page 30 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Senseless Banter... - Page 30 I22gcj10Senseless Banter... - Page 30 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Senseless Banter... - Page 30 Toplef10Senseless Banter... - Page 30 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Senseless Banter... - Page 30 I22gcj10Senseless Banter... - Page 30 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Senseless Banter...

+45
Zmoore
Elizabeth
CitizenKate
FRED58
has55
floyd1440
johnp
Cajun Cappy
GardenGroupie
svanahgirl
greatgranny
FeedMeSeeMore
GWN
lyndeeloo
Judy McConnell
brainchasm
happycamper
68carguy
AtlantaMarie
reservoir
gwennifer
Windmere
rabbithutch
jimmy cee
kauairosina
yolos
mollyhespra
mschaef
Goosegirl
Kelejan
unit649
llama momma
cheyannarach
plantoid
Triciasgarden
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
walshevak
sanderson
martha
RoOsTeR
boffer
donnainzone5
camprn
Nonna.PapaVino
49 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Senseless Banter... - Page 30 Empty Re: Senseless Banter...

Post  CapeCoddess 1/13/2015, 1:33 pm

Windmere wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:
camprn wrote:Tonight on PBS and most probably soon available on video.
http://www.pbs.org/program/queens-garden/

I missed it but....
The Queen's Garden re-airs Thursday, January 15, 2015.
Very Happy
Thanks camprn and CapeCoddess~  Watched preview from camprn's link, set DVR and looking forward to it almost as much as I am looking forward to next episode Downton Abbey.

I MISSED last Sundays Downton Abbey!! I FORGOT! Even have the VCR set in case I'm too tired to stay up but forgot to even turn it off. Must be gettin' old... Rolling Eyes

They let us watch them for free online a week later...but the WAITING! grrrrr....

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/13/2015, 2:09 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
Windmere wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:
camprn wrote:Tonight on PBS and most probably soon available on video.
http://www.pbs.org/program/queens-garden/

I missed it but....
The Queen's Garden re-airs Thursday, January 15, 2015.
Very Happy
Thanks camprn and CapeCoddess~  Watched preview from camprn's link, set DVR and looking forward to it almost as much as I am looking forward to next episode Downton Abbey.

I MISSED last Sundays Downton Abbey!!  I FORGOT!  Even have the VCR set in case I'm too tired to stay up but forgot to even turn it off.  Must be gettin' old...  Rolling Eyes

They let us watch them for free online a week later...but the WAITING! grrrrr....

CC
Sigh, I feel your pain!  I've had to wait after missing an episode as well.  I have an Aunt who visits some of our friends in UK and while she is there she gets to see Downton when it is first shown over there.  Drives me nuts!

Last edited by Windmere on 1/13/2015, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/13/2015, 2:35 pm

All the femmes in my neighborhood, I think, are watching Downton. They're very keen on it.

They show some of the older episodes and promos on Amazon instant videos and on Amazon Prime, so you can always catch up on ones you've missed. Though not all of them are free.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/13/2015, 4:48 pm

I like watching Downton Abbey in spite of the criticism and pointing out of errors in papers like the Daily Telegraph and Times in history etc.  What gets me is that so many nasty  comments of people that write that the people who watch are morons and that is just a high class soap opera.

I was beginning to think that I was the only moron around.  Maybe there are some slip ups, but from what I know of those periods from my family, they certainly had the below stairs staff correct.  If I had been born a few years earlier, I reckon I would have been a skivvy and had to clear out coal fireplaces at four in the morning and had my whole life regimentated. No thank you, I am happy that I live here and now.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/13/2015, 5:26 pm

Kelejan wrote:I like watching Downton Abbey in spite of the criticism and pointing out of errors in papers like the Daily Telegraph and Times in history etc.  What gets me is that so many nasty  comments of people that write that the people who watch are morons and that is just a high class soap opera.

I was beginning to think that I was the only moron around.  Maybe there are some slip ups, but from what I know of those periods from my family, they certainly had the below stairs staff correct.  If I had been born a few years earlier, I reckon I would have been a skivvy and had to clear out coal fireplaces at four in the morning and had my whole life regimentated. No thank you, I am happy that I live here and now.
Kelejan, my father and I used to watch Upstairs Downstairs way back in the 70's.  I was about 7 or 8, not sure... but pretty young.  For us, it was a window looking into a time and culture far different from our own (I grew up in Los Angeles).  We found it all to be quite fascinating.

I don't know what to think about all the criticisms you've mentioned.  However, it does sort of make me think of extreme science fiction fans who present questions to show cast members... about impossible, but minute, inconsistencies.  Usually these actors handle it with much aplomb.

I do not know enough about the time period of Downton to recognize the anachronisms.   I know one thing, I learn a lot more from Downton than I would from some of the tasteless American shows of daytime or late night.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/13/2015, 6:36 pm

"Upstairs Downstairs" - loved it. Henry the VIII series shortly there after.
Downton has a strong following, probably femmes. If I started watching it, I'm afraid I might misconstrue something. Wish the DVDs could be rented like other series.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/14/2015, 12:19 pm

sanderson wrote:"Upstairs Downstairs"  - loved it.  Henry the VIII series shortly there after.
Downton has a strong following, probably femmes.  If I started watching it, I'm afraid I might misconstrue something.  Wish the DVDs could be rented like other series.

I get them from our library...

LOVED "Upstairs Downstairs"...and "the Duchess of Duke Street" was fabulous! Get it if you can!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/15/2015, 1:32 am

My brother told us he likes Absolutely Fabulous, which surprised me.

I never watched Upstairs Downstairs, but I do remember Leslie Anne-Downe(sp). Boy do I.

I caught an episode or two of a cooking show I enjoyed, called something like Two Old Fat Ladies, I kid you not. They go around England and stop at random places and cook up a storm, using every trick in the book to unapologetically get more fat and salt and sugar and cholesterol into it. In a somehow charming and amusing way.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/15/2015, 6:50 am

Marc Iverson wrote:My brother told us he likes Absolutely Fabulous, which surprised me.

I never watched Upstairs Downstairs, but I do remember Leslie Anne-Downe(sp).  Boy do I.

I caught an episode or two of a cooking show I enjoyed, called something like Two Old Fat Ladies, I kid you not.  They go around England and stop at random places and cook up a storm, using every trick in the book to unapologetically get more fat and salt and sugar and cholesterol into it.  In a somehow charming and amusing way.  
I remember the Two Fat Ladies very well Marc!  They used to ride around in a motorcycle with a sidecar.   They've both passed...  one as early as last March.  Forget about Paula Deen, those two cooked exceptionally rich food.  I remember one smoked and drank libations during the show.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/15/2015, 3:05 pm

I stopped at Kristina's, Fresno's long time health store, for raw milk for the lawn and powdery mildew on the snow peas. I was pleased with their produce prices, especially compared to Whole Foods!

Organic USA:

Green leaf lettuce - $1.29 per bundle
Red Lead lettuce - $1.29
Romaine - $1.29
Fennel - $1.99
Kale - $1.99
Red Kale - $1.99
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/15/2015, 4:02 pm

Windmere wrote:
I remember the Two Fat Ladies very well Marc!  They used to ride around in a motorcycle with a sidecar.   They've both passed...  one as early as last March.  Forget about Paula Deen, those two cooked exceptionally rich food.  I remember one smoked and drank libations during the show.

Yeah, they liked to tipple. They were all about the joy of indulgence. I liked 'em. Their motorcycle and sidecar gag was cute too. Pretty smart too, because it was hard to forget once you've seen it.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/15/2015, 4:03 pm

sanderson wrote:I stopped at Kristina's, Fresno's long time health store, for raw milk for the lawn and powdery mildew on the snow peas. I was pleased with their produce prices, especially compared to Whole Foods!

Organic USA:

Green leaf lettuce - $1.29 per bundle
Red Lead lettuce - $1.29
Romaine - $1.29
Fennel - $1.99
Kale - $1.99
Red Kale - $1.99

I went looking for lettuce again today, and it was pricey all over. Still $2.50 a head at Safeway, and over $2.00 at a local market.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/16/2015, 6:32 pm

http://home.sfglobe.com/2015/01/12/it9/?src=share_fb_new_31991&atid=20685&tstr=en

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Senseless Banter... - Page 30 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/16/2015, 8:43 pm

Clever!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Senseless Banter... - Page 30 Empty probably not senseless banter but

Post  kauairosina 1/16/2015, 9:44 pm

we have been fortunate enough to be harvesting a lot of lettuce, and kale and green beans as well as our usual cilantro.  Unfortunately, sweet basil gets some kind of nasty mold or mildew on it as does our zukes.  For all of you who have excess zucchini be happy you can grow the stuff. 

My favorite observation, however, is watching all the Monarch butterflies flitting about the garden.  They are not endemic to our area but we have lots of milkweed for them. I understand they are in great trouble on the mainland due to the industrial/chemical farmers eliminating their favorite haunts so it makes me doubly happy to see how they are doing well here on Kauai.

I guess I could have put this into what are you doing this month.  Don't know how to move it.

Aloha,
Kauairosina
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/16/2015, 10:27 pm

kauairosina wrote:we have been fortunate enough to be harvesting a lot of lettuce, and kale and green beans as well as our usual cilantro.  Unfortunately, sweet basil gets some kind of nasty mold or mildew on it as does our zukes.  For all of you who have excess zucchini be happy you can grow the stuff. 

My favorite observation, however, is watching all the Monarch butterflies flitting about the garden.  They are not endemic to our area but we have lots of milkweed for them. I understand they are in great trouble on the mainland due to the industrial/chemical farmers eliminating their favorite haunts so it makes me doubly happy to see how they are doing well here on Kauai.

I guess I could have put this into what are you doing this month.  Don't know how to move it.

Aloha,
Kauairosina
This would be a great post for the Hawaii regional section.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Senseless Banter... - Page 30 Empty hawaii group

Post  kauairosina 1/16/2015, 10:59 pm

I don't believe anyone reads the Hawaii section  One person came aboard earlier but didn't stay.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/17/2015, 12:01 am

Kauairosina, I read every post no matter what Region or Country it is posted under. I love to learn about other areas. Sometimes I learn something I can apply to my little back yard.

We should have a "Hawaii - What are you doing this month?" under the Hawaii Region. Who cares if there is only one person posting!!! Sometimes, Audrey and I will post back and forth to each other for days or weeks and we would probably go crazy if folks from other regions/countries didn't comment or ask questions on what we are doing!! geek We both have contact with our computers all day and late evening. Most folks work or are raising kids. I'm retired. And, Post some of your photos!!!! Prove to the world that more than pineapples, coffee, bananas and taro roots can be gown in Hawaii!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Senseless Banter... - Page 30 Empty hawaii

Post  kauairosina 1/17/2015, 3:24 am

I do have to learn to post photos.  I love seeing other photos.  Thanks for the advice. Don't know how it would work to post to a Hawaii group if no other Hawaiians take part.  I'm also retired so have more flexibility than some others.

If things ever slow down here I plan to ask my grandson to show me how to post photos.  Somehow at this stage I have trouble remembering steps to something new.  But one day!!!!

The truth is as long as I live here (and it has been more than 25 years) I am still amazed at what grows when.

Aloha to all of you,
Kauairosina
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 1/17/2015, 7:35 am

kauairosina wrote:I don't believe anyone reads the Hawaii section  One person came aboard earlier but didn't stay.

I read everyone's posts too. I thought your state had a vote to ban GMO's recently. How did it turn out?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/17/2015, 8:49 am

sanderson wrote:Kauairosina,  I read every post no matter what Region or Country it is posted under.  I love to learn about other areas.  Sometimes I learn something I can apply to my little back yard.

We should have a "Hawaii - What are you doing this month?" under the Hawaii Region.  Who cares if there is only one person posting!!!  Sometimes, Audrey and I will post back and forth to each other for days or weeks and we would probably go crazy if folks from other regions/countries didn't comment or ask questions on what we are doing!! geek   We both have contact with our computers all day and late evening.  Most folks work or are raising kids.  I'm retired.  And,  Post some of your photos!!!!  Prove to the world that more than pineapples, coffee, bananas and taro roots can be gown in Hawaii!  

+1!  I also read every post for exactly the same reason!  No telling what I'll find that helps my garden!

It may BE a few days before I can get to them...  But everything gets read.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Senseless Banter... - Page 30 Empty hawaii posts

Post  kauairosina 1/17/2015, 1:27 pm

GMO efforts have been strangled by big chemical company money here as in Oregon.  They have no compassion for those affected by the large number of pesticides being used in the fields.  They are the same companies that developed Agent Orange to destroy vegetation in Vietnam and part of that chemical is now being used with these GMO crops because more resistant weeds are growing due to the manipulation.

However, there is hope.  The votes have come so close that one day our children will no longer be subject to these poisons.  Too bad about the present, however.

Have you read that glyphosate, the Roundup ingredient, is now detected in almost all foods?  The USDA says it would be too expensive to test for that.  Guess who is at the helm of the USDA and FDA?
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/17/2015, 4:26 pm

kauairosina wrote:I do have to learn to post photos.  I love seeing other photos.  Thanks for the advice. Don't know how it would work to post to a Hawaii group if no other Hawaiians take part.  I'm also retired so have more flexibility than some others.

If things ever slow down here I plan to ask my grandson to show me how to post photos.  Somehow at this stage I have trouble remembering steps to something new.  But one day!!!!

The truth is as long as I live here (and it has been more than 25 years) I am still amazed at what grows when.

Aloha to all of you,
Kauairosina
I am trying to learn how to post photos, sanderson is being very patient with me.  She has to take a nap before she gets back to me. I am going to take one as well. Very Happy
I also try to read every post but sometimes run out of time. You may also know that I am the regional host for Canada, and so far I don't seem to be doing very well but I intend to keep on trying. I will persevere.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/17/2015, 8:06 pm

Kelejan, What are you talking about? You are doing great. It's been all of what, 17 days?

Kauairosina, See, Kelejan also has a very small active group in her Region, Canada. So, no more dilly-dallying. Very Happy If you build it, they just might post it. (or something like that)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/18/2015, 7:16 am

If you post, someone from the islands may actually respond.
Give it a whirl. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Senseless Banter... - Page 30 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next