Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Senseless Banter... - Page 29 Toplef10Senseless Banter... - Page 29 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Senseless Banter... - Page 29 I22gcj10Senseless Banter... - Page 29 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Senseless Banter... - Page 29 Toplef10Senseless Banter... - Page 29 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Senseless Banter... - Page 29 I22gcj10Senseless Banter... - Page 29 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Today at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Senseless Banter...

+45
Zmoore
Elizabeth
CitizenKate
FRED58
has55
floyd1440
johnp
Cajun Cappy
GardenGroupie
svanahgirl
greatgranny
FeedMeSeeMore
GWN
lyndeeloo
Judy McConnell
brainchasm
happycamper
68carguy
AtlantaMarie
reservoir
gwennifer
Windmere
rabbithutch
jimmy cee
kauairosina
yolos
mollyhespra
mschaef
Goosegirl
Kelejan
unit649
llama momma
cheyannarach
plantoid
Triciasgarden
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
walshevak
sanderson
martha
RoOsTeR
boffer
donnainzone5
camprn
Nonna.PapaVino
49 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Senseless Banter... - Page 29 Empty Re: Senseless Banter...

Post  Kelejan 1/9/2015, 2:14 am

martha wrote:http://boredomtherapy.com/cool-test/

Please don't post what your answers were. But I would love to know if you were in the 98%, or the 2%. Or, in my case, the 99%? Because one of my answers agreed, the other didn't.
I'm a 99 pecenter as well , martha. I guess we are only half odd.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/9/2015, 3:48 am

What did I miss?  I only have one answer: red drill. I guess I could always beat a nail in with a drill. Shocked
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/9/2015, 4:45 pm

martha wrote:http://boredomtherapy.com/cool-test/

Please don't post what your answers were. But I would love to know if you were in the 98%, or the 2%. Or, in my case, the 99%? Because one of my answers agreed, the other didn't.

In the 2%...not even close to the other. Not sure what the math problems had to do with it though...
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/9/2015, 4:47 pm

sanderson wrote:What did I miss?  I only have one answer: red drill.  I guess I could always beat a nail in with a drill. Shocked

You missed the part where it says "don't post what your answers were"...
rofl

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/9/2015, 6:37 pm

I'm in the 2% as well.

Marc - what you're not hearing about is a virus that killed off literally millions of piglets last year.  And cows have been having issues for a couple of years now.  That's another reason the meat prices aren't coming back down.

But I agree w/ you...!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/9/2015, 7:49 pm

If pigs could fly , would bacon go up ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/10/2015, 12:06 am

plantoid wrote:If pigs could fly , would bacon go up ?
Ouch!
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/10/2015, 2:58 am

I heard/read that to make up for the reduced number of hogs, they were fattened up so there were more pounds to sell to make up for the number of hogs.  The resulting problem was that the holiday hams ended up being too big for the traditional spiral cut hams!  I usually trim the obvious fat off bacon for cooking but the pound bought for Christmas had so much spongy-netted fat that I ended up with just a tiny bit for the dressing.  Unintended consequences.

On a different note:  DH and I went to the salad bar for a late lunch yesterday, and we always wash our hands before getting in line.  There are 2 serving lines; the line that leads towards the restrooms was just being mopped.  On our way back to get to the start of the bar, an employee was doing the dry mopping of the mopped floor.  She signaled people to go around another way, so we did.  Ten minutes later, she comes up to our little table and gives us a bag of a dozen site-baked chocolate chip cookies as a thank you.  Apparently, we were the only ones that heeded her request.  The little thank you was courtesy of the buffet.  I don't know if she told the manager or we were caught on security cameras, but we thought that was the nicest thing to do for a customer.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/10/2015, 2:05 pm

Well, THAT was nice, Sanderson! 

It's amazing how inconsiderate folks can be.  I hated working food service - especially the after-church crowd on Sundays who would leave all sorts of trash on/around their tables and not control their kids.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/10/2015, 5:42 pm

That's very cool, sanderson.

I'm kinda disgusted by a lot of the family restaurant crowd too. The screeching and banging and running, the spilling and refusing to clean it up, the relentless kicking the booths, the whining and gross noises ... and that's just the adults!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/10/2015, 6:00 pm

Marc, LOL!

But seriously folks, that is why I enjoyed having a restaurant that didn't own high chairs. The kids that came to our restaurant were very welcome - including a few that brought their own high chairs. But nobody mistook us for a family restaurant.

There were 4 occasions in  6 ½ years that I had to say something to parents. The most notable time was a little kid popping out from behind a table to run full tilt across the dining room. She was too little to know better, but she easily could have hurt herself or a server. The first time she did it, I assume the parents would take charge. The third time she did, it was enough.

When I said something to the parents, you would have thought I told them their kid was ugly. Could they really not see the likelihood of the girl not being seen, and having a tray of dishes dropped on her head? We never saw them again. Not surprised, not sad.

Now, for those of you who know think I am cruel and heartless, there was an occasion when a family had a New Year's Eve reservation - early - and brought their twin babies - maybe about a year old? New Year's Eve at our restaurant was a big deal. The only noise the babies made were happy cooing noises. Not even screeches, just cooing. A nearby, but out of sight, table was bitching up a storm about people bringing babies out to a restaurant. Guess who I never went over to talk to all night? 

And I did take the reservation knowing there were babies. I also knew the parents and grandparents would all take turns taking the babies out if need be. 

Phew. Sorry! You guys touched a nerve!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/10/2015, 6:15 pm

martha wrote:
When I said something to the parents, you would have thought I told them their kid was ugly. Could they really not see the likelihood of the girl not being seen, and having a tray of dishes dropped on her head? We never saw them again. Not surprised, not sad.

The parents probably assumed any comment at all was an implicit attack on them, and one that could never be worth listening to and considering but only fought back against. I don't know what it is that makes people feel they should be immune from any comment or criticism, no matter how reasonable, or that they should respond to it with horror or by fighting, but it's an odd world we live in, and that sort of way of looking at and responding to the world at large seems to be common and accepted in the culture now. Among young and old alike.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/10/2015, 7:00 pm

Nodding in agreement.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/10/2015, 7:59 pm

Sorry, Martha.  Didn't mean to start a firestorm... Embarassed

Just fyi - for those of you who like to eat at Cracker Barrel - the servers/managers are NOT ALLOWED to say anything to parents of screaming/running/disruptive children.  They were sued once and lost.  So it's up to us as customers to talk to the parents ourselves.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/10/2015, 8:49 pm

Ha Ha Family restaurants ..UK style ....

A few years ago I was sat on my own in one of the UK's Pizza hut slop joints in Birmingham , killing time for an appointment two hours hence , where 14 or so hormonal hyper teens & pre teen females 11 to 16  were  on a group solo outing ,  having been dumped by their parents for a party with no adults present.

What a scene ,... like feeding time at the ape cages ...noisy as hell but fun , laughter and smiles , but I've heard & seen much worse from adults many a time .

To my right there was a couple in their early thirties with two very well behaved skinny  prim & proper kids about 7 & 8 yrs old.

The man was a weedy guy, the sort who is always dressed by is wife for his wife as a statement of her good taste & class ( very debatable as he's a clone to be found all over the world ).

She started bitching and itching  in the direction of these kids & started going verbal about them . " The manager should do something about them "  Their manners are disgusting " ,"  Look ,just look at them " she whined at her "  Man ".

Her bleating rose in  ever increasing crescendo's , she started getting twitchy eyed as well . Of course the kids ( aka .monsters ) played up to her and got even more outrageous putting on airs & graces to mimic her to each other which resulted in even more peals of laughter and giggles .

After a few minutes of getting my ear hole full of her I got a bit miffed to say the least .
 So I looked her in the eye and said ,"  Madam If you don't like it leave or else just shut up for the manager ain't going to stop them   because he's going to get get about £250 (approx $ 350 USD ) now & every time their friends decide to come here for a great party .
your paltry £ 16 for a single pizza and a diet coke each won't do a thing , as he throws more food away than that that every hour " . 

Man O Man ..  she went purple , real twitchy & even more swivel eyed , I thought she was going to stab me with her  fork or turn me into a frog or similar .  Instead she stood up and made a quick exit , the noise volume of the kids then increased several fold ..

As her hubby paid the bill he winked & said to me , " Thanks mate,  I've been wanting to say that to her for the last 8 years ) .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/10/2015, 9:44 pm

Plantoid, Hilarious story!

Martha, Nice to hear about parents and grandparents who take responsibility for their young children behavior.

Another little story from me. Eons ago, a boyfriend and I went to Perkos with my 3 kids and his 1. Ages were 2, 3, 4, & 6. Near the end of dinner, the waitress brought 4 little pudding or ice cream desserts over and said, "Complements of that couple for such nicely behaved kids." The couple were grandparent age. And, here we spent half the dinner saying "sit up" "stop playing with your food" "shhhh" "stop whining." We were half exhausted. All in the perception of the viewer so it was worth it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/10/2015, 9:45 pm

Surviving Whole Foods.  Funny write-up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-maclean/surviving-whole-foods_b_3895583.html
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/10/2015, 11:04 pm

sanderson wrote:Plantoid, Hilarious story!

Martha, Nice to hear about parents and grandparents who take responsibility for their young children behavior.

Another little story from me. Eons ago, a boyfriend and I went to Perkos with my 3 kids and his 1. Ages were 2, 3, 4, & 6. Near the end of dinner, the waitress brought 4 little pudding or ice cream desserts over and said, "Complements of that couple for such nicely behaved kids." The couple were grandparent age. And, here we spent half the dinner saying "sit up" "stop playing with your food" "shhhh" "stop whining." We were half exhausted. All in the perception of the viewer so it was worth it.

That's a parent's job, though. Nice that you took the trouble to have the courtesy to others that you kept your kids under control. And even though it's looking at things in the very long run, perhaps, it's a great courtesy to kids to teach them how to behave. They need to know, and it's knowledge they can use all their lives.

Heck, I remember some kids getting pretty humiliated by other kids in elementary school, sometimes punched too, because they thought they could act around the other kids the way they probably acted at home. Sorry, buster ... the rest of the world is just not having it! Even seen college kids encounter pretty much the same situation. Completely out of their depth in the world because they'd been so pampered and sheltered from it. Nobody ever taught them how to get along so they probably thought they already knew. Wrong. The older you are, the harder it gets to learn such things without having it be traumatic. Much better to learn young, from people who love you and would never really hurt you, than when older and from people who don't give a darn about you and might just enjoy hurting you.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/10/2015, 11:25 pm

sanderson wrote:Surviving Whole Foods.  Funny write-up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-maclean/surviving-whole-foods_b_3895583.html

That was pretty good. Great opening and ending.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/11/2015, 1:23 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:The older you are, the harder it gets to learn such things without having it be traumatic.  Much better to learn young, from people who love you and would never really hurt you, than when older and from people who don't give a darn about you and might just enjoy hurting you.

Very well said.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Senseless Banter... - Page 29 Empty great stories this morning

Post  kauairosina 1/11/2015, 1:52 pm

Eons ago my husband declared that we not going to those kind of "family" restaurants as  he declared the noise level was conducive to getting in and out -- especially out.  Especially loved yours Plantoid where the husband was so glad you spoke up to the b****h.  Bravo!!
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/11/2015, 9:55 pm

Tonight on PBS and most probably soon available on video.
http://www.pbs.org/program/queens-garden/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Senseless Banter... - Page 29 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/13/2015, 12:41 pm

camprn wrote:Tonight on PBS and most probably soon available on video.

I missed it but....
The Queen's Garden re-airs Thursday, January 15, 2015.
Very Happy
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/13/2015, 12:55 pm

CC, thank you. I also missed it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/13/2015, 1:00 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
camprn wrote:Tonight on PBS and most probably soon available on video.

I missed it but....
The Queen's Garden re-airs Thursday, January 15, 2015.
Very Happy
Thanks camprn and CapeCoddess~  Watched preview from camprn's link, set DVR and looking forward to it almost as much as I am looking forward to next episode Downton Abbey.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next