Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Md Eastern Shore... Toplef10Md Eastern Shore... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Md Eastern Shore... I22gcj10Md Eastern Shore... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Md Eastern Shore... Toplef10Md Eastern Shore... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Md Eastern Shore... I22gcj10Md Eastern Shore... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Md Eastern Shore...

+5
PransomeHince
Mountaincin
bcpl
mckr3441
rds1955
9 posters

Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Md Eastern Shore...

Post  rds1955 3/4/2010, 8:28 pm

Any in here from the Eastern Shore of Maryland? Md Eastern Shore... Affraid
rds1955
rds1955

Male Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Re: Md Eastern Shore...

Post  mckr3441 3/9/2010, 2:36 pm

So far it doesn't look like anyone yet Md Eastern Shore... Icon_cry But I'm sure there will be someone soon, once the weather breaks. In the meantime, please enjoy the general forums.

And, in case you haven't been welcomed yet... WELCOME to the board Md Eastern Shore... Icon_exclaim

How is the weather in your area? Are you able to get into the soil yet?
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  rds1955 3/10/2010, 9:33 am

Thank you for the Welcome MCKR.......
You're right, I'm certain there will be others pop in here as the seasons starts going...

The weather her is starting to warm up somewhat, just yesterday it was "Short Sleeve" weather ! The ground is still soaked though from all the melting snow, and from tomorrow until this coming Sunday they are calling for continual rain.... But I'm looking forward to this gardening season...
rds1955
rds1955

Back to top Go down

Post  bcpl 3/10/2010, 11:02 pm

near baltimore but nice see someone from the md from beaches section state.
bcpl

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Phoenix, Maryland

Post  Mountaincin 4/9/2010, 10:03 pm

I'm north of Baltimore. Been busy putting in transplants and seeds. It was 90 the other day! I decided to put in 150 strawberry plants. Tired of paying for organic strawberries. They seem to be taking right off. We added to more squares to out garden this year so my 5 year old grandsons can plant their first garden.
I'd love to hear from anyone else in my area!
Mountaincin
Mountaincin

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Maryland areas

Post  rds1955 4/10/2010, 6:51 am

Hi Mountaincin -

Welcome to the forum...
I've got some strawberry plants I'm putting in this coming Monday...I got a bit delayed with other "Priorities and couldn't get them in.. they are sittingin the basement starting to put forth some leaves and shoots...Gotta get em in fast..Plus I got 25 more Asparagus roots to plant to, along with 6 Seedless Grape plants and 5 Blackberry roots....You're right it's been warm the last few days but a suprise last night with the chill which came through the area...

I'm looking forward to the veggies this summer...
rds1955
rds1955

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Md Eastern Shore

Post  PransomeHince 4/12/2010, 3:25 pm

Howdy RDS1955; I'm down here in Lower Slower Delaware, but a transplant from Central NJ. We're in the Seaford Area if you're looking at a map.
I've been doing raised bed gardening ffor about 10 years, but not really following the SFG theorum until this year. We have had a bit of good experience with the whole idea. Being near that 3/4 century mark, it's a bit of a challange to stand up fast. I've been keeping a log of the coolness of the night, and the last below freezing day we've had this year March 27. That was 15 days, or nights if you prefer, ago. I'm giving it 1 more week before putting out the tomatoes and other big leafy thingys. Even so, I've got 2 of those domy thing I can cover them with if there is a just in case. Have the peas, beans, lettuce, carrots and shallots already in and just starting to break soil,
I haven't seen this on any of the forumns, but I havent looked too hard either, but I've made up a drip watering system with some pvc pipe cut to the width and length of the sq ft lines, drilled a bunch of holes in the pipe and connected it to my home built rain barrels. It seems to be working quite well, except that I may have to drill a few more holes. Just an idea that I'm passing on.
PransomeHince

Male Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty MD Eastern Shore

Post  Crystalheart 4/12/2010, 6:43 pm

Hello Neighbors!

I'm near the Bethany Beach area. I have a good friend in Millsboro, DE who has been SFGardening for years. She has the original SFG book that has been well used and she has put index tabs and post-it notes all over it. I've been trying to get her to post pics of her garden which is quite impressive. Her husband is the King of Dumpster Diving and they have made great use out of a lot of free stuff.

I just picked up plants from her today that were volunteers and extras of herbs and flowers. I've got to get them planted so I can post my pictures.

Is anyone from this area planning to attend the 3 day Seminar in Vermont coming up in a few weeks ? Please PM me if you are.

Blessings and Good Gardening to all,

Crystalheart
Bethany Beach, DE
Crystalheart

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Re: Md Eastern Shore

Post  rds1955 4/14/2010, 8:46 pm

PransomeHince wrote:Howdy RDS1955; I'm down here in Lower Slower Delaware, but a transplant from Central NJ. We're in the Seaford Area if you're looking at a map.
I've been doing raised bed gardening ffor about 10 years, but not really following the SFG theorum until this year. We have had a bit of good experience with the whole idea. Being near that 3/4 century mark, it's a bit of a challange to stand up fast. I've been keeping a log of the coolness of the night, and the last below freezing day we've had this year March 27. That was 15 days, or nights if you prefer, ago. I'm giving it 1 more week before putting out the tomatoes and other big leafy thingys. Even so, I've got 2 of those domy thing I can cover them with if there is a just in case. Have the peas, beans, lettuce, carrots and shallots already in and just starting to break soil,
I haven't seen this on any of the forumns, but I havent looked too hard either, but I've made up a drip watering system with some PVC pipe cut to the width and length of the sq ft lines, drilled a bunch of holes in the pipe and connected it to my home built rain barrels. It seems to be working quite well, except that I may have to drill a few more holes. Just an idea that I'm passing on.

Hi PransomeHince -
It's been rather chilly here the last few nights.. I even turned the heat back on last nite because I was simply just sittin and shiverin...I've planted some Asparagus plants about two weeks ago and nothing is coming up or showing any progress yet...This is my 1st time doing any type of gardening whatsoever since I was a little kid helpin my stepdad in the garden... course I remember very little from those days...I bought a new home last year with a large yard and decided to start doing some gardening, and found the SFG method...I'm not up there in the years like you are, but I'm just past the half century mark and have had some back and leg problems so I'm slowly but surely building my SFG on table tops...I wanted to put out some strawberry plnats these last few days but haven't had the time to do so.. Good thing cause I thing the chill would have damaged them...See if I can get them out this weekend..

I've been thinking about the drip irrigation thing, but that'll probably be a project for next year cause my plate is full just getting the SFG started and going... There are some posting here in the forum concerning Drip Irrigation, with photo's and links to some who have posted online video's of their work...

Anyway, good to see some others from our little peninsula showing some interest in this method...Hope it grows...
rds1955
rds1955

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty New to SFG!

Post  peppermintpatty 4/16/2010, 6:11 pm

Hello everyone! I'm in northern Maryland -- just north of you, mountaincin!

This year I planted what amounts to the second veggie garden of my life, and the first of square foot gardening. I was so intrigued with the concept when I read about it just about 6 weeks ago, that I couldn't help but give it a whirl. While I had heard about it back in the 80's, I never thought too much about it. I wish I had paid more attention -- sounds like my kinda gardening! Md Eastern Shore... Herz

I have been slow to become a veggie gardener . . . years ago, I started growing catnip for my cats. Then I branched out to culinary herbs. I grow them organically and then freeze them. (Definitely the way to go! Forget the dried stuff! Md Eastern Shore... Icon_smile )

I have two 3x5 beds that are growing my spring crops (broccoli, onions, taters, snap peas, spinach, and romaine lettuce) and can't wait to get rolling on the summer plantings! My goal is to keep it all organic. I'm hoping to learn about organic solutions for dealing with insects.

QUICK Q: anybody ever use lumber treated with pure boiled linseed oil for their raised bed borders? Do you know if is it safe to eat veggies grown in a bed made with lumber treated with linseed oil?

It's a joy to "meet" you all. I look forward to reading future postings!
peppermintpatty

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Re:New to SFG!

Post  rds1955 4/16/2010, 6:18 pm

peppermintpatty wrote:
QUICK Q: anybody ever use lumber treated with pure boiled linseed oil for their raised bed borders? Do you know if is it safe to eat veggies grown in a bed made with lumber treated with linseed oil?

Hi PeppermintPatty....(LOL, Where have I heard that name before.. Md Eastern Shore... Icon_lol )

I don't have any treatment on my wood yet, I'll probably let it "weather" this year and do something to it next year...then Again, I may just paint it a Barn red to match the Red Cement Cinder blocks I'm using as Legs...But from what I've read in a post or two here in the forums, Boiled Linseed Oil is supposed to be a superior treatment for your boxes...I could only find one post about it using the search function, but I know there are others in the forum..

You can read about it here:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/linseed-oil-beeswax-wood-treatment-t707.htm?highlight=linseed+oil

Glad to see that there are other Marylanders in here too!
rds1955
rds1955

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Re:New to SFG!

Post  peppermintpatty 4/16/2010, 6:26 pm

Thanks for your speedy reply, rds1955! Like you, I have used the untreated lumber this year -- I consider this year purely experimental. However, my husband (being the wonderful and helpful guy he is), treated the first beds with linseed oil . . .but they haven't dried yet! So I'm holding onto them for summer planting (I hope they're dry by then.)

Thanks for link to info -- I'll check it out!

Happy gardening!
peppermintpatty

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Welcome Peppermintpatty!

Post  Mountaincin 4/17/2010, 2:54 pm

Glad there is someone close to me. I've been doing Square Foot Gardening for 3 years now. It was hard in Colorado at 8700' and a blast here in Maryland! I had 12 squares going last year. Added a few doubles with strawberries this year and a double for my grandson's first planting experience. Been busy constructing other little planters- never enough places to plant everything that I want to try.
I just used untreated pine. It will last long enough for all gardens. If you grow beans be sure to watch out for the Japanese beetles. They were awful last year. I'm trying companion planting this year and going to use insect barrier.
Also started all my tomatoes and some other things this year. I used soil blocks for the first time. To make a long story short- those best laid plans that go haywire! Ended up losing that I.D. markers on the toms so don't know who is who!!! I've got 15 varieties this year and then some extras!!! We'll have lots of little surprises. I love to garden. So do my hounds. They are anxiously awaiting the surgar snap peas. They love them.
Mountaincin
Mountaincin

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty Thanks for the Welcome!

Post  peppermintpatty 4/18/2010, 9:41 am

Hi, Mountaincin. Thanks for the hearty welcome. It sounds like you've got your hands full gardening! 15 varieties of tomatoes! Wow!!! I guess you do a lot of preserving????

Thanks for the heads-up on the beetles. I will definitely look out for them! Like you, I'm using companion gardening, but am already researching tips on how to prevent / treat bugs (in general) organically.

Happy gardening!
peppermintpatty

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 4/24/2010, 5:50 pm

I'm from Ocean City, but live near Annapolis now.
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  rds1955 4/24/2010, 7:18 pm

Cropper2 wrote:I'm from Ocean City, but live near Annapolis now.

Welcome Cropper2...

I live in Kent County, on The Eastern Shore, but I work in Annapolis at the Naval Academy...
rds1955
rds1955

Back to top Go down

Md Eastern Shore... Empty re: Maryland

Post  jwbryson 6/18/2010, 11:12 am

Howdy folks, I'm a transplant ( Md Eastern Shore... Icon_biggrin ) from South Texas (San Antonio), and just started my first SFG this year. We live in Clarksburg, Maryland, which is about 25 miles north of DC off Highway 270 which runs from DC to Frederick, MD.

I've got zukes, cukes, tomatoes (please survive!), herbs, peppers, watermelons, flowers, onions, etc. and I'm having a blast.

Good to meet ya'll.

Jeff Bryson Md Eastern Shore... 396615
jwbryson
jwbryson

Male Posts : 78

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 6/18/2010, 11:46 am

Welcome to the neighborhood! Happy gardening.
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down