Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie from the Eastern Shore Toplef10Newbie from the Eastern Shore 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie from the Eastern Shore I22gcj10Newbie from the Eastern Shore 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie from the Eastern Shore Toplef10Newbie from the Eastern Shore 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie from the Eastern Shore I22gcj10Newbie from the Eastern Shore 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie from the Eastern Shore

+8
sfg4uKim
walshevak
staf74
janezee
sherryeo
boffer
llama momma
kesugeo
12 posters

Go down

Newbie from the Eastern Shore Empty Newbie from the Eastern Shore

Post  kesugeo 12/27/2011, 1:17 pm

Being that I got a copy of the SFG book as one of the many preparedness books for Christmas I thought I would do some looking around. Thats how I found this site ... looks great so far ... especially since I will need all the help I can get.

I am about to close on a nice new house in a planned housing area here on the Eastern Shore of VA. I look forward to growing a variety of fruits, vegies, and herbs here I do have one big question I hope to find in these forums. That question is "How do I keep the deer from eating my harvest?"

Well off to see what you all have to say ... Very Happy
kesugeo

Back to top Go down

Newbie from the Eastern Shore Empty Re: Newbie from the Eastern Shore

Post  llama momma 12/27/2011, 1:29 pm

If you don't mind, this is one way. Hello there, I'm from the old cath. schools, so I can have fun with this-- right???

Newbie from the Eastern Shore Nuns_a10
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/27/2011, 1:35 pm

Now for the serious answer-- first, welcome to the square foot gardening site! You will find lots of great help and kidding around too. The deer - you can look in your All New square Foot Gardening Book and see what the critter cages look like. You can build fencing, there are deer repellent granules, etc. I have used the granules and critter cages with 100% success. I am sure others will chime in with ideas that worked for them too. Enjoy the site and the fun!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/27/2011, 2:12 pm

a six foot welded wire fence.

When I fired a couple 12 gauge rounds into the ground, they walked about 10 feet away and resumed eating. Spoiled troublemakers!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/27/2011, 8:05 pm

glad you\'re here kesugeo,

I don't have a problem with deer, but just wanted to drop by to say welcome to the forum! I'm sure these other folks who have problems with deer will steer you in the right direction! You also could try searching the older posts (see the search box below the "Latest Topics" to the left). I think there have been a good many posts about different ingenious ideas to foil the critters.

I hope to see you around the forum!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  kesugeo 12/27/2011, 9:30 pm

One of the bad thing about this HOA is that since it is still pretty rural around here they really do not allow fences breaking up the free roaming of animals ... namely deer Sad
kesugeo

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 12/27/2011, 9:57 pm

Do they allow hunting?
hungry
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  kesugeo 12/28/2011, 7:03 am

Even if they did allow hunting the houses are getting pretty close to not allow for the safe discharge of firearms.

I may try chicken wire around individual beds. Easy enough to remove if the HoA complains. If that happens I would have to look for a chemical way to keep them away ... or scatter "Deer Rage" away from my gardens Very Happy
kesugeo

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/28/2011, 7:54 am

Hi Kesugeo !!!!

Newbie from the Eastern Shore 396615 to the SFG forum. I am the new host for this region. I didn't know until googlin' your locale that it fits into the middle south region. I'm still learning about our region myself. I'm sure you have a slightly milder coastal feel than the more interior parts of the middle south and I'd like to hear from you when get a chance about the micro climate where you live. As new host of the region I am here to help you out any way I can but you'll find that very helpful folks from all over the country and indeed the world, will chime in to help. If you have any questions pls don't hesitate to ask Newbie from the Eastern Shore 601593

Check out the middle south and some of the posts and topics there, it might help decide what to plant and when (although you'll be well on the way after reading the book).

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/f9-middle-south

I periodically post videos from my youtube channel and that might help you visualize a SFG. You will see them linked in the middle south region link above also.

When you are ready to build and set-up, we can help guide you through the process as best we can and help you avoid some of the pitfalls we may have encountered along the way, not that are many!

However, as for the deer problem, lets get to that AFTER we build the SFG Very Happy. It can be done (humanely Wink) and I'm sure a solution can be found.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/28/2011, 3:31 pm

Check out this thread, in particular the Irish Spring method.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8546-how-should-i-keep-the-deer-out

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/28/2011, 7:09 pm

They are located in Round Hill, VA (I know it's quite a ways away, but I think he ships.

Garden Commander

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Newbie from the Eastern Shore WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/28/2011, 8:43 pm

I just saw this online, I have no idea if it works...
Powder Milk <~~~click
Newbie from the Eastern Shore Dried_milk

And then this fella had some good success.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Newbie from the Eastern Shore WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/29/2011, 5:02 pm

kesugeo, Welcome!

I am from the Northern VA area, orginally, but am now happily retired on the Southern Oregon Coast.

We have lots of deer here and for myself, the most effective deterrent is fencing. While you may be unable to fence your yard, deer netting around the garden is fairly easy to use, inexpensive and it sort of disappears when installed. It can be laid over your hoops or wrapped around fence posts.

There are some inconveniences, such as deer netting is very fine and if it is windy, the netting can get snagged on other things (including the buttons on your shirt or hair clips) and you must plan for being able to get to the things growing in the garden.

One of my neighbors just put posts on each end of her raised (non sfg) garden and draped the deer netting from one end to the other. She then lifted the sides of the netting to access her veggies.

I have also used Irish Spring Soap, cut into chips and enclosed in nylon netting. The deer do not like the scent and it is very effective. In my area, the soap has to be replaced every few weeks. This may be due to the frequent rain here which may reduce the scent of the soap.

Again, Welcome and please keep us updated on your progress.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  kesugeo 2/7/2012, 9:54 pm

Just bought the boards for my first 2 beds. Now as the time gets closer I am getting a bit wrapped in the details I believe and feeling overwelmed. I know the perfect soil is 1/3rd each compost, vermeculite, and peat moss.

So far I have found at my local Lowes a small partial bag of vermeculite and have no idea what to get for compost until I make my own.

And knowing me if I continue to feel overwelmed like this I will completely not start the project at all.

Please give me a hint as to at the very least what I am supposed to get for compost to even start this thing.
kesugeo

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/8/2012, 11:49 am

Don't get frustrated before you get a chance to start and try this great method of gardening. Best tip, if there are no local sources listed, pull out your phonebook and call ahead to aquaponics shops for vermiculite, nurseries, big box stores, farm and ranch stores for compost, before you start driving around. I got really frustrated when I spent a lot of time driving before I called to see who carried what.

This thread tells you what you want to look for in compost and how to correctly make your MELS MIX << Click

This thread has a data base of sources other members have found for VERMICULITE << Click

The button marked U.S.D.B. includes sources located by our members.

The button marked U.S.FORM is used to for you to update sources you find to help other members.

I had success calling Aquaponics Shops to find vermiculite locally and at a better price than was available at other merchants in my area
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 2/8/2012, 5:17 pm

Another idea is a nicer (pretty wrought iron?) fence around the garden area. Or plants that act as a barrier (things with wicked thorns) or motion sensor water spray.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Newbie from the Eastern Shore Empty Compost & Vermiculite

Post  asilcox 3/25/2012, 1:10 pm

Have you tried Southern States? The one near me carries vermiculite, peat, and compost and will order what they do not have. It is a sort-of farmer's co-op; I find them very helpful. They have a store locator on their website.

If that doesn't work for you - have you checked with a local garden shop? It might be more expensive, but they will probably order whatever you need if they don't have it on hand.

Good luck! I am a few hours north of you, in Maryland.
asilcox
asilcox

Back to top Go down

Post  kesugeo 3/25/2012, 6:57 pm

We ended up getting all of our ingresients at a local place here. Had to fight em to NOT send back the 4 cuft bags of coarse vermeculite they had mistakenly gotten Very Happy

So far having fun trying new things for these gardens. Even found the adult Erector set called PVC pipe for 1 of the cages.
kesugeo

Back to top Go down

Post  asilcox 3/26/2012, 10:19 pm

I am also having fun - I have wanted to garden for years, but have been an apartment dweller until recently. Now in the midst of renovating my 110-year old house, I took the time to start my first foray into growing things! I have a brand new berry hedge (each tiny guy covered for tonight with a little grocery store bag "blanket" against the frost), two 4 x 4 sfg for veggies (also covered against the frost) and am starry-eyed with plans for the future (no need to protect them from the frost).

I was nervous about planting a traditional row garden, but this method has me believing that I can do this! So far, so good! I have a few things planted, and I run out to the sfg every morning like a little kid to see how it's doing.

~Amanda
asilcox
asilcox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down