Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Blueberries - Page 2 Toplef10Blueberries - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Blueberries - Page 2 I22gcj10Blueberries - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Blueberries - Page 2 Toplef10Blueberries - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Blueberries - Page 2 I22gcj10Blueberries - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Yesterday at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Blueberries

+23
subsonic
cheyannarach
memart1
Goosegirl
SwampCatNana
jfkelly001
bakermtb
Noie
nancy
staf74
jpatti
martha
Lavender Debs
efirvin
quiltbea
camprn
llama momma
The Cat's Other Mother
janezee
BackyardBirdGardner
Furbalsmom
Windsor.Parker
NorthWoodsFever
27 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Blueberries - Page 2 Empty Re: Blueberries

Post  Lavender Debs 3/9/2012, 7:49 am

bakermtb wrote:I would like to plant some Blueberry Plants. Has anyone planted them in the SFG Mel's Mix? How big of a container did you use? ...snip...

Waving hand in air, ...me, me.

Blueberries - Page 2 Feb_2713

February 27 of this year in the PNW (North of Seattle) showing both the smallist (12 inches) and biggest (not sure how big it is, comes up to my knee)

Blueberries - Page 2 Img_0027

I pick a lot of blueberries but I guess I do not take a lot of pics of them. This is a picture of green cherry tomatoes but it is framed with green blueberries. There are a bunch of different sizes of ceramic and stoneware pots. The bigger they are the happier I am. Most of these have been planted in MM for 3 years now. At least one of them is only a 12 inch pot but I do not consider it a permanent home. I choose glazed ceramic or stone to give them an edge in winter and insulation in summer.

I prune them the way I would if they were in the ground. In late autumn I put a shovel full of grassy compost on top of the mix. In spring I mix up alfalfa meal and compost that is rich in composted poo from my chickens to spread a thin layer over the mix. I used to use alfalfa meal, kitchen scrap compost and bagged cow poo as my spring pick-me-up but my smart garden friends are refusing to use bagged cow poo for anything. Seems that the poo from agrio-business in not like the poo from slaughter houses or even feed-lots that we could get just 20 years ago. Now it is way too high in salts and antibiotics. This year I am hoping to get rabbits so I can use their poo in place of both the alfalfa meal and the poo.

Debs ....hoping that last paragraph was not TMI
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/8/2012, 10:51 pm

Just came across this great site on blueberries. Hope you like it.
How to Grow Blueberries
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/9/2012, 5:42 am

Lavender Debs wrote:....... composted poo from my chickens..... bagged cow poo....... bagged cow poo ........ poo from agrio-business ............. poo ........ get rabbits so I can use their poo ............. poo.

Blueberries - Page 2 889526 Really Debs? Blueberries - Page 2 889526 You're worried we might be offended by a little poo talk? We LOVE talking about poo, info about poo, posting directions to free poo, etc. What would our gardens be without poo?lol!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Blueberries - Page 2 Empty Blueberries

Post  memart1 6/9/2012, 6:30 am

I have four blueberry bushes that my boyfriend transplanted from his yard about ten years ago. They have been somewhat neglected but have done well anyway. They do get a lot of pine mulch tho. Here are some pics for this year.
Blueberries - Page 2 00611
Blueberries - Page 2 00711
Blueberries - Page 2 00511
I expect to pick them in about three weeks. Just in time for fresh blueberry pie for a July fourth cookout at my daughter's house!
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/9/2012, 8:36 am

Mabel,

I love seeing your blueberries. They are so beautiful!! I wish my 2 and 1/2ft. tall babies were looking as lush as yours.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/9/2012, 9:39 am

llama momma wrote:Mabel,

I love seeing your blueberries. They are so beautiful!! I wish my 2 and 1/2ft. tall babies were looking as lush as yours.

+1
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 6/9/2012, 3:27 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
Lavender Debs wrote:....... composted poo from my chickens..... bagged cow poo....... bagged cow poo ........ poo from agrio-business ............. poo ........ get rabbits so I can use their poo ............. poo.

Blueberries - Page 2 889526 Really Debs? Blueberries - Page 2 889526 You're worried we might be offended by a little poo talk? We LOVE talking about poo, info about poo, posting directions to free poo, etc. What would our gardens be without poo?lol!

GG

They would be poo-less! Wink
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  subsonic 6/9/2012, 8:00 pm

about to pick the second crop this year, all those green when I got the first crop
I grow in twelve gallon pots
I use azalea fertilizer and soil sulfur for the acid
and never let the roots get dry
and I get great berries in SOCal
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/9/2012, 8:03 pm

SwampCatNana wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

GG

They would be poo-less! Wink
Lee

Oh poo-ey! You got me! Blueberries - Page 2 656620

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 6/24/2012, 9:07 pm

Blueberries - Page 2 Photo410

My first blueberry crop ever!!! I planted 2 in whiskey barrel and came out to this this morning!!
philct
philct

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/24/2012, 11:00 pm

My blueberry bushes look like they are dying, it's not pretty, don't know where I went wrong but it's bad. Great pics phlict!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 7/8/2012, 3:19 pm

cheyannarach,
You should've seen our blueberry bushes last year. They were pretty ugly, too! Blueberries - Page 2 217255
I'd post "before" pics if I could. Anyway here they are Today.
Blueberries - Page 2 Imga0613
Blueberries - Page 2 Imga0611

I dug a 1ft hole, 1ft deep, filled the hole with sphagnum peat and planted a bush in it. All the bushes are growing well, and most are fruiting well, too!
Blueberries - Page 2 679265

There's a bit of bad news, though! Here's what I found on the tip of one plant.
Blueberries - Page 2 Imga0612
Any idea what's causing it? Blueberries - Page 2 601593 I'm removing the damaged leaves right away!
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  memart1 7/8/2012, 3:32 pm

I'm going out for my fourth picking. I have four bushes that were transplants from my boyfriend. He had been growing them for about 40 years, and had rooted some from cuttings. The first time I only got about a cup. The second time, about 3 cups. The third time about six cups. Probably I will get five or six cups this time, and one or two more pickings. Tomorrow I am going to his home and pick from two bushes he had. Probably by next season his daughter will have sold his home, so I am going to take a few clippings to try to start even though it is the wrong time for doing that. The last year he was able he picked 17 one gallon zip-lock bags full from just these two bushes.
memart1
memart1

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/8/2012, 4:12 pm

golly gee whiz Do you happen to know what variety these blueberry bushes are?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Blueberries - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  memart1 7/8/2012, 5:10 pm

No, he probably planted the originals when he built his home in 1951. I know he had these two bushes when I first met him in 1982. He started me some from slips he took from them. I have four bushes next to one shed. I also have two bushes that are very small on the end of my house that is around the corner from my garden, but I am not too sure about one. One had about a dozen berries this year, but the other one looks dead. However there may be some small shoots coming out near the crown, so I'm going to give it another year to see what happens. I am planning to put a 4x4 strawberry pyramid out from the corner about 8 feet.

Last edited by memart1 on 7/8/2012, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling and Capitalization)
memart1
memart1

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 7/9/2012, 7:36 am

memart1 wrote:I'm going out for my fourth picking. I have four bushes that were transplants from my boyfriend. He had been growing them for about 40 years, and had rooted some from cuttings.........

SOS I have a few cuttings. How do I root them if I don't use the store bought rooting powder?
I also have some raspberry bush cuttings.
thanks
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Blueberries - Page 2 Empty Growing new Blueberry Bushes from cuttings

Post  memart1 7/9/2012, 8:28 am

I don't know just how to go about starting new bushes, but I'm going to try. Stanley seemed able to grow anything. He had a traditional row garden which he direct composted since he built his home in 1951. Everything went into the garden -- vegetable peelings, coffee grounds, etc. just as we do our piles, but he also put in table scraps including bones, clam shells, used cooking oil, wood ash, rusty nails, etc. When he had the garden planted, he put those in a pile out back, but in the winter he would just flip a banana peel or something similar into the garden and it would lay there until spring when he would hand till it in. He had a friend who had a clambake/picnic grove and once or twice a year he would dump a five gallon jug of oil from the fryers all over the garden. His garden looked crappy all winter, but he had to use boards between the rows, and once he held a pitchfork up high and dropped it, and it went about 20 inches into the soil. I saw a parsnip that was at least 5 or 6 inches across the shoulders. To start my bushes he just took soil from his garden and put it in a deep box he had made, then put the cuttings on a slant in that soil. He kept them reasonably moist, and after they showed growth he added a liquid fertilizer. When he was ready to transplant them at my house, he dug a hole about 15 inches diameter and maybe 12 inches deep. He put in a mound of his garden soil, then spread the roots of the new plant over that and covered them with more of his soil. The last couple of inches he used soil he had removed from the hole. He watered everything in well, and kept it watered well for several months. Then just a once a year treatment with a commercial azalea food. Yesterday I picked about 3/4 of a 3 lb butter tub full. I did notice that one branch of one bush had berries that were drying up, and I think this heat wave has gotten to them. I gave all the bushes a real good soaking at the base, so we'll see what happens.
memart1
memart1

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/11/2012, 8:51 pm

I was looking at blueberry bushes at a farm stand I visited yesterday. One was Patriot and I forget the other. They were priced $29.99 and $39.99 respectively. Shocked
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/12/2012, 12:35 am

Windsor.Parker wrote:cheyannarach,
You should've seen our blueberry bushes last year. They were pretty ugly, too! Blueberries - Page 2 217255
I'd post "before" pics if I could. Anyway here they are Today.
Blueberries - Page 2 Imga0613
Blueberries - Page 2 Imga0611

I dug a 1ft hole, 1ft deep, filled the hole with sphagnum peat and planted a bush in it. All the bushes are growing well, and most are fruiting well, too!
Blueberries - Page 2 679265

There's a bit of bad news, though! Here's what I found on the tip of one plant.
Blueberries - Page 2 Imga0612
Any idea what's causing it? Blueberries - Page 2 601593 I'm removing the damaged leaves right away!

Thanks so much for the encouraging pics! One of three of my bushes seems to be doing okay, I will post pics in a few days! Your plants look awesome! The damages leaves look to me to be the fault of the japanese beetle! Have you seen any of them around?

Blueberries - Page 2 Japane10
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 7/13/2012, 8:05 am

cheyannarach wrote:

Thanks so much for the encouraging pics! One of three of my bushes seems to be doing okay, I will post pics in a few days! Your plants look awesome! The damages leaves look to me to be the fault of the japanese beetle! Have you seen any of them around?

Blueberries - Page 2 Japane10

Blueberries - Page 2 109486 You're right! That's the culprit(s). I saw a couple of them over the last day or two. My mission for Today is to CRUSH every one of them I see.
Blueberries - Page 2 671790
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/13/2012, 11:36 am

affraid Watch out japanese beetles, muahahahahahaa Twisted Evil . Go get em!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/13/2012, 3:17 pm

cpl100 wrote:I was looking at blueberry bushes at a farm stand I visited yesterday. One was Patriot and I forget the other. They were priced $29.99 and $39.99 respectively. Shocked

Oh boy, that sounds crazy expensive unless they were already 4 ft tall or something... I got mine on special, it was three for twelve dollars. They were already about 2 ft tall and blooming. There were different varieties to choose from which was nice, since you are suppose to get at least 2 different ones. Mine are jersey, blue jay, and duke, they were grown locally at least thats what they told me.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  memart1 7/13/2012, 4:07 pm

I saw Patriot in the catalog from Territorial Seed, and it was only $ 15.00. I am sure they can be found at least much lower than $ 29.99.
memart1
memart1

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/13/2012, 4:12 pm

They were a good size, at least 2 ft., and had berries on them. I will have to take more notice while I am out and about. 3/$12 and 2 ft. tall each sounds like a very nice compromise.

Edit: I just went to the Territorial site and checked out the Patriot blueberry plants (which are sold out if anyone else is interested). They come in 3.5" pots and are one year plants for $15. The ones I saw were much, much bigger than that for what it's worth.

Although I would love to plant some blueberry bushes this year, the price I found just is not in the cards after all the other start-up expenses.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 8/6/2012, 11:40 pm

jfkelly001 wrote:A clay soil is preferred, but dark or sandy soils are acceptable with sufficient watering. What I do is put 2 ft x 2 ft x 6 inches bottomless box where I want to place them. I dig down 10 inches and remove the soil and then refill the entire hole and up to the top of the box with moistened Canadian peat moss. Plant your blueberry by making a hole in the peat moss. Top of the blueberry root ball should be level with top of the box. Do not put any of the soil you removed in or on top of the box. This is the way the growers recommends and it has worked great for all 5 of my blueberry plants over the years.
thanks also for this advice. And someone here wrote Alfalfa meal mixed in too. -

Whoever planted ours originally, stuck all 3 in a corner only 30-inches What a Face apart, so they sorta look like one Gigantic bush. So actually, two need to be Transplanted completely... Any idea on how far down... I can then prune these 3 six-foot bushes?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next