Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another newbie question: Light for seedlings Toplef10Another newbie question: Light for seedlings 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another newbie question: Light for seedlings I22gcj10Another newbie question: Light for seedlings 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another newbie question: Light for seedlings Toplef10Another newbie question: Light for seedlings 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another newbie question: Light for seedlings I22gcj10Another newbie question: Light for seedlings 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Another newbie question: Light for seedlings

+3
mschaef
slimbolen99
momvetkat
7 posters

Go down

Another newbie question: Light for seedlings Empty Another newbie question: Light for seedlings

Post  momvetkat 2/19/2015, 11:22 pm

I did read the seed starting threads but didn't find an answer to my dilemma
. I had some success years ago starting my tomatoes indoors. I do have a grow light system (I believe it is Hydrofarm but I am out of town right now so can't check and a heating mat) and started some seeds indoors this year after digging my things out of the closet. I started tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, spinach, kale, parsley, onions and shallots in peat pellets (I used one of the 72 cell Jiffy systems). Kept the dome on until some things sprouted and kept the heat mat on until almost everything sprouted. I kept the lights within 2 inches of the plants. Most of the plants look pretty good, but they seem "leggy" to me and I have had a couple (parsley, zinnias) just keel over (yet the adjacent same plant looks fine. Sorry this is so long, but at this point they are like my babies. Do I need to put them in bigger containers, and when? Also, I only have one light (hanging by a tripod over them). Once they are in bigger containers, where does the light hang? The little ones will be far away. This probably sounds silly but I truly don't know what to do. I need a better lighting system?

Last edited by camprn on 2/21/2015, 8:02 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : expand title)
momvetkat

Back to top Go down

Another newbie question: Light for seedlings Empty Re: Another newbie question: Light for seedlings

Post  slimbolen99 2/20/2015, 7:21 am

I would estimate that the plants that are keeling over are not getting enough light.  Even for seedlings, 2" is quite "high"...I like to keep my lights right on top, not touching, but close, to my seedlings early on.  You want to make sure you have good light coverage as well, any plants not directly under the lights will get less light.  You may need additional lights that you can raise and lower easily.

Hope that helps.  Don't give up.  With every failure, you learn. Trust me, I've been learning for a LONG time.  Smile
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Another newbie question: Light for seedlings Empty Re: Another newbie question: Light for seedlings

Post  mschaef 2/20/2015, 7:34 am

I can't help with the lights but as for the leggyness ( is the even a word Embarassed ) when you put them in bigger containers you can plant them deeper. That will give the a better root system as well as fix the leggyness.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 597

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/20/2015, 8:48 am

This picture may show you the lighting I am using, I'm happy with the results.
My lamps are fixed to the frame, I moved the trays down as needed\
I also rotate my trays every 2 days. Using a crock pot full of water, set on low with everything covered at night is giving me nice seedlings.
Another newbie question: Light for seedlings Sunday10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/20/2015, 9:29 am

momvetkat wrote: Also, I only have one light (hanging by a tripod over them). Once they are in bigger containers, where does the light hang? The little ones will be far away. This probably sounds silly but I truly don't know what to do. I need a better lighting system?
This is only my second season for starting seedlings inside so this is the only part of the question I can answer.  I also only have one light and different veggies growing under it.  The tomatoes are taller and the lettuce is real short.  So I use something underneath the shorter plants pots to raise them up.  I have a lot of scrap pieces of 2 x 4's that I stack or unstack as needed under each size pot.  Therefore, the shorter ones can be raised up higher to the lights.

I keep the lights right up next to the leaves.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/20/2015, 1:45 pm

Momvet, Is your weather warm enough to put the seedlings outside during the day? Nothing like real sunshine for plants. PS: I've got some legginess in some seedlings and this is my 3rd year of seeding indoors! Embarassed I think I need to take them outside when the weather permits.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21617

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/20/2015, 2:56 pm

I'm not currently using either a heating mat or lights.  I put the seeds in Jiffy pellets and put them in an east-facing window with the drapes open.  They seem to be doing fine. 

10/12 tomatoes have sprouted and are about 1" high.  The mini bells (6) haven't sprouted yet.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5599

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  momvetkat 2/20/2015, 11:55 pm

The weather has been extremely warm and I wish I had known about putting them out into the real sun. Unfortunately, I spend part of every work week out of town and I have to remind DH to turn the lights on, etc. Now it is supposed to cool off (rain Sun and Mon) but I will try to gradually get them out into "real" sun. Thanks. This forum is the best!
momvetkat

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/21/2015, 12:07 am

Timer. A seedling's best friend. DH found one with two 3-prong outlets so I can plug the outlet strip to it. I have 4 fluorescent tubes plugged into the outlet strip.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21617

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down