Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from N. Georgia Toplef10Hi from N. Georgia 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from N. Georgia I22gcj10Hi from N. Georgia 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from N. Georgia Toplef10Hi from N. Georgia 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from N. Georgia I22gcj10Hi from N. Georgia 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa Yesterday at 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm Yesterday at 9:15 am

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by Nancy Rae Yesterday at 8:40 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from N. Georgia

+3
sanderson
OhioGardener
krumpetina
7 posters

Go down

Hi from N. Georgia Empty Hi from N. Georgia

Post  krumpetina 7/28/2024, 6:04 am

hi all - not new to gardening, but new to SFG.  As a background, I have had gardens a long while, but for some reason this year - absolutely everything went 'south' very quickly.  my tomato plants never reached 15" tall.  I obtained a soil sample and let's just say it wasn't easy to figure out what to do - so here I am, and off today to get materials for the Mel's mix - to amend my garden soil. 

I plan on adding the mix to the top of the raised beds then covering with black plastic for a few weeks of solarization before planting autumn crops.  Or maybe i should wait on adding the mix until after the 3 weeks.  idk.  anyway...glad to be here.
krumpetina
krumpetina

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and Tonica24 like this post

Back to top Go down

Hi from N. Georgia Empty Re: Hi from N. Georgia

Post  OhioGardener 7/28/2024, 8:19 am

krumpetina wrote:I plan on adding the mix to the top of the raised beds then covering with black plastic for a few weeks of solarization before planting autumn crops.  Or maybe i should wait on adding the mix until after the 3 weeks.  idk.  anyway...glad to be here.

Welcome to the forums from Ohio!  Glad to have you here. You will find a wealth of information here to help with your journey in SFG.  Do you have one of the All New Square Foot Gardening books, preferably one of the later ones?

As for your beds, I would recommend that instead of amending the soil and solarizing it, you should remove the top 6" of the soil from the raised beds, and replacing it with Mel's Mix. Solarization will not be necessary, and you will get a clean start.  If possible, put the MM in this fall so that it can mature over the winter and give the microbial life a head start for next spring planting.
Hi from N. Georgia Screen16

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4709

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and krumpetina like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  krumpetina 7/28/2024, 10:36 am

thank you for the suggestion - what in the world would i do with that dirt?  we don't really have a weed problem, it's really more of a rest/reset thing and hoping the mels mix has some effect on the pH of the soil - which tested above 7.  no idea why that happened, as the last 4 years in the garden were completely awesome...till this year.

anyway - the beds are 12x3 and that's a lot of dirt to remove - we are both about 70 - LOL.  it's also about the timing on the solarization/reset thing - we are expecting a third grandchild in 3 weeks via planned c section - so starting anything now plant-wise would not be wise - we will be at her house 3 hours away for 2 weeks after to give her some recovery time.  that puts us about the last week of august to be back home and ready to plant for the fall.  it's just how things are seeming to shake out this year.  we usually only plant one bed for fall, and this year, we have a small round metal bed that is deep we plan on putting in carrots - it gets too cold here in Nga to do anything more.  by December we will have to take everything out but the carrots and rest the bed until mid April. 

Happy to be here, hoping to learn some things!
krumpetina
krumpetina

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/1/2024, 5:02 pm

Krumpetina, welcome to the Forum from California.   glad you\'re here

As OG recommended, read one of the editions of ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening.  The 4th edition is due out at the end of the year, so a used copy of the 2nd or 3rd edition will work fine for now.  Or check with your library.

One of the benefits of ANSFG is that the beds never need to rest.  That is a hold over from farming many years ago.  Each season we plant, we just mix in more blended compost and the microbes and roots do the rest of the feeding.

Another benefit is that no matter what the native soil is like (Georgia clay?), using raised beds filled with Mel's Mix means the growing medium is around 7.0 pH, is nutritious, and light and fluffy.

If you have 6" of head room in your beds, you can just make Mel's Mix (specific recipe) and top the beds with it.  An extra 1" of headroom is nice for mulching for bedding straw, E-Z Straw with Tack, pine needle mulch, or clean dry fall leaves.  

Method - Square Foot Gardening

PS: I just thought of something.  Did you see any signs of root knot nematodes?  Just a thought.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21603

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Scorpio Rising and krumpetina like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  krumpetina 8/2/2024, 6:44 am

hi and thanks for posting.  i do have almost 6 inches in 2 of the beds - so definitely not digging any of that out.  the third one will have to deal with however much i can put in there.  currently waiting on home depot to get the vermiculite in - as they had none in the store.  (have to read those pesky in stock notifications before driving there.)  it's been one of those weeks - if we can get a day without storms, we can mix things up and get going.
krumpetina
krumpetina

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/2/2024, 8:21 am

krumpetina wrote:currently waiting on home depot to get the vermiculite in - as they had none in the store.

Be very careful about buying/using the vermiculite from Home Depot. They normally only sell medium vermiculite, and do not carry coarse vermiculite.  You do not want to use medium vermiculite in your MM.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

donnainzone5, sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  krumpetina 8/2/2024, 8:39 am

i was actually able to order the coarse thru the website - viagro coarse and chunky?  does that sound right?  hope so, cause it's on it's way!
krumpetina
krumpetina

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonica24 8/2/2024, 12:30 pm

krumpetina wrote:hi all - not new to gardening, but new to SFG.  As a background, I have had gardens a long while, but for some reason this year - absolutely everything went 'south' very quickly.  my tomato plants never reached 15" tall.  I obtained a soil sample and let's just say it wasn't easy to figure out what to do - so here I am, and off today to get materials for the Mel's mix - to amend my garden soil. 

I plan on adding the mix to the top of the raised beds then covering with black plastic for a few weeks of solarization before planting autumn crops.  Or maybe i should wait on adding the mix until after the 3 weeks.  idk.  anyway...glad to be here.
Hey there! Welcome to the SFG community! Sorry to hear that your garden didn't do well this year, but it's great that you're taking proactive steps to improve your soil. Mel's mix is a game-changer! As for your plan, I'd recommend adding the mix after the solarization process. The heat from the sun will help kill off any pathogens and weed seeds, and then you can incorporate the mix into the soil. That way, you'll get the most benefit from both processes. But hey, I'm no expert, so take my advice for what it's worth
Tonica24
Tonica24

krumpetina likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/2/2024, 1:37 pm

Tonica24, I am curious, do you currently do Square Food Gardening? Would you visit the "Introduce Yourself" and tell us about yourself?

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2024, 3:36 pm

glad you\'re here To SFG, both of you!  It is well worth your time to get one of the books at your library, very good information.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8806

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/2/2024, 9:19 pm

Tonica24 wrote:
Hey there! Welcome to the SFG community! Sorry to hear that your garden didn't do well this year, but it's great that you're taking proactive steps to improve your soil. Mel's mix is a game-changer! As for your plan, I'd recommend adding the mix after the solarization process. The heat from the sun will help kill off any pathogens and weed seeds, and then you can incorporate the mix into the soil. That way, you'll get the most benefit from both processes. But hey, I'm no expert, so take my advice for what it's worth
Tonica, We do not mix Mel's Mix into existing soil. It is a stand-alone growing medium. We do put 6-7" on top of existing soil if the beds are deep enough to accommodate it. Otherwise, we remove enough material for it to fit.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21603

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

OhioGardener and krumpetina like this post

Back to top Go down

Hi from N. Georgia Empty What to do with old soil

Post  Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:43 pm

I put it in my compost bin to be renewed and reused. I have 2 bins and have fresh compost and developing compost.
Hollysmac
Hollysmac

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

Hey, everyone.  Sorry I'm late to this party.  Been in N GA getting my mom moved for the last several weeks.

Krumptetina & Tonica24, welcome!  Hollysmac, good to see you.

I'm Marie from the Buford, GA area.  

You've already gotten some good advice.  :-)  Glad you're here!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5597

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

krumpetina likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: