Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Toplef10Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) I22gcj10Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Toplef10Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) I22gcj10Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please)

+13
sceleste54
Cajun Cappy
CapeCoddess
Nonna.PapaVino
Patty from Yorktown
AtlantaMarie
herblover
sanderson
Turan
camprn
RoOsTeR
plantoid
brainchasm
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Empty Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please)

Post  brainchasm 11/20/2014, 8:14 pm

So, I broke down and bought a little 6qt slow cooker the other day, and have been trying things out in it.  It's hit or miss, to be honest.  Amazing apple cinnamon oatmeal, but lackluster beef stew, and even worse black bread (so far).

What are your A1, five-star slow cooker recipes?  Help this (sortof) bachelor make hearty, warming slow cooker meals!  Oh, and a killer savory black bread recipe would be really appreciated...

Very Happy

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Empty Re: Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please)

Post  plantoid 11/20/2014, 9:49 pm

2 large onions,  2 medium carrots , four sticks of chopped celery,   one 5 ounce potato cubed  and some salt . Clean chop & cube everything drop it in the bottom of the crock .
 Add eight or so 1.5 inch cubes of fresh beef that has some fat  in it after frying it in a hot pan to brown each side . roll the cubes of meat in some seasoned flour when all are done (  salt & peppered added to half a cup of flour ) .

If they won't all fit in the frying pan in  one go do a few at a time and place them on a plate till you have them all lightly browned & sealed on all sides  ..don't leave them frying longer than needed or else the meat will go leathery ..

Slip the lot in the crock on top of the veg
    Now fine chop two decent sized onions and fry then in the same dirty pan till a few edges get caramelized ,drop this in the crock on top of the meat . Use  1/4 pint of cheap red strong wine to boil up in the frying pan to remove the caramelized glaze , reduce the volume by half and pour over the crock contents ,  give a shake or three of coarse black pepper ,  add 1 pint of hot water & slow cook on auto for no more than five to six hours . ( perhaps use a timer switch ).

If you want to thicken it more  at the end of the cooking time pour off a pin t of the stock  liquid into a separate saucepan and add a teaspoon of cornflour  mixed in an egg cup of milk to the  liquid , bring it to the boil so the cornflower  breaks down & becomes a  thin sauce & it bubbles for three minutes stirring gently all the time  .

Keep stirring then  if OK to your taste pour it back over the crock pot contents , give the pot a gentle stir and leave on auto whilst you do some thing else for an hour .

Serve up with rounds of toasted crunchy French bread stick an inch thick . You may want to add more pepper and salt to taste just before serving it up in a soup bowl .

Note
 The gravy does not freeze well as it separates , so if you want to freeze any left overs drain off the gravy first and put it in the fridge to use in something else.

The crock pot is a brill way of making stock to add to future dishes    . For poultry stock use either a de fleshed fresh chicken of about three to four pounds or the cooked partly stripped out carcass of a bird the same size , break the bird up by hand  at the ribs so it will sit below the water line .

Add two large onions peeled & cut in half , two carrots cut in to 1 "  lengths ,  four chopped celery sticks  ( the holy trinity of cooking ) &  two teaspoons of salt ,cover with water and slow cook on auto overnight don't lift the lid to stir things , switch it off in the morning and when you come home from work  carefully remove the veg  , put them to one side covered over in the fridge for making soup with some of the stock & milk etc.
With the carcass , lift parts out one at a time and pick off the big bits of flesh , these can be souped or used in a small korma curry .

If you want a soft but chunky veg soup with some chicken stock , part fry the veg mentioned on the top line plus a small chopped parsnip ,  so the corners go soft.
Fry the onions then the carrots then the celery in that order and do them separately ,then put them all in the crock  add half a glass of strong cheap red wine  deglaze the frying pan if able & reduce as previously mentioned ,add the elixir . Stir it in a couple of times,   cover then slow cook overnight . Some of the veg will stay hard , the rest dissolves in to mush add some herbs half way through in a muslin tied bag remove just before serving . Add 1/4 to 1/3 pint of milk and give it a gentle whizz in with a hand held whizzer to turn some in to mush and leave some chunks .
 if your desperate you can use a pack of frozen winter stew mix veg but it's not as nice as frying and caramelizing the fresh veg first
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Empty Re: Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please)

Post  RoOsTeR 11/21/2014, 10:39 am

One of my favorites and incredibly simple.

Porks chops and sauerkraut. In the pot and cook till tender. 

That's the simple version and very tasty. 
If you want a bit more extravagant, season and sear the chops first. I prefer bone in chops (of coarse) but you can use without, and I've also used butt or shoulder. Slice up an apple or two, and an onion and toss that in with the kraut. I go heavy on the kraut! I make my own kraut, but that's another topic  Wink

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/21/2014, 11:48 am

RoOsTeR wrote:One of my favorites and incredibly simple.

Porks chops and sauerkraut. In the pot and cook till tender. 

That's the simple version and very tasty. 
If you want a bit more extravagant, season and sear the chops first. I prefer bone in chops (of coarse) but you can use without, and I've also used butt or shoulder. Slice up an apple or two, and an onion and toss that in with the kraut. I go heavy on the kraut! I make my own kraut, but that's another topic  Wink
Funny, I have a similar pork chop recipe. It's YUM! especially with the apples.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 11/21/2014, 2:13 pm

My kids favorite meal on cold nights was what we called Perloo, thinking of Pogo.  It was a rather loose recipe but here is the basic idea.

Browned sausage of some sort (elk with Italian seasonings in this house).  Cut up onion browned in the sausage pan.  Deglaze the pan with some water.
Throw all that in the crock pot.  Add 2 cups of brown rice, a handful or more of walnuts.  A layer of chunks of cauliflower or browned eggplant is good too.  A spare handful of lentils is good too.  Add bullion broth with some curry spices to just cover, about 4 cups to cook the 2 cups of rice.  Let it simmer away all day.  A touch of something acidic, like a can of tomatoes near the end or serve with yogurt.  The acid often helps the spices and herbs bloom.

My computer is hating Sfg forum today I hope this posts.  It took over an hour to type and let it sort itself out.  Some script is running amok i guess.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/21/2014, 3:38 pm

This Betty Crocker recipe is from 1969 when I got married (the first time).  This is my guide.  No sugar, please.  It's fun to read it to see how cooking has evolved.  However, browning the meat first is important for flavor and that can't be improved.  Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Recipe10
Chop your veggies into bite size:  carrots, celery, potatoes.  Place in slow cooker.  Chop an onion and garlic and lightly cook in oil in a skillet.  Remove and place in crock pot.  Flour the beef cubes with 1/2 cup of flour (in bowl or shake in a bag along with the salt, pepper, paprika, and allspice/ground cloves), brown in remaining oil, turning often for even browning.  Place in pot.  Add seasonings to pot [if not added to flour] : salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, paprika and allspice/cloves.  Add water to pot.  (I'm sure I add more than 2 cups??  Probably like 4 cups)  Cook on low-med for hours.  Add cup or so of frozen peas the last 10 minutes.

I had DH buy a round steak for making stew!  See what you started!!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 11/22/2014, 4:14 pm

Easy peasy "recipe"

Place a whole thawed chicken in crockpot seasoned as you please with 1/4 cup of water.  Cook on low all day (with my schedule is usually 10-12 hrs).  Comes out fall off the bone tender with lovely juices.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/22/2014, 4:27 pm

Herblover   +1

I like to make Bisquick drop biscuits by steaming them over the broth during the last few minutes.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Empty Sourkraut & Kilbasa

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/22/2014, 5:19 pm

1/3 cup honey mustard
1/3 cup light brown sugar (or Splenda equiv or a little molasses perhaps)
1 small onion cut in wedges
1 bottle dark beer

Mix together (preferably the night before cooking)

1 lb Kilbasa, cut into largish pieces
1 lb sourkraut, drained

Mix together w/ sauce in crockpot and cook on high for 4-5 hours.

YUMMM!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Empty chicken broth

Post  Patty from Yorktown 11/23/2014, 8:07 am

This is not as exciting as a whole meal, but it is the base to many great soups. Take a bunch of chicken bones or the remains of a whole cooked chicken, put it in the crockpot. Toss in an onion and a carrot. Fill the crockpot with water, toss in some herbs (I use Italian spices.)(Salt/pepper if you want too). Cook all day (8 hours or more). You will have a wonderful broth. If you have the time you can run a second batch off of the same bones. It will be weaker and less favorable. I just mix the two together when I am done. Anyways, pull out the bones and soggy veggies, cool the broth in the fridge to make it easy to skim off the fat. Enjoy.
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Empty Lemon chicken

Post  Patty from Yorktown 11/23/2014, 8:12 am

Take a whole chicken, remove the icky bits from inside. Take two lemons and cut in half. Put two halves on the outside and the rest back to back on the inside. You can rub salt and pepper on the outside. I do not generally bother. Cook for 6-8 hours. The chicken will fall off the bones and be flavored with lemon. You can save the broth from the chicken, but I find it a little difficult to use, do to the strong lemon flavor.
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/24/2014, 7:01 am

Have you tried using only 1/2 or 1/4 a pint of the broth in making three pints of veg soup ? 
use plain stock for the other liquids.
The lemon idea should make an interesting difference especially if you try and maks an Italian minestrone type soup

I've made some freezerbag holders out of 4 unch black rin water pipe . cut thm in 7 inch length and cut once north to south so it can exapned
 sand the edges dead smooth so teyb won't cut the bags
Slide a bag in the tube  3#2/3 fill with stcok  carefully transfer to fereezer and stand them upright for 24 hrs till it is froxen solid then either tied off the bag or if like me you can . heatseal the vac pac.

We have about 15 pints , half & quarter  pints of various stocks in the freezer for the slow cooker 7 soups as well as about 25 pints of pressure canned stock
  If you want to use the frozen bags of stock in the slow cooker ,  defrost it first and bring it to the boil for 4 min . Stuff out the pressure canned jars goes straight in.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/24/2014, 10:24 am

For slow cooker recipes already tested, this blogger seems to have a good handle on use of the cookers.  I've tried a couple the recipes, and have been pleased:  http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/24/2014, 1:23 pm

herblover wrote:Easy peasy "recipe"

Place a whole thawed chicken in crockpot seasoned as you please with 1/4 cup of water.  Cook on low all day (with my schedule is usually 10-12 hrs).  Comes out fall off the bone tender with lovely juices.
Only 1/4 C water?  That's not a typo?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/13/2014, 1:33 pm

Online this morning www.msn:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/recipes/24-slow-cooker-recipes/ss-BBgg6Cq?ocid=DELLDHP
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Empty Deer meat Cajun style

Post  Cajun Cappy 12/13/2014, 2:10 pm

A family favorite is this savory Cajun dish

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2013/01/deer-meat-sauce-piquante.html
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 12/13/2014, 8:43 pm

I just spent some delightful time going thru your blogspot Cajun Cappy !!  I'm gonna have to try that Chicken Spagetti !
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/14/2014, 9:01 am

Brainchasm

This is so simple and out of this world delicious--

Shredded Beef With Barbecue Sauce
Season a chuck roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Don't be shy pour it on.  Place in the slow cooker.  Pour in a splash of canned beef broth. Cover and cook on low  8 to 10 hours or on high 4 to 6 hours.  Your house will smell amazing. Shred meat. Stir in your favorite barbecue sauce. Done.

This makes Fantastic sandwiches! I've had visitors go totally silly over this stuff and look at me like I performed magic.

If you try this out let me know what you think!  Wink
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 12/14/2014, 12:12 pm

Thanks sceleste, our blog has over 600 posts that span over 10 years of of our world.  So glad you enjoyed your visit and please do come again.

Lama mama we do the same only a little different we dump in cajun seasoning and hot sauce and a lil woo sauce.  When we pullit apart and add BBQ we also add diced onion which clarifies but retains a slight crunch that is a wonderful addition.  For an added twist park ya roast in a smoker for half the cook time.  or substitute pork or venison for the cow.  
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/14/2014, 12:26 pm

ooooweee C.Cappy! I do Love the idea of diced onions. Brainchasm you getting all these ideas??
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 12/14/2014, 2:14 pm

We like to keep pulled beef or pork in the freezer in qt bags for quick meals snacks or unexpected company.  The last batch was pork here is what the finished product looks like:
Share your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) IMG_4540

Here is a link to all the fun we had making it.
http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2014/12/just-another-outdoor-december-sunday.html

The onions ya can see if ya look close they are lightly translucent and add textire and a slight crunch.  Also using the smoker brings it to a whole different level. Very Happy
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/16/2014, 2:48 pm

Turkey or Chicken Stew

Turkey or Chicken broth - for 6 quart slow-cooker, you may need 2 quarts...
Frozen Corn
Potatoes - peeled & chopped
Onion - chopped (frozen works well too)
Minced Garlic
Black Pepper
Turkey or Chicken Meat Base or bullion
Turkey or Chicken - cooked & chopped

Throw it all in the crock-pot, let it heat till bubbly.  Use whatever quantities you like personally.  Add in some diced tomatoes if you want.  I like carrots in it, but DH thinks it makes the stew too sweet...  Up to you!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/16/2014, 9:13 pm

Crock pot rice pudding

2 cups of raw rice soaked overnight, ( change water as needed to eliminate starches )

Ingredients
1/2 gallon whole milk
12 oz can of evaporated milk ( not sweetened )
4 fresh eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of raw rice ( not minute )
Raisins ( your choice )  I don't add them.

Place milk in the crock pot, turn on hi setting
Keep an eye on milk heating so not to burn.

In a blender add
4 eggs....2/3rds cup of evaporated milk....2 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup sugar.....( check milk for heat ).....
Blend till mixed...( check milk for heat )
Set aside in fridge with what evaporated milk remains also.( 1/3rd can )

Now the milk should be warming up good.
Once milk is hot ( very warm )  drain water from rice and add to warm milk / turn to
low setting and stir.  (always check for bottom sticking )
 ( check milk for heat )  always.. It's not going to burn if you keep an eye on it.
It may take 1/2 hour to 45  min for the milk/rice to warm sufficiently to add the
blended mix. 
Add 1/3rd cup of evaporated milk to the blended mix, stir and add to the hot rice in the
crock pot. ( stir )
 A time will come to turn off the crock pot, a time will come to take the crock pot out of
the heater ( providing your is inserted )

Remember the rice will continue to cook until it's cooled some.
I stay close by and stir stir stir, or it will clump up on the bottom.
After a few trys you'll get the hang of this and have the finest rice pudding you have
ever tasted.. ( In my opinion )
The original recipe did not used a crock pot, this was my way of wanting to do it for I
love cooking with a crock pot
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/17/2014, 11:02 am

here's a copy of the original for the above rice puddingShare your winningest slow cooker recipes! (please) Rice_p10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 12/20/2014, 5:04 pm

Oh, Jimmy Cee, love the old recipe with its notations.  A treasure to be sure.  Thanks for posting both iterations of this recipe.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next