Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas Toplef10Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas I22gcj10Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas Toplef10Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas I22gcj10Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas

+7
MASFG
grownsunshine
CapeCoddess
has55
AtlantaMarie
jjocsak
audrey.jeanne.roberts
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas Empty Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/4/2014, 12:12 pm

Anyone else here like to juice their veggies? Do you have a favorite recipe to share? How about something you use in your drinks from your garden that others might not think about using? What juicer do you use?

I started juicing last summer and planted my own veggies for juicing starting this winter. My Kale is doing fabulously, but because of our warm winter my Swiss Chard is trying to bolt on me as is my Chinese Cabbage. Oh well... I could be looking at another 16 inches of snow this weekend like my sister and brother-in-law in Minneapolis so I won't whine, LOL!

I have an Omega Slow Juicer. I started with a centrifugal style juicer and hated the mess and clean up. Since I like the green juices the most, I got the Omega. It's amazing how much juice it can wring out of a leaf! Clean up takes about 2 minutes so I don't mind pulling it out and using it.

What has your experience been?
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas Empty Re: Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas

Post  jjocsak 4/4/2014, 1:47 pm

I have an Omega Juicer as well. (VRT350)

My daily juice recipe is:
Kale (handful)
Spinach (handful)
Celery (2 stalks)
Carrots (3 or 4 large)
Cucumber (1 small)
Apple (1 small)

Makes about 22 oz.

Jeff
jjocsak
jjocsak

Male Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas Empty Re: Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/4/2014, 3:59 pm

We're going to buy one of those Nutribullets once we start getting ripe veggies.  We have a Jack Lalanne juicer, but it's a hassle! 

My neighbor juices and she said she'd start saving her stuff for my compost pile.  Lucky me!  All it cost was a bucket and some dried basil from last year.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5599

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/4/2014, 5:18 pm

Jeff:  I have the Omega horizontal juicer that's the equivalent of the 350.  It does pasta and since I'm allergic to wheat it allows me to make fresh pasta whenever I get the craving.

Marie:  Juicing remains are FAB for the compost pile (the worms love them too!)  

My current favorite recipe is something like this:

Kale
Cabbage leaves (or what ever greens I have excess of)
cucumber
1 lemon including rind (you can eliminate that if you don't like the bite)
Large handful of mint
Large handful of Lemon Balm
1 XLarge green apple or 2 small apples

I add 8 drops of liquid stevia to each mug of juice I make.

Sometimes I add a touch of ginger root as well.

The lemon balm and mint cut through the greens taste quite a bit.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/4/2014, 7:15 pm

Mmmmmm...  Sounds yummy, Audrey.Jeanne...  And I have most of that already.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/4/2014, 7:34 pm

Another favorite is Sweet Potato Pie Juice

Carrots
Large Sweet Potato
Red apple
Cinnamon

Stevia to taste
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/5/2014, 8:24 am

Okay, Audrey.Jeanne, you're making me drool!  That's not good in front of DH's students... lol.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/5/2014, 12:38 pm

Boy have I come a long way since last summer.  The first time I tasted Kale I wanted to spit it out, LOL!  Now I have some beautiful specimens in my yard!  

How much of what do you plant for juicing?  

Last summer I had Armenian Cucumbers and they were great as a base for lots of drinks.  They don't have too much of their own flavor and added a lot of moisture content.  Anything else you like to use as a base?
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/9/2014, 2:15 am

my wife and I love juicing. We focus a large part of our SFG on different types of greens, so that we have plenty of leaves to cut from and give the plants time to grow their leaves back. We like beet greens, turnip greens, swiss chard, kohlrabi, kale, mustard, spinach and lettuce. I like kale, my wife don't. The lettuce and mustard greens don't last long because they bolt as things begin heating up here in texas, but the others do well if I put shade cloth over them.

I like green smoothie- 1-2 frozen bananas, 1 cup of water , frozen Mixed fruit, a handful of any greens. sometimes I add almond milk

here's my mustard, collards bed below coming up

Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas Img_0218

Green Juicing: Growing & Recipes Ideas Img_0219
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/9/2014, 7:22 am

Has55 - I'm guessing the white pvc is for critter cages, hoop house, etc.  Is the brown pipe for irrigation?

And what are the green and black things?

Thanks.  Marie
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/9/2014, 8:39 am

I read in a magazine last night that pumpkin leaves and stems are edible. So I decided to look into all squash and found this great information:
http://m.voices.yahoo.com/eating-squash-leaves-other-useful-plant-bits-11225624.html

I'm so excited to have new greens for smoothies. And I'm wondering if juicing will eliminate the squash prickles. The first one who tries it, please let us know? It will be a long time before I'll have any.

So juice on, fellow "crunchy granola heads"! (That's what my son used to call me:)
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/9/2014, 8:56 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Has55 - I'm guessing the white pvc is for critter cages, hoop house, etc.  Is the brown pipe for irrigation?

And what are the green and black things?

Thanks.  Marie
the inner white pvc pipes is my portable SFG grid.
 the outer white pvc ,on the borders was this winter low hoop green houses. I had 6 of on them and removed all but 3, which will happen next week. I going to try another technique for next winter that I described in this thread-. page 9 ( It's wordy), The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic

the pipe is my underground drip irrigation on steroids watering system , I got from aquajet- AQUAJET IRRIGATION DELIVERY SYSTEM. I haven't turn it on yet because it been raining lately.

the green and black thing is my wide worm bin. It seem to be working. I started a thread on what i did here- SFG, the rain and a worm bin. It's at te bottom on page 1.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/9/2014, 9:00 am

CapeCoddess, that was an excellent link. Thank you.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/9/2014, 12:08 pm

Wonderful resource - I always wonder about what is and isn't edible leaf-wise.  My squash are getting big, I'll try some the next time I juice and let you know!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 4/9/2014, 1:17 pm

I use an champion juicer. It's old but solid. This is my second year doing sfg. Last year I didn't plant enough to generate a decent yield. This year I planted a LOT more plants and I have a bunch more seeds starting to sprout. I also have a new box that I'm starting to build.  I planted a bunch of chard, kale & cukes seeds with the hope of being able to juice. 

My general impression is you must have to grow a lot to be able to juice every day...or do you think you can just pick leaves and they will grow back? 

I was doing a detox juice diet last year. I'll see if I can find the recipes and post them.
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/9/2014, 1:32 pm

It does take a lot to juice every day, but many plants can be picked once a week or so and keep on producing, like Kale, Swiss Chard, spinach and the like.  Just leave enough leaves for them to keep growing and they'll produce like little champs!

I have mint planted in two large patio planters.  I find it's great for cutting the green taste and grows "like a weed" as we all know.  I just cut a few stems and add it to most juices.  

Sweet potato leaves are also edible and they produce more than you can eat as the summer progresses.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  MASFG 4/10/2014, 8:40 am

I have a Breville compact going on 8 years. I juice mostly greens,cartots , apples. Ginger, tumeric are great additions too. Oh and love adding parsley. I need to upgrade soon- not sure if I'll go with a masticating or another centrifical. Any advice or suggesting ?
MASFG
MASFG

Male Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/10/2014, 10:43 am

thanks audrey for the advice on mint. I will try it.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/10/2014, 11:35 am

What about the leaves of the cucumbers?  Are they edible?
And watermelon or cantaloupe leaves?

My DDIL loves smoothies and since I grow our garden for the whole family, I'd not want to waste leaves that are good for her smoothies.
Thanks for the info everyone.

Any more recipes?
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/10/2014, 1:21 pm

Quick search yielded this article:
http://www.gardensablaze.com/GardenQA/Edibles.htm
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/10/2014, 3:11 pm

Thanks audrey, that answers my questions.  I've made out my list of the good things so I won't forget.  Thanks again.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/13/2014, 10:50 am

I'm currently reading a fantastic book called "Rawlicious: Delicious raw recipes for radiant health". It has lots of great juice and smoothie recipes among other things. I got it from our library. Oodles of ideas for all our SFG bounty!
 study 
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/13/2014, 12:45 pm

MASFG wrote:I have a Breville compact going on 8 years. I juice mostly greens,cartots , apples. Ginger, tumeric are great additions too. Oh and love adding parsley. I need to upgrade soon- not sure if I'll go with a masticating or another centrifical. Any advice or suggesting ?
Sorry, I missed your post somehow!

Here's what I love about my Omega slow juicer:

1.  It cleans up in literally 2 minutes so I don't mind using it frequently.  It is very clean to use, where as my centrifugal juicer spread juice on the cabinets, counter and floor.

2.  It is very efficient and produces much less wasted food.  The waste is perfect for my worms or my compost depending on what needs to be fed more :-)

3.  The flavor is much better with the slow juicer.  It doesn't produce the heat that the friction of the centrifugal does so that the juice has a noticeably better flavor.

4.  It doesn't mix as much oxygen in when producing juice so the juice produced will stay fresh for about 3 days in the fridge.

5.  There is nothing better for getting the most out of greens than a slow juicer.  I will have a sink full of greens and will have 2 cups of remains for compost and a massive amount of juice in comparison.

6.  Once I have learned how to use the machine I never have jams.  I had jams all the time on my old machine.

7. It produces a little thicker, full body juice. You can screen it but I like the thicker texture. If you don't you might not want to go through the hassle of screening the juice.

TRADE OFFS:
1.  It has a very narrow chute to prevent over loading so food needs to be cut more.  I don't find this a big deal at all.  I chop an apple into thirds, then slice those into  about one inch strips.  It takes a few minutes more prep time which is balance out by the fast clean up time.

2.  You have to push the food through.  Again, a little slower process.

3.  Not super good for juicing fruit.  Anything hard or dry juices fabulously, the wetter the more challenging.  Alternating wet with hard stalk type items helps and going slowly helps as well.  Working too fast works against you.

WHEN YOU'RE READY
go to youtube and look for juicer comparison videos by John of "growing your greens"  He compares models against one another and lets you know their properties.  There is no PERFECT juicer, it all depends on what you want to do with it the most.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/9/2016, 4:59 am

Audrey, What model is your Omega juicer? Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21619

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/23/2017, 1:36 pm

Got left over juice pulp and feeling a bit guilty about tossing it all into the compost pile?
Check out these recipes:

61 Clever Juice Pulp Recipes: The Ultimate Guide to Use Up Juice Pulp
http://justjuice.org/juice-pulp-recipes/
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next