Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
spiders Toplef10spiders 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

spiders I22gcj10spiders 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
spiders Toplef10spiders 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

spiders I22gcj10spiders 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

spiders

+5
BackyardBirdGardner
Lurach
middlemamma
sherryeo
shannon1
9 posters

Go down

spiders Empty spiders

Post  shannon1 8/19/2011, 1:44 am

This year has been a good one for our eight legged friends here in north florida. For the most part I love spiders in my garden but as I have been moving things around I've come accross quite a few brown widows (yes there are such things) and their spikey little egg cases. I just clear the webs with a bamboo plant stake and crush the egg cases with my foot. I have found one black widow too. I found her at night while hunting horn worms and sprayed her with the soap,hot chilli, and garlic oil I use for the bug control it did the job.

The first thing I do each morning before I garden is clear all the webs as I hate walking into them. Why are they right where I want to put my face? Again I use my trusty bamboo plant stake. My DN Joyce (how hates all spiders) says "If I didn't know what you were doing I'd think you where blessing your garden."

Tell me your spider tales.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

spiders Empty spiders

Post  sherryeo 8/19/2011, 2:06 am

Years ago, during one of my row gardening attempts, I reached my hand out through a tomato's branches to reach for a nice, ripe tomato and almost grabbed a black widow spider! Yikes!!! I don't like spiders and snakes!

I have tried to convince myself that most spiders are harmless and actually good to have in the garden, but I'm just really afraid of them!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 848

Back to top Go down

spiders Empty Re: spiders

Post  middlemamma 8/19/2011, 2:47 am

I don't like walking into the webs either but I just leave them...I figure if they are eating the bugs that might be eating my plants they are welcome to stay! LOL
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2261

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/19/2011, 3:30 am

Most spiders I think of as my friends but not that kind that can land me in the hospital. I don't think it makes much of a differance to them if it is me or my stake that brakes their webs, but it does to me;)

They are indeed benifical insects but like mantis they eat any bugs they can catch including other benificals. Still I don't kill mantis or most spiders. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. This year they are realy thick I think due to the amount of food there is around for them. Widow spiders all three kinds black, brown, and red like it moist. They like my garden for that reason to be sure.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurach 8/22/2011, 12:19 pm

Holy cow!! We have those brown widow spiders and spiky egg cases everywhere around our house. I had no idea what they were. Just figured they were some innocuous yard spiders. Oh bleh! Bleh bleh bleh!! Now I need to go out and clear away all traces of them. Like right now. Or at least after 1300 when I can safely work outside again.

We found a black widow under the seat of an outdoor chair in the spring. That one had to go with a quickness. I generally have no problem with spiders, especially since they help out with insect control. But we have kids, and I can't have harmful spiders hanging about. Ack! Shocked
Lurach
Lurach

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/22/2011, 1:17 pm

I can tell you a spider tale from a different locale.

I used to do a LOT of fishing on a commercialized lake in NE Oklahoma (Grand Lake, for you Okies). For more than half a dozen years, I was down there almost every weekend from St. Patrick's Day to Halloween, and sometimes beyond. And, I used to get so sick of my father taking his houseboat over to his friend's house and parking it for the day. I got so ridiculously bored because there just wasn't anything to do for a young boy, all alone, but fish. Oh, sure, I'd skip my rocks, swim places most wouldn't dare go, and whatnot. But, 90% of my time was fishing.

August really sucked. August is when all the spiders seemed to magically appear. Saturday mornings were spent clearing webs off and around the boat. Sundays were, too....lol.

But, mostly, August was the time when every spider would try and find ANY place to spin up a web. And, the most common place......right between dock poles. Right in the walkways.

So, as I would do a lot of fishing from dusk until 11-ish, I would find every danged web spun that night. And, most of the leftovers from places people had not been in a week or more.

But, I learned one great technique for anyone fishing the docks like I used to. Heck, if you have that lifestyle, tell your kids/grandkids. Walk with the pole out in front of you. And, constantly wave that pole up and down when you cross the dock poles. Most of the webs will end up on your pole, and you only feel a straggling webline or two...and that's annoying enough. However, don't dip your pole in the water to rinse it off. Something about water turns those webs into concrete and you will have a much harder time getting the webs off your pole. Instead, you have to bite the bullet and take them off with your hands. Just hope you don't get a spider when you do....
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2710

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/23/2011, 12:12 am

I can see you now, blessing the docks with your fishing pole.spiders 889526
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/20/2012, 12:14 pm

Orb Weaver spiders can be a true blessing a garden. They are great, efficient predators of numerous garden pests. I welcome them in my garden.

However, not all spiders are good for the gardener. Being the practical Yankee that I am, I truly believe that being forewarned is being forearmed. Knowledge is a great thing and using it wisely helps all the creatures in my garden.

An incomplete but oh so handy spider chart. <~~~click

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

spiders WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffhbell 5/24/2012, 11:18 am

camprn wrote:Orb Weaver spiders can be a true blessing a garden. They are great, efficient predators of numerous garden pests. I welcome them in my garden.

However, not all spiders are good for the gardener. Being the practical Yankee that I am, I truly believe that being forewarned is being forearmed. Knowledge is a great thing and using it wisely helps all the creatures in my garden.

An incomplete but oh so handy spider chart. <~~~click

Good link to list of dangerous spiders.

In my yard, I can count on finding Black Widow spiders. Not every day or month, but I end up killing one or two a year.

If only there was a spider that hunted and eats those d%$& nasty large grasshoppers! affraid

Jeff
jeffhbell
jeffhbell

Male Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/24/2012, 2:49 pm

neet link spiders 109486 Camprn
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 563

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/25/2012, 3:33 am

Nice link I have banana spiders everwhere out side also called golden orb weavers. I detest walking through their webs. I can be seen each morning waving my anti-web wand (tomato stake) around the garden before the chores comance. I think my neibors must think I'm crazy since they can't see the webs.Laughing
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffhbell 5/31/2012, 10:06 am

Well, in my shed, I found a Black Widow. Nice size too. Body size between a nickle and a quarter. I hated to kill such a beautiful spider, but with my 4 yr old. they are just too dangerous!

See pictures.
spiders Black_11

spiders Black_10
jeffhbell
jeffhbell

Male Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 5/31/2012, 12:21 pm

shannon1 wrote:Nice link I have banana spiders everwhere out side also called golden orb weavers. I detest walking through their webs. I can be seen each morning waving my anti-web wand (tomato stake) around the garden before the chores comance. I think my neibors must think I'm crazy since they can't see the webs.Laughing

Been there! We lived in Florida for 16 years. One time my husband was walking through woods, walked into one of those webs and spider was on his hat...BLAH!
Wink
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 279

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down