Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Walmart deal - Page 2 Toplef10Walmart deal - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Walmart deal - Page 2 I22gcj10Walmart deal - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Walmart deal - Page 2 Toplef10Walmart deal - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Walmart deal - Page 2 I22gcj10Walmart deal - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Walmart deal

+12
Dunkinjean
ModernDayBetty
Denese
trukrebew
shannon1
moswell
westie42
littlesapphire
Goosegirl
HouseofWool
camprn
kev
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Walmart deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Walmart deal

Post  moswell 8/15/2011, 10:18 pm

Dunkinjean wrote:Moswell,

I am from Central NJ also. Which Walmart location did you go to?

Thanks.

It was the one in North Brunswick on Rt. 1. I might try the one in Edison on Wednesday since I'll be going past it.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 8/15/2011, 10:34 pm

@moswell, If you trek a bit further out to Route 22 in Watchung, there should be a lot of strawberry plants left, mostly June bearing. And I know I saw some asparagus still in the bottom of the box when I was there yesterday.
The boxes were standing right next to the inside doors of the garden entrance. Good luck!

@Kev, thanks for the tip on soaking. I was hoping to get them dug in today with that late break in the rain, but my jobby-job had to come first! Better luck tomorrow!
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/15/2011, 10:38 pm

trukrebew wrote:@moswell, If you trek a bit further out to Route 22 in Watchung, there should be a lot of strawberry plants left, mostly June bearing. And I know I saw some asparagus still in the bottom of the box when I was there yesterday.
The boxes were standing right next to the inside doors of the garden entrance. Good luck!

@Kev, thanks for the tip on soaking. I was hoping to get them dug in today with that late break in the rain, but my jobby-job had to come first! Better luck tomorrow!

Thanks! I'm not sure I want to head in the opposite direction (I have to go up to Union on Wednesday), but if I decide to brave WalMart again I'll give it a try. Smile
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/16/2011, 8:44 am

I got a deal yesterday, though not from Walmart. I went down to my local True Value hardware store and what did my little eyes see? Seeds for sale! 25 cents a packet! They were mostly flowers, but I spotted carrots and cucumbers as well, so I grabbed up the last three packets of carrots.

I know each True Value is privately owned though so each one is different, but I thought I'd pass on my find for anyone interested Smile
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 825

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  kev 8/16/2011, 11:04 am

I'm glad some of you got some.Very Happy I told some guys at work and we took a trek to a walmart close to my job at lunchtime.I ended up with 3 kinds of shallots,3 kinds off garlic,more strawberries and they were 2 cents there too.Spent 96 more cents though.I'm in this for about $3.60 now;) .I'll be planting all week now,I guess.

Another good place to watch is Lowes.I beat up their clearance rack all the time and get some great deals.In the spring,I caught $5 strawberry plants for a quarter.Bought 50,then went and bought 40 more.
kev

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/16/2011, 11:30 am

Hey Kev, congrats again on your nice haul! I don't know how much gardening you have done in the past, but if I may offer a small piece of unsolicited advice, it would be to not put horseradish into your SFG. Plant it elsewhere, it has taproot and can become invasive. http://tomclothier.hort.net/page22.html

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Walmart deal - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 8/16/2011, 11:58 am

I checked out my Walmart on Sunday night. No roots left. Sad

But... I did end up buying a $500 display model wood playset for my boys for $87! woo-hoo!

still going to check out other walmarts for the roots though- I want to double my asparagus!!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/16/2011, 2:16 pm

Going to Walmart in Watchung, NJ shortly to see what is left!

Thanks. cheers
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kev 8/16/2011, 5:35 pm

camprn wrote:Hey Kev, congrats again on your nice haul! I don't know how much gardening you have done in the past, but if I may offer a small piece of unsolicited advice, it would be to not put horseradish into your SFG. Plant it elsewhere, it has taproot and can become invasive. [url=http://tomclothier.hort.net/page22.html
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page22.html[/quote[/url]]

Thanks,I have some experience but still learning.I have a regular garden and a square foot garden.
kev

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/17/2011, 12:00 am

Went to Walmart this afternoon in Watchung, NJ and found the $.02 strawberry plants and garlic bulbs. I might as well try them this fall. They still have some left. Very Happy
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 8/18/2011, 11:25 pm

Glad you got something, Dunkinjean. I had to pass on the garlic because I didn't thing that I knew enough about how to grow it. Good luck!
trukrebew
trukrebew

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/19/2011, 12:01 am

I don't lknow much about garlic either, just read a bit about it. But might as well try!

Thanks.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/19/2011, 6:18 pm

DunkinJean, if you got good seed garlic, and a place to plant it, you know almost everything you need to know about planting garlic. We knew nothing about growing garlic when we stuck our first cloves in the ground years and years ago. Just plant the biggest cloves in each head (eat the runts), and consider adding a bit of bulb food (same stuff you put on your tulip bulbs) to your Mel's Mix if you're reusing a couple of the squares. That should do it. Cold weather will help them form good roots, and they'll sprout in the spring. Side dress them with a bit of mixed compost when the greens are up about 10", and again a month later. Then just sit back and wait for a harvest. Do you know what variety of garlic you bought? Soft neck or hard neck? If it's a hard neck variety, you'll have the additional pleasure of cutting the scapes, steaming them and eating them like asparagus. Yum. Enjoy, Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1435

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/19/2011, 10:38 pm

Nonna:

It doesn't state if it is softneck or hardneck on the package. I guess I will have to see in the spring! Thanks for your advice. I will certainly try. Laughing
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  kev 9/1/2011, 9:01 pm

Well,all the shallotts and garlic came up.Asparagus is popping out more spears everyday,some of the strawberries are growing(not as many as I planted).Haven't seen any rhubarb or horseradish come up yet.

I wasn't expecting all of it to grow,some things looked dry,but I guess I got my moneys worth.
kev

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 9/2/2011, 2:06 am

I'd say you got more than your money's worth, kev! I'm kicking myself b/c I have yet to get my asparagus into the ground. Hey, they've been sitting around all summer, what's a few more weeks, right?

Actually, I had planned to dig'em in last weekend, but cutting up the tree thrown down by Irene left my back totally out of whack. Fortunately, that's the only damage I really had from her!

I did manage to coax the kids and some friends to start digging the trench. They did pretty good since they were going deep instead of wide. At least it's a start. I'll hopefully be well enough this weekend to get in there and finish what they started.

But I did manage to plant 80 white and 80 yellow onion bulbs from the Walmart deal sometime last week. (At 2 cents a bag, that's only 2.5 thousandths of a cent per onion!!) I had some serious doubts about most of them because they were SOOO dry and felt like nothing but the outer skin. Wouldn't you know that at least 95% of them have sprouted already! Now I wish I had picked up some of that garlic, after all!
trukrebew
trukrebew

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 4/8/2012, 11:49 pm

@kev, Update from last fall's cheap score: My asparagus plants are finally sprouting! They never came up before the winter, but are up coming up now. I counted about 15 skinny little things poking out of the ground.

I was so excited that I ran the soaker hose around them but accidentally broke one. Sad I'll be more careful, but I also have to keep the deer from finding them before I start to harvest. Since these are now in their 3rd year, I can pick them at leisure, right?
trukrebew
trukrebew

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/9/2012, 2:27 am

this is my first year to plant asparagus.....but...from what i have read....pick the ones that are at least a pencil thick Very Happy

congrats and enjoy!!.....ours havent come up yet.....we planted them late....we shall see Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2422

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/9/2012, 9:29 am

@Family......Its OK to pick them the 3rd year, but only those that are finger-sized and only for 2-4 weeks.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  kev 4/15/2012, 8:46 pm

trukrebew wrote:@kev, Update from last fall's cheap score: My asparagus plants are finally sprouting! They never came up before the winter, but are up coming up now. I counted about 15 skinny little things poking out of the ground.

I was so excited that I ran the soaker hose around them but accidentally broke one. Sad I'll be more careful, but I also have to keep the deer from finding them before I start to harvest. Since these are now in their 3rd year, I can pick them at leisure, right?

We've been getting a good amount for a few weeks.I've been cutting stalks that have more than one stalk coming out of the plant.Cut some,leave some.Some skinny,some fat,and they keep growing more.

I have flowering strawberry plants coming out of my ears.If they all turn into fruit,we'll be doing very well with them.Very Happy Onions,garlic,and shallotts all over,rhubarb is up,haven't seen any horseradish.

On another deal from the fall,I cleaned up at Lowes on clearance fruit bushes.Kiwi,blueberry,blackberry,raspberry,and grapes for about a buck a piece on average.Everything is doing great.I have blueberry blooms covering the bushes.I could never get them to grow before,but I guess I did something right this time;) .We'll see soon how it comes out,so far,so good.
kev

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2