Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives Toplef10Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives I22gcj10Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives Toplef10Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives I22gcj10Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa Yesterday at 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm Yesterday at 9:15 am

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by Nancy Rae Yesterday at 8:40 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives

+3
Scorpio Rising
Mikesgardn
OhioGardener
7 posters

Go down

Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives Empty Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives

Post  OhioGardener 7/31/2024, 3:55 pm

The time has come for me to start downsizing our gardens for the autumn of our lives. I have 240 sq ft of raised beds, and the soil in the beds has become highly fertile because of the many years of adding homemade compost and coffee grounds. For the last several years I have been decreasing the number of each type of plant grown, but thy are still producing way too much food for us. We no longer have a family to feed, just us two octogenarians living out our golden years.

As an example, today I removed one of the Eggplants, chopped it up, and put it in the compost bin. I had three plants, and we were picking 2 or 3 eggplants every day from those plants..We can’t begin to eat that many eggplants, and it is hard to find enough neighbors to help take some of them. While I am already planning on the type and number of plants for the fall gardens, I need to start planning how to drastically downsize next year’s gardens. What do I do with the square footage of the beds that will not need to be planted with the downsizing? Maybe I’ll turn some of them into perennial flowers. A side effect is that I will need to start making less compost, which means I’ll have to stop picking up juice bar pulp, etc.. I have so greatly enjoyed my hobby of gardening for many years, but such is life dealing with aging…..

Suggestions on downsizing, what to do with the open beds, etc.?

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4709

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

shellyjas, Scorpio Rising and pastor99 like this post

Back to top Go down

Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives Empty Re: Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives

Post  Mikesgardn 7/31/2024, 4:39 pm

My square foot garden has evolved over time.  When my kids were toddlers, I built a very large sandbox for them, measuring about 12'x12'.   In 2008, they outgrew it, so I converted it into my first square foot garden.  My children are now grown up and moved on, so I converted it into a zinnia garden this year.  I still have three 4'x4' boxes for veggies though.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 288

sanderson, shellyjas and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives Empty Re: Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2024, 8:37 pm

Honestly, OG, I would put your best MM into your beds that you want to keep going.  I would plant your reminding beds with perennials that may or may not require upkeep.   Good for you!!!!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8806

OhioGardener, sanderson and shellyjas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/1/2024, 4:46 pm

OG,  I've been thinking the same thoughts.  I'm approaching 76 and I'm guessing I will basically stop most of the gardening around 80.  That means that most canning, dehydrating and freezing will stop, also.  

Are you open to flowers?  Both perennial and annuals?  Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives 274447 Or else haul surplus veggies to food banks or a free stand in front of the house.  Flowers sound like much less responsibility.  Wink  Razz

I'm picturing flowers in most of my table top beds.  Colorful snapdragons and pansies in the winter here in California.  Hot pink Zinnias and moss rose, blue salvia, white vincas in the summer.   

Veggie-wise, wintertime is easier gardening for me with brassicas (covered with bridal tulle), cilantro, lettuce carrots, garlic, bush peas.  Maybe 50 square feet of beds for veggies with flowers in the empty squares??  For summer, 3 slicers instead of 30 tomato plants, 2-3 peppers instead of 14, bush Blue Lake beans instead of pole, 3 Muncher and 3 Beit Alpha cucumbers, 1-2 Armenian cucumbers.  Two (2) rounds of Yukon Golds.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21603

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

shellyjas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  krumpetina 8/5/2024, 4:04 pm

have you thought of donating the excess to a local food charity?  up where I live, the local churches that double as some food bank type operations are very grateful for anything - and the area does have a robust farmer's market, but that excess doesn't get passed on.
krumpetina
krumpetina

VJ72584 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  VJ72584 8/5/2024, 8:27 pm

If you have extra definitely give it away. Maybe even at a senior center. So many of my older friends are struggling with buying produce or fruit they want.  The prices are just so high now.  I get that it is getting too much just to plant them all and water and put up everything. I am beginning this year to have a harder time getting my acre mowed. My brother suggested planting a lot more tree and just having a forest out back that I do not mow. I plant less flowers than before. I dread having to pay for help.  My square foot garden is smaller than yours so for now I will keep it.
VJ72584
VJ72584

Female Posts : 100

krumpetina likes this post

Back to top Go down

Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives Empty Share with food banks

Post  Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

https://ampleharvest.org/.     This organization connects  Gardners with local food banks. I am 79 and this way I can still grow but not waste food.
Hollysmac
Hollysmac

krumpetina likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down