Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? Toplef10Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? I22gcj10Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? Toplef10Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? I22gcj10Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes?

+4
shannon1
littlejo
camprn
Cincinnati
8 posters

Go down

Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? Empty Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes?

Post  Cincinnati 6/29/2011, 8:38 am

I am about to build my first raised bed garden. I for the past two years I used Earthboxes. Great concept, but I had poor tomato yields because of blossom end rot. The soil that came with the Earthboxes is "Potting Mix". They also came with one pound of 7-7-7 fertilizer and a pound of dolomitic lime. Per the instructions, the lime was to be evenly spread in a layer about 4: below the surface of the potting mix. The fertilizer to be buried in a trench two inches below the surface. A friend with Earthboxes outgrew me with no blossom end rot. He mixed a shovel of lime (Probably double what I used) and mixed it in rather than a layer of lime.

For my first fall garden, I want to create a SQFT box and plant tomatoes among a few other veggies. I haven't read about anyone adding lime to their MM. I'm in the humid south, although fall is not as humid as late spring/early summer.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? Empty Re: Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes?

Post  camprn 6/29/2011, 12:26 pm

Lime is used to adjust the pH. It takes some months to break down and do it's work. I use a handful of wood ash per square to achieve the same result quickly. I suggest reading up a bit on soil nutrition and pH may answer some more pending questions that you may have.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? Empty blossom end rot

Post  littlejo 6/30/2011, 11:32 am

Blossom end rot is caused by calcium deficiency. If your dirt has enough calcium, then water the plants more because the calcium is only absorbed with water.
To fix calcium problems quickly, grind up egg shells finely and put around plants, water well. Or mix milk and water and pour under the plants for a quick fix. Or use the wood ash as camprn said.
You probably won't have this problem using MM.
JO
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? Empty Re: Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes?

Post  camprn 6/30/2011, 11:54 am

littlejo wrote:Blossom end rot is caused by calcium deficiency. If your dirt has enough calcium, then water the plants more because the calcium is only absorbed with water. You probably won't have this problem using MM.
JO
I did, in my new boxes last year. We'll see how this year goes with all the new homemade compost.

Last edited by camprn on 6/30/2011, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed the usual typos)
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 7/1/2011, 1:08 am

Cincinnati wrote:I am about to build my first raised bed garden. I for the past two years I used Earthboxes. Great concept, but I had poor tomato yields because of blossom end rot. The soil that came with the Earthboxes is "Potting Mix". They also came with one pound of 7-7-7 fertilizer and a pound of dolomitic lime. Per the instructions, the lime was to be evenly spread in a layer about 4: below the surface of the potting mix. The fertilizer to be buried in a trench two inches below the surface. A friend with Earthboxes outgrew me with no blossom end rot. He mixed a shovel of lime (Probably double what I used) and mixed it in rather than a layer of lime.

For my first fall garden, I want to create a SQFT box and plant tomatoes among a few other veggies. I haven't read about anyone adding lime to their MM. I'm in the humid south, although fall is not as humid as late spring/early summer.
I just used straight Mel's Mix and I have not had any trouble with BER. I freind of mine was growing in a more traditional potting soil and he did have BER issues. It is hot-t-t-t-t and humid here for sure.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/1/2011, 3:19 am

Lime would definitely be counter productive in MM. And I agree with everyone here. If you want to give yourself peace of mind, then a calcium supplement would make more sense. Good luck.

The thing I got from last year was that it is ok to spray for fungus all season. I have never had a plant that did not succumb to wilt, etc. Apparently there is no getting away from it here. When I saw my son's disease free plants in Sacramento I was stunned. I never knew it was possible.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone add lime to their SQFT box for tomatoes? Empty 3 Questions for Members Growing Tomatoes in MM

Post  Cincinnati 7/1/2011, 10:41 am

Chopper wrote:Lime would definitely be counter productive in MM.... If you want to give yourself peace of mind, then a calcium supplement would make more sense. Good luck.

I thought lime was a calcium supplement. 1. Why is lime counter productive?

2. What is a calcium supplement that is useful in MM? I don't use enough eggs to have that many shells. Plus I would think they don't break down fast enough to be effective for Blossom End Rot.

Obviously, compost is the nutrient portion of the soil. Is this forum claiming there are adequate nutrients including calcium in the mix? I know Mel's claim is that he hasn't needed fertilizer in the decade or so he has been using this method. But I've read that peat Moss is acidic; and Tomatoes need a basic soil. 3. Are you successfully growing tomatoes (without Blossom End Rot) in MM without adjusting pH or adding Calcium?

Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/1/2011, 10:45 am

this link from another forum may be helpful.
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/1/2011, 1:33 pm

Cincinnati wrote: Is this forum claiming there are adequate nutrients including calcium in the mix?

No, Mel made that assessment. I took him at his word by buying or making good compost from the beginning. I'm into my sixth year and have never used fertilizers or other supplements. I just haven't seen the need to.

Another perspective: some folks think the first set of fruit on a plant are susceptible to BER because cool temps prevent the plant from taking up the calcium. Farther along in the growing season when the soil is warmer, there tends to be a lot less.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  fiddleman 7/1/2011, 4:31 pm

I thought lime was a calcium supplement. 1. Why is lime counter productive?
Lime is counterproductive if it isn't needed. Mel's Mix works wonderfully if you follow his instructions accurately. If you really suspect some sort of nutritional deficiency because you didn't follow his advice then get the mix tested, and amend as recommend by the soil test. To just say "I might have soil deficiencies and then adding stuff willy nilly which someone else recommended because of their issues doesn't make sense. Too much of a good thing is just as bad as too little of a good thing. Too much calcium will cause issues and if you don't know how much would be the right amount, your just gonna cause yourself grief. If someone is recommending something based on their experience please remember your soil mix and theirs will be different likely requiring different solutions to any problems. So if you're having problems, get it tested by a testing service and not by a "kit" you buy at the hardware store.

Mel's mix works, give a try in one square exactly as recommended and see how it does against what changes you want to do to the garden.

2. What is a calcium supplement that is useful in MM? I don't use enough eggs to have that many shells. Plus I would think they don't break down fast enough to be effective for Blossom End Rot.

Are you having blossom end rot with your Mel's mix currently? Why upset the mix if not needed?

Obviously, compost is the nutrient portion of the soil. Is this forum claiming there are adequate nutrients including calcium in the mix? I know Mel's claim is that he hasn't needed fertilizer in the decade or so he has been using this method. But I've read that peat Moss is acidic; and Tomatoes need a basic soil. 3. Are you successfully growing tomatoes (without Blossom End Rot) in MM without adjusting pH or adding Calcium?

Yes, I am successfully growing tomatoes without Blossom End Rot in Mel's Mix without adjusting pH or adding calcium. They plants are setting fruit right and left and are growing wonderfully now that some warmer weather has finally arrived in my neck of the woods!

Good compost is powerful in more ways than just providing nutrition, in that it also provides a wealth of good bacteria and trace elements which may not be provided by straight fertilizer. Try one square with Mel's Mix - if done right, it WILL knock your socks off! cheers

Mark
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 7/1/2011, 10:06 pm

Just to chime in, all 16 of my tomato plants are growing well with straight MM. I have 2 that where mostly destroyed by caterpillars and are making a comeback. I have 2 that I transplanted out of a square that was growing 3(I'm still not sure how that happened..I guess some seeds stuck to my fingers that I didn't see). Initially I was just going to throw them into the compost pile(so I was not gentle with them and shook off all the MM), but decided to stick them in more MM. Then one of those transplants snapped off at the soil level and I just stuck the lower stem back into the MM(those fuzzy bits on the stem can produce roots). Both of those transplants are doing fine, which surprised me. I even planted a lot of the tomato seeds outside of the planting dates.

For the record: Evil or Very Mad I hate caterpillars Evil or Very Mad
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/2/2011, 3:37 pm

Lime is big ph adjuster and as planned, the MM should not need ph adjustment.

I do concur that if you took care with the original gathering of a variety of compost sources then nutrient deficiency should not be a problem. It is definitely a case of doing things right at the foundation end and saving yourself time later on. If you are not seeing any BER I would hold out and watch. You can always add a calcium supplement later at the first sign should that be the case.

And as far as which, I am no expert. I just see what is available at the local stores and read the labels.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down