Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG not working out Toplef10SFG not working out 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG not working out I22gcj10SFG not working out 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG not working out Toplef10SFG not working out 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG not working out I22gcj10SFG not working out 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG not working out

+22
JennAndCompany
TejasTerry
floyd1440
Nicola
gwennifer
martha
westx
jennifer37918
plantoid
tomperrin
hruten
Goosegirl
landarch
Pepper
No_Such_Reality
CharlesB
Hoggar
BrotherNorm
camprn
Cincinnati
donnainzone5
zenful6219
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SFG not working out Empty SFG not working out

Post  zenful6219 4/19/2012, 9:14 am

I read the new SFG book this past winter and was very intrigued. I have 40 square feet (sf) of raised beds all six inches deep. Mel's Mix Calculator determined I needed 25 cf of Mel's Mix (8.33 cf of each ingredient). I used bailed peat moss and huge bags of coarse vermiculite. I searched every store in the area for 5 different kinds of compost and ended up with turkey, mushroom, chicken, cow, and one other kind, but I can't remember the type.

I have yellow squash, tomatoes, basil, onions, bell pepper, cantaloupe, zinnias, corn, dahlia, and okra planted (using the guidelines per square foot).

It was unusually warm here in North Texas in late February, March and April, so I had most everything planted between the first and middle part of March.

The problem is everything is growing very slowly and some of it actually looks unhealthy or stressed. The cantaloupe which were germinated indoors during February and planted in mid March haven't grown at all. Another cantaloupe I planted in a Earthbox at the same time, is doing fantastic. In fact, I've planted some of the same kinds of plants in Earthboxes at about the same time and they are ALL doing much better than those in the SFG. The okra, which I grew from seed directly in the SFG around the first of March, still have their first leaves and have not grown at all since.

Because I thought I had properly followed the Mel's Mix "recipe" my first instinct was not enough water. I'd begun to notice that the media always seemed a little dry, by finger test. I water every other morning, but by afternoon, the media always seemed overly dry. So I added a layer of Texas Native Hardwood mulch to help retain water. That seems to be keeping the media moist, but not saturated. That was two weeks ago, but still no significant growth.

So I'm really getting discouraged. I'll post pictures later today.

zenful6219
zenful6219

Male Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

SFG not working out Empty Re: SFG not working out

Post  donnainzone5 4/19/2012, 11:02 am

You may be correct that water is the problem. Did you wet down your Mel's Mix thoroughly before planting?

Another possibility is that one or more of your composts contained peat, which would throw off the balance of ingredients.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

SFG not working out Empty I've got SQFT + Earthboxes too

Post  Cincinnati 4/19/2012, 11:11 am

Bummer!

I had a problem with my 14 earthboxes during my fall season. It is frustrating to lose a crop.

I dumped most of the soil and started over in most of the boxes. They are doing very well as are my SQFT beds.

I'm in Lower Alabama. The heat here is enough that I water my beds daily. I too notice the beds drying our every other day. I was watering my lettuce 2X per day because it was looking a bit "saggy" in the mid afternoon sun. The MM drains very fast. Experiment with one of your boxes by increasing watering (amount or frequency) and see what difference a week makes.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  zenful6219 4/19/2012, 12:28 pm

Cincinnati wrote:Bummer!

I had a problem with my 14 earthboxes during my fall season. It is frustrating to lose a crop.

I'm not having a problem with the Earthboxes. The same type of plants in the Earthboxes are growing like crazy and they were planted on the same days as those in my SFG beds.
zenful6219
zenful6219

Back to top Go down

Post  zenful6219 4/19/2012, 12:31 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:You may be correct that water is the problem. Did you wet down your Mel's Mix thoroughly before planting?

Another possibility is that one or more of your composts contained peat, which would throw off the balance of ingredients.

The mix seemed wet, not saturated or dripping, before I planted. It just seems like the mix dries out faster than normal growing media. As far as the mix being out of balance. I suppose that is a possibility. If that's the case, are there any suggestions on how to salvage this situation without ripping everything out and starting over?
zenful6219
zenful6219

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/19/2012, 12:34 pm

I bet it's getting HOT there. I would suggest a deeper mulch (I am a huge believer in this for hot seasons, it holds the moisture and regulates the soil temp) and if you are inclined some liquid fertilizer. This may be able to salvage the beds. Send us some photos if you can.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

SFG not working out WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  BrotherNorm 4/19/2012, 12:36 pm

It's my first year with SFG as well and I've learned by searching the threads that watering every day is not out of the question, which I have started to do. I was and still am to a small extent experiencing the same issues that you are. Not so much dying back but definitely slow growth.

With watering every evening and yesterdays rain some of my veggies are starting to perk up and have a growth spurt. When it starts to get hotter I'll water morning and evening.

Having said all of that I would question the amount of peat moss that is being used in MM. If I was to do my beds over again I think I would cut back on the peat moss and apply the remainder of that ratio between the 5 compost's.

It would be interesting to know how Mel came up with the ratio he did.

cheers.

SFG not working out 3170584802
BrotherNorm
BrotherNorm

Male Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 4/19/2012, 12:50 pm

I would saturate the boxes make sure there soaked all the way through
MM drains well so you won't over water by doing this. Then keep it moist.
We have had Rain here for the last three days my boxes are saturated
and cant possibly hold any more water but my seeds are sprouting and
my Seedlings are happy and growing I put out my Bells last night and
they looked fine this morning they had no wilt and its supposed to be
cloudy with more rain today.
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  zenful6219 4/19/2012, 1:24 pm

Onions - planted almost 2 months ago - 1 square foot section
SFG not working out Onions10

Okra - planted from seed around the first of March - 1 square foot section
SFG not working out Okra11

Cantaloupe - Germinated indoors in February and planted mid March - 4 square foot section - plant is about size of a hand.
SFG not working out Cantal11

Yellow Squash - Planted from seed 1st week of March - 1 per 4 square foot section
SFG not working out Yellow11
zenful6219
zenful6219

Back to top Go down

SFG not working out Empty Peet

Post  CharlesB 4/19/2012, 1:45 pm

BrotherNorm wrote:Having said all of that I would question the amount of peat moss that is being used in MM. If I was to do my beds over again I think I would cut back on the peat moss and apply the remainder of that ratio between the 5 compost's.

I tend to agree. I like the peet moss because I can get it for a good price and it is very easy to handle. I like coco coir but it is harder for me to get and harder to handle. What I get is pressed in to very tight bricks that I need to wet and brake apart by hand. Takes a long time and is a lot of work.

If I could get big bags of unpressed coir I would go with that.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 4/19/2012, 2:15 pm

Hmm, my prior reply seems to have gone awol.

Anyway, I've had the school of hard knocks with a raised bed. Like other I suspect the watering as that was my downfall everytime. Like you, my containered plants did fine, the raised bed, stunted or died. The problem boiled down to too dry and the peat slowly drying out creating "air pot" pockets around the plants. my bed originally started out completely moist, but ended up as detailed last summer here in this old thread.

Have you checked every 3 inches or so and checked all the way down? With drip in my raised bed, I've concluded that I'll think it's soaked all the way through because the water is running out all over, but two inches down you can have dry patches hiding everywhere. Straight down from the drip points, a channel of wetness ran straight down to the ground underneath and out the bed.

I literally checked my bed again last night after this last failure and while I've thoroughly soaked it and mixed it to get it all wet, I obviously missed a spot or too that I found last night, a little bone dry patch buried under wet surface, surrounded by wet mix (yes, wet and saturated, not moist mix) about the size of a tennis ball. That's how difficult it can be once it gets dry.

In warmer climates, I think MM and any mix with a fair amount of peat is prone to dryness problems if the entire surface and mix isn't moistened and kept wet. I
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 4/19/2012, 2:38 pm

camprn what do you recomend as a mulching agent? I am in west central Ga so it is about to get hot here also.

opps sorry about the topic change
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/19/2012, 3:07 pm

if this is the first season for your Mels Mix then you could have a nutrient problem...I've been reading about this lately on this forum. You may want to try some compost tea, working in additional compost, mycorrhiza, bloodmeal, etc. From what others have experienced, it may take a full year for Mels Mix to season in.

I am trying to get my first year's Mels Mix dialed in before summer veggies need to go in...spring veggies struggled. I used compost tea, chickity doo doo, and worked in some additional compost in and around existing plants and open squares.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  zenful6219 4/19/2012, 3:18 pm

I'm seeing lots of good ideas. The consensus so far seems to be that the mix is too dry. I'll try extra watering for a few days and some supplemental nutrients.
zenful6219
zenful6219

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/19/2012, 3:28 pm

Pepper wrote:camprn what do you recomend as a mulching agent? I am in west central Ga so it is about to get hot here also.

opps sorry about the topic change
Pepper, I think if you look in the 'Drought' thread I put a few links there about mulching. You could use any thing from straw (not hay) to pine needles to shredded pine bark to compost... depends upon what you can get your hands on. I would not recommend wood chips in the garden bed.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

SFG not working out WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/19/2012, 3:32 pm

zenful6219 wrote:I'm seeing lots of good ideas. The consensus so far seems to be that the mix is too dry. I'll try extra watering for a few days and some supplemental nutrients.

Also, (I may have missed this info on the thread), when you originally made your MM, did you fluff the peat before measuring? It is sold in compressed bales, so a 2 cu ft bale will yield 4 cu ft fluffed peat. If you went by the measurements on the bales you will have twice the amount of peat in the mix which will definitely cause the watering/drying issue as well as the stunting.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

SFG not working out Empty OH NO!!! Now it's my problem too!

Post  hruten 4/19/2012, 4:28 pm

Ack! Thanks GG! I would be in the same condition, hopefully there is a remedy?!?

In my 2nd round of MM, I bought 2-2.2 cu ft bales of peat!! I thought it looked more brown than the first round, but played it up as usuing a different type of compost.

I mostly work in containers with water mats and self-watering... Is this stuff going to grow, or do I need to amend it before planting gets serious in a couple of weeks?

*sigh* It seems like I always do it backwards first!
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/19/2012, 4:34 pm

Hr, Good Catch! If I were you I would go ahead and add more compost, if you think you made an error and have too much peat. Now is the time to fix it before you plant. Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

SFG not working out Empty Too much math!

Post  tomperrin 4/19/2012, 4:57 pm

Goosegirl wrote:..... when you originally made your MM, did you fluff the peat before measuring? It is sold in compressed bales, so a 2 cu ft bale will yield 4 cu ft fluffed peat. If you went by the measurements on the bales you will have twice the amount of peat in the mix which will definitely cause the watering/drying issue as well as the stunting. GG

Trying to add up all the cubic feet and pounds when making MM is probably the quickest way to square failure, methinks. Thank Goodness I was never good at math! On a good day, I can count to three on one hand, and all the way to five on the other. And that, really, is all I need to know. And I only learned it in the last year.

FIVE different kinds of compost, mix together, then
THREE 5-gallon pails: ONE each of blended compost, vermiculite, fluffed peat, blended & mixed.

WATER thoroughly.
PLANT seeds.
CONTINUE to water.
WATCH plants grow.
HARVEST great organic veggies.

I just find it interesting that we (been there, done that) can take a very simple set of instructions, complicate it beyond belief, and then wonder why the formula doesn't work.

KISS,

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  zenful6219 4/19/2012, 6:11 pm

Goosegirl wrote:Also, (I may have missed this info on the thread), when you originally made your MM, did you fluff the peat before measuring? It is sold in compressed bales, so a 2 cu ft bale will yield 4 cu ft fluffed peat. If you went by the measurements on the bales you will have twice the amount of peat in the mix which will definitely cause the watering/drying issue as well as the stunting.

GG

I actually used one 3.9 CF bale of peat moss. My understanding was that one bale of that size would yield about 8 CF of fluffed peat and I did fluff it before mixing. According to the MM calculator, I only needed 8.33 CF of each of the three ingredients. So I was afraid I wasn't adding enough peat. But now I'm wondering if one of my composts contained additional peat.
zenful6219
zenful6219

Back to top Go down

Post  zenful6219 4/19/2012, 6:13 pm

tomperrin wrote:
FIVE different kinds of compost, mix together, then
THREE 5-gallon pails: ONE each of blended compost, vermiculite, fluffed peat, blended & mixed.

WATER thoroughly.
PLANT seeds.
CONTINUE to water.
WATCH plants grow.
HARVEST great organic veggies.

I wish now I'd read the forum more thoroughly before mixing up the MM. The new book makes it seem easy, but the above is even easier.
zenful6219
zenful6219

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/19/2012, 6:20 pm

zenful6219 wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:Also, (I may have missed this info on the thread), when you originally made your MM, did you fluff the peat before measuring? It is sold in compressed bales, so a 2 cu ft bale will yield 4 cu ft fluffed peat. If you went by the measurements on the bales you will have twice the amount of peat in the mix which will definitely cause the watering/drying issue as well as the stunting.

GG

I actually used one 3.9 CF bale of peat moss. My understanding was that one bale of that size would yield about 8 CF of fluffed peat and I did fluff it before mixing. According to the MM calculator, I only needed 8.33 CF of each of the three ingredients. So I was afraid I wasn't adding enough peat. But now I'm wondering if one of my composts contained additional peat.

I'd bet my pension fund that the purchased composts contained a bit of peat and all sorts of woody bits that were ground up. . Get your own compost heap made to Mel's directions going as soon as possible
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  zenful6219 4/19/2012, 6:25 pm

plantoid wrote:
I'd bet my pension fund that the purchased composts contained a bit of peat and all sorts of woody bits that were ground up. . Get your own compost heap made to Mel's directions going as soon as possible

oh my.....don't get me started on the homemade compost. I've had a Mantis ComposT-Twin for a year and half and have yet to get compost out of it. But, that's a whole other thread.
zenful6219
zenful6219

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifer37918 4/19/2012, 6:30 pm

zenful6219 wrote:

I bought a 3 cu ft bale of peat moss, but then measured everything by volume one bucketful at a time because I was that unsure of my ability to eyeball the volume. I filled almost 2 4x4's with just that one bale. I don't understand it, but that's how it turned out for me. So far everything I'm growing is flourishing. Maybe you have double the needed peat without even counting the possible compost issues?

Good luck...
jennifer37918
jennifer37918

Back to top Go down

Post  westx 4/19/2012, 6:35 pm

Being south of Dallas my garden has been slow go also with the cold crops as it got to hot to soon. Like the others water the heck out of those beds. Once you give it a good soaking you only need 1" of water a week which can be measured by using a tuna can. I only water every couple days. Also if the plants are yellow looking when they should be brite green then you may have had some old or bad compost. You may want to get some liquid kelp or seaweed and hit the plants with that to give them a boost. Good luck
westx

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum