Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
NEWB question about days till harvest Toplef10NEWB question about days till harvest 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

NEWB question about days till harvest I22gcj10NEWB question about days till harvest 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
NEWB question about days till harvest Toplef10NEWB question about days till harvest 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

NEWB question about days till harvest I22gcj10NEWB question about days till harvest 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

NEWB question about days till harvest

+3
middlemamma
BackyardBirdGardner
pelujilla
7 posters

Go down

NEWB question about days till harvest Empty NEWB question about days till harvest

Post  pelujilla 3/31/2011, 10:08 pm

Umm what exactly does days till harvest mean?
From the day the seedling sprouted? From the day the fruit appears? How will I know when to pick my veggies? study
pelujilla
pelujilla

Back to top Go down

NEWB question about days till harvest Empty Re: NEWB question about days till harvest

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/31/2011, 11:09 pm

Such a good question because how does the seed packet know I had a late freeze? Or, that I had a hot summer and never harvested my lettuce because it bolted too early?

These are ballpark averages. What are you growing? We can likely give you some indicators to look for. That would probably be the place to start.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

NEWB question about days till harvest Empty Re: NEWB question about days till harvest

Post  middlemamma 4/1/2011, 12:56 am

Whatever you do....don't listen to the packet!

Jennie
Admin
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  pelujilla 4/1/2011, 8:42 am

middlemamma wrote:Whatever you do....don't listen to the packet!

Jennie
Admin
lol!

I have tomatoes (Big Boy, Better Boy, Red Cherry)
I also have Peppers (California Wonder and Bell Red)
Cucumbers (Burpless)
pelujilla
pelujilla

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/1/2011, 8:50 am

With transplants, the number of days to harvest is a guideline from the date of placing the plants in the garden, not from when the seed was planted.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/1/2011, 9:42 am

when the maters turn red, the peppers stop getting any bigger and the cukes are about 1 1/2" in diameter. Cukes will suddenly grow fat and full of seeds if not watched. That's what I look for, but of course, that's optimal. Use your best judgement about what you would buy if at the store. And learn from each thing you pick.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/1/2011, 9:50 am

It's kinda like a due date for when the baby is coming, it's an aprox estimate of when you can harvest. For mine I wrote the day of transplanting, or direct sowing. Wrote down estimated days to harvest. Then went here http://www.vpcalendar.net/Julian_Date.html

Example, I planted beets on February 20th is the 51st day of the year. Let's say the estimated days to harvest is 50-80 days. Adding 50 to 51 is 101, adding 80 to 51 is 131 days. Day 101 is April 11th and day 131 is May 11th. So sometime between April 11 and May 11, I should be pulling up beets. We did have a bit of a cold snap and even though beets are a cold crop they slowed just a bit in their growing so it will probably be closer to mid May before I am pulling them up. When I plant I write all this down, if I don't I'll forget. I use boxes similar to what is in the back of Mel's All New SFG book to pencil in all this info.

This may be way too much for some, but this is what works for me, if I don't write down estimated harvest date, I will forget and pull them up too soon, or forget they are in the ground...... I'm so easily distracted.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pelujilla 4/1/2011, 7:21 pm

Thanks: I wrote down the estimated harvest dates in my book. Can't wait.
pelujilla
pelujilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Lollypop9 4/3/2011, 1:39 am

so can I NOT harvest anything from my plants until I am within those dates? ie== take some leaves of spinach or lettuce?
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

Post  Lollypop9 4/3/2011, 1:40 am

I ask for my herbs too--I have cilantro in my window seal that I will put outside later in the season--but can I harvest from that?! what about the rosemary?
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/3/2011, 8:33 am

Hopefully someone else will pop in and assist us, I personally think it depends on the plant. I have some spinach that had about 5 leaves the other day, I pulled one or two from 2-3 plants, just to sample, same with my lettuce. If you do that, pull just a few of the outer leaves. I know of some that have already pulled the lower leaves of their basil and they have done fine. I seriously doubt you wll do major harm and/or kill your plants. Leave things like broccoli alone until the top head is ready or you already have a few side shoots, otherwise the side shoots could be a tad bitter, or maybe I had a bad plant a few years back. Hope I helped.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/3/2011, 8:58 am

Lollypop9 wrote:so can I NOT harvest anything from my plants until I am within those dates? ie== take some leaves of spinach or lettuce?

You most certainly can harvest leaf by leaf if that is what you want to do! I harvest my pick and grow again with spinach, chard, kale, lettuce and to some degree beet greens.

I do not pull on the plants as I had a few too many simply pull out of the ground. I use scissors to harvest leaves.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/3/2011, 9:04 am

Thanks for jumping in camprn, I figured what I was doing was okay, but was hoping someone else would join in and confirm. Heck I sit in the dirt by my box and nibble.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/3/2011, 9:24 am

camprn wrote:
Lollypop9 wrote:so can I NOT harvest anything from my plants until I am within those dates? ie== take some leaves of spinach or lettuce?

You most certainly can harvest leaf by leaf if that is what you want to do! I harvest my pick and grow again with spinach, chard, kale, lettuce and to some degree beet greens.

I do not pull on the plants as I had a few too many simply pull out of the ground. I use scissors to harvest leaves.

THIS^^

And, to the newest gardners joining us here......not that we are old:

Different plants harvest differently. Some we pull up and out of the ground. Some we just take the leaves. Some, we take both....but at different times. Research is important so you can learn your plant. Mel's book does a great job of laying out some of the most popular veggies in gardens.

I will recommend another spot that educated me pretty well BEFORE I found Mel's book. Honestly, I prefer the book now. But, I will go back here from time to time for stuff I can't find in the book. http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/directory.cfm

Again, though, like the others have said......harvest dates are just a "guide." We have to learn what indicators to watch for and adjust our calendars to these. Writing in a calendar is a great idea. I do something crudely like this myself, but not nearly as elaborate (because I'm lazy).
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/3/2011, 9:31 am

BYBG is right, that date is just a guide, like a due date for a baby. I liked to never convince my husband that our first child would not be born on that due date day, but would more than likely come late. He came 2 weeks early, my husband actually tried to tell me it was not time, I'll save the rest of the story for another time and post.

I wish I had the abilibty to load pictures on this computer so I could post a picture of me sitting at my salad bar eating lettuce and broccoli.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down