Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Toplef10another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? I22gcj10another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Toplef10another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? I22gcj10another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by donnainzone5 10/2/2024, 6:09 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 10/1/2024, 12:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/22/2024, 11:24 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest?

+4
jwbryson
kimbertangleknot
elliephant
staciz
8 posters

Go down

another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Empty another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest?

Post  staciz 7/15/2010, 12:46 pm

I have 5 different hot peppers...they came in a variety pack, so I'm not even positive which ones are which, but I THINK the cayenne long, jalepeno and carribean are the ones growing. On the card that came with the seedlings, they show all the cayenne long and the carribbean to be red.

I have 2 red pepper plants and 1 yellow bell pepper plant.

My question....am I supposed to wait until they turn yellow/red ON the plant before I harvest? Or do I pick when they seem big enough and then they turn color after? I apologize if this the dumbest question ever asked here another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Icon_redface another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Icon_redface another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Icon_redface

The bell peppers just seem so big and ready...but they are all still green...and the carribbean peppers are green but some are turning black..one has a red tip so I think it might be turning. (Oh, this particular plant the peppers are growing UP, if that helps to identify it!)

TIA!!
staciz

Back to top Go down

another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Empty Re: another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest?

Post  elliephant 7/15/2010, 12:52 pm

Om the bell peppers I found that if I picked them when they first got a blush of red they would turn red indoors. They would also turn red on the stem, but it seemed to go faster if I picked them earlier. Any that I picked green I just ate that way, so I can't tell you if they would have turned or not.

Last edited by elliephant on 7/15/2010, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dot=got)
elliephant

Female Posts : 841

Back to top Go down

another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Empty Re: another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest?

Post  kimbertangleknot 7/15/2010, 2:04 pm

Typically you let the peppers ripen on the plant. You can eat them at any stage, and even certain "green pepper" plants will turn a new color if you leave them on long enough. It does take a while for them to change on the plant, some people do have success with picking them when they have some of the color, and they will ripen indoors (just like elliephant). My family never had this happen though, so we ate a lot of green peppers due to impatience, and that's one reason why I don't care for them much anymore. Plus I think they are bitter.

As for the hot pepper plants, I'm not familiar with the kind that actually grow upwards, I wanted to grow one next year but I forgot to add it to my order and I can't justify spending that amount of money for one packet of seeds (but if anyone places an order at burpee and wants to order a pack of these for me, I would be happy to send you a check and an envelope w/stamp for them). I know these might not be the exact kind, but it's similar. But anyways, when hot peppers are left to ripen on the plant to their true color, usually 8/10 times the ripened color is going to be more hot. For example, when jalapeno's are green they are actually milder than the red ones. There are some where the heat doesn't change from color to color. Also, the smaller the pepper the hotter it is 9/10. So if you have wee tiny ones, they most surely will be hotter.

I personally find that yellow, orange, and red peppers are far more sweet and less bitter than green peppers. I am also a very mild hot pepper girl. I like a mild HEAT not the intense spice that some have. I hope that helps some, and happy gardening! Love to see pictures!

cherry <-- looks like a hot pepper bomb Very Happy
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Empty re: Don't Laugh

Post  jwbryson 7/15/2010, 2:38 pm

What are you, new?! another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Lol

I picked my jalapenos when they looked like the ones in the store. I accidentally ( another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Icon_redface another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Icon_redface another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? Icon_redface ) picked my gypsy sweet peppers when they were about 1/2 the size they were going to get if I had left them the hell alone. My bad. Good thing 15 more are growing at the moment. My bell peppers aren't big enough to pick yet. Good question.
jwbryson
jwbryson

Male Posts : 78

Back to top Go down

Post  staciz 7/15/2010, 4:50 pm

thanks everyone! i will take some pictures later- they look really good, imho...i just started worrying i was going to miss my opportunity with them if i was supposed to be picking them now!
staciz

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/15/2010, 5:31 pm

This is all great to know. This is the second year I've ever grown peppers. Last year was nearly complete failure.

Of my pepper plants, the one I bought had fruit on it when I got it, and the ones I started from seed are only now starting to get bigger... no blooms yet that I can see.

The storebought one is a chocolate pepper (sweet, I think) and it's supposed to turn brown before it's ready. I have watched those darn little green peppers for weeks (a month??) until finally today I saw one of them had turned color. Not sure if it is a brown or more of a purple...I was watering at the time and didn't want to go poking around in the leaves. Maybe we'll get a taste this weekend.

The sweet one from seed is Ozark Giant which starts green and turns red. The hot pepper from seed is Red Mushroom, which is supposed to be a flat wrinkled disk type. Am very curious to see how hot it is. (I like heat, but not so hot I can't taste the flavor any more.)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3348

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  L&K-IL 7/15/2010, 10:25 pm

Well...I'll give you a visual of what I did....tonight actually.
I've been wanting to pick this thing for a month. This is the only pepper this plant has produced. All the other blossoms have fallen off, and now it doesn't have anything.

Here's the pepper on the plant last Sunday (about 4 days ago).
another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? 10_07_15

Here's one side...mostly green...(less sun exposure)
another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? 10_07_10

Here's the other side (more sun exposure)....maybe on it's way to yellow? red?....and eventually in my belly!
another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? 10_07_11

You can see all my patio tomatoes with blossom end rot in the background. And our grape tomatoes that are kickin' butt. We've probably harvest 50 of those suckers, and there's probably 50 more on the plant! And it's in a pot in miracle gro soil ..... affraid
L&K-IL

Male Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/16/2010, 1:32 am

My pepper plants didn't get that huge or bushy. I was thinking of going for two per SF next year.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2464
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 7/16/2010, 7:00 am

That looks really tastey and I think it was fine to pick it. I've picked them at all different stages and they keep pretty well. I do believe that will turn for you and soon.

My hot peppers are a bit of a mystery to me as well. I've yet to produce a jalepeno yet and that plant keeps getting bigger, but I picked a hungarian wax that the tag said woulud turn red when mature, however the photo on the tag was long and yellow, and the description said "long yellow pepper turns red when mature". I picked it and tasted it and it was HOT at the membrane. I used half in my recipe that called for a jalepeno, and it was very mildly "hot". I should have used the whole thing once I deseeded it and I assume it would be tad more hot if I left it out there to get angry on the vine, but man, it just seemed like it needed to be eaten. They get to their max length and don't really grow anymore. When that happens, ya just want to pluck it. (at least *I* do)
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  L&K-IL 7/17/2010, 11:22 pm

Chopper wrote:My pepper plants didn't get that huge or bushy. I was thinking of going for two per SF next year.

That's the only plant of mine that did....and it was a Home Depot $2.99 special.

All the pepper plants I started from seed are MUCH smaller.

Visual...(Home Depot pepper plant on the right. All the others were from seed. The square that is doubled-up is a jalepeno and a pepperochini. The other two on the left are sweet peppers.)
another newbie question...peppers..when to harvest? 10_07_19

I doubled-up two peppers in a 12" pot in Miracle Gro soil. One is kickin' butt...the other, not so much.

Seems to be very hit or miss...
L&K-IL

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/18/2010, 1:04 am

L&K-IL wrote:
Chopper wrote:My pepper plants didn't get that huge or bushy. I was thinking of going for two per SF next year.

That's the only plant of mine that did....and it was a Home Depot $2.99 special.

Visual...(Home Depot pepper plant on the right. All the others were from seed. The square that is doubled-up is a jalepeno and a pepperochini. The other two on the left are sweet peppers.)

I doubled-up two peppers in a 12" pot in Miracle Gro soil. One is kickin' butt...the other, not so much.

That's about what mine look like. Don't you think you could fit 2 of those per square?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2464
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  L&K-IL 7/18/2010, 12:10 pm

Chopper wrote:
L&K-IL wrote:

That's about what mine look like. Don't you think you could fit 2 of those per square?

Easily!....but my plan next year is no pepper plants from seeds, I think. I'm just going to buy all the pepper plants. One pepper from 9 plants (hot a sweet combined) is not what I anticipated.
L&K-IL

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down