Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! Toplef10Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! I22gcj10Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! Toplef10Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! I22gcj10Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas!

5 posters

Go down

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! Empty Hello From Beautiful Central Texas!

Post  lillianb59 3/19/2010, 9:25 pm

Well, SPRING is here in Central Texas... I think? Ha ha! I'm hoping we don't have any more freezing temperatures because I just climbed up and put all my row covers in the attic in my pottery studio. I'm also SO anxious to get all the tomato plants that I have hanging out in the studio (waiting until temps at night are above 50 degrees) PLANTED! I was so excited to see blossoms on the tomatoes this morning...

OK, a little about me... I built my SFGs (six 4' x 4' gardens) about this time last year and fell in love with the concept. I'm a technical writer and I've spent the last 27 years working in the automotive industry (not so environmentally friendly?). Mel's simple, organized, compact, high-efficiency form of gardening REALLY spoke to me! When I discovered SFG, it seemed like a way that I could give back to the community and to the environment and I decided that I would really love to be able to teach others about this amazing, easy, fun form of gardening! I sent away for the correspondence course and finally got everything submitted a few weeks ago. I can't wait to get my certification! I have to believe that, if I can produce a harvest this amazing (yes, I've killed every houseplant I've ever had - don't tell anyone!), ANYONE can do this! I regularly bring in the most delicious produce from my backyard and I feel so gobsmacked! When I was growing up in El Paso, Texas, I watched my parents struggle to grow a few beloved plants in the hard-packed dirt and this seems so EASY compared to that! I get so much more harvest with so much less effort!
lillianb59
lillianb59

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! Empty Howdy and welcome

Post  SirTravers 3/19/2010, 9:31 pm

Welcome to the group! Yeah we've been told that spring has hit down there in Hill Country. We're still at the stage of protecting from frost at night up here in my neck of the woods...Do mesquite forrests really count as bein in the woods? hehe.
Seriously though come on in and join the fun. There's quite a few Texans here from all over the state so there's plenty of folks with the same weather and such. Have fun!
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! Empty Re: Hello From Beautiful Central Texas!

Post  timwardell 3/19/2010, 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Frisco (north of Dallas). Glad to hear things are warm in the hill country. Temps in Dallas hit 70 today, but will be 40 tomorrow and might hit freezing Saturday & Sunday night. <sigh> I HAD to pull out my row covers this afternoon! <argh>

I too will be doing the correspondence course as I have become a believer. Here's hoping that Texas weather cooperates with us just a bit.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! Empty Just When I Said It Was Spring...

Post  lillianb59 3/20/2010, 11:14 am

Hi guys! Well, Hill Country weather fooled me again! Ha ha! Good thing I practiced self control and didn't put my tomato plants out yet. They're hanging out in my pottery studio, growing big, strong roots, waiting until nightly temps are above 50 degrees. So far, it looks like it's not going to be quite at freezing tonight and tomorrow night. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! (I really, really, really don't want to have to climb back up into the attic in my studio and drag all the row covers down and put them on again! It's really windy here today, so it would be like herding sails!)

Glad to hear you're going to take the course, Tim! The hardest part for me was making a video of myself teaching. I don't have a video camera and I ended up doing it with my iPhone! It came out OK, I think.

Have a great day!

Changing the world 16 square feet at a time!
lillianb59
lillianb59

Back to top Go down

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! Empty Welcome!

Post  colesonsmom 3/20/2010, 11:54 am

Welcome Lillian! I am here in South Texas (Agua Dulce...SE of Corpus Christi). I am new to SFG....I am still constructing my boxes...if this weather will cooperate! We just had the front blow in and boy is it raining! I look forward to seeing more posts from you on the forum and getting to know you better!

~Rhonda
colesonsmom

Female Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! Empty Howdy, Rhonda!

Post  lillianb59 3/21/2010, 12:54 am

SFG is great! I'm so glad you've joined the ranks! The cold and rain arrived here this morning, too. I'm taking a chance that the weather report is right and we're not going to get to freezing tonight and leaving the row covers neatly folded up in my studio attic. I hope I'm not regretting anything tomorrow morning! Ha ha!

This is the first year I've tried starting some of my seeds indoors to hasten my harvest. I have a bunch of paper egg cartons that I saved over the winter. So far, so good. It's interesting to see what sprouted and what fizzled. It makes me more aware of how important a germination test can be, especially when I'm saving packets of seeds in my fridge from year to year. I have some new seed packets with only a 1 or 2 in 6 germination rate. Interesting...

Visualize World Peas!
lillianb59
lillianb59

Back to top Go down

Hello From Beautiful Central Texas! Empty Re: Hello From Beautiful Central Texas!

Post  Lavender Debs 3/21/2010, 9:56 am

Hey Ronda I am from a far away and distant planet but I had to send a hi'ya from the other Washington just to tell you how much I enjoy reading you.

Deborah ....hoping the row cover can spend the rest of the year sleeping in the attic
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down