Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 Toplef10If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 I22gcj10If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 Toplef10If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 I22gcj10If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

If You CARROT all for SFG...

+68
jymarino
staf74
rayandpath
GlassHen
Dunkinjean
auntiemommy
Barkie
pattipan
boog1
Paula M
MrsDC
sarah in the garden
aw6211
bennyhannahmama
thebaums
Patch
displacedinpa37
Miss M
walshevak
Ha-v-v
okmedic07
retired member 2
Josh
Nicola
Melbourne
mcduff
windrider1967
TheVeggieO's
trustinhart
Smartchick
SlapHappy
bev
dizzygardener
Goosegirl
Squat_Johnson
MasonGarden
graficow
Nonna.PapaVino
Zephyros
martha
florenceq
donnainzone5
trukrebew
ShadowWynn
Megan
sully
ander217
jumiclads
WardinWake
jerzyjen
CindiLou
Odd Duck
janefss2002
BackyardBirdGardner
quiltbea
CarolynPhillips
nancy
elliephant
FarmerValerie
Icemaiden
Furbalsmom
LaFee
Blackrose
Old Hippie
kimbertangleknot
boffer
miinva
middlemamma
72 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 Empty Re: If You CARROT all for SFG...

Post  quiltbea 2/2/2011, 7:25 pm

I wasn't going to get Nantes this year, but I guess I will. I want to be in on this one. I hope to plant some in my A-frame by that date if the snow melts enough that I can trudge out to my garden.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/2/2011, 8:33 pm

Fun idea. I should have some going in the garden by default.....staggering harvests. I'll just have to note the specific square.

And, I can't bear anymore from Kimber and Boffer. I wish you would stop ramming your humor down our throats. Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/2/2011, 8:37 pm

I don't know if any of you check the temp of your soil before sowing seeds but the lowest soil temp that carrots will germinate is 61 * F.
I know the book says you can sow carrot seeds 3 weeks before last frost date.
Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I will figure it out one of these days. I think you have lower germination success 3 weeks before last frost and most end up rotting.
I think I will keep sowing mine a week before last frost date.

Me= not a carrot expert

CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 2/2/2011, 8:57 pm

I'm in. I think I have some Nantes seeds from Territorial Seeds, too that I can share. I'll see this weekend and check back in with that info. Right now our Dallas "Super" Snowstorm 2011 (what media calls it here) is draining me. We had rolling blackouts here all day, including this morning at the hospital where I work. Oops! Shocked "Someone" forgot hospitals are exempt. That got fixed at my place mid morning. Family got to experience the rest of the blackouts without me.

I think for me I will start some at my "regular" date and start another set from same package with the group and post records of both. For me that part will be sorta like what Boffer posted. I would like to know for myself that info!

This could turn out to be a fantastic experiment! I vow to be better about taking pictures! Embarassed

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/2/2011, 9:20 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:And, I can't bear anymore from Kimber and Boffer. I wish you would stop ramming your humor down our throats. Wink
Oh hey now, I think you should just cowboy up and jet on over to get those seeds from LaFee, and I ain't lion!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/2/2011, 9:32 pm

I think we will all need some hip waders by the time the super bowl comes round, if the game talk keeps up.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 2/2/2011, 9:37 pm

FarmerVal,
If you are here In Dallas proper, you need Snowshoes lol!

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/2/2011, 9:52 pm

It never occurred to me to check what the ideal soil temp is for carrot germination. But 61* is so contrary to my experience that I went googling. The temp ranges I found were all over the map (40-80).

I plant my first carrots every year in a cold frame on V Day so they will be ready when my first peas are ready. We have Februaries on record where we did not see the sun. Unfortunately, there's no way my soil ever gets near 60* in Feb or Mar or Apr. I stagger 4-5 plantings every several weeks, just playing the odds. Yesterday, I posted here to show the effect of growing carrots in warmer weather. They say carrots are a cool weather plant, and I'm inclined to agree.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 2/2/2011, 10:12 pm

Thanks, Boffer, for posting the link to the "Crazy Carrots" and covering my back. That is the link I should have noted. I'm too tired and stressed to be interacting and should have just chilled.

But I so love this place and find peace here in all of the gardens!

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/2/2011, 10:59 pm

FarmerValerie wrote:I think we will all need some hip waders by the time the super bowl comes round, if the game talk keeps up.
janefss2002 wrote:FarmerVal,
Jane

You Texans need to buc up and go collect some browns for your compost pile so you can grow giant carrots. Smile
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/3/2011, 12:34 am

Jane

The snow missed us, we were to far north, as I expected. Well, I take that back, we had flurries that just blew around never hitting the ground and finally just disappeared. Which after the 8" we got a while back was just fine with me, that's why I live down here.

FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 2/3/2011, 5:13 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:I don't know if any of you check the temp of your soil before sowing seeds but the lowest soil temp that carrots will germinate is 61 * F.

I've never taken the soil temperature but since the air temperature only makes it over 61°F on good summer days then I think the soil is cooler except where the sun is warming it. So do soil temperatures just mean how warm the seed will get when warmest?
I planted on April 30th last year, got almost 100% germination, and the seeds were all up after about 14 days.
Looking at the chart here:
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
I seem to get results that would fit with soil temperature of about 50°F. But I'm not sure what "soil temperature" means - temperature reached by seed over the day, or what?
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 2/3/2011, 9:08 am

FarmerValerie wrote:

Jane

The snow missed us, we were to far north, as I expected. Well, I take that back, we had flurries that just blew around never hitting the ground and finally just disappeared. Which after the 8" we got a while back was just fine with me, that's why I live down here.

That's why I live down here, too, and we've got packed ice and ruts on the roads, still have about 2" of snow in the grass, had to put in my pond heaters and I've NEVER seen snow last this long in the nearly 16 years I've been living in TX. Evil or Very Mad
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/3/2011, 9:18 am

I've been down here since '84, so thats almost 27 years. I'm still not used to the heat, but LOVE telling visitors that "No it's not hot yet, wait till August".

I sure hope all that mess clears up before the game Sunday. The Farmer's Almanac says (at least online) that the weather for the game did not matter, as the stadium has a retractable roof, I doubt they considered all the crazy drivers down here driving on ice and snow.

Thanks for the reminder about a pond heater, I hope to be putting a small water garden in, and I need to add that to my list of supplies, even if all I do is gather this year and install next. I collect rocks and will be making my own waterfall.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/3/2011, 10:46 am

janefss2002 wrote:I'm in. I think I have some Nantes seeds from Territorial Seeds, too that I can share. I'll see this weekend and check back in with that info. Right now our Dallas "Super" Snowstorm 2011 (what media calls it here) is draining me. We had rolling blackouts here all day, including this morning at the hospital where I work. Oops! Shocked "Someone" forgot hospitals are exempt. That got fixed at my place mid morning. Family got to experience the rest of the blackouts without me.

I think for me I will start some at my "regular" date and start another set from same package with the group and post records of both. For me that part will be sorta like what Boffer posted. I would like to know for myself that info!

This could turn out to be a fantastic experiment! I vow to be better about taking pictures! Embarassed

Jane

My sister lives in Wylie and my brother in Justin (can't get used to that, he lived in Irving for over 20 years) They keep sending me photos trying to get me to feel sorry for them! Laughing Laughing

I just send my photos back1 Twisted Evil About 10" and up to 60mph winds this week. on top of 6" already on the ground. Come to think of it, we are having a MILD winter.

Anyway. They keep asking me when I am coming home (been in iowa for 35 yrs) I keep saying I can have the snow WITHOUT the summer heat up here! Laughing
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/3/2011, 10:57 am

Valerie, "too far north" has to be a relative term...lol.

I used to want to live in either Dallas or Atlanta when I was a kid. I wanted the heat and no winters to speak of. I also would have settled for Tulsa. But, my family, and wife's family, live in St. Louis, so here I am.

The older I get, the more I like Tulsa's weather. Not quite as oppressive in the summers. And, it snows more regularly....but is gone in 3 days most times.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/3/2011, 11:29 am

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Valerie, "too far north" has to be a relative term...lol.

I used to want to live in either Dallas or Atlanta when I was a kid. I wanted the heat and no winters to speak of. I also would have settled for Tulsa. But, my family, and wife's family, live in St. Louis, so here I am.

The older I get, the more I like Tulsa's weather. Not quite as oppressive in the summers. And, it snows more regularly....but is gone in 3 days most times.

I lived in Eufaula OK for almost a year, it's between McAlester and Muskogee, you are right about the summer heat not being so oppressive, the humidity is low. Down here you get up, shower, go outside for 15 min and need another shower, and that's in May and June. The winter we were in OK, we had a blizzard (early '84) and the state had 2 snow plows, one in OK City, and one in Tulsa, the both froze and were not able to use them...

Last year Dallas and Shreveport got snow, Texarkana did not, that's where the "too far north" comes from. We are about an hour (depends on who is driving and whether or not AR has road crews, which is most of the time) NW from Shreveport LA and 2 1/2-3 hours (again depends on who is driving) NE of Dallas.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/3/2011, 12:01 pm

OK, getting back to carrots........
My sources tell me they like soil temps of 55-70* for optimimum growth.

I invested in a soil thermometer and I love it. I take my soil temps before I sow seeds or transplant. I want the best for my crops, but I take my chances, too, so 5 degrees this way or that is OK with me.

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 09-20-10
Last year my carrots took forever. These are some Scarlet Nantes and Napoli varieties on 9/20 after 4 months in the ground. Like I said, "forever."

Seed life of carrots is only 2-3 years if kept safely in the fridge in sealed containers, so its best to get them used in a couple of years. I like the idea of planting more every 10-14 days for an ongoing crop.

I'm going to enjoy this challenge.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  jerzyjen 2/3/2011, 2:47 pm

Well... I promised myself I would not buy ANY more seeds this year. Promise broken, I just ordered my nantes seeds. I needed an excuse to buy sunflower seeds anyway.... I think this will be fun.
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/3/2011, 3:55 pm

My soil thermometer doubles as a meat thermometer. And, it's also my indoor/outdoor weather station. I just toss the needle out the window, wait 5 minutes, and bingo....accurate temps down under 40F. I dont need it to go lower. Lower than that and it's just plain too cold to do anything in my garden...or otherwise...for me.

BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 2/3/2011, 4:00 pm

LaFee wrote:Let me see what I can find -- the garden centers are still pretty bare at this point, but we've got a little time. (I can't even find seed mix yet to start tomatoes!)

Howdy LaFee: If you can find the seed in bulk, like maybe 2 OZ or more and get them to me or someone else then we can re-mail to others here in the U.S. at stamp rate. I will gladly do that if it can be done.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 2/4/2011, 3:51 pm

Well if I can get everything ready by the start date I will be in aswell. If not I will make a little 2 square foot box and join in anyway. Very Happy Just need to order some seeds aswell, must remember that.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 2 Empty Re: carrots

Post  ander217 2/5/2011, 6:58 am

Count us in, too.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  sully 2/5/2011, 12:11 pm

I have never grown carrots before, but
I am looking forward to trying.
It should be fun.
sully

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/5/2011, 4:38 pm

I'm in! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next