Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 Toplef10If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 I22gcj10If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 Toplef10If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 I22gcj10If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

If You CARROT all for SFG...

+68
jymarino
staf74
rayandpath
GlassHen
Dunkinjean
auntiemommy
Barkie
pattipan
boog1
Paula M
MrsDC
sarah in the garden
aw6211
bennyhannahmama
thebaums
Patch
displacedinpa37
Miss M
walshevak
Ha-v-v
okmedic07
retired member 2
Josh
Nicola
Melbourne
mcduff
windrider1967
TheVeggieO's
trustinhart
Smartchick
SlapHappy
bev
dizzygardener
Goosegirl
Squat_Johnson
MasonGarden
graficow
Nonna.PapaVino
Zephyros
martha
florenceq
donnainzone5
trukrebew
ShadowWynn
Megan
sully
ander217
jumiclads
WardinWake
jerzyjen
CindiLou
Odd Duck
janefss2002
BackyardBirdGardner
quiltbea
CarolynPhillips
nancy
elliephant
FarmerValerie
Icemaiden
Furbalsmom
LaFee
Blackrose
Old Hippie
kimbertangleknot
boffer
miinva
middlemamma
72 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 Empty Re: If You CARROT all for SFG...

Post  MasonGarden 2/13/2011, 1:49 pm

I plan to start up my first garden this year (just never got around to it last year) and would love to add carrots, so I'm in. I am a bit confused though. On one site I found seeds for Nantes Carrots, Scarlet Nantes, Nantes Fancy (Coreless - what does this mean), and Nantes Heirloom Organic. Does it make a difference? Help!

thinking
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/13/2011, 4:03 pm

MasonGarden wrote:Nantes Carrots, Scarlet Nantes, Nantes Fancy (Coreless - what does this mean), and Nantes Heirloom Organic. Does it make a difference? Help"
Nantes is a type of carrot with a specific root shape. Different varieties of Nantes usually grow 4 to 8 inches long, which means most are suitable for growing in the 6 inches of soil in a SFG. Choosing a variety is really up to you. I would look for descriptions that include comments on taste, length of carrot, days from planting to harvest and make my decision from there.

The link below shows a chart of the various shapes for comparison purposes.

Carrot Root Shapes<<<Click here
Another sources says:

Wikpidia wrote: Western carrot cultivars are commonly classified by their root shape:

Chantenay carrots are shorter than other cultivars, but have greater girth, sometimes growing up to 8 centimetres (3 in) in diameter. They have broad shoulders and taper towards a blunt, rounded tip. They are most commonly diced for use in canned or prepared foods.
Danvers carrots have a conical shape, having well-defined shoulders and tapering to a point at the tip. They are somewhat shorter than Imperator cultivars, but more tolerant of heavy soil. Danvers cultivars are often puréed as baby food. They were developed in 1871 in Danvers, Ma.[12]
Imperator carrots are the carrots most commonly sold whole in U.S. supermarkets; their roots are longer than other cultivars of carrot, and taper to a point at the tip.
Nantes carrots are nearly cylindrical in shape, and are blunt and rounded at both the top and tip. Nantes cultivars are often sweeter than other carrots

Havr fun making your decision.

Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 2/13/2011, 4:56 pm

Great information Furbalsmom! I did not know that those names meant different shapes.

Wow! I learn something new every day. Sometimes lots of somethings new on this forum. Laughing
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 2/13/2011, 10:37 pm

Many thanks Furbalsmom. I'll just pick one of the Nantes varieties and see what happens!

MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/16/2011, 12:56 am

Wow! I was going to ask the same thing about the Nantes carrots. I have some Scarlet Nantes, but noticed a couple of other Nantes varieties as well and wondered if it mattered which ones we grew. I didn't know all that stuff about the shapes of carrots either. how fascinating. Thanks Furbalsmom. You are amazing.

Gwynn

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 90640
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 2/16/2011, 2:55 pm

FYI... Just found Scarlet Nantes at the Dollar General for 3 for $1. I have too many kinds of carrots, but wanted to play along with everyone Very Happy
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 Empty I,m IN!

Post  Goosegirl 2/18/2011, 8:00 am

I already have at least 4 types of carrots to plant this season, so what's one more?! The date will be a bit tricky, as I am in Zone 4b with surrounding pockets of Z3, but I just scrounged 4 free 1 ft. 2x6's from the neighbor's remodel, so these will be my early carrot box - now if the snow will just melt! Another 6 in. or more coming this weekend..... affraid
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/18/2011, 8:10 am

Yikes, more snow?! Guess that's not too big of a surprise. We always seem to get our worst winter weather in March and April.

I am hoping to be growing three kinds of carrots this year. Nantes, trying St. Valery's again, and White Belgian new for this year. I am pretty excited about the Belgians!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/18/2011, 8:15 am

So far we have had over 5 ft of snow this winter (not all at once and not all still here thanks to a full WEEK of gorgeous tropical 40F!) but our snowiest month has not even arrived yet. SO, I am reading posts and dreaming of my new SGF and my new carrot project!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/18/2011, 8:18 am

That's a lot of snow. We are supposed to get up to 74 today (good grief!) and I am trying my hardest to stick my fingers in my ears and say la-la-la-la-la, because I just know it's not going to last.

It's a good time for dreaming! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/18/2011, 8:51 am

......la la la la.....ignoring the weather report - yesterday it was 49F, today is predicted to be 17F. If it gets at least up to 20F then I will be on my back patio hammering together the first of my SGF beds. Am I dreaming? Laughing
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/18/2011, 7:47 pm

I got my seeds today! Yay! cheers
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 2/18/2011, 11:11 pm

I'm in! I got my seeds today.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/19/2011, 12:35 am

I bought my Nantes this weekend. Nantes is a popular type around here I guess! I got "Nantes Half long" I have some "short 'n sweet"which are a 4" long one and some Parisienne's ,little round ones, that Ellie shared also. I am going to have fun with carrots this year!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/19/2011, 9:25 am

I had to 'add' my scarlet Nantes to my carrot collection as well. I have Tonda di Parigi, Atomic Red, Cosmic Purple (they were incredible last year and I STILL have some in my crisper), Lunar White, Muscade, & Danvers 1/2 long. Can you guess what my favorite veggie is? I do plan on a few 'above ground' crops as well, but the carrot theme is pretty strong. A few squares will be reserved for Hubby's favorites, but since I do the dirty work...... Twisted Evil
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  bev 2/21/2011, 4:38 pm

I'm new on these forums and have been reading a lot and catching up.

I'd love to play the carrot game and I just happened to buy Scarlet Nantes Coreless 1/2 seeds on Saturday. My biggest challenge will be the fact that I am in Zone 2B where we have sometimes had very nice weather in April. But I remember one beautiful April 15th on which I was getting ready to till the garden. It started raining and overnight that turned into a blizzard - we had 4 foot drifts of snow in our yard. Our average last frost date is May 24 so this will be pushing it but I'll try.
bev

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 2/21/2011, 5:39 pm

bev wrote:I'm new on these forums and have been reading a lot and catching up.

I'd love to play the carrot game and I just happened to buy Scarlet Nantes Coreless 1/2 seeds on Saturday. My biggest challenge will be the fact that I am in Zone 2B where we have sometimes had very nice weather in April. But I remember one beautiful April 15th on which I was getting ready to till the garden. It started raining and overnight that turned into a blizzard - we had 4 foot drifts of snow in our yard. Our average last frost date is May 24 so this will be pushing it but I'll try.

Welcome to the forum bev! I am happy to see another Canadian! Please introduce yourself in the Welcome Mat and don't forget to check out the Canada forum to share your experiences with other Canadians.

As for joining our Carrot experiment while you are in 2b, I would suggest that maybe you start them in a container indoors. Then you can just move the container outside when the weather permits. It would be a great way to keep that particular planting of carrots separate from the rest.

Good luck!
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/21/2011, 6:23 pm

bev wrote:I'm new on these forums and have been reading a lot and catching up.

Welcome Bev. If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 396615 Sorry I missed your post yesterday. It is wonderful to see another Canadian. There are a few of us here. Where in Sask. are you? When I was very young we lived in southern Saskatchewan, near Swift Current. My grandparents were in the Yorkton area. It was in Sask that my mom and grandmother taught me about gardening a very long time ago.

I know what you mean about not being able to plant your carrots in April. I am in central BC and the ground is usually still frozen here in mid April. By the May long weekend, most people are planting their gardens but we can expect frost the first or second week of June so have to keep an eye on the tender things like tomatoes, peppers and cucs. I have a number of pots and 5-gal. pails that I use for planting various things so I am going to save one for the carrot project. My plan is to put the container on the front porch, where it gets sun most of the day. Carrots can handle some cool weather and since the soil won't have to thaw, dry out and warm up, I think it will work. My potager garden book recommends growing carrots in tall containers anyway so this will be a good experiment on several levels. Where there is a will there is a way.

Nice to meet you and I am looking forward to getting to know you. BlackRose and I co-host the Canadian forum. If you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to ask. we have a whole bunch of super-cool and super smart and super helpful people on here.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  SlapHappy 2/21/2011, 8:12 pm

I'd like to give it a try.

I'm so glad I found this forum. This will be my first ever attempt to grow anything, and SFG seems like the way to do it.
SlapHappy
SlapHappy

Male Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/21/2011, 8:15 pm

Welcome to the forum and to SFG and gardening, SlapHappy! glad you\'re here

This is a great forum with many very knowledgeable gardeners who are happy to share their experiences and help out where they can. It's only seeds, so try it! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/21/2011, 8:29 pm

glad you\'re here
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 Empty Welcome Bev and SlapHappy

Post  Furbalsmom 2/21/2011, 8:57 pm

If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 654548 Bev If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 654548 SlapHappy If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 654548

So glad you both decided to join our group.

Have you read the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book yet? If not, it is a great buy and provides so much information to make your gardening easier. If you are unable to purchase the book, check your local library and see if you can borrow a copy.

Our Carrot fling beginning April 15th is going to be a great opportunity for us all to grow the same veggie and compare notes as we go.

Please feel free to ask questions, and let us know how your garden progresses. We absolutely I love you pictures.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/21/2011, 8:59 pm

Welcome from the New England state of Maine.
Its cold here, too, but you've got us beat.

This is a great forum where you can learn so much. I learned from the Square Foot Garden Book and then I found this forum. What a treasure.

Welcome and join in with comments, questions, ideas and pictures.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  bev 2/21/2011, 9:05 pm

So many warm welcomes, thank you.

I have read the New Square Foot Gardening book and that is what brought me to this forum. I will go to the Welcome thread soon and certainly will join in the Canada threads (I have read through them all). As for the April 15 start on carrots I am making plans to find a way to do this. Perhaps an inhouse square foot bed that I can put on top of an outdoor bed a little later. I don't plan to be outdone..but I might be Smile
bev

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/21/2011, 9:24 pm

SlapHappy wrote:I'd like to give it a try.

I'm so glad I found this forum. This will be my first ever attempt to grow anything, and SFG seems like the way to do it.

We are glad you found it too, Slap Happy!! If You CARROT all for SFG... - Page 4 240144 There is just something special about planting seeds and watching things grow. And pulling a radish or carrot out of the ground and just rubbing the dirt off it and eating it right there is an experience second to none. You will see.

If you have any questions there are lots of people to help you out. We share our gardening experiences good and bad on here. It is fun learning from each other.

Best of luck with your new SFG.

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next