Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates Toplef10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates I22gcj10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates Toplef10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates I22gcj10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

+19
FarmerValerie
boffer
Megan
walkaboutgirl
Old Hippie
nancy
Icemaiden
miinva
Furbalsmom
camprn
walshevak
Lavender Debs
LaFee
kimbertangleknot
quiltbea
CarolynPhillips
Chopper
ander217
jumiclads
23 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates Empty Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

Post  jumiclads 1/11/2011, 5:28 pm

Well here goes. The new season is fast aproaching and the garden is still a heap of top soil and the fence needs renewing.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates P1018610

I have ordered all the new fencing today and it should arrive this week so that will keep me busy for a few days. I will keep posting photos so you can all follow the progress being made.

I will take a few photos tomorrow to show all the work I have yet to do to get the plot ready.

I hope you will all enjoy following my story.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates Empty Re: updates

Post  ander217 1/11/2011, 7:08 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, Jumiclads.

We had snow on the ground here this morning. Not much shakin' in the outdoor garden. lots o
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates Empty Re: Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

Post  Chopper 1/11/2011, 8:14 pm

Very exciting. I look forward to seeing it shape up. A time lapse would be fun if you have anyone who can do that.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates Empty Re: Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

Post  jumiclads 1/15/2011, 9:20 am

Just a few pictures to show what is the state at the moment
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates P1010117
The new fencing arrived yesterday.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates P1010118
This is just a little of the rubbish I got off the land. There was also a dead tree, and the whole area was covered with brambles. There was enough scrap metal to fill a truck aswell (including 13 bicycles, 6 beds and sheet steel). Also over 1000 glass bottles

The next 3 picyures show the state of the land at the moment, obviously there is the fence to put up which will make a big difference. Also the flat bit of ground still has to be cleared of burried rubble and then I can level out all the heaped up topsoil. Then it will be ready to start.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates P1010119
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates P1010120
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates P1010121
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/15/2011, 9:37 am

I missed something somewhere along the way.
Is this a new home location for your family????
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/15/2011, 11:45 am

Jumiclads.....This is a journey I'm eager to follow.
I know that getting your first SFG going in that yard is a momentous occasion and I went thru it just 2 years ago. I know you'll love the final results.
Keep us posted. I'll be watching from cold and wintery Maine in the US of A.
Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/15/2011, 12:20 pm

Wow, amazing. I too am wondering if this is a purchase of a foreclosure or something. With everything you've cleared out it sounds like this is a fairly new or at least newer move. Either or! I'll be excited to see the developments of this, I love it when people post and share. I'm horrible at doing it myself so I get some motivation when I see it, and then the couch and xbox controller call my name and I'm back on my butt. Who can win against that?

What a Face
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/15/2011, 12:34 pm

Yes it should be fun. This is a piece of land I was given by my Mother in Law who owns the house where the sofa is standing on its end in one of the photos. I had it moved onto my house deeds to stop people having fires on it close to my shed (green shed in photos) because my son keeps 140 Royal Python snakes in it and we were worried about them setting fire to it. I lost my job 3 years ago after 30 years and its taken me this long to get my head back into gear and think what to do with the land. I was going to do conventional gardening until I came across SFG just by chance. The weather forecast is supposed to be good for next week so I will be on fence duty. All I need is a little sunny

I love the Xbox aswell, I am Jumiclads on Xbox live if anyone wants a game anytime.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/15/2011, 12:42 pm

jumiclads wrote:Yes it should be fun. This is a piece of land I was given by my Mother in Law who owns the house where the sofa is standing on its end in one of the photos. I had it moved onto my house deeds to stop people having fires on it close to my shed (green shed in photos) because my son keeps 140 Royal Python snakes in it and we were worried about them setting fire to it. I lost my job 3 years ago after 30 years and its taken me this long to get my head back into gear and think what to do with the land. I was going to do conventional gardening until I came across SFG just by chance. The weather forecast is supposed to be good for next week so I will be on fence duty. All I need is a little sunny

I love the Xbox aswell, I am Jumiclads on Xbox live if anyone wants a game anytime.

Well that explains the lot of it. Sorry to hear about your job, but at least your getting back into gear now, some people never do.

I'll add you to my friends list on Xbox, I'd share mine, but it's very long, and I had to modify it slightly so there's a letter missing and I don't remember where it is, lol. Go figure I couldn't use the whole kimbertangleknot, silly Xbox!

Last edited by Furbalsmom on 1/15/2011, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed to child friendly wording)
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/16/2011, 4:55 pm

Well I didn't get any sunny today. All we got was wind and rain. But I still manage to plant 2 - 8 foot concrete posts in the corner of the plot to start the fence (Crikey they are heavy). I will be back out there tomorrow to put another couple in and a couple of fence panels as long as it's not too windy.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 1/16/2011, 5:04 pm

Mick, just looking at your pictures makes my back hurt...but good on you for taking on all of that!

Clearing off all the rubbish and overgrowth is not only safer for the snakes, but I'm sure makes all your neighbours appreciate you, too!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/16/2011, 6:42 pm

Would you believe that I haven't seen one of my neighbours since I started all this work except when they are going out to work etc. I think they think I am going to ask them for help. I have always done things by myself with the help of my son from when he was small. He always helps me as best he can with his disabilty. I do appreciate his help. Mind you he does make up for it, he is twice the size of me. Not sure where that comes from though.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/16/2011, 7:20 pm

I'm sure they'll show their faces when they see the bounty your going to have. "Oh, what is that?" Friendly friendly friendly, maybe I'll get some fresh produce Very Happy
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 1/17/2011, 9:36 am

kimbertangleknot wrote:I'm sure they'll show their faces when they see the bounty your going to have. "Oh, what is that?" Friendly friendly friendly, maybe I'll get some fresh produce Very Happy
Maybe

Before I forget.... I've loved following this thread. Just the thing for scratching the gardening itch!

Kimber we started SFG's last year in a neighborhood where no one talks to anyone unless the dog poo's in your yard. There are three decks that look down onto my garden but it was as if people were afraid of us. We bought a wreck of a yard, started bringing it back to life and odd things happened ever so slowly. One of the houses that overlooks ours went into foreclosure. The bank listed it. When we looked at the listing for a friend we saw they featured our garden as the back yard of that house. Last summer we started hearing, "how’s your garden growing?" from some of the decks as shadowy figures would shyly ask, have you ever tried those upside-down tomatoes? I wonder to myself if that is really all they know about gardens. I grow my determinant tomatoes in large black tubs. Though not many talk to us, we are starting to see the same black tubs with tomatoes on those decks. They stand at the window and watch when we make mel's mix or when Ray makes new hardscape (SFG's or cold frames or trellis or etc).

Sometimes it isn't the product so much as the process that brings out the shy neighbors. You go Jim!

Deborah.... one new custom fit cold frame up, two new gardens coming.... That should get them past their shyness.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/17/2011, 10:19 am

Reading your thread has brought back some really fond memories for me. I lived in Croughton, Northants for 2 1/2 yrs and found the English are avid gardeners. Most houses had beautiful hanging baskets of flowers and small veggies plots in the back gardens. I was not allowed to dig up more than 2 small flower beds (military rental housing) but I went crazy with pots, hanging baskets and hanging bags that looped over the fence top. The DIY stores and nurseries had the smallest seedlings available in early spring that were easy to fit into the slits in the hanging bags. Here are some of the pots that I brought back with me.

the tall black towers overflowed with flowers in England and I wish I could get more of the large terra cotta colored plastic strawberry pots. I keep it full of herbs.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates Imgp1013

Keep up the good work. Happy Gardening

Kay

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/17/2011, 10:28 am

Well I have not had a very good day today. I put the opposite corner posts in but because there was already a post in going the opposite direction I had to chisel off the concrete on one side so that I could get my post right up against it. Then I fetched a panel and gravel board to slot into the existing fencing at the end of one of the adjoining properties and low and behold the posts were too far apart. I wondered why there was no panels in them. So in the end I spent most of the day digging out three posts and chiseling all the concrete off so I could re-use them. I only hit my hand twice with the club hammer OUCH! that hurt. So in the end I was left with less fencing than I started with.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 1/17/2011, 10:38 am

jumiclads wrote:Well I have not had a very good day today. ...snip... I spent most of the day digging out three posts and chiseling all the concrete off so I could re-use them. I only hit my hand twice with the club hammer OUCH! that hurt. So in the end I was left with less fencing than I started with.
Ouch! so sorry about that! The good news is that hardscape usually only needs to be done once (but that probably doesn't make your hand feel any better)
Deborah.... got comfrey?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/17/2011, 10:45 am

Lavender Debs wrote:Deborah.... got comfrey?

funny post
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/17/2011, 5:10 pm

Both bruises are doing fine thankyou. I never had any Comfrey but I put a bit of Arnica Gel on and its a lot better. Well I say I but what I meant was Julie my wife had some and put it on for me.

I am sitting here planning my attack on the fence tomorrow.Maybe get a couple of pics if it is suitable.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/18/2011, 10:12 am

Well, no bruises today. Got on quite well and put up 3 fence panels. It's amazing the difference a new fence makes, hiding the rubbish tip next door.

Here is a picture to show what we acheived today and my little helper had to get in on the shot.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates P1010122

Back on it again tomorrow weather permitting. sunny please.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 1/18/2011, 11:11 am

Nice!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/18/2011, 11:36 am

That fencing improves your bit already.
Keep at it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/18/2011, 2:01 pm

Jumiclads wrote: Well, no bruises today. Got on quite well and put up 3 fence panels. It's amazing the difference a new fence makes, hiding the rubbish tip next door.

You are right, that spruces up the area quite nicely. Wishing you lots of sunny

Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/19/2011, 11:50 am

Very nice indeed. Are you going to paint, stain, or protect it at all? Or are you going to let it weather? I'd come help if you I lived closer, I don't work and I'm pretty handy with power tools. But, I think you might be to far Smile
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/19/2011, 1:04 pm

That looks great! Very Happy
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next