Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 Toplef10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 I22gcj10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 Toplef10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 I22gcj10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

+19
FarmerValerie
boffer
Megan
walkaboutgirl
Old Hippie
nancy
Icemaiden
miinva
Furbalsmom
camprn
walshevak
Lavender Debs
LaFee
kimbertangleknot
quiltbea
CarolynPhillips
Chopper
ander217
jumiclads
23 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 Empty Re: Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/31/2011, 5:52 pm

I might need to hire you guys to come here and put in a new fence for me.

lol!

Looks great!
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 Empty Re: Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

Post  jumiclads 1/31/2011, 6:58 pm

Do we get travel expenses and meals included. lol!
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/31/2011, 7:26 pm

Meals yes, travel no Smile
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 2/5/2011, 7:39 am

There is no going back now I have taken the plunge and just ordered all my seeds. Not sure if I will use them all this year but they will keep (cool dark place). I am going to do my best to get some of each planted though. WOW, I will have to pull my finger out and get cracking, still loads to do.

Here is a list of what I ordered. I got them all from http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

Diamond Aubergine
Cherokee Trail of Tears Bean
Cupidon Bean
Sanguina Beetroot
Calabrese / Broccoli
Quick Calabrese / Broccoli
Seven Hills Brussels Sprout
Piacenza Savoy Cabbage
Precoce de Louviers Spring Cabbage
Spring cauliflower mix
Long Lisse de Meaux Carrot
Full White celery
Verde di Milano Dwarf Courgette
Tamra Cucumber
Colossal Fennel
Flashback Calendula Flowers
Finissimo small leaved basil
Frise Parsley
Chinese Garlic Chives
Sutherland Kale
Azur Kohlrabi
Monstrueux de Charentan Leek
Optima Lettuce
Blacktail Mountain Watermelon
Minnesota Midget melon
Sturon Brown Onion
Feast White Stem Onion
Tender & True Parsnip
Champion of England Pea
Red Top Radish
Atika Root Parsley
Legend Tomato
Red Cluster Pear Tomato

Crikey I thought it was never going to end, maybe my eyes are bigger than my belly.

Just need to order my Nantes Carrot seeds now for the Carrot Week.

I will keep you updated as they arrive and take a pic of the packs for you to see.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/5/2011, 8:16 am

Ya gotta love the people who come up with the names for seed.

I'll have a Tomato called Legend (at least I think I ordered that one) but have no clue if it is the same tomato.

Get ready to get dirty!
Deborah....an obvious fan of Mike Rowe
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 2/5/2011, 8:52 am

Here is what they say about it. I was going to put a pic on aswell but I think you may know what it looks like. Smile

Legend Bush (Moderately early salad type, some blight tolerance)
The red fruit are round and about the size of golf balls, with a pretty good flavour. We don't think any tomato is truly and completely blight-proof, so this is not a 'magic bullet' , but it is really worth a try!
Developed by Jim Myers and James Baggett, for cool areas, it will set fruit without pollination and so often fruits well even when the spring temperatures are very low.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/5/2011, 9:25 am

jumiclads wrote:snip ....Developed by Jim Myers and James Baggett, for cool areas, it will set fruit without pollination and so often fruits well even when the spring temperatures are very low.
OK, those are the guys from Oregon St U (or is is U of O?) just south of me. Same seed.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/5/2011, 12:47 pm

They are from OSU South of Portland.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 2/7/2011, 6:45 am

I have just ordered my first 2 Raised beds. They are going to be 4' Square by 10" deep. They are made from dark green UPVC. They cost around the same price as making them with timber but none of the hard work. Great stuff. I am getting excited now.

This is the site I am getting them from if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.earthbox.co.uk/engine/shop/product/GRB250-S/Build-a-Bed+250+Raised+Beds

jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/7/2011, 11:54 am

The raised bed frames look good and the description indicates that they are easy to put together.

Excitement reigns. Once you receive them and put them together, you need to let us know if they are as simple to use as the advertisement states.

Good Luck
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 2/7/2011, 12:29 pm

Hopefullly they work well -- Earthboxes were ALL the rage in Florida a few years ago, so I'm familiar with the brand, but haven't used the product.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 2/14/2011, 6:41 pm

Actually LaFee I got that one a little bit wrong. The raised beds are made by GardenSkill. They were just on the EarthBox web site.

A little update on my progress:

Seeds arrived the other day. I was going to put some photos on here of them but they are in plain packets so I won't bother this time. I will wait till they start growing.

We have finished sieving the garden now and the pile of rubble is twice the size. Sad . Well when I say we, I mean Adam my son finished it off cos I tore my chest muscles a week ago and have had to give it a rest for a few days.

Started levelling the mound of topsoil and the neighbours are starting to show the faces over the fence. "Looks like you will have too much topsoil there, I will take some off you if you like". I don't mind though cos it will save a skip. I should be able to give most of it away cos there are 4 neighbours after it up to now.

I may try a little raking tomorrow to try and level some more of the topsoil out. We will see what my chest is like tomorrow. Just shows you how week you get working for 30 years in an office. I need to do some bodybuilding I think.

jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 2/15/2011, 3:00 am

Good heavens, Mick -- it's a good thing you're participating in the gentle art of gardening!!

So does your lovely wife have a hot tub filled with Arnica gel just for your use? (Forget rubbing it on - sounds like you need full immersion!)

Hope you heal quickly and as painlessly as possible.
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 Empty Cherokee beans

Post  ander217 2/15/2011, 7:21 am

It's great to watch your progress with your garden, Mick.

Did your seed catalog give you the story behind Cherokee Trail of Tears beans? The Cherokee living on tribal lands in the southeastern US were forced by the government to relocate from their homes in Georgia to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) in 1838, and it is estimated that as many as 4000 of them died along the way, hence the name, "Trail of Tears". The beans were said to have been carried on the trail by the Cherokee to their new home. You are planting a little piece of US history.

The northern trail is about fifty miles north of my house, and the southern trail is about 90 miles south of me.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 2/15/2011, 7:28 am

jumiclads wrote:

Started levelling the mound of topsoil and the neighbours are starting to show the faces over the fence. "Looks like you will have too much topsoil there, I will take some off you if you like". I don't mind though cos it will save a skip. I should be able to give most of it away cos there are 4 neighbours after it up to now.

Just be careful not give away TOO much Laughing just in case it settles more than you expect!
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 Empty Jumiclads SFG and chickens

Post  walkaboutgirl 2/15/2011, 10:46 am

Hi there...really enjoying following your progress.

As you plan your beds and chicken coop, check out The Garden Girl videos on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbI6atR37qI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL). She is all about SFG on a small lot in Boston, and moves her chicken tractors and rabbit pens around all year to fertilize the beds, as they are built to fit right on top of the SFG beds.

Stay well. I'm jealous...we won't be gardening for another two months here in the high country.

Laurie
walkaboutgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 2/16/2011, 6:02 am

LaFee - I definately need something or so the wife says but not sure what she means.??

ander217 - Yes the Cherokee seeds were explained but not as concise as yours. Thanks.

Icemaiden - Thanks for the advice. I will be leaving it about 6" high to use some of it up and then I can allways remove
some at a later date when it has all settled.

Walkaboutgirl - Thanks for theinfo. I don't think I will be able to follow this idea exactly because I am using plastic raised
beds, but it gives me a few Ideas to adapt if I can.

Thanks everyone. All your ideas and advice are appreciated.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/16/2011, 6:15 am

Mick,

Wow, what a list.... and how exciting! (And, OUCH! Hope you mend quickly.)

Don't know how I missed it the first time around, but I grew Cherokee Trail of Tears beans last year. They are a pole black bean. Grew very well for me. You can use them as a "string" or "green" bean, but pick them early because they get stringy fast when they get bigger. Pods go scarlet as the beans inside turn black. Makes a very nice dry black bean if you let the pods dry out completely on the vine.

Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 3/2/2011, 5:17 pm

Hi all, not done a lot over the past couple of weeks. Still mending.

I have been doing some rubble moving (20 barrow loads) and levelling. Got rid of 40 barrows of topsoil to a neighbour but it still leaves around another 150 odd. Things are starting to look better now though.

I have bought all the bits to make up my grow light centre and will set that up soon. I was going to use bits around the house to make it but when it came to it I thought, well I would buy it all instead. Got enough to do with shaping the garden etc.

I did start a new puzzle yesterday. I think they call it a greenhouse. Looks more like a chinese puzzle to me. I managed to get the left hand end where the door goes made yesterday in a couple of hours. I made it up in the old firms office. I did check though that I could get it out of the door first. That would be funny if I couldn't. I would have to set up sun lamps indoors. Laughing

I will keep you posted on the progress as it happens, with pics of course.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/2/2011, 5:52 pm

Jumiclads wrote:I did start a new puzzle yesterday. I think they call it a greenhouse. Looks more like a chinese puzzle to me. I managed to get the left hand end where the door goes made yesterday in a couple of hours. I made it up in the old firms office. I did check though that I could get it out of the door first. That would be funny if I couldn't. I would have to set up sun lamps indoors.

My goodness, but you just don't do anything half-way, do you? Such ambitious plans, but you know, it will make for a wonderful way to keep busy, keep your son busy along with you, and provide all those marvelous vegetables for your whole family.

Enjoy!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/2/2011, 7:06 pm

I hurt all over just listening to all that work, Mick. Wow. What a trooper! Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/3/2011, 1:39 am

I'm glad to know that 20 barrowloads of rubble and 40 barrowloads of dirt "isn't doing much".

Shocked

Not sure I want to know what you consider a lot of work!
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 Empty Updates

Post  ander217 3/3/2011, 7:17 am

Thanks for the update, Mick. Can't wait to see how your space looks when you get it finished - or as finished as any gardener ever gets with one's space.

When does your planting season begin? We have a few squares of lettuce, radishes, cress, and spinach coming up. And of course, there is hubby's 4' x 10' bed of onions. I don't know WHAT he was thinking!

Just remember to take care of yourself and don't get another injury. Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 366258
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 3/3/2011, 11:02 am

I never do things by half, take after my dad for that. I either do things properly or not at all and I can feel the pain just thinking about it aswell. Smile

My growing season kind of starts now. I will start some seeds of indoors soon to try and keep up.

Ander217: Julie my wife says maybe your hubby is going to buy a bike and a beret and hang the onions round his neck and go door to door selling them.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 French10
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/5/2011, 2:33 am

jumiclads wrote:

Ander217: Julie my wife says maybe your hubby is going to buy a bike and a beret and hang the onions round his neck and go door to door selling them.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 3 French10

Oh wow! reminds me of the English airmen in "Allo! Allo!", stranded in a French town during the war and disguised themselves as onion sellers.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next