Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW May updates :) Toplef10PNW May updates :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW May updates :) I22gcj10PNW May updates :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW May updates :) Toplef10PNW May updates :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW May updates :) I22gcj10PNW May updates :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW May updates :)

+14
Goosegirl
Nonna.PapaVino
RoOsTeR
walshevak
cheyannarach
GWN
UnderTheBlackWalnut
curio
camprn
Lavender Debs
boffer
Daniel9999
gwennifer
FamilyGardening
18 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PNW May updates :) Empty PNW May updates :)

Post  FamilyGardening 5/8/2012, 3:21 am

hi ya PNW May updates :) 61949 fellow PNW-ners Very Happy

Looking forward to updates from all of you Very Happy

Hope you all are getting some nice sunny warm weather......

forcast for our familygarden area is more sunshine tomorrow and then a chance of rain for wed & thurs.....then to warm up again for the weekend cheers

we have been busy moving things around in our SFG area.....not the box's but the other planters to make room for our 100 tomato plants....not really 100...but i think we do have about 20 Shocked not sure if we will keep them all or give some away...we shall see.....

some of the baby tom's are spending their first night out up against the house on a table....they came from the green house.....we had to make room as the green house was getting full......some of our larger tom's we starting to look a bit sick....we gave them some trims and gave them a little bit more room between them to see if they were just to crowed in there.......🐘

our pepers are dong well getting big and starting to see some white flowers Very Happy today was their first day to visit outside.....they did fine in the shade but after a little bit of sun they started to whine....Razz ...got a bit droopy....so i felt sorry for them and took them back inside the house.....

sugar snap peas and fava beans are doing well!

the strawberries and blue berries are all in bloom!

we will cut our first salad tomorrow!

lets see.....oh....on a sad note....Mr. Collard green was pulled out from the SFG today....had to make room for the beans......he had flowered.......poor hubby was sad Sad ....wait until you see the pic's....his root were HUGE!......hubby couldnt even pull all of it out affraid .......and.....and....there was a baby mr. collard green growing!....yes...we pulled him out roots and all and replanted him in the back garden Very Happy .......by the way....our american bull dog loved eating that root!

in our raised beds.....

the potatoes are all up and looking great!

been cutting tons of bok choy.....oh....we found a tiny broc head forming Very Happy ....the walla walla onions are all doing great!.....cabbage is starting to form heads.....caulis, brossel sprouts and kolarabi (sp?) are all doing great....replanted some more carrots....those are not doing so well.....celery doing good.....

oh...i could go on...and on.....how is your garden doing?....what have you all been up to?

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

PNW May updates :) Empty Re: PNW May updates :)

Post  FamilyGardening 5/8/2012, 12:03 pm

here are some pic's of yesterday Very Happy

our peppers planted from seeds sunny

PNW May updates :) Dscf0514

artichoke planted from seed bounce

PNW May updates :) Dscf0515

mr. collard green before pulling him What a Face

PNW May updates :) Dscf0516

mr. collard greens root stock Shocked

PNW May updates :) Dscf0517

mr. collard greens root ball....or i should say some of his root ball tongue

PNW May updates :) Dscf0518

first year of fava beans Very Happy

PNW May updates :) Dscf0521

our peppers and some of our baby tomato seedlings from seeds Very Happy

PNW May updates :) Dscf0522

hugs

rose.....who is off to plant more beans albino
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/8/2012, 8:13 pm

Hi Rose! I tried to post a PNW May update thread just yesterday and everything locked up and I didn't want to re-type everything so that was that. Glad you got to it. All your plants look great!

Hot out there for the last few days! Anybody have advice about starting seeds outdoors in the SFG when the surface dries out so quickly in this weather? I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I CAN go out to mist every couple of hours, but it's a little stressful. I understand mulch can help retain moisture, but you can't mulch before the seedlings appear, can you?

Maybe it was too soon, but we're supposed to be past the last frost date and my MM was above 60 (thanks mom for the thermometer) so I sowed my cucumbers and pole beans. My pathetic brandywine tomato got transplanted into the SFG the day before high winds came through town and ravaged it. It's still alive but took a beating. All the peas were torn off the trellis but they are scrambling back up again. My two wonder bells were transplanted the same day, but were safe in their wall-o-waters (which stood up to the winds just fine).

It'll be a while yet before we have any harvest, but I'm hopeful.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 5/8/2012, 9:55 pm

Sowed some more carrot seeds (Rainbow Mixed and more Dragon Carrots) and put up a trellis for my Peas with some faux bamboo poles I found on Gardeners Supply.

PNW May updates :) Garde228_800x600

I tried to fold over the netting so it would be perfectly even.....but after a dozen or so tries and more than twice as many expletives I figured that was good enough.... Razz
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/8/2012, 10:44 pm

gwennifer wrote:...Hot out there for the last few days!...
Keep talking like that, and people will think you're a PNW native! Razz For the non-PNWers, it got up to 75° the last two days at my house (probably warmer at Gwen's house) and yes, the natives are already complaining about how hot it is! (My wife, for one.) If you mist your seeds 3x a day, they'll sprout faster than you've ever seen. You gotta figure out a way to make your trips to the garden a stress reliever, not a stress inducer. Easier said than done? Okay, lips zipped!

It's supposed to get to the mid-thirties here Wed and Thurs nights so I'm holding out for the weekend to plant my warm crops. Everything is prepped and ready to go, so it will be easy peasy planting a few seeds and transplanting a few starts.

Finally got my summer greenhouse up, and some stuff in it. I've got a few more barrels to put in, then it will be time to water and wait.
PNW May updates :) Dscn1710

Under the window, I'm experimenting with a greenhouse inside a greenhouse. It does maintain a 8-10 degree temp difference-when the sun shines to warm things up.
PNW May updates :) Dscn1711

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/9/2012, 8:37 am

Awesome B! Will you winter garden in there too or are you totally happy with your hoops? Either way, I like your house!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/10/2012, 3:47 pm

I'm finally going to show some pictures of my SFG.

1 square of garlic:PNW May updates :) Garlic10

1 square of white bulb type onion:PNW May updates :) Onion10

4 squares of lettuce, this one with the Simpson Elite and Red Sails is the farthest along Embarassed :PNW May updates :) Lettuc10

6 squares of broccoli (the closest one is growing faster than the rest for some reason):

PNW May updates :) Brocco11

2 squares for my wonder bell peppers, snug in their wall-o-waters: PNW May updates :) Bell_p10

2 squares with a carrot high rise (1 sprout yesterday morning when pic was taken, 15 today): PNW May updates :) Carrot10

2 squares of spinach (tried a new kind this year and I'm having a terrible time getting it to germinate Mad): PNW May updates :) Spinac10

2 squares of Oregon sugar pod peas (bottom rung of trellis is too high, but they eventually make it): PNW May updates :) Peas10

There is also a brandywine tomato in 1 square next to the peas that is too pathetic to show, and I'm still waiting to see sprouts from the cucumbers (1 square) and pole beans (2 squares). So that's all 24 squares!

I also have 3 faux whiskey barrel planters of potatoes that are growing rapidly, already almost "hilled up" to the top: PNW May updates :) Potato10
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/10/2012, 5:11 pm

Boff, SWEET looking hot house! Very nice! PNW May updates :) 311672 Fingers crossed.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

PNW May updates :) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/10/2012, 11:14 pm

gwn your garden looks great!

glad to hear the wall of water is working well!....i may give that a try next year.....the wind was really bad here yesterday!....our tom's were out of the green house all day and they took a beating Shocked

sorry to hear about your Brandywine.....ours are doing the same thing.....they look so awful compared to the other tom's we have growing....:scratch: we moved one out by her self into the SFG....she is in a pot...but we wanted to keep her away from the others just incase she is sick with something....her sister is not looking much better....we may loose them both.... we shall see....first time trying to grow brandywines....i have noticed though....the tom's that have the same kind of leaf as she does....are all acting weird.....What a Face

your onions look good Very Happy some of ours have started to flower.....not sure what to do....eat them?.....let them go to seed?....cut them back?

wow your potatoes look awesome too!!

Boffer......love your new green house!!

Dan i can not believe how well and fast your new garden is growing!!...looks good!!....are any of the kids that help at first to put the garden together...any of them haning out to help still?

good to see you debs!!....cant wait to see more of the toybox Very Happy

hugs

rose......who was out all day in some warm sun today....planting cheers
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/11/2012, 12:05 am

We get planting to do list every couple of weeks or so from http://mysquarefootgarden.net/sps/msfg-sps0-msh/
Thought it would be nice to share with you all!

To Do This Week

Start Seeds Inside

Transplant Plants

Plant Seeds Outside
Cantaloupe*
Cucumbers*
Summer squash*
Watermelon*

Basil*
Chives*
Cilantro*
Dill*
Oregano*
Rosemary*
Thyme*

Basil*
Beets
Bush beans*
Carrots
Chives*
Cilantro*
Corn*
Dill*
Lettuce
Oregano*
Pole beans*
Radishes
Spinach

*New plant! This was added since the previous week.
hope you find this helpful Very Happy

hugs

rose.....
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 5/11/2012, 12:50 am

Everyone's Garden is looking fantastic!

Thanks for the planting guide FamilyGardening..

Some of the kids help out with the plots their families have....a few of them have been taking advantage of the the unseasonal "summer" weather we have been having to get some planting done....mostly lettuce and other leafy greens and strawberries...I will take a few pics tomorrow when its light out.

Mother's Day is looking to be pretty nice this year....
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/11/2012, 2:58 am

boffer, I love my kids, I love my kids, I love my kids. I have to keep repeating that to myself sometimes! I will miss it when they've grown out of this stage of life, but so many things that should be easy (stepping out the back door to water my SFG) are not once the young 'uns are figured in. And 75 degrees is too hot! I may not be native to Washington, but remember I was raised in Alaska.

Rose, Thanks for the planting guide! I recognize that website - it's the one I found when trying to figure out how to make my SFG bed out of the vinyl fence parts. Now you have me wondering about onions. I inherited some green onions three years ago from a neighbor who was moving out of state. I cut them off, they grow again. They've never made a flower, no matter how long I've gone without cutting them. Hmmmm... wonder why not?

Question: My planting guide also said to start cucumbers indoors this month. Yet all my cucumber packets say to direct sow as soon as all danger of frost has passed and that starting indoors is not recommended. Does anyone know what the deal is with this?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/11/2012, 6:14 am

all i know about cucumbers is from what i have read they dont like to be transplanted Shocked

last year i ended up buying our cucumber transplants because our seedlings from starting indoors were dead with in a couple of days after transplanting them....but...i figured we transplanted them a bit to early outside and it was too cold for them What a Face because the store bought ones transplanted a couple weeks later did just fine.....we also direct seeded some last year....and as soon as they came up something ate them......so who knows....

this year we started ours again.....using those jiffy pellets....as soon as i see them pop up were going to put them out side....plus were are going to direct seed some too....and try and protect them from what ever was eating them last year....eeerr

hugs

rose who either has sun burn on her face or wind burn Shocked
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 5/11/2012, 8:28 am

Hi folks. If anyone has been wondering, I didn't drop off the planet... I've just been covered over busy.

Let's see, what's been happening since I last posted... Tomatoes are in, in the greenhouse bed and in the new hoop house that I'm trying (still not 100% sure of the placement re: sunlight) this year. Had to re-seed some of the parsnips, as some of the seedlings fell prey to something. Have seeded the last square of carrots. Second crop of turnip greens is up and growing, as are beets. The cole crops are growing like gangbusters, as is all the lettuce and both kinds of peas. I've transplanted the celery. Potatoes (four of the five varieties) are in need of being hilled up now... the fifth just isn't doing as well, so will probably overplant with the other variety that's in the same tower. Garlic, shallots and onions are doing VERY well... leeks still coming along, albeit slowly (don't remember if they grow really slowly or if something is an issue).

I've seeded the three cuke varieties, squash and musk melon in plantable "pots" and they are in the greenhouse, but haven't hatched yet.

Something happened to my peppers I started inside. I set them outside on the front porch, in the semi-shade, a couple of weeks ago to start hardening them off. Within a few days, one had some wilted leaves, which I pinched off. By the next morning, there were more on that plant, and a second plant had some. I separated those plants from the others, but by the next day, two more were affected. Within a week, all had basically wilted, nearly before my eyes. The last two... the leaves wilted within hours. My guess is that they were infected with something during their time outside, but don't know what it was. SOOOO... we bought pepper plants at the nursery to plant. Not the varieties I wanted, but some peppers are better than none.

I may try putting in the bush beans and corn, both under cover, this weekend. Also setting up the WalloWaters for the peppers this weekend.

We've been eating turnip greens and lettuce out of the garden for a few weeks now.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 5/11/2012, 12:41 pm

gwennifer wrote:boffer, I love my kids, I love my kids, I love my kids. I have to keep repeating that to myself sometimes! I will miss it when they've grown out of this stage of life, but so many things that should be easy (stepping out the back door to water my SFG) are not once the young 'uns are figured in. And 75 degrees is too hot! I may not be native to Washington, but remember I was raised in Alaska.

Rose, Thanks for the planting guide! I recognize that website - it's the one I found when trying to figure out how to make my SFG bed out of the vinyl fence parts. Now you have me wondering about onions. I inherited some green onions three years ago from a neighbor who was moving out of state. I cut them off, they grow again. They've never made a flower, no matter how long I've gone without cutting them. Hmmmm... wonder why not?

Question: My planting guide also said to start cucumbers indoors this month. Yet all my cucumber packets say to direct sow as soon as all danger of frost has passed and that starting indoors is not recommended. Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

You might find this helpful.

When to Plant

Cucumbers are usually started by planting seeds directly
in the garden. Plant after the danger of frost has passed,
and the soil has warmed in the spring. Warm soil is necessary for
germination of seeds and proper growth of plants. With ample soil
moisture, cucumbers thrive in warm summer weather. A second planting
for fall harvest may be made in mid- to late summer.

Cucumbers may be transplanted for extra-early yields. Sow two or
three seeds in peat pots, peat pellets or other containers 3 to 4 weeks
before the frost-free date. Thin to one plant per container. Plant
transplants 1 to 2 feet apart in rows 5 to 6 feet apart when they have
two to four true leaves. Do not allow transplants to get too large in
containers or they will not transplant well. Like other vine crops,
cucumbers do not transplant successfully when pulled as bare-root
plants.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/cucumber.cfm
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/11/2012, 5:14 pm

Daniel9999 wrote:
gwennifer wrote:Question: My planting guide also said to start cucumbers indoors this month. Yet all my cucumber packets say to direct sow as soon as all danger of frost has passed and that starting indoors is not recommended. Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

You might find this helpful.

When to Plant

Cucumbers are usually started by planting seeds directly
in the garden. Plant after the danger of frost has passed,
and the soil has warmed in the spring. Warm soil is necessary for
germination of seeds and proper growth of plants. With ample soil
moisture, cucumbers thrive in warm summer weather. A second planting
for fall harvest may be made in mid- to late summer.

Cucumbers may be transplanted for extra-early yields. Sow two or
three seeds in peat pots, peat pellets or other containers 3 to 4 weeks
before the frost-free date. Thin to one plant per container. Plant
transplants 1 to 2 feet apart in rows 5 to 6 feet apart when they have
two to four true leaves. Do not allow transplants to get too large in
containers or they will not transplant well. Like other vine crops,
cucumbers do not transplant successfully when pulled as bare-root
plants.

[url=http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/cucumber.cfm
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/cucumber.cfm[/quote[/url]]

Daniel, the information you've linked to meshes with the information on my seed packets, but the planting calendars that Rose and I have (from two separate sources) both say to sow cucumbers indoors this month, even though those calendars are giving information based on us being past our last frost date. I can't figure out why they would say that, so I was wondering if someone could explain it.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 5/11/2012, 5:36 pm

Sorry about that....sometimes my brain does not work right.

Anyway

Its because they are tender annuals that need between 65-75 degrees F soil temp to properly germinate.

Average Soil Temps in the Pacific Northwest in May often are often not that high.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/11/2012, 5:39 pm

Gotcha. PNW May updates :) 109486
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/11/2012, 6:05 pm

Daniel - I got a chuckle out of your post. The main campus of the U of I (where the link is from) is about 90 miles east of me. I've learned a LOT about weather in the PNW from all of you (never having been there). I never knew such a place existed where the climate was so...errr...temperate (well, AND rainy). Smile

This is what the daily temps are like during our seasons in central Illinois (where we abound in tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini). Smile

Winter - cold, cold, cold, darn cold, darn cold, darn cold, cold, cold
Spring - cold, darn cold, cold, cold, hot, cold, hot, hot, cold, hot, hot, hot, cold, hot
Summer - hot, hot, darn hot, darn hot, hot, hot, darn hot, hot
Fall - hot, darn hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold, cold, hot, cold, cold, cold

During Spring and Fall, cold days and hot days just battle it out until one wins. Smile We can literally be 40 degrees one day, and over 80 the next. Smile The word "weather" and "temperate" in our area don't often get used in the same sentence. (But it makes for great cucumbers because we pass moderate Spring right up and go right on to Summer.) Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/11/2012, 6:13 pm

What does "darn hot" mean? More than 78*?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 5/11/2012, 6:23 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:Daniel - I got a chuckle out of your post. The main campus of the U of I (where the link is from) is about 90 miles east of me. I've learned a LOT about weather in the PNW from all of you (never having been there). I never knew such a place existed where the climate was so...errr...temperate (well, AND rainy). Smile

This is what the daily temps are like during our seasons in central Illinois (where we abound in tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini). Smile

Winter - cold, cold, cold, darn cold, darn cold, darn cold, cold, cold
Spring - cold, darn cold, cold, cold, hot, cold, hot, hot, cold, hot, hot, hot, cold, hot
Summer - hot, hot, darn hot, darn hot, hot, hot, darn hot, hot
Fall - hot, darn hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold, cold, hot, cold, cold, cold

During Spring and Fall, cold days and hot days just battle it out until one wins. Smile We can literally be 40 degrees one day, and over 80 the next. Smile The word "weather" and "temperate" in our area don't often get used in the same sentence. (But it makes for great cucumbers because we pass moderate Spring right up and go right on to Summer.) Smile

Glad you got a chuckle out of my little mistake....somehow I mixed up and thought we were talking about transplanting cukes!

Embarassed

Ow well.....
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/11/2012, 6:26 pm

LOL - I don't pretend to have the temps that those in the south have...but yes, Debs...probably upper 90s to low 100s is what I'd call darn hot for this area. Smile

The lack of temperate-ness showed just this past week. According to Accuweather, FWIW (For What It's Worth), last Sunday's high temperature was 90 (yep, in early May). The low temperature the next day was 58. Smile

The saying in these parts is: If you don't like the weather here in the midwest, just wait a minute....it'll change. Smile

Daniel - The part that made me giggle was the U of I references which are probably based on our temps and how the temps in the PNW in May are nothing like that. Smile This crazy midwestern weather.... Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/11/2012, 7:41 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:What does "darn hot" mean? More than 78*?

lol!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/11/2012, 7:44 pm

hi Very Happy

anyone putting out their tom's?.....like to stay out What a Face for good What a Face no cover What a Face no protection What a Face

hugs

rose who is pondering letting some baby toms stay out in the garden over night.....eeek.....she may even transplant some to their perm homes...Shocked

so tempting with the weather being so nice.....
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/11/2012, 8:39 pm

I transplanted my brandywine into my SFG a week ago. It took a beating in a wind storm the very next day, but it's still alive and I can see it's putting on new growth.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next