Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? Toplef10Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? I22gcj10Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? Toplef10Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? I22gcj10Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canning tomato sauce without peeling???

+14
Goosegirl
camprn
quiltbea
miinva
sfg4uKim
FarmerValerie
ander217
kimbertangleknot
LaFee
chocolatepop
extremesoccermom
Patty from Yorktown
Old Hippie
milaneyjane
18 posters

Go down

Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? Empty Canning tomato sauce without peeling???

Post  milaneyjane 8/20/2010, 5:41 pm

Anyone have a sauce recipe for roma that you leave skin and seeds intact? My friend gave me arecipe that you leave the skin and seeds and just put in the blender. I am leary to try it without hearing from others first.

TIA!
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? Empty Re: Canning tomato sauce without peeling???

Post  Old Hippie 8/20/2010, 6:37 pm

Perhaps it makes a difference how good your blender is. Mine is not that great and would never pulverize all the seeds. What I probably would do is put the sauce through a strainer after the blender to get any seeds or pieces of skin out. That would still be easier than scalding and peeling them all, at least I think it would.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? Empty Re: Canning tomato sauce without peeling???

Post  Patty from Yorktown 8/21/2010, 8:31 am

Peeling tomatoes is super easy. It took far too long for me to learn to put the tomatoes in the boiling water for 10-15 seconds until the skin on one tomato splits, retrieve them and leave them in the colander. If you wait a long while and cut up the rest of the recipe you will be much less likely to scald your fingers. Green tomatoes do not peel well. Happy cooking.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom 8/21/2010, 9:32 pm

I hate peeling tomatoes. I would be ok if it was only 5 or 10 but I use 1/2 a bushel when I get around to canning. I tried the recipe on this board for roasting tomatoes. I tweaked it a little but it was so easy to cut, bake, blend and can. And the taste is amazing!
Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? DSC03986
Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? DSC03987
I laid down a bed of thyme, oregano, and basil on the bottom. Followed by a whole bunch of garlic slightly chopped then cut up tomatoes. (either halved or quartered depending on size) Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 375 for 40 minutes then 400 for 20 min. Allow to cool and blend all. Add a lemon juice. Put in clean jars and into a water bath for 20 min.
extremesoccermom

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 8/21/2010, 9:40 pm

Well I spent the better part of the day blanching, peeling and seeding the tomatoes. And then I saw soccermoms post. Definately will do that with the next batch. Thanks! I do the exact same thing to make sundried tomatoes that are heavenly! Just a lower temp for a lot longer.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 8/22/2010, 1:30 am

milaneyjane... what kind of mixer do you have? i just purchased a kitchenaid attachment and my life is complete!
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 8/22/2010, 9:11 am

It won't hurt a thing if you don't peel them.

It's for aesthetic reasons-- the skins don't break down in cooking, and some people don't like the look of them, and little kids tend to have a hissy fit.

If you don't care, it won't affect the quality of your goodies at all.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 2/1/2011, 12:06 am

So, this is to make a tomato sauce. Can this be used to make a spaghetti sauce that is slightly thicker? I'm pretty handy with canning now and quite a good cook, but I back in the day I had a disaster with making homemade spaghetti sauce and refused to try again... but... I'd like to try again this year.

For comparison in size what I'm use to using at home, the traditional ragu normal sized jar, because it has a tomato flavor without much to it, so I can add my own special mix of ground herbs and spices to make it my own.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 2/1/2011, 1:34 am

as long as it stays on the acidic side of things and doesn't have meat, yep...adding onions and peppers to make it spaghetti sauce is no biggie. I think the Blue Bell site and/or book have directions for spaghetti sauce.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? Empty I disagree

Post  ander217 2/1/2011, 8:22 am

LaFee wrote:as long as it stays on the acidic side of things and doesn't have meat, yep...adding onions and peppers to make it spaghetti sauce is no biggie. I think the Blue Bell site and/or book have directions for spaghetti sauce.

I disagree with you on this one, LaFee. Adding onions and peppers without following a tested recipe is a big no-no IMO. Onions and peppers are low acid and will lower the acidic content of the sauce.

The problem is, there is no way for a home cook to tell when the acidic level has gone too low. Tomatoes are a problem anyway because the amount of acid in them varies so much. They now recommend adding acid to them when canning, to be on the safe side.

Will adding onions and peppers on your own be a problem? Probably not. Can it be a problem? Yes, it can. To be safe you should follow a tested recipe from a modern canning book, as LaFee suggested. Their kitchens have the equipment to test the final result, and they know what proportion of low-acid veggies can be safely added.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/1/2011, 8:40 am

I like to chop and freeze my peppers, then pull them out and saute as needed, there is no reason you could not can your tomatoes per the advice above, and when you want spaghetti sauce, saute your peppers, onions and garlic (if more is needed) and add them to the mix in the pan when preparing for dinner.

I did have 2 tomatoes last year that were out of this world for sauce. First one was the small yellow pear, to small to skin IMO, so I did not. I just blanched it, tossed it in my blender and pureed it, skin seeds and all, and hubby loved it. I had to get over the yellow sauce on my pasta, but it tasted good. The Yellow Pear is actually a cherry type tomato, but worked great in my experiment. The other was probably an Amish Paste (or Rio Grand Roma, not sure, some plants lost their names 2 years ago in the garden, and this one popped up as a volunteer in the strawberry patch). I did skin this one, but that's it. It is a very meaty tomato, and has few seeds, so I blanched it, skinned it, and again pureed it. I prefer "petite" diced, but hubby wanted pureed, so this time he got what he wanted, and honestly at the time I did not have the desire to chop that many.

Another tip, you can rinse, dry, bag, and freeze tomatoes, and pull them out later for canning. I learned this 14 years ago, living in a mobile home atop of a hill, with no shade and a window unit for air conditioning. It was too hot to can, and we did not have the time or finances for an outdoor kitchen (my dream), so an older lady asked me why I wasn't freezing them and canning them in the fall or winter, when I could kill 2 birds with one stone by canning & heating the house at the same time. This also works out great for slow times, when you are not getting loads of tomatoes, you can freeze as you go, and can when you get enough to justify firing up the waterbath. Last year was my first year to have a pressure cooker for canning, but did not get the chance to use it, so I've been saving most of my food by freezing, water bath method, or drying-like my cowpeas. I prefer canning and drying, living in the country gets scary in the winter, when the power goes out and you have a deep freezer full of garden food, and it's not cold enough to pull everything out and put it in coolers on the porch. We've lost produce that way, so I'm drying most of our peas now, just add extra seasoning, and bacon bits, and if hubby doesn't see me put them in the pan dry to cook, he does not know. He says he can tell, but he eats them all the time and doesn't notice!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 2/1/2011, 9:06 am

Thanks for the info everyone. The roasting method sounds especially intriguing to me.

I just received my San Marzano tomato seeds in the mail!

LOL it's still hard to imagine a harvest when we've got snow on the ground and expecting freezing rain tonight.

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 2/1/2011, 1:03 pm

extremesoccermom wrote:I hate peeling tomatoes. I would be ok if it was only 5 or 10 but I use 1/2 a bushel when I get around to canning. I tried the recipe on this board for roasting tomatoes. I tweaked it a little but it was so easy to cut, bake, blend and can. And the taste is amazing!

I laid down a bed of thyme, oregano, and basil on the bottom. Followed by a whole bunch of garlic slightly chopped then cut up tomatoes. (either halved or quartered depending on size) Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 375 for 40 minutes then 400 for 20 min. Allow to cool and blend all. Add a lemon juice. Put in clean jars and into a water bath for 20 min.

I was just rereading this thread, which contains great information, but I was wondering if the oiling of the tomatoes for roasting would be a problem? I think I read that you aren't supposed to put oil in canned goods, although I can't remember where I read it.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/1/2011, 3:39 pm

I've got to get myself a Ball Canning Set.
Sounds good.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 2/1/2011, 4:09 pm

I did find a recipe on ball's canning website that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. And the bonus is, that it's only for 3/16oz pint jars. I bought this canning set last year -+- Ball® Canning Discovery™ Kit -+- as my intro into canning. I made the salsa that was in the little booklet, did NOT like it. It tasted more like vinegar than salsa. But this -+- Italian Style Tomato Sauce -+- is the recipe and it's great because it is so small so trying it wont be hard. I'll have to try the recipe here too, I have what I'm use to set in my mind but need to open up what to try. It might be better than what I think I want.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/1/2011, 4:26 pm

extremesoccermom wrote:I hate peeling tomatoes. I would be ok if it was only 5 or 10 but I use 1/2 a bushel when I get around to canning. I tried the recipe on this board for roasting tomatoes. I tweaked it a little but it was so easy to cut, bake, blend and can. And the taste is amazing!

miinva wrote:I was just rereading this thread, which contains great information, but I was wondering if the oiling of the tomatoes for roasting would be a problem? I think I read that you aren't supposed to put oil in canned goods, although I can't remember where I read it.
You may be thinking of preserving in oil, which is a whole other animal and not recommended by the USDA.You may add oil to tomato sauces and such, as long as you follow the recipe and retain the acid at a recommended level in the product.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/1/2011, 5:22 pm

I have heard from several people who can their salsa, NOT to put the cilantro in before canning it, save it for adding fresh when serving. I have not tried making more than what was needed for eating right then and there, so I don't know if there is a difference, but I've heard there is.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/20/2011, 3:01 pm

I hate seeds in my sauce but don't care if skins are on or off, but I am also about as lazy as you can get, so I use 2 options for canning my tomato sauce:

1. A few years ago I found a food mill on ebay for $50 which was a MIRACLE worker for saucing my tomatoes before cooking them down and canning - fast and oh, so easy. It got lots of use from 4 different people that year as well!

2. Last year when my food mill was making the rounds with friends, my tomatoes were ready to sauce. SO, I cut the stem end off, squeezed out as many seeds as possible and tossed them in the food processor with skins on, before cooking down and canning. I grew a paste tomato last year, Russian Purple, that was just amazing for this. Its texture was not firm at all, but it was incredibly meaty and very few seeds which just POPPED out with a slight squeeze. Simple squeeze, toss, whirl, cook, can!

Goosegirl
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 4/10/2011, 2:33 pm

My mom's friend comes from a farm family. She is an avid gardener, producing enough veggies to feed us, her family, and her grown childrens families.

She makes her own tomato sauce and I got to watch it last year. She takes a lot of different veggies from the garden, mostly tomatoes but also green peppers, carrots, onions, zucchinis, anything ready and over producing, sticks it all in a food processor, little by little, then fills it into a very large stock pan, 20-30 gallon it's monstrous, adds seasonings, and then slow cooks it all day long and reduces it. I don't believe it's suitable for canning because you have to have precise ph balance and all but she sticks it in old plastic containers and freezes it. She has enough to use it year round. She showed me how to make it last year, there is no exact recipe they just go through the garden and make it a couple times throughout the summer. It's absolutely the best I've ever had, great for Italian type dishes.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Canning tomato sauce without peeling??? Empty Can't wait till my maters come in!!

Post  bettyd_z7_va 4/11/2011, 5:22 am

I'm so wanting to make tomato sauce this year!!

Extremesoccermom - Can you share your recipe? I want to make sure I have the acid level correct to can it safely.

I have another question for everyone - I'm extremely allergic to onions and garlic. The Italian Style Tomato Sauce that kimbertangleknot posted has my name all over it, but my question is -

Can I substitute zucchini for the onions? I figure it has about the same water content as the onions.

What do y'all think? TIA!

Betty
bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/11/2011, 8:12 am

That would most likely (don't quote me) be the same acidity as veggie stew/soup. Call your local county extension office if you are unsure. Freezing is great, but life in the country often leaves us with out power for a weekend during the summer, freak summer storm, drunk driver hits a pole, etc., so I'm trying to turn to canning and dehydrating.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  pamlstano 6/1/2011, 2:17 am

Without peeling tomatoes howz looking tomatoes sauce?? I know about canning sauce. I will try it tomorrow.
pamlstano

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/2/2012, 8:19 am

You have to have precise pH to water-bath can; pressure canning works fine if you can't be precise about pH.

But really, "precise" pH just means adding some citric acid or ascorbic acid or vinegar to each batch, and maybe some sugar to counteract the acidity.

Opalkas have almost no seeds and thus don't have to be seeded, which saves a lot of aggravation IMO. Just peeling is minimal work compared to seeding.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum