Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 Toplef10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 I22gcj10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 Toplef10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 I22gcj10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maybe a silly question but...
by aadams43 Today at 9:36 pm

» Seedling Identification
by OhioGardener Today at 6:39 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 4:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:13 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

+17
sanderson
trolleydriver
No_Such_Reality
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
newbeone
jmsmall
CitizenKate
yolos
Boz
Windmere
Zmoore
milt48
Kelejan
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
jimmy cee
21 posters

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  Kelejan 2/24/2016, 10:54 am

has55 wrote:Just got my book from the library yesterday. Only had time to read the forward and preface. Looking forward to getting into the meat of it.

I will look forward to your take on this book, hass55, as I think you are very knowledgeable about this subject.

Any suggestions for the less adept at gardening will be appreciated by me.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  sanderson 2/24/2016, 3:09 pm

trolleydriver wrote: In my regular soil veggie garden (that which is not converted to SFG) I will try to apply the NO rototilling (or no deep digging) principle this year. The book deserves at least a second read if I have time.
I feel that when I pull up the exhausted plants, I am doing a little "rototilling".  From the book, I am gathering that the bacteria are the most important for veggies, the threaded fungi to a lesser degree.  I try to be careful of the worms and use that as the gauge for the amount of disturbance.

TD, I created a 3' x 3' flower spot where the backyard tree was, like your 4' x 4'.  Since is was only for flowers, I first spread a layer of horse manure, then various bags of compost, Kelloggs, some peat moss, ancient bags of perlite, etc.  It transformed over the months into rich growing media as judged by the healthy, huge flower plants.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21527

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/25/2016, 4:43 pm

Kelejan wrote:
has55 wrote:Just got my book from the library yesterday. Only had time to read the forward and preface. Looking forward to getting into the meat of it.

I will look forward to your take on this book, hass55, as I think you are very knowledgeable about this subject.

Any suggestions for the less adept at gardening will be appreciated by me.
Thank you kelejan for the blessing. I feel I'm walking among giants. I have learned so much from the forum.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/25/2016, 10:18 pm

In the teaming with Microbes book, page 142, Jeff said to add fungi at the end of brewing, because it is fragile and would be destroyed during the making of the brew. So do we dip it in, shake it or just place the fungi in at the last few minutes to get it off the homemade fungi compost we produced from the recipe on page 141-142.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 Img_1710

I was impressed with their results with powdery mildew using a fungal dominated tea on the leaves and bacteria dominated tea for the garden soil. He suggested using a hand pump concrete sprayer to decrease the need of straining  and removing many one microbes  out when using a regular garden . hand pump sprayer. This pump is made for large particles. Has anyone every use a concrete hand pump sprayer and could recommend one?  I never heard of it till I read the book

Jeff recommended on page 157 using a traveling  lawn sprinkler for dispersing your tea on the lawn? Has anyone every use one?

Fungal domination is recommended in compost tea for soil drench instead of hauling piles of compost. what is everyone thoughts?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/26/2016, 2:51 am

Has, I think Mel's Mix basically takes care of the issue of bacteria and fungi and other critters in the veggie beds. The book seems to be geared towards understanding the complex food web for dirt, be it veggie row gardening, shrubs, lawns, or trees. One section I still have to read is fighting diseases (near the end but before Lawns). Every time we water the beds, some tea is released. One thing that made me feel better is that nutrients are held within the soil and that the dripping under the beds may be brown but is not necessarily washing out all the critters and nutrients (just some). They and the nutrients are secure within the structure of the mix.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/26/2016, 7:29 am

sanderson wrote:Has,  I think Mel's Mix basically takes care of the issue of bacteria and fungi and other critters in the veggie beds.  The book seems to be geared towards understanding the complex food web for dirt, be it veggie row gardening, shrubs, lawns, or trees.  One section I still have to read is fighting diseases (near the end but before Lawns).  Every time we water the beds, some tea is released.  One thing that made me feel better is that nutrients are held within the soil and that the dripping under the beds may be brown but is not necessarily washing out all the critters and nutrients (just some).  They and the nutrients are secure within the structure of the mix.  
I'm sorry, I left off a part of that statement. it was about doing large lawns, not the garden SFG beds which should have the mel's mixed or homemade compost. He was giving a alternative to people with large lawns, a cost and time saving method for those lawns. I have 3,000 feet, so It caught my attention.  

Also I noticed tat I didn't say the fungal dominated tea was for the lawn too and for attacking powdery mildew on the garden plants
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/26/2016, 12:53 pm

Has, I'll check the book later, but the disease I am fighting is a fungus, so bacterial would be indicated. ??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 2/26/2016, 1:58 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Do you think microbes may be a good section in the forums ? Like along side pests and disease under the SFG title ?
...or how about the entire scope of "permaculture"?

(There's a university library that's a 5 minute walk from where I work... I'll have to go check out this book.)
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/2/2016, 9:40 pm

Those who have read this book, Teaming with Microbes, know the word Archaea.

Well, I came across that word in an article I was reading and I said to myself, "I know that word".

The article I was reading was about the microbiome of belly buttons.  Some of us are a home for Archaea. Very Happy

(I'm wondering if I should have put this under Senseless Banter?)
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/2/2016, 9:45 pm

Kelejan wrote:Those who have read this book, Teaming with Microbes, know the word Archaea.

Well, I came across that word in an article I was reading and I said to myself, "I know that word".

The article I was reading was about the microbiome of belly buttons.  Some of us are a home for Archaea. Very Happy

(I'm wondering if I should have put this under Senseless Banter?)

I get it, Kelejan! Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/3/2016, 6:04 pm

I have now handed back to the library the copy I had, and have ordered the book, "Teaming with Nutrients" published in 2013.

I am hoping to learn more.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/4/2016, 8:45 am

Kelejan wrote:I have now handed back to the library the copy I had, and have ordered the book, "Teaming with Nutrients" published in 2013.

I am hoping to learn more.
I could never remember even most of it, It will be a read that I keep by my side forever. I already have so many marking in it that any one else would consider me crazy
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/4/2016, 10:46 am

I read 'Teaming with Nutrients'. Actually I just looked at the pictures/diagrams.
Too much chemistry for my li'l pea brain.
Embarassed
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/4/2016, 11:12 am

I'm returning my copy of Teaming with Microbes to the Library today. At the same time I am picking up the Second Edition of ANSFG which I had placed a hold on.  I have the first edition and want to compare it with this second edition.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/4/2016, 1:35 pm

Anyone read both TWM and TWN? As far as difficulty, how do they compare? Microbes is moderately difficult if one hasn't taken microbiology. I think it is excellent for those without a background, enough technical info but basic enough to get the idea that there is a whole fascinating world in the soil.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/4/2016, 1:51 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I read 'Teaming with Nutrients'.  Actually I just looked at the pictures/diagrams.
Too much chemistry for my li'l pea brain.
Embarassed
CC
CC
Take it apart in topics and not the entire book, for instance  Compost Tea, read it and when you come across an item that is strange to you ( heck the entire book is strange to me ) look it up in the index and read up on it..

My understanding of the compost tea is that it's almost a cure all for everything... I'm going to read it about a dozen times and still not understand it, however each time I do, something sinks in.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/4/2016, 5:55 pm

sanderson wrote:Anyone read both TWM and TWN?  As far as difficulty, how do they compare?  Microbes is moderately difficult if one hasn't taken microbiology.  I think it is excellent for those without a background, enough technical info but basic enough to get the idea that there is a whole fascinating world in the soil.

I think I learned a lot reading this book and I have no background in microbiology, just an interest in how things work.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/7/2016, 11:17 pm

Two clicks of the mouse and I accidentally Wink  ordered Teaming with Nutrients.  Has anyone besides CC started reading it?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/8/2016, 8:03 am

I'm now going through my second read, Concentrating on compost tea now, is such an amazing topic. If for no other reason this in itself was worth it.
Being able to manufacture the tea in a bacteria, fungal, or balanced tea is a great task..
A tip
Fungal dominated tea can prevent powdery mildew on plants, ( can, not does )  it also helps with many pests surprisingly. The microbes in the tea when added to leaves produce a slime material that helps them stick to leaves, once established, neither rain, or wind can dislodge them..There they sit and wait to do their thing.
If you do nothing else, read about compost tea, in this book or elsewhere...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/13/2016, 9:16 pm

Tomorrow from the library I will collect the book, "Teaming with Nutrition".
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/14/2016, 2:22 am

sanderson wrote:Has,  I'll check the book later, but the disease I am fighting is a fungus, so bacterial would be indicated.  ??

Just saw this. I don't have a answer. I'm still reading the book. I'm buying a copy tomorrow to reread, esp the compost, mulched and compost tea section. This way I can mark it up my book like a little kid on Christmas Day or like Jimmy Cee. Hee,Hee Twisted Evil
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/14/2016, 2:24 am

sanderson wrote:Two clicks of the mouse and I accidentally Wink  ordered Teaming with Nutrients.  Has anyone besides CC started reading it?

Let's us know what you think. I'm behind the posse in reading the book, still on TWM
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/14/2016, 8:59 am

sanderson wrote:Has,  I'll check the book later, but the disease I am fighting is a fungus, so bacterial would be indicated.  ??
 I just read the part that explains your problem..
Pathogenic and parasitic fungi are many, it indicates and filling books to try explaining them would be easy.
Looks like to me You must find which one you have, then go on to find the cure or treatment.
If you have the book check page 72. under Pathogenic and parasitic.
There may be beneficial fungi to treat it
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/15/2016, 3:02 am

Still waiting for TWN. Where is that book? Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 4 950477

I split the compost tea maker into a separate topic. Others may be interested in buying or making a set up.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/15/2016, 10:12 am

sanderson wrote:
trolleydriver wrote: In my regular soil veggie garden (that which is not converted to SFG) I will try to apply the NO rototilling (or no deep digging) principle this year. The book deserves at least a second read if I have time.
TD, I created a 3' x 3' flower spot where the backyard tree was, like your 4' x 4'.  Since is was only for flowers, I first spread a layer of horse manure, then various bags of compost, Kelloggs, some peat moss, ancient bags of perlite, etc.  It transformed over the months into rich growing media as judged by the healthy, huge flower plants.
I'm thinking now that I will leave the two 4x4 soil beds (the ones behind my SFG beds) as regular soil beds and try to apply some things from the Teaming With Microbes book. I was going to convert them to SFG this year. In the past that area of the garden has always done well for growing tomatoes, peppers and beans. Of course, it also grows weeds which can be a nuisance. The only amendments I ever used were my home made compost and some horse manure (added the manure just one year). I have applied no chemical fertilizers in the 29 years we have been here. This community was farmland before the houses were built in the 1960s and the soil is quite easy to work. Below the top 18 inches there is clay. If I leave the two 4x4 soil beds as is then I can focus on adding more SFG beds elsewhere.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next