Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 Toplef10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 I22gcj10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 Toplef10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 I22gcj10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

+17
sanderson
trolleydriver
No_Such_Reality
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
newbeone
jmsmall
CitizenKate
yolos
Boz
Windmere
Zmoore
milt48
Kelejan
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
jimmy cee
21 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  jimmy cee 2/19/2016, 3:23 pm

sanderson wrote:60 years ago, you were busy being a young man with no time. Wink

yes yes...quite the difference between a full of life young man...and a full of life old man.
Honestly, I couldn't tell you which one I prefer...I'll just take what's given to me and enjoy it all.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  Kelejan 2/19/2016, 5:40 pm

sanderson wrote:60 years ago, you were busy being a young man with no time. Wink
And I was being a young women with no time and little thought.
You know, boys. Very Happy  Well, one boy.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/19/2016, 6:07 pm

As I wrote on our Canadian Regional thread I went out and did an hours weeding, the first time this year. It's lovely getting one's fingers in the dirt once again.

Anyway, I had a go at the creeping buttercup that has taken a hold on some of my BTE square footage that is covered with wood chips.

These wood chips were laid down in the spring of 2014 and most of the chips were were not ramidial (cannot find the right spelling in my dictionary) but mostly pure wood from the up to five inch diameter branches from my felled birch trees. Over that summer and all last year I tried to incorporate as many nutrients as I could lay my hands on; decayed wood from my hillside, leaves, compost, coffee grounds, several harvests of comfrey leaves from my secret location, ground eggshells, etc.

Unfortunately for me, I did not do much weed pulling last year, and the growth of this creeping buttercup has taught me the lesson to get the weeding done as early in the year as possible and keep on top of it and not slack off.

Today I dug in the top couple of inches to loosen the soil,(mostly partly decomposed wood chips) and gently pulled up as many plants as possible.  I was surprised at the length of some of the roots.  All the plants had loads of roots, and some of those roots were up to eleven inches long with the prize being taken by an apparently small plant that had several roots up to sixteen inches long.  Naturally as I pulled some of the plants broke off and therefore broken roots were left in the ground, no doubt to carry on. I intend to get out this year and do at least fifteen minutes of dedicated weeding each possible day. Last year, in spit of not very much rain, I was overwhelmed by the weeds.

With my new knowledge of the soil from this book we are reading, I half-recognised the changes, grey stuff and loads of worms scurrying away from my depredations of their home.  I thought of all the exudates from the roots feeding all these little creatures in the soil and I am excited to see if my blueberries, garlic, tulips and daffodils show any improvements over last years efforts.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/19/2016, 9:01 pm

I skipped ahead to the lawn section. We have dollar spot fungus and it recommended building the bacterial load. So, I made some fresh compost tea and sprayed the front lawn. I'll sow the bare spots and cover with screened compost. Maybe some milk and molasses before the heat. But, I will keep up the compost tea spraying, like every other week? and see if we can't beat this fungus. Maybe even convince husband that this year he can cut and drop the lawn clippings as this is the year of bacteria. I have hope.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/19/2016, 11:39 pm

Youth is wasted on the young. Mark Twain
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/20/2016, 7:43 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:

Youth is wasted on the young.  Mark Twain

This may be true, however
                                          Mark Twain did not have as much fun as I had growing up !!!!!! Smile
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/20/2016, 6:43 pm

lol! somehow Jimmy, I know that is a definite possibility!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/21/2016, 9:02 am

Just got an email from my public library stating that the "Teaming with Microbes" book that I had requested is ready for pickup.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/21/2016, 9:40 am

With your inquiring mind you are going to enjoy this book, TD.

I have one more chapter to read then I will be able to start on Part 2, "Applying Soil Food Web Science to Yard and Garden Car".

It is well worth reading Part 1 thoroughly before starting on the garden itself.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/21/2016, 2:10 pm

I finished mine last night.  I learned lots, and it kinda turned my li'l chick pea brain to hummus.
Wink

I was glad to read how they feel about manure.  I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world who felt that way.

Can't wait for Teaming with Nutrients to come in to my library!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/21/2016, 2:27 pm

Now the suspense about "how they feel about manure" is killing me....nice tickler, CC! Lol
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/21/2016, 2:44 pm

I bought the Teaming With Microbes book and the Rodale Composting book a long time ago when I first started SFG.  They were so packed with so much information I easily became overloaded with information.  After I retire again (hopefully in two weeks) I will take the time to read them.  Now that I have more experience and knowledge I am sure I will be able to get something worthwhile out of these two books this time.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/21/2016, 7:43 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I finished mine last night.  I learned lots, and it kinda turned my li'l chick pea brain to hummus.
Wink

I was glad to read how they feel about manure.  I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world who felt that way.

Can't wait for Teaming with Nutrients to come in to my library!

CC

That was an interesting view, CC.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/21/2016, 7:45 pm

yolos wrote:I bought the Teaming With Microbes book and the Rodale Composting book a long time ago when I first started SFG.  They were so packed with so much information I easily became overloaded with information.  After I retire again (hopefully in two weeks) I will take the time to read them.  Now that I have more experience and knowledge I am sure I will be able to get something worthwhile out of these two books this time.

I suggest you read one chapter at a time, then put the book down to think about it, or maybe read it twice.  Slowly.    Worked for me.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2016, 1:43 am

I'm almost finished. What is amazing to me is that Mel's Mix parallels natural soils - good for all of the organisms found in nature. I can't wait until everyone is finished and we can hold a "book club."

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/22/2016, 8:15 am

sanderson wrote:I'm almost finished.  What is amazing to me is that Mel's Mix parallels natural soils - good for all of the organisms found in nature.  I can't wait until everyone is finished and we can hold a "book club."
Hi Sanderson
Do you think microbes may be a good section in the forums ? Like along side pests  and disease under the SFG title ?
Nothing has inspired me as much as this book since I read the SFG book 4 years ago.
As you mention above, it all fit right in...I'm sure I'll have questions as I read the book over and over, a forum with that topic might be able to help those who haven't read the book.
Just a thought...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2016, 12:47 pm

thinking Helpful Critters? Wink Need to think about this. Maybe as a sticky, at least I think that is what it is called. I'll research. Otherwise, not everyone is interested in microbiology, they just know that SFG works and quality compost is so important.

Some questions for our future discussion:
Q: why is vermiculite so important in MM?
Q: which is more important in raised veggie beds, bacteria or fungi?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/22/2016, 12:51 pm

Why don't we just keep all conversation about the microbes to this thread?  Works for me.

My guesses:
1) Moisture retainer
2) Bacteria

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2016, 1:02 pm

Very Happy I was just throwing out these questions in advance!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/22/2016, 2:18 pm

I picked up the Teaming with Microbes book at my public library around 11:30 am. Came home and had lunch and now I am about one-third of the way through reading the book. Quite interesting.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/22/2016, 10:07 pm

sanderson wrote:thinking  Helpful Critters?   Wink  Need to think about this.  Maybe as a sticky, at least I think that is what it is called.  I'll research.  Otherwise, not everyone is interested in microbiology, they just know that SFG works and quality compost is so important.

Some questions for our future discussion:
Q:  why is vermiculite so important in MM?
Q:  which is more important in raised veggie beds, bacteria or fungi?
  1st answer.....because Mel says it is...LOL...seriously tho, holds moisture and helps maintain mix friability
If I remember correctly they are both as important,

Sanderson, good ideas above. your very sensible.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/22/2016, 10:24 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Why don't we just keep all conversation about the microbes to this thread?  Works for me.

My guesses:
1) Moisture retainer
2) Bacteria

CC

+1
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/23/2016, 1:28 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Why don't we just keep all conversation about the microbes to this thread?  Works for me.

My guesses:
1) Moisture retainer
2) Bacteria

CC
Fungi for trees, shrubs, perennials.

Yes, I think a thread on all these small creatures would be a good one.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/23/2016, 2:49 pm

I just finished reading the "Teaming with Microbes" book. Except for the tongue twisting scientific names it was a fairly easy read. There is definitely a ton of information provided in the book. I learned a lot of new things. Will I apply the suggestions to my own garden (veggies, flowers, trees/bushes, lawn)?  Yes and No. I don't think I will be sending soil samples out for biological analysis. For fun I may do some of my own testing per the instructions in the book. I certainly can use some of the advice on composting, compost tea, mulching, etc. In my regular soil veggie garden (that which is not converted to SFG) I will try to apply the NO rototilling (or no deep digging) principle this year. The book deserves at least a second read if I have time.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/24/2016, 4:46 am

Just got my book from the library yesterday. Only had time to read the forward and preface. Looking forward to getting into the meat of it.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next