Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! Toplef10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! I22gcj10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! Toplef10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! I22gcj10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

+17
sanderson
trolleydriver
No_Such_Reality
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
newbeone
jmsmall
CitizenKate
yolos
Boz
Windmere
Zmoore
milt48
Kelejan
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
jimmy cee
21 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! Empty Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  jimmy cee 2/5/2016, 8:40 am

When I first read the book SFG, I found exactly what I have been seeking, but did not know I was seeking..
It has changed my life forever, and for the better I might add...

Now, another book (read) has come along that will change to way I do my gardening, and for the better I might add ( I hope)
For anyone, and I do mean anyone who is doing gardening with any method, and doing their own composting,  this is a must read...If you don't read it, or at the very least browse through it, you're doing yourself a huge dis service..
I certainly did not absorb it all, however I do understand so much more now than before and that in itself will change my tactics.
I picked this book up at Barnes & Noble

I did not place this in the winter reading, I'm thinking it's to important for that.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! Microb14
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  CapeCoddess 2/5/2016, 10:42 am

Just ordered if from the library! Thanks, Jimmy!
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  jimmy cee 2/5/2016, 1:18 pm

Just a little bit.
Did you know when a pile heats itself up there are microbes doing it? and they do it in sections, one group starts the process atlow temps, when pile gets to 104 deg F another group takes over, the previous group cannot tolerate higher temps so they develop protection against higher temps. They remain that way until the temps return to their level, then they become active. And this goes on till the pile is complete.

Did you know ( and this is a good one)  if a pile reaches 160deg F it starts to burn carbon, no pile should go over 160 F..

Turning a pile is the only method to really control it..sooooo much good info, and if you can grasp the rest...unbelievable.... I can't grasp it all, at least not one time around

If you use fertilizer, or any other methods of nutrients other than your good compost, it will destroy the entire food soil web, there fore, plants become dependent on those chemicals for survival...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/5/2016, 4:07 pm

Okay, Jimmy, I finally ordered it! Razz

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/6/2016, 7:22 am

It's all starting to come together in my mind.
In the Back To Eden presentation, the soil in the woods was explained.
How God/nature programmed everything to work in unison.
No fertilizer, or anything else was ever added, Everything grew beautifully. Man wasn't around.

After recently becoming aware of plants being able to send out signals to attract a special
beneficial predator for a specific bug that is trying to destroy it, ( takes time though to do this)  all those microbes working for the good of the plant, all those that have negative effects being controlled naturally. It is becoming a fascinating world to me at the young age of 80 years..

And this is a tiny portion of nature, a wee wee wee tiny portion. just imagine what the rest of nature has to offer.
I just had to rant about this here..Almost like wanting to yell to the rest of the world...hey look what I found...LOL
I see folk mentioning organic all the time....they (myself included)  have no clue what organic really consists of.
I will tell you one thing, when ever I discover something that is verified, that's beneficial to this group, I'm a gonna yell it from the highest roof tops.

Here's a good one that's going to be hard to swallow !!!! snails/slugs, sowbugs, etc., are part of the soil food web, they are there for a reason....What they do deep under are the positive actions... That's going to be a hard one for me to accept.
bye for now...LOL...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/6/2016, 9:48 am

Slugs, eh?  Hmm... the only benefits I can see for them is aeration, to attract birds and to help the plant rev up its defense mechanisms which in turn means more nutritious food for us. 
Shocked 
I guess that's a lot now that I think about it. I actually do grow greens without cover just for the extra nutrition. It takes longer before I can harvest them because they are usually eaten down to the nubbins by the bugs but they eventually come back... Well, some of them anyway.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/6/2016, 10:12 am

Ordered it. Inter library loan!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/6/2016, 11:04 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Slugs, eh?  Hmm... the only benefits I can see for them is aeration, to attract birds and to help the plant rev up its defense mechanisms which in turn means more nutritious food for us. 
Shocked 
I guess that's a lot now that I think about it. I actually do grow greens without cover just for the extra nutrition. It takes longer before I can harvest them because they are usually eaten down to the nubbins by the bugs but they eventually come back... Well, some of them anyway.

CC
Many benefits are stated...predators eat slugs, etc. waste is then discharged, bacteria acts on the waste, yeas aeration is another, also the slime they discharge as they move over the ground, bacteria acts on this also...I can't remember it all...
This may be as difficult for some to think about, probably as difficult as row gardeners changing over to S.F.G. study
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/6/2016, 11:34 am

Here is a page about slugs and snails I was able to scan.
I tried to edit the page, didn't work very well, will keep trying, in the meantime we may be able to decipher a bit here

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! Img11
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/6/2016, 1:49 pm

The one thing I noticed from the one year of having ramial and plain wood chips down around the SFG boxes and flower beds is that the snails and slugs have stayed out of the boxes and have eaten fewer of the flowers. I wonder if it was because they found a new environment that they liked so they didn't need to eat/live around the plants I'm wanting to grow. ??? Just a thought. . .

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/6/2016, 9:30 pm

Yep. I get it. All creatures have a place inthe garden. boogie woogie
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/7/2016, 12:17 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Ordered it.  Inter library loan!  

I have as well, Scorpio, and my library has informed me it is in stock and they will let me know when it is in our local library.  It looks as though this will open a whole new window for us.

It also sounds that it will be a must-have book for my own collection. Looking forward to reading it and being able to discuss things.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/7/2016, 3:19 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Yep.  I get it.  All creatures have a place inthe garden. boogie woogie
Well, now you went and did it. I've got the earworm  so I'm going to have to share it:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-iP27eatYxE
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/7/2016, 3:26 pm

I LOVE CELTIC THUNDER! cheers  A lot better than snails and slugs....

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 2/7/2016, 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot my thought)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  milt48 2/7/2016, 5:39 pm

I was going to post something about microbes, but I am to busy stomping my feet and clapping along with Celtic Thunder. carrot
milt48
milt48

Male Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 2/8/2016, 1:11 pm

UGH!  My brain is going to explode!
I ordered this book up on my Kindle last week after Jimmy hit the forum with a photo of the book cover again.  Heck, loved the Rodale book he suggested, maybe this will be as interesting.
Ouch!
Oh, it's interesting, nematodes eating wasps, fungi eating nematodes, protozoa, nutrient conversion, slime mold, it's a "jungle out there", literally.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/8/2016, 4:55 pm

Zmoore wrote:UGH!  My brain is going to explode!
I ordered this book up on my Kindle last week after Jimmy hit the forum with a photo of the book cover again.  Heck, loved the Rodale book he suggested, maybe this will be as interesting.
Ouch!
Oh, it's interesting, nematodes eating wasps, fungi eating nematodes, protozoa, nutrient conversion, slime mold, it's a "jungle out there", literally.
Gotta order my next read by the same author  Teaming With Nutrients   sound like another great connection with plants.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/15/2016, 2:35 pm

I am off this afternoon to collect my copy of "Teaming with Microbes".
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/15/2016, 2:41 pm

Mine has left a CA hub and should be here Tues or Wed!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/15/2016, 2:44 pm

sanderson wrote:Mine has left a CA hub and should be here Tues or Wed!
Then we will both be on the same wavelength.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/15/2016, 2:48 pm

sanderson wrote:Mine has left a CA hub and should be here Tues or Wed!

Mine should be in the library for pick up Tue or Wed! I'm with ya, ladies.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/15/2016, 3:12 pm

I just know you are all going too be amazed at this read, I am almost done with it and when I am...I'll start all over again
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/15/2016, 4:01 pm

I now have it, jimmy.  I will allow myself an hour to start reading it this afternoon.  I have three weeks before I return it, and perhaps I will buy the work for future
reference etc.

I have a copier so I can copy stuff that I want to refer to even if I do not purchase the book.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/15/2016, 5:05 pm

Kelejan wrote:I now have it, jimmy.  I will allow myself an hour to start reading it this afternoon.  I have three weeks before I return it, and perhaps I will buy the work for future
reference etc.

I have a copier so I can copy stuff that I want to refer to even if I do not purchase the book.

Good idea!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/16/2016, 6:52 am

Kelejan wrote:I now have it, jimmy.  I will allow myself an hour to start reading it this afternoon.  I have three weeks before I return it, and perhaps I will buy the work for future
reference etc.

Best read since the SFG book for me..good luck
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next