Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 Toplef10Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 I22gcj10Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 Toplef10Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 I22gcj10Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog

+8
boffer
Scorpio Rising
donnainzone5
Cajun Cappy
CapeCoddess
sanderson
Marc Iverson
Razed Bed
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 Empty Re: Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog

Post  sanderson 6/27/2015, 9:27 pm

Boffer, Is your A/C working again? I don't think you did a follow-up except to say the technician was coming out the same day you called.

Thank goodness it was just my clothes dry that fritzed and not the A/C. I can use the clothes line instead of laying on a bed of ice. Ken really liked the photo. The compost cage is two feet from the clothes line (told you guys the back yard is small). If I had started a new pile I wouldn't even be able to use the lines.

TC, This would be your really busy season if you were still in the business. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog - Page 2 Empty Re: Weather Too Hot: I must be a mad dog

Post  Marc Iverson 6/28/2015, 3:06 am

TCgardening wrote:Boffer, I love the dog picture! Sorry to hear about the A/C. I was a A/C tech for many years, funny how some people wouldn't open their windows for fear of thieves or allergies and they were in gated communities. Their houses were way hotter than the outdoor temps, never understood them.

The fewer real problems a person has, the more time and energy they have to exaggerate and obsess on the ones they do have and to invent imaginary ones.

I've talked to many people living in incredibly safe neighborhoods who feel besieged and to people who have no real worries who tell me they don't know how they survived something utterly commonplace or even trivial.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/28/2015, 12:32 pm

sanderson wrote:Boffer,  Is your A/C working again?  I don't think you did a follow-up except to say the technician was coming out the same day you called.
Short version:

The tech showed up as scheduled.  By the time he was done, it was nearly 90° in the house at 3pm., so it took a few hours to get it cooled down, but I got to sleep in a cool bed.  Whew!

TCgardening wrote:...I was a A/C tech for many years...

Oh good...I can be nerdie for minute! Very Happy

My concern was correct: at the moment there's a 3-4 day waiting list for home A/C service.  It's fairly common for their commercial accounts to get priority.  Especially those meat lockers containing $40-50,000 worth of beef.  But as I said above, I lucked out, the tech was here within hours, and there was a very good chance that I wouldn't have to sleep on the recliner in my man cave in my shop that stays cooler than my house without A/C.  My wife is out of town, or it really would have been doomsday, because she deals with the heat more poorly than I.

I was outside at 6:30 am troubleshooting the heat pump, and determined it was probably the compressor motor start cap.  It was an oddball size in my experience, 60/7.5 uf, which left out jury-rigging something with a spare  cap I had on hand for my well pump.  I doubted I would be able to find one locally in a hurry, so getting professional service seemed to be the expedient thing to do.  

I told the service manager what I suspected the problem was, and he agreed that it was an oddball size.  The tech swung by the parts house to pick one up on his way here.  They were out of that size!  However, they had available a 'universal' cap, something that I hadn't heard of.   The tech showed up, agreed with my diagnosis, but also found another issue in the thermostat controls that I wouldn't have been able to find, so I knew I made the right choice calling in the pros.

The direct replacement cap would have cost $30-40.  The universal cap was $165!   The parts house knows they've got ya by the short hairs, and show no mercy!

T/C, from a consumer's standpoint, over the years I've found that there is a dire need for qualified HVAC techs.  I think it would be a great career for someone who's not college bound.  Having worked in the field, do you think the same?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 6/29/2015, 10:56 am

HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical contractors are all three great fields for technically-inclined people.

I think the problem with numbers is that so many of these techies would rather become computer programmers.  They don't have to wash their hands as often.

I have recently discovered that there is a real need for landscapers that can build specialty gardens for homes, schools, churches/synagogues/temples, and in neighborhood parks and specialty co-ops.  With the population exploding here, it seems like every remaining piece of flat land now has some form of garden, and most were designed and built by someone other than the residents of the properties.

We have one little company making beautifully, artistic raised beds and large wooden enclosures.  Some of these gardens are obviously Square-foot inspired, maybe actual SFG.

I loved this one garden at a school where the beds were built up to look like math symbols--a plus sign, an X, an Asterisk, a zero, and one area that looked like it was enclosed in parentheses.

I bet this profession would be very low stress, fun, and profitable for folks that are still young enough and limber enough to do it.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/29/2015, 11:25 am

My huskies would have loved this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1zY1dp1_ig
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/29/2015, 2:43 pm

Cute video.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2