Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Toplef10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 I22gcj10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Toplef10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 I22gcj10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maybe a silly question but...
by aadams43 Today at 9:36 pm

» Seedling Identification
by OhioGardener Today at 6:39 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 4:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:13 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

+10
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
NanSFG
Goosegirl
AtlantaMarie
FamilyGardening
Ukeman
sanderson
Kelejan
kauairosina
14 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  sanderson 3/14/2015, 3:22 am

Ukeman and Momi, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here

I would use weed cloth or card board. You can also use perlite to supplement the vermiculite. When you replenish the beds with new compost (after this crop), you can mix it in.

So glad Rosina has company! Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21527

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  FamilyGardening 3/14/2015, 7:13 am

glad to see new members in the Hawaii group! glad you\'re here

cardboard is a great weed barrier to put down .....worms LOVE cardboard geek

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/14/2015, 8:09 am

Hi Ukeman and Momi!  Welcome from Atlanta, GA.

I'm glad you've decided to join us on the forum.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/14/2015, 7:56 pm

welcome from South Dakota Ukeman & Momi Usually at this time of year we are still covered in snow and ice, but with an early warming trend, snow is gone and most of my boxes are now thawed. I love your octobox and look forward to seeing it green.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Empty What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  kauairosina 4/10/2015, 9:40 pm

Susan and I planted 3 kinds of beets, Lutz, Early Wonder, and Chiogga as well as three kinds of carrots - Yaya, Baltimore and Napa.

We have been harvesting enough lettuce for salad bars for eight of us for dinner for several nights.  We try to estimate whether to buy at the market or use our garden produce.  We  have had lots and lots of kale and unfortunately some of it has some kind of nasty stuff on the back of the leaves that we have to rinse off.  Mostly the closely planted White Russian. The Red Russian and curly kale doesn't seem to be as affected.  We expect lots more problems as it gets warmer. 

I hope I managed to get this into the Hawaii puka.  Getting dumber every day about remembering stuff.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 4/30/2015, 3:08 pm

My store-bought yellow cherry tomato plant has stopped enlarging the tomatoes and one is almost ripe.  Instead of having a real cherry tomato, the tomatoes are about 2" in diameter.  Wish the "volunteer" tomato plants were in my yard again.  They were a max of 1/2" in diameter.  Just right for salads and my bird.

My purchased strawberry plant is almost dead - brown leaves beginning at the edges and moving in.  The other smaller strawberry plants have something attacking them - white spots on leaves.  I need to look at the book "What's wrong with my plant?" to find out what to do.  Guess my main problem is learning how to water them.

As for planted seeds,  The red cherry tomatoes are now about 3" tall.  After a second planting (first planting probably too deep) the broccoli, watermelon, cucumber, spinach, and manoa lettuce are up.  No sign of the carrots, red leaf lettuce, or green onions yet.

Have been wanting to display a picture of my garden, but ... things happen.
NanSFG
NanSFG

Female Posts : 71

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Empty hawaii group

Post  kauairosina 5/1/2015, 1:44 am

In response to problems with strawberries:  You do have to be sure to plant them high, not deep.  They don't like dirt right up close.  I'm having success (so far) with bone meal and straw under the lovelies to keep the critters that nibble at them at bay.  We'll see how that all goes as the season gets warmer.

We have been harvesting gorgeous cauliflower  and broccoli.  Lots of lettuce and kale also.  We had so much pak choy that it went to flower and I figure maybe the bees will enjoy the flowers.

Also harvesting lovely cabbage for the sauerkraut for which it was intended. How satisfying!  And the kraut is wonderful.  We are just learning all this.

Glad to have other Hawaii folks on this thread. Hope there will be more and, of course we love comments from out friends around the world.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 5/1/2015, 2:50 am

Thank you for the advice on the strawberries.  I'll if the soil is too high.
NanSFG
NanSFG

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Empty Tomato volunteers found

Post  NanSFG 5/2/2015, 1:55 pm

I mentioned that I wanted to find the "volunteer" tomato plant that used to be in my yard.  Well, yesterday I visited a friend's garden.  Guess what I saw - the "volunteer" tomato plant.  I brought home a few ripe tomatoes.  Now to learn how to save the seeds.  Learning like housework is never done.
NanSFG
NanSFG

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/3/2015, 9:44 am

Cauliflower? Broccoli? Tomatoes growing in Hawaii? Please try to post photos. We would love to see your gardens. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Empty hawaii group

Post  kauairosina 5/3/2015, 1:29 pm

Dog gone it all.  Even my akamai guru (akamai means "smart" in Hawaii) was unsuccessful trying to post a picture.  However, I have been diligently taking pictures and one of thee days....
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/8/2015, 9:59 pm

Rosina sends me the photos to post.

From Kauairosina's Garden.   6-8-15

This tomato plant is from last year.  I was planning to remove it but it has started producing lovely yellow tomatoes that go for $5 a pound in our stores.  Will send close up of leaf. What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Tomato12
Close up of leaf from that plant.  Any idea of what problem is, besides old age? What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Tomato13
Some of the tomatoes from that plant.  I think they are better this year than last.  I today have added more compost and straw in gratitude for its production. What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Tomato14
A basket of lettuce.  About 4 or 5 or 6 kinds.  We are saving a lot of money and eating more salads with such production. What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Lettuc10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/8/2015, 11:04 pm

Lovely looking produce, Rosina.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/9/2015, 2:19 am

More photos from Rosina

Our litchi tree in the middle of our square foot garden: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Litchi10
Litchi fruit.  A hard shell over a grape like very sweet fruit: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Litchi11
Can't see the grids.  The vegetation totally overwhelms them: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Kale_610
We have been making great sauerkraut with our cabbages.  Seeds were called Storage Cabbage: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Storag10
We have too many coconuts to keep up with the harvest and resort to purchasing the coconut water in cans.  Go Figure. What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Coconu10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 6/9/2015, 3:00 pm

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 3170584802 What a beautiful garden!  What else grows in the SFG that has the lichi tree?  For the first time I've seen many lichi in the grocery stores on Oahu. 

Sorry to see your tomato plant like that.  I had to pull mine up because it was so bad.
NanSFG
NanSFG

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/9/2015, 3:59 pm

Wow your stuff sure looks great. Interesting that you can grow cole crops so well in a tropical climate.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Empty Planting in Hawaii

Post  kauairosina 7/31/2015, 12:53 pm

I think we have a break through!  I told Collin (grandson) I was going to look for lettuce starts at Home Depot and the local nursery because we have had two total failures with our seed start flats.  One the critters got, munched them down in their prime, and one too much sun combined with my over dose of fish and kelp.

He looks at the uncut  mesclun in the earth box and says "here are our starts!"...  Huzzay!  He and I pulled weeds and spent stuff out from our 4 x 8 sfg next to some banana trees where it is cooler than other sites, he fluffed up the Mels Mix and added some compost and last evening I planted over a hundred of those little babies.  Wish us luck!  I am so stoked!  We pay two dollars for a bag of three heads at the sunshine market and use lots of lettuce so I'm hoping this works.

Our old lady chicken, Gracie, whipped out a plant and I shooed her away and she stayed away.  Smart girl.  Pictures coming soon.

We are planning to create a nursery with shade cloth and/or a small greenhouse but haven't gotten to that yet in our many projects around here.

In case not everyone is familiar with mesclun, it is a mixture of lettuce and other seeds spread lightly over an area and cut down while very small.  Commands big prices in some venues.  Mesclun farmers have special equipment to mow it down.  I just use scissors.   You gotta have enough time to do it.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/31/2015, 1:22 pm

Three heads of lettuce for two dollars? Wow, that's a great price. Somebody must be growing lettuce very successfully in Hawaii to keep the prices that low.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 2 Empty What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  kauairosina 7/31/2015, 2:53 pm

Marc -  You're kidding me right?
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 7/31/2015, 2:54 pm

The lettuce is from the Sunshine market, not the grocery store.  And yes, it is mostly pretty easy to grow lettuce here.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/31/2015, 2:58 pm

I don't understand what the kidding might be about; you've lost me there. I don't know what a sunshine store is supposed to be either. It sounds like it might be a cute personal term for the garden, but when you mention spending dollars per head, it doesn't sound like that anymore.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 7/31/2015, 3:06 pm

My apologies.  Sunshine markets are our farmer's markets.  Take place most days.  Fresh local produce.  Good prices.

No price as good as your own home grown but I purposefully decline to calculate how much we spend on amendments, etc.  I figure it is worth every penny.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/31/2015, 3:30 pm

Agreed. So you have a farmers market equivalent every day ... wow that is really nice. That kind of volume probably helps keep the prices so low.

Out here when we are exceptionally lucky, we have brief windows of time in the spring when lettuce is priced that low, say 80 cents a head. But it's only at one local store, and usually lasts only a few weeks, if that. But all the rest of our food markets are chain grocery stores that generally charge $1.50 per head and up to about $2.50/head as we move further from spring.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 7/31/2015, 4:24 pm

Oh yes, the mega conglomerates that are deciding what we will eat and how much we will pay.  I forgive Costco.  Somehow that chain seems a little more fair.  

And, of course, Hawaii prices are pretty outrageous and getting more so, but we would be in deep kim chee if dat boat don't come every week.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/31/2015, 4:32 pm

I just paid $3.69 on sale for 3 organic romaine hearts at the grocery store the other day. It's the first time I've had to buy lettuce in a couple months and hopefully the last for a while as I'm planting like crazy.

$2 for 3 heads sound heavenly. Are they organic?
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next