Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? Empty What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  camprn 10/10/2014, 9:58 am

brainchasm wrote:Well, it started like this...
What are you eating from your garden today? 10676317_10204914677337064_3693668653894279012_n

What are you eating from your garden today? 10410175_10204928427400807_3748769580335345410_n

(Homegrown, homemade sweet and spicy pepper jam.  My first foray into canning/preserving!  Four jars have already been given away as gifts and/or misappropriated.  I'm eating what didn't fit into jars.  Texture is perfect, flavor is indescribably good. Smile )
Awesome!! What kind of chilis are the red ones?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What are you eating from your garden today? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  johnp 10/10/2014, 11:56 am

Thanks again llama momma for a great recipe and peace keeper. We have run out of space to store frozen tomatoes, frozen sauce, canned tomatoes, canned sauce and still more tomatoes. I found several pounds hiding underneath a fallen over tomato the other day, brought them in to an icy stare from my DW. I thought we were ALL done with tomatoes she said. I took three lbs. and made a batch and asked her to try some. She does not like tomato or V8 juice but she tried it and really liked it. My tomatoes have been forgiven. Very Happy Very Happy
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  brainchasm 10/10/2014, 1:44 pm

camprn wrote:Awesome!! What kind of chilis are the red ones?
Hungarian Blacks, basically an heirloom jalapeno or sorts. Smile

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/10/2014, 1:49 pm

brainchasm wrote:
camprn wrote:Awesome!! What kind of chilis are the red ones?
Hungarian Blacks, basically an heirloom jalapeno or sorts. Smile
Nice, Thanks for the info!

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

What are you eating from your garden today? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 10/10/2014, 3:21 pm

Didn't eat these yet, but I picked them last night when I was pruning my tomato forest (don't ask)...

What are you eating from your garden today? 15306412578_efb64059d5_b

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 10/10/2014, 3:31 pm

When the rain stops, I am going to pick some baby bok choy to steam and make a garlic soy sauce to pour over them.  I love that stuff fresh from the garden.

I will try to post a pic later.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/10/2014, 7:21 pm

BC is our Pepper King!   praise  And you live in a hot, arid environment!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 10/11/2014, 12:07 pm

Made a delicious soup (Creamy Chicken, Tomato and Vegetable Soup; recipe available on eatingrules.com) last night using leeks, carrots and tomatoes from my garden.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/11/2014, 12:10 pm

Nice Herblover! oh,
I can hardly wait for my leeks!

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/11/2014, 9:44 pm

Very first taste of a Dilly Beans rock on DELICIOUS!

Tonight our family enjoyed munching down  hungry green beans just as good as a pickled cucumber...who knew happy hi

Sad our green beans are finished for the year....as I only pickled 1 pint of them to try.....*sigh*.....hubby wants some for the foot ball games drooling ....and....wants me.... to make them from store bought green beans..... What a Face eeeek!.....lesson learned.... What are you eating from your garden today? 1280598131

thanks to all who introduced us to Dilly Beans carrot  

happy harvesting
rose....who has an after thought study .....can I make them from some of our frozen beans from the gardens?.....they were blanched first and then frozen
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/11/2014, 10:21 pm

I've thrown everything from papaya and mangoes to daikon and cauliflower into the pickling brine left over from pickle jars and various vinegar mixes, and it always seemed to work fine. With my snap beans, the brine isn't seeming to penetrate the pods very much at all, even though I pick them youngish and tender. I don't blanche them, just stick them in raw. But haphazard isn't working as well as usual. Any recommendations on how to pickle snap beans better?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/12/2014, 7:11 am

Marc Iverson wrote:I've thrown everything from papaya and mangoes to daikon and cauliflower into the pickling brine left over from pickle jars and various vinegar mixes, and it always seemed to work fine. With my snap beans, the brine isn't seeming to penetrate the pods very much at all, even though I pick them youngish and tender.  I don't blanche them, just stick them in raw.  But haphazard isn't working as well as usual.  Any recommendations on how to pickle snap beans better?
What recipe and processing are you using for pickled beans?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/12/2014, 7:47 am

Those soups sound so good, Herblover!

I pulled a couple pounds of tomatoes yesterday, trying to decide if its going into roasted tomato soup, pizza sauce, or V8.  Or use the harvested broccoli from yesterday and roast it with german red garlic, onions, and carrots. Hmm.
hungry

Family Gardening -  so you love your Dilly Beans?  I too have dilly beans which I've never tasted before.  The canning recipe made 4 quarts.  Keep looking at the gallon of stuff in my pantry and now I hope we love it as much as you!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/12/2014, 8:07 am

llama momma wrote:Those soups sound so good, Herblover!

I pulled a couple pounds of tomatoes yesterday, trying to decide if its going into roasted tomato soup, pizza sauce, or V8.  Or use the harvested broccoli from yesterday and roast it with german red garlic, onions, and carrots. Hmm.
hungry

Family Gardening -  so you love your Dilly Beans?  I too have dilly beans which I've never tasted before.  The canning recipe made 4 quarts.  Keep looking at the gallon of stuff in my pantry and now I hope we love it as much as you!

I hope you do too!......our son loves them so much we caught him eating right out of the pint jar in our bed while watching his cartoons Razz ....his father said *why are you not eating those on a plate?* our son thought....why dirty a dish LOL

happy harvesting
rose.....LLM your tomatoes sound lovely roasted with broccoli, red garlic, onions and carrots sound yummy!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/12/2014, 8:15 am

Lol, I sure like your son's thinking! Anyone who saves me from washing another dish can eat all the Dilly Beans in bed.  Wink
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/13/2014, 11:17 pm

Lettuce and tomato salad with a red banana pepper and a chopped up red giant mustard leaf. On the side, butternut squash soup with a squash from the school garden I volunteer at. Also, a cream cheese sandwich, but that doesn't count!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/14/2014, 12:24 am

Hot Beef Veggie soup that was pressure canned over the summer straight from the gardens hungry

Happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/19/2014, 2:56 am

I didn't personally eat anything, but I sent my neighbor home with a gallon Ziplock: 2 small but sweet Silver Queen, KY Wonder, tarragon, 2 small eggplants, red Russian kale and parsley. She was so happy to have "organic" produce! Made me feel kind of like a real gardener.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/19/2014, 8:57 am

sanderson wrote:I didn't personally eat anything, but I sent my neighbor home with a gallon Ziplock:  2 small but sweet Silver Queen, KY Wonder, tarragon, 2 small eggplants, red Russian kale and parsley.  She was so happy to have "organic" produce!  Made me feel kind of like a real gardener.

Wait, what is the purpose of a garden if you don't eat anything.  Sometimes I do plant a few things that my friends/coworkers/family like that I don't just for the pleasure of sharing my bounty.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/19/2014, 9:20 am

Poblanos, tomatoes, chard.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/19/2014, 1:35 pm

sanderson wrote:I didn't personally eat anything, but I sent my neighbor home with a gallon Ziplock.

That's a nice thing to do.

The only thing I had so much of I couldn't eat it all was broccoli raab, but my neighbors didn't want to try it. They're only used to eating broccoli with regular big heads and the leaves themselves weren't attractive to them, I guess. Like most people.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/19/2014, 2:08 pm

yolos wrote:
sanderson wrote:I didn't personally eat anything, but I sent my neighbor home with a gallon Ziplock:  2 small but sweet Silver Queen, KY Wonder, tarragon, 2 small eggplants, red Russian kale and parsley.  She was so happy to have "organic" produce!  Made me feel kind of like a real gardener.

Wait, what is the purpose of a garden if you don't eat anything.  Sometimes I do plant a few things that my friends/coworkers/family like that I don't just for the pleasure of sharing my bounty.
We've been working on the rental and too pooped to cook.  I'm just letting the garden survive on it's own until the end of the month.  I felt so good to share with this neighbor.  She even ate a raw green bean while we were standing there.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/19/2014, 3:46 pm

Filled the weekly lettuce box today with 5 different lettuces, spinach, 2 types of arugla, Tendergreen mustard, baby collard & Dino kale, carrot w/ greens, a Marketmore cuke, parsley, a SuperSonic tomato, a Red Bulls Horn pepper, chives... thinking ... I think that's it.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 10/19/2014, 4:29 pm

We ate the last of our fresh tomatoes two  days ago and we made the last cucumber salad for lunch and diner this morning. We put all the serrano's in the de-hydrator this morning, I roasted the last of the poblanos and pimento's for freezing and we froze the last of the other peppers. All we have left are lettuce, spinach, kale, chard, radishes and carrots.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 10/19/2014, 4:38 pm

johnp wrote:We ate the last of our fresh tomatoes two  days ago and we made the last cucumber salad for lunch and diner this morning. We put all the serrano's in the de-hydrator this morning, I roasted the last of the poblanos and pimento's for freezing and we froze the last of the other peppers. All we have left are lettuce, spinach, kale, chard, radishes and carrots.

How do you dehydrate peppers?  Whole or cut up?  I have some jalapenos and hot wax left and a dehydrator so was wondering how best to dry them
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next