Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Toplef10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 I22gcj10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Toplef10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 I22gcj10What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

+10
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
NanSFG
Goosegirl
AtlantaMarie
FamilyGardening
Ukeman
sanderson
Kelejan
kauairosina
14 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Empty Re: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/6/2016, 6:24 pm

Rosina, what is the basil doing? Dying? Maybe you can put it in a different location and control the amount of water it receives to help, if it is a fungus?

Nan, sometimes neglect is the best care a garden can get! LOL! What a great homecoming present!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Empty What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  kauairosina 1/6/2016, 8:08 pm

Scorpio - the basil gets a certain kind of fungal stuff on it.  We have looked it up. It has a name which I foget.  It seems to have started somewhere in the South.  We don't even find it at our farmer's markets anymore.  Lemon basil and Thai basil do just fine but the Genovese and other Italian basils do not survive well.   We keep on trying.  Different places, different soils, etc.   Too bad, because, being Sicilian ancestry, it is truly one of my favorite fresh herbs.   Fortunately, Costco sells some pesto from California so we are not totally without that wonderful flavor.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Empty Re: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/6/2016, 8:55 pm

Bummer! I love Genovese basil ,and, is it Spicy Globe? Keep trying! Thank goodness for Costco! Lol
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/7/2016, 8:34 am

Kauairosina - maybe start some inside in a planter? That's where I've got all of my herbs right now.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Empty What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting?

Post  kauairosina 1/7/2016, 1:20 pm

I'll make a point to try that.  Mahalos,
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/11/2016, 1:17 am

NanSFG wrote:Shall put my two cents in about my SFG.  I had planted three types of lettuce seedlings and one type of beet, then left on vacation for 2 weeks.  When I returned the SFG was filled with produce and the "volunteer" tomato plant grew 3' and has green tomatoes.

Have to give away some lettuce as there is too much for us to eat.  This is the 3rd planting in that bed, and the one that was most productive.  I wonder if my going away had something to do with it being so productive.

Perhaps you had talked to your plants too much and they appreciated having a rest?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 1/12/2016, 12:59 am

Thanks for bringing a smile and laughter to my day. What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 3170584802
NanSFG
NanSFG

Female Posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/16/2016, 2:44 am

Here are photos of Rosina's seedling operation.  I'm a few days late posting them for her.  Embarassed

Initial sowing of seeds in earthbox. What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 1-12-110

This is next step - We call it stepping up (to four inch pots) What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 1-12-111

Mature lettuce What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 1-12-112

A view of a couple of the beds.  Notice the incredible proliferation of
weeds all around.  Not neat. What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 1-12-113

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/16/2016, 11:37 am

Thanks sanderson/rosina.  It seems the soil is quite fertile there on your island.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 1/16/2016, 1:51 pm

That is not our native soil.  The starts and step ups are in Fox Farm Ocean Potting soil, expensive but really good. (The pot growers use it.). The square foot beds are Mel's Mix, a blend of our compost and the other stuff that goes in Mel's Mix.  From the store, of course.

Our native soil gets pretty depleted with our rains and lots and lots and lots and lots of weeds grow in it.  Bananas do well also.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 1/16/2016, 2:03 pm

kauairosina wrote:That is not our native soil.  The starts and step ups are in Fox Farm Ocean Potting soil, expensive but really good. (The pot growers use it.).

Where did you buy that potting soil?  I have not seen it on Oahu.  I have not been successful with starting seedlings and that sounds like something I should try.

Sill harvesting my leggy lettuce.  Tomatoes are still green.
NanSFG
NanSFG

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 1/16/2016, 2:43 pm

We buy ours at ACE hardware stores. Hope you can find it
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/25/2016, 2:11 pm

Photo from Rosina:
Seed flat 2 weeks later: What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Seed_f10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/25/2016, 6:43 pm

Nice! Spring........
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 6/23/2016, 3:36 pm

Finally have some time to post pictures of my gardens.  The large growing plants are in containers - now to learn what size pots are best.
The first picture is of my 1st SFG when it was full of plants.  The second picture is of my 1st table top garden.  It has strawberry spinach (needs to go elsewhere), red and yellow strawberry plants and violas. The last picture is of my pineapple plants - the goal is to harvest one a month.What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Sfg111
What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Table_10
What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Row_of10

What are Hawaii folks planting and harvesting? - Page 4 Sfg110
NanSFG
NanSFG

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 6/23/2016, 4:26 pm

Abundance is overtaking us.  Way too many Emirite and Fortex beans, lots of kale, just finished broccoli and cauliflower (cauliflower was weird, I should have posted a picture but gone now, kind of made many tiny heads on stalk).   We have also harvested turnips, carrots and beets.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 6/23/2016, 4:27 pm

and lettuce up the kazoo.  Some lovely very large cherry tomatoes (about 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/23/2016, 4:49 pm

NanSFG wrote:

I love that these pineapple plants are different colors.  Why is that...are they different varieties?  

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 6/23/2016, 5:21 pm

and I just picked some strawberries and asparagus!!

You all might remember the asparagus gal did not want to ship to Hawaii because her information said it wouldn't grow here.  We have asparagus farms here!!  Those zone maps are not always correct.

My strawberries are loving the very rainy weather we are getting.  I found that putting straw around them helps with minimizing the damage from those little beatle type kind of thingees. I wonder if that is why they are called "straw"berries?
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/23/2016, 6:46 pm

kauairosina wrote:
My strawberries are loving the very rainy weather we are getting.  I found that putting straw around them helps with minimizing the damage from those little beatle type kind of thingees. I wonder if that is why they are called "straw"berries?

I wonder! Lol
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 6/24/2016, 2:14 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
NanSFG wrote:

I love that these pineapple plants are different colors.  Why is that...are they different varieties?  

CC
I have two varieties.  One is "Maui Gold" and the other is "Royal Hawaiian".  I do not remember which is which.  Both are sweet pineapples.
NanSFG
NanSFG

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/25/2016, 2:57 am

Rosina and Nan, Missed you guys! Love those pineapple plants! Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/15/2016, 9:44 pm

Hello Rosina:  Hope all is well with you.  How did your strawberries do this year?

When I get time I am going to clear out my freezer and sort out all the bags of strawberries to weigh them to see how much I managed to preserve for those dark days of winter when  strawberries are in short supply.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 1/2/2017, 3:48 pm

Hey Uke!  How is your Anahola garden growing?  I come your way every six weeks to see my acupuncturist in Kilauea so could stop by on one of my trips.  

Sanderson suggested I post my reply to what we are eating from our garden in the Hawaii post so here goes:

Lots and lots of lettuce all rainy season long.   We have figured out what it takes from seed to transplants to harvest and hope to apply that kind of formula to our other veggies.  Not as simple, we are finding.

We are getting a lovely amount of broccoli, enough for dinner for 16 (8 for dinner, 8 for lunches). We usually have an abundance of greens like kales and mizuna and Italian dandelion.  Our okra harvest is finished as is our measly tomato harvest.   We harvested turnips and carrots and grilled them on the barbee. 

Our garden team meets most weekday mornings at 7:30 and it really helps to have the consistency.  I am the least able but get to kibitz and love telling others what to do, which they take with admirable grace.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/2/2017, 4:16 pm

Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next