Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Toplef10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 I22gcj10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Toplef10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 I22gcj10Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

+35
ispinwool
suseine
OhioGardener
BlackjackWidow
Roseinarosecity
brianj555
Banned Member
MrBooker
ralitaco
donnainzone5
reynajrainwater
yolos
llama momma
Zmoore
Ginger Blue
bigdogrock
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
hammock gal
countrynaturals
AtlantaMarie
trolleydriver
Scorpio Rising
quiltbea
FeedMeSeeMore
jrfrommd
brainchasm
giant_trainer
plantoid
camprn
rabbithutch
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
sanderson
grownsunshine
39 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Empty Re: Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/21/2016, 9:20 pm

Marie, they are fairly common around here in deep summer, really dramatic and huge!

https://www.google.com/search?q=luna+moth&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=Dj3U3schn9eDFM%3A

Gorgeous!  I love moths and butterflies!  And after reading "Bringing Nature Home" Tallamy; I know I am going to be planting more native species to encourage the natural balance of things to  bring back into balance the predators, plants that I want, pests, which it turns out are a huge part of the larger food chain, and which is why you need to plant enough to have some throw away.  Really good read.    study

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 2/21/2016, 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo, again....)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Empty Re: Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/22/2016, 8:32 am

Really? I'm so jealous.... That's the only one I've ever seen. And your description is spot-on!

I'll have to keep an eye out for that book. Thanks!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/22/2016, 10:40 pm

Got it on loan from library, inter library loan thing. Skimmed it for the most part, I know why kudzu is bad, but there were really some interesting "non-native species" that Inthought were native! Very disconcerting. Just because something has been here for a very long while does not make it native.

That was a new and different concept to me. And the description of how the native bugs, birds, mammals, up the food chain all depend on native plants is amazing.

Great ecological read. And back to the basics. Excellent!

"Bringing Nature Home" by Douglas W. Tallamy

cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/23/2016, 1:37 am

SR, Post your new book under Winter Reading?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/12/2016, 11:57 pm

Praying mantis in my milkweed last year. They can be good guys in some gardens, but they eat the caterpillars and eggs of the butterflies, so I had Hubby relocate this one to the far edge of the property.(Image is not upside down -- the mantis was.)Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Mantis13

Last edited by countrynaturals on 4/13/2016, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Duplicate images)
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 4/13/2016, 9:09 am

Not so strange, but a fairly constant companion in my yard. Here he is in the bush that's in front of the faucet at the back of the house. He startled me as I went to turn on the faucet, but I guess I didn't startle him too badly, cause he stayed put while I went to get the camera. He'd found a good spot for a sunbath. He was about 2 1/2 feet off the ground, so he's a good climber!

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Sssnak10
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/13/2016, 10:08 am

Oh MAN! I really wish I had snakes in my garden.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 4/13/2016, 11:38 am

camprn wrote:Oh MAN! I really wish I had snakes in my garden.

Are you sure you don't? I don't actually see them very often, I just hear a rustling and figure that's them wriggling away. Or sometimes I find a snakeskin in the flower bed.
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/13/2016, 2:00 pm

Mrs TD would freak out if she saw a snake in the garden.    affraid
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/13/2016, 2:37 pm

hammock gal wrote:
camprn wrote:Oh MAN! I really wish I had snakes in my garden.

Are you sure you don't? I don't actually see them very often, I just hear a rustling and figure that's them wriggling away. Or sometimes I find a snakeskin in the flower bed.
Yes, quite sure.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/21/2016, 10:07 pm

My latest visitor is a volunteer cuke from a compost pile I left in a container. We needed the compost for the new garden, so she had to be relocated.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Cuke-v10
The reason I called her "she" is because she came with 2 foster baby ladybug larvae.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Ladybu10
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Ladybu11
Pretty kewl, huh?  Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/21/2016, 10:13 pm

Very very kewl! Loves my benies!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/22/2016, 2:41 am

Kewl photos.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/25/2016, 12:50 pm

Strange and wonderful visitor/resident: Baby firefly (aka larva) in the Summercicle radish square!
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Firefl10
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/25/2016, 8:57 pm

Firefly, as in "catch fireflies in the evening?" Neat. First time I saw them was 2 summers ago in Missouri.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/25/2016, 10:30 pm

sanderson wrote:Firefly, as in "catch fireflies in the evening?"  Neat.  First time I saw them was 2 summers ago in Missouri.
Yup. As youngins they crawl around looking for, among other things, slugs and snails to eat. So not only do I get to enjoy them as flashy adults this summer, I also get natural pest control.  Smile
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/26/2016, 10:17 am

too rainy here lately for pics...but I saw the first baby praying mantis of the year in my sugar ann peas.  There were a couple sacs overwintering on the cattle panel trellis.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/10/2016, 7:26 pm

This one is strange, but might be so wonderful. While moving dirt from one container to another, I found this chrysalis.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Chrys-10
I brought it inside to wait for something to emerge, but it's probably a bad guy -- some sort of hummingbird moth (hawk moth). They're fascinating to see, but their larvae are some kind of tomato hornworms.  affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/10/2016, 7:29 pm

California Sister! It's one of my favorite butterflies, but rarely seen in our yard, and when they do stop by, they're gone in a flash. This one just happened to land on one of my cukes while I had the camera in my hand. Not a very good pic, but still the best I've ever gotten.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Califo10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/12/2016, 4:39 pm

California Hairstreak. Last year we had about a hundred of these tiny butterflies in our ligustrum bush when it bloomed. It's just starting to blossom now, so I'll be watching for more of these babies.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Ca-hai10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/12/2016, 10:27 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Strange and wonderful visitor/resident: Baby firefly (aka larva) in the Summercicle radish square!
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Firefl10

So very, corrugated! We have lightning bugs here. My cousins growing up in other parts of the country were always so fascinated! They are über kewl.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/12/2016, 10:30 pm

countrynaturals wrote:This one is strange, but might be so wonderful. While moving dirt from one container to another, I found this chrysalis.
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Chrys-10
I brought it inside to wait for something to emerge, but it's probably a bad guy -- some sort of hummingbird moth (hawk moth). They're fascinating to see, but their larvae are some kind of tomato hornworms.  affraid

Beautiful. Sometimes there is enough to share, but those tomato hornworms are voracious! And hard to see at first...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/12/2016, 11:33 pm

Wonderful - though not so strange (except perhaps the part where we have stern conversations...)
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Img_5210

I think this batch of baby bird food is a junebug, 2 worms, and maybe a caterpillar. The nest is up under the deck, adjacent to the garden. That means the parents get nervous/cross when they want to go to the nest but I'm 'in the way.' "Tut-tut-tut!" they say and say something back like "I'm not in the way! You can fly!" and "I don't eat robins!" or "I already know your nest is there. Just get in there already!"
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/13/2016, 3:45 pm

I have a pair of mocking birds building a nest in the climbing rose.  They picked up 2 remnants of trellis netting for the nest!  This is the long one.  Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Bird_m10
Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Bird_m11
I need to dead head the April roses before she lays her eggs.  They are into the fluffy lining stage of the nest building.

The nest is to the right of all these beds with trellises/frames.  The good thing is they eat tomato worms.  Talk about a bed and breakfast. Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please! - Page 2 Table_25

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/13/2016, 4:42 pm

cheers  Sanderson. Do you have some yarn scraps you could put out to help with their nest building?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next