Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
squash/zucchini blossoms Toplef10squash/zucchini blossoms 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

squash/zucchini blossoms I22gcj10squash/zucchini blossoms 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
squash/zucchini blossoms Toplef10squash/zucchini blossoms 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

squash/zucchini blossoms I22gcj10squash/zucchini blossoms 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

squash/zucchini blossoms

+3
camprn
Marc Iverson
lilperu
7 posters

Go down

squash/zucchini blossoms Empty squash/zucchini blossoms

Post  lilperu 5/3/2014, 4:13 pm

Do you have to pick/eat the blossoms the day they bloom? I had one this morning and it's withered now. Does that just mean I didn't water enough or do they only last one day? Any tips on preparing them? I've got more on the way Smile
I've had them fried with cheese inside, but never made them myself. Yum.
lilperu
lilperu

Back to top Go down

squash/zucchini blossoms Empty Re: squash/zucchini blossoms

Post  Marc Iverson 5/3/2014, 6:23 pm

Some cooking shows I've seen suggest people that want to preserve things that don't preserve easily should blanch them before throwing them in the fridge/freezer.

Still, I think the problem is with the inherent tender fragility of the blossom.

Last year I did the same thing as you did and got the same result. My squash and its flowers were well-watered. They're just delicate. Maybe that's why, though squash is extremely commonly grown and has very prolific flowers with great eye-appeal on the plate that should lead to premium pricing, you still hardly ever get served it anywhere.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/4/2014, 7:57 am

The blossoms must be picked that day for preparation for the table.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4deFApRCQRw

More details on when to pick .
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/harvesting-squash-flowers.htm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

squash/zucchini blossoms WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

squash/zucchini blossoms Empty males before females?

Post  lilperu 5/5/2014, 11:31 am

So, if I pick the male flowers when they bloom for cooking, will it inhibit pollination of future female flowers? I would imagine that it doesn't matter if I pick males before the females open, because they can't be pollinated when they're closed, but I am a brand new gardener so I'd rather make sure. I would also imagine that there's a reason you get males before females. To attract bees??
lilperu
lilperu

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/5/2014, 5:12 pm

The males will appear more than once, and do nothing when there's no open females to pollinate, so you might as well eat them.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/6/2014, 8:52 pm

lilperu wrote:So, if I pick the male flowers when they bloom for cooking, will it inhibit pollination of future female flowers? I would imagine that it doesn't matter if I pick males before the females open, because they can't be pollinated when they're closed, but I am a brand new gardener so I'd rather make sure. I would also imagine that there's a reason you get males before females. To attract bees??

Since squash blossoms only last one day - or actually part of a day in warm weather, You won't really need the males from now for pollination of future female blossoms.

However, bees are creatures of habit - and the male blossoms richly reward them with lots of pollen, which is used to feed the brood. Once they get into the habit, they'll keep coming when the females bloom, even though the females don't give much reward. It may well be that the bees can't tell the difference, which is good, because then they'll go from male to female - which is exactly what you want.

The little squash bees take the first shift - when they are present - they are extremely sensitive to pesticide use in the area. They work from first light until a little after sunup. Then the bumble bees take over for the second shift.

I rarely see honey bees work squash in home gardens, as there are usually lots of more rewarding blossoms. They will do a great job in pollinating fields, where there is nothing but squash blossoms for them to work. This is why most squash growers place hives in the fields for pollination.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

squash/zucchini blossoms Empty when to pick which?

Post  lilperu 5/16/2014, 6:15 pm

So, now I've got some zucchini and female flowers. Can/should I pick them? Does female flower blooming indicate that I should pick the fruit itself as well?
lilperu
lilperu

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/17/2014, 1:05 am

lilperu wrote:So, now I've got some zucchini and female flowers. Can/should I pick them? Does female flower blooming indicate that I should pick the fruit itself as well?

If you have both male and female blossoms, it's time to start saving the male blossoms, because they are needed for pollination. You should have bees all over these blossoms by now. If not, hand pollinate.

Pick the fruit when it's at the appropriate stage.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/17/2014, 9:35 am

Pollinator wrote:
lilperu wrote:So, now I've got some zucchini and female flowers. Can/should I pick them? Does female flower blooming indicate that I should pick the fruit itself as well?

If you have both male and female blossoms, it's time to start saving the male blossoms, because they are needed for pollination. You should have bees all over these blossoms by now. If not, hand pollinate.

Pick the fruit when it's at the appropriate stage.

Pollinator - Do you mean you can save the male flowers to help pollinate the female flowers??  I went to the gardensouth website and didn't see anything about saving male flowers.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/17/2014, 12:35 pm

yolos wrote:
Pollinator - Do you mean you can save the male flowers to help pollinate the female flowers??  I went to the gardensouth website and didn't see anything about saving male flowers.

What I meant is that you don't want to pick and eat all the male blossoms, once the females start, because then they are needed by the bees, as the source of pollen for pollinating the female flowers.

If you should ever have a situation where you only have female flowers - yes it does occasionally happen - you might "borrow" a few male blossoms from a gardening friend for hand pollination. It can be any summer squash, not necessarily zuchinni, unless you plan on saving seed.

You can't really save male blossoms for more than a day or two. Pollen can be gathered and saved under refrigeration for several weeks, but that's a specialized technique.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 5/17/2014, 12:43 pm

Timely topic, thanks!

My zucchini is just forming flowers right now (though the plant is really rather small), and of course we're hitting the 100s.

This should be fun.  Evil or Very Mad

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/17/2014, 1:04 pm

brainchasm wrote:Timely topic, thanks!

My zucchini is just forming flowers right now (though the plant is really rather small), and of course we're hitting the 100s.

When I open a honey bee hive at 100 degrees, they look up at me and say, "Whew! It's hot!"

Hard to get them to do anything but carry water in that weather. You could work the bees naked with no danger, because they are so lazy.

I hope you have some squash bees, that will work before dawn to pollinate the squash blossoms.

Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 5/17/2014, 1:07 pm

Pollinator wrote:
brainchasm wrote:Timely topic, thanks!

When I open a honey bee hive at 100 degrees, they look up at me and say, "Whew! It's hot!"

Hard to get them to do anything but carry water in that weather. You could work the bees naked with no danger, because they are so lazy.

I hope you have some squash bees, that will work before dawn to pollinate the squash blossoms.

I haven't seen ANY bees this year.  Not honey, not mason, not bumble.  Nothing.  I think the only pollination I'm getting is wind and happenstance.  My garden was rife with busy buzzing bodies this time last year.  It's depressing.

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/17/2014, 1:12 pm

brainchasm wrote:
I haven't seen ANY bees this year.  Not honey, not mason, not bumble.  Nothing.  I think the only pollination I'm getting is wind and happenstance.  My garden was rife with busy buzzing bodies this time last year.  It's depressing.

Wind can do it for corn (though I also help with mine, for insurance), but won't help with other garden veggies. Most garden crops have heavy, sticky pollen that cannot become airborne.

You may have to learn hand pollination techniques.

I have quit the "wait and see" plan. If I don't see bees on those first blossoms, I go ahead and hand pollinate, to insure that I don't lose a couple vital weeks of production.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  jrfrommd 7/2/2014, 5:48 pm

Now I'll admit I'm a little biased because Giada is easy on the eyes.....BUT......this aint healthy...but it sure is GOOD!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fried-cheese-stuffed-zucchini-blossoms-recipe.html
jrfrommd
jrfrommd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum