Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Always wanting... Toplef10Always wanting... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Always wanting... I22gcj10Always wanting... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Always wanting... Toplef10Always wanting... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Always wanting... I22gcj10Always wanting... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Always wanting...

+10
Marc Iverson
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
Goosegirl
llama momma
FamilyGardening
DorothyG
camprn
boffer
jimmy cee
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Always wanting... Empty Always wanting...

Post  jimmy cee 4/22/2014, 10:26 pm

I started this SFG thing (I love it) in the winter of 2013.
I cannot seem to get it done.
Everytime I think it's ok I come up with another idea, better this, better that, change this change that,
add this add that, do this do that, I'm wearing myself out for Pete's sake., not to mention my finances.
I suppose it will stop when my cash is all gone...probably just be able to afford weeds then.....
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Always wanting... Empty Re: Always wanting...

Post  boffer 4/22/2014, 10:43 pm

It'll be okay, jimmy.  Always wanting... Xxxxxx12 After all, you could be spending your time and money on fishing, and have nothing to show for it!  Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/22/2014, 10:45 pm

boffer wrote:It'll be okay, jimmy.  Always wanting... Xxxxxx12 After all, you could be spending your time and money on fishing, and have nothing to show for it!  Wink
+1 darn funny 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Always wanting... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  DorothyG 4/22/2014, 10:47 pm

Aahh, Jimmy, look at all the fun you're having!  Not only that, look at the great brain workout you're getting.  Won't have to join that online brain exercise program they advertise on TV.   Laughing  (I stay awake at night designing things in my head and trying to figure out where to put them.)
DorothyG
DorothyG

Female Posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/23/2014, 1:29 am

BIG hug 
hugs
rose.....
p.s. a lot of weeds are edible
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/23/2014, 3:09 am

Jimmy,
My guess is your not going to get it done as you said.  Just hope for a comfortable level of management.  Maybe the garden offers so much diverse satisfaction you keep looking for more!  Forces us outdoors, some exercise certainly with composting, commune with nature (personally I lose hours of time there..), you can eat your rewards now or save your harvest for later  and take loads of pictures along the way. You've made new friends online. You learn more each year and challenge yourself along the way.  There are ups and downs to deal with. For many it is emotionally lifting and therapeutic.  I think one could take on too much then it becomes work. Who wants another job around the house..  How about when the garden is going well, its almost too much fun.  We go at it like crazy then for many of us we get a winter break to dream, improve, and recharge. This is suppose to be the year I say stop at ten beds to stay manageable.. And the money part of it? I try not to think about it and trust the prized organic harvest with its ramped up nutrition makes it all worthwhile since I can hardly look at supermarket produce anymore.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/23/2014, 3:15 am

Jimmy - We are a creative and inventive bunch! We can always find 'one more thing' to do out in our gardens. My personal experiment this year is to see what I can do with spending as little as possible! We shall see.....

DorothyG wrote:.........  (I stay awake at night designing things in my head and trying to figure out where to put them.)

Thanks for posting this DorothyG!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/23/2014, 3:35 am

camprn wrote:
boffer wrote:It'll be okay, jimmy.  Always wanting... Xxxxxx12 After all, you could be spending your time and money on fishing, and have nothing to show for it!  Wink
+1 darn funny 

+1

I'm always trying to find one more spot for a little box or pot.  Our nice renter said she tried to grow a tomato and pepper last summer in her sandy soil, and they failed.  Guess who will be getting a 4 x 4 as soon as my compost is done?  And some of my left over seedlings!  Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/23/2014, 8:13 am

I totally understand, Jimmy!  We do the same thing.  Thank goodness we have some room to expand.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/23/2014, 12:27 pm

I found the answer !!!!
In the build it section of the SFG book I found a brief sentence explaining putting together a SFG garden is like playing with an erector set..
In the 40s I wanted one soooo bad, however my parents never had the money to buy one...
There's the answer, I now have my erector set...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/23/2014, 3:40 pm

and Lincoln Logs!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/23/2014, 6:13 pm

Nah on the logs, they didn't have enough nuts and screws for me
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/23/2014, 8:22 pm

Sometimes I wonder at spending all this time and money on gardening when I'm short both, so I know how you feel.

Today, though, I wandered into the local grocery store and saw they added a new organic section. Veggies for four bucks a pound. Not that I could afford to buy them anyway, not at the rate I eat vegetables, so I can't say that if I had to pay for organic veggies I'd spend just as much as I do on gardening or more. But ... at least I can HAVE organic veggies by growing them myself. And real ones, not organic as defined by lawyers and corporate lobbyists and senators who won't get their campaigns financed if they don't play ball with the agribusiness powers-that-be.

How much is good health worth? Nothing, or possibly everything, depending on one's outlook and attitude and situation in life. But I do know one thing ... it suddenly comes to feel like it's worth a lot more once you've gotten sick. There's pleasure to be had in knowing you're taking better care of your health by eating cleaner, healthier food before you get sick and it's all but too late to make much of a difference. Eating healthy produce gives me a little bit more peace of mind that I can enjoy in the here-and-now. It's a feeling of just that little bit more security than I would otherwise have, of being practical about my health, of a bit of extra insurance. Plus it tastes good.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 4/24/2014, 7:03 am

+1

I love NOT having to buy "unknown poisoned" produce at the stores.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/24/2014, 8:59 am

+2!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/24/2014, 11:32 am

jimmycee, when you first started and then collected enough leaves to fill about ten 4x4x4 leaf corrals I thought then you have taken on more than you could manage, as I had filled one 4x4x4 and was finding it hard work to turn the pile to produce finished compost after adding the appropriate greens etc.
Anyway, I have enjoyed enormously your progress since then and I think you are doing very well and giving us ideas to try ourselves. 
For myself, there are so many things I want to do, hampered by age and lack of money, but I have learned to appreciate what progress I have made instead of wishing for what cannot be. In fact, I take pride in getting results on a shoestring and just love it when I sit down to a meal wholey produced by myself, and also the pleasure in sharing with friends and neighbours.
A little while ago I started a thread "I feel Inferior" and you were one of the lovely people here who cheered me up no end so that I soon got over that down feeling and felt my usual optimistic self again. Thank you!

Marc Iverson: our local supermarket has suddenly expanded its tiny area devoted to organic produce and I am really astounded by the prices. If they halved the prices I would still have difficulty in affording any decent amount, so I still buy the regular stuff, except for things like strawberries.   Last year I grew quite a lot of greens and also bought from the farmers' market and was able to dehydrate enough to almost see me through to when I start harvesting again.  Just need to put away a bit more.  I also made up some of my shortfall by sprouting, mainly sunflower seeds, still doing it for another couple of weeks.

This gardening has really taken over my life and there is always something new to learn and experiment with and that does not take any money. All this makes me enjoy my home that much more so that I will resist to the end of my days not to end up in a home.

Last edited by Kelejan on 4/24/2014, 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/24/2014, 11:36 am

jimmy cee wrote:I found the answer !!!!
In the build it section of the SFG book I found a brief sentence explaining putting together a SFG garden is like playing with an erector set..
In the 40s I wanted one soooo bad, however my parents never had the money to buy one...

I've finished preaching, jimmy. I'm happy you have found the answer.  Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/24/2014, 3:39 pm

Kelejan wrote:jimmycee, when you first started and then collected enough leaves to fill about ten 4x4x4 leaf corrals I thought then you have taken on more than you could manage, as I had filled one 4x4x4 and was finding it hard work to turn the pile to produce finished compost after adding the appropriate greens etc.
Anyway, I have enjoyed enormously your progress since then and I think you are doing very well and giving us ideas to try ourselves. 

Agreed. jimmycee, it's fun watching you do things your own way and come up with some way to do it, whether it's laying grid lines in a way that never would have occurred to me or scrounging up massive piles of compostables or building beds and frames that often look a little different from the ones I'm used to seeing but still seem like great ideas that are fun to think about applying in some way to my own stuff.

Marc Iverson: our local supermarket has suddenly expanded its tiny area devoted to organic produce and I am really astounded by the prices. If they halved the prices I would still have difficulty in affording any decent amount, so I still buy the regular stuff, except for things like strawberries.   Last year I grew quite a lot of greens and also bought from the farmers' market and was able to dehydrate enough to almost see me through to when I start harvesting again.  Just need to put away a bit more.  I also made up some of my shortfall by sprouting, mainly sunflower seeds, still doing it for another couple of weeks.

That's on my agenda now, too -- learning to dehydrate and can, and also saving up to buy the equipment to do it. This forum has definitely stirred up my desire to figure out how to do stuff like that. I love the idea of growing tons of stuff as insurance I'll have enough for myself and maybe even to share with some neighbors, but don't want to see it just go to waste, so preserving sounds like a great and natural companion skill to gardening (and cooking!).

Last year we ate so many tomatoes that if I'd had to buy them our grocery bills would have been eye-popping. Good thing we have a very successful tomato-growing neighbor who let us take as much as we liked. I can't even think of buying organic in stores, for the most part. Onions at our local supermarket are up to two bucks a pound now, and that's for non-organic! Ridiculous.

This gardening has really taken over my life and there is always something new to learn and experiment with and that does not take any money. All this makes me enjoy my home that much more so that I will resist to the end of my days not to end up in a home.

It does make one appreciate nature and one's environment a lot more, doesn't it? It makes one more attuned to one's life, which is all we have moment by moment. Gardening sort of rejiggers the clock and helps us slow down enough to notice and appreciate life more.

No matter where we end up, it would be nice to get there having really paid attention, and learned to appreciate what we have, along the way.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/24/2014, 5:41 pm

Kelejan
Not to worry, you got to much spirit to end up in a home.

Truthfully I wasn't complaining about always doing doing doing, I enjoy sitting and relaxing, however when I do I am always thinking what to change....I made hoops for one of my beds, now since I don't like the covering I am going to remove it and build some frames to cover my small crops, keep the bugs out and also be able to cover for frost at will.
I just started shredding my last falls leaves today, a large plastic trash barrel, a battery operated weed eater has saved me from getting another piece of stuff ( shredder ) .
The weather has turned, my nasturtiums are in the pots, marigolds looking good, broccoli, kohlrabi, lettuce, chard, and some herbs in the cold frame survived the cold onslaught of a few weeks ago..all's well with the world......
oh ohhh.gotta go for dinner...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/24/2014, 10:32 pm

PVC is the new erector set. And look at how we all use PVC is our gardens.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/25/2014, 6:30 am

I got a hand-me-down erector set when I was about 10. I LOVED THAT THING!!! It kept me from taking apart the vacuum cleaner, toaster, lawn mower, etc! Now I play with scavenged wood and other assorted goodies for house and garden. I have dreams of PVC creations!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/25/2014, 8:08 am

Goosegirl wrote:

I got a hand-me-down erector set when I was about 10.  I LOVED THAT THING!!!  It kept me from taking apart the vacuum cleaner, toaster, lawn mower, etc!  Now I play with scavenged wood and other assorted goodies for house and garden.  I have dreams of PVC creations!

GG

I used to play with my brothers' Mecanno set of metals strips with holes in them and screws etc.  A bit like a metal Leggo. I'm afraid my Mom dispaired of me as she wanted a girly-girl.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/25/2014, 6:44 pm

Kelejan wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

I got a hand-me-down erector set when I was about 10.  I LOVED THAT THING!!!  It kept me from taking apart the vacuum cleaner, toaster, lawn mower, etc!  Now I play with scavenged wood and other assorted goodies for house and garden.  I have dreams of PVC creations!

GG

I used to play with my brothers' Mecanno set of metals strips with holes in them and screws etc.  A bit like a metal Leggo. I'm afraid my Mom dispaired of me as she wanted a girly-girl.

Yep - my poor mom never had a chance to have girly girls.  That's what happens when you have 3 boys first.  My sister and I liked dresses, stilettos, and curls, we just climbed trees and fences in them!  (dresses and chain-link do not play well together, but pointy-toed stilettos are great for climbing them!)

GG  
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/26/2014, 8:19 am

GG -                     rofl  rofl  rofl
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 4/26/2014, 11:21 am

Agree with GG. I just love a good building project. My Dad was a carpentry teacher at a tech school so he taught us a lot. He never felt being female should exclude me from learning anything. He taught me and my brothers about building, working with wood, how to maintain our car and little bits about plumbing and electrical. Through watching and helping him (and driving him crazy with endless questions) I also learned to not be afraid of trying to do something, to be creative and how to think a project through first. It's amazing how much you can do with the right tools and knowing how to use them. Thanks Dad!!! He's just amazing. Thankfully my sister has the responsibility of being the girly girl of the family. I never got the hang of high heels or makeup.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next