Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? Toplef10Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? I22gcj10Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? Toplef10Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? I22gcj10Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat?

+9
plantoid
walshevak
bnoles
sanderson
quiltbea
camprn
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
boffer
13 posters

Go down

Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? Empty Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat?

Post  boffer 12/4/2013, 8:52 pm

Is there a taste, a smell, or a texture of a veggie that just turns your stomach?

When my son was growing up, we had a house rule: everybody had to taste everything that was served.  But since my wife can't stand creamed corn (the texture), and I can't stand yams/sweet potatoes (the flavor), we never cooked them, so that we weren't forced to follow the rules.  He still hasn't figured that out!

But I have been thinking, since homegrown veggies taste so much better, maybe I could learn to like sweet potatoes or yams if a I grew them myself.  Oh darn, I don't think it gets hot enough here to grow them.  Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? Empty Re: Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat?

Post  CapeCoddess 12/4/2013, 8:54 pm

Okra.  BLECH! Mad 

Eggplant is a close 2nd. tongue 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? Empty Re: Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat?

Post  Goosegirl 12/4/2013, 8:59 pm

Thick slices of raw onion and the hard stem section of lettuce - both have the same nasty squeaky crunch.  Also can't stand the gritty squeak of biting into pears.  Also the pop and pucker of biting into a grape.  I am sensing a pattern with textures and sounds!

GG

PS - one of my brothers has the same issue with onions/lettuce!

PPS - the grape issue does not extend to wine bottoms up
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/4/2013, 9:23 pm

Fennel, anise, licorice....... anything like that.
Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? Onion-head-smiley-00040 Blargh!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/4/2013, 10:35 pm

Okra.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/4/2013, 11:16 pm

Roasted beets!  Anise, fennel, licorice, 5-spice.

On the more exotic:  Whole baby octopus, even if the bean sauce is good.  Shrimp heads, steamed crab or lobster sex parts. Never tried eyeballs, kidneys, sweetbreads, raw fish or oysters (danger) or mountain oysters.

I think I'm pretty lucky.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21617

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 12/4/2013, 11:49 pm

1. Eggplant
2. Beets

Everything else is wonderful!

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/5/2013, 12:17 am

beets
anything licorice flavored
okra
maple syrup or any maple flavoring
okra unless pickled
sweet bean paste (in Japanese food a lot)
mochi  http://www.everything2.com/title/mochi\

NON VEGGIE
fish heads, dried fish, fish sauce
kidneys, sweetbreads, but I do like pork brains scrambled with eggs
balut http://www.junch.com/balut-eggs/

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/5/2013, 5:36 am

Petit pois .. French garden peas ... even the smell makes me want to bring up my socks.  

On Boxing day lunch in 1966 when I was 15 my bro cheated at his house , he slipped some under the roast beef on my plate. ( he could be an evil git !Twisted Evil  )

I ate them and didn't say a word ,  went as green as the peas , then suddenly like a fountain I got my own back & I hooped them up all over the posh laid up dining table the other 11 family members were sat at .Laughing

I still can't stand them , even typing this makes me feel queasy
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/5/2013, 8:12 am

plantoid wrote:Petit pois .. French garden peas ... even the smell makes me want to bring up my socks.  

On Boxing day lunch in 1966 when I was 15 my bro cheated at his house , he slipped some under the roast beef on my plate. ( he could be an evil git !Twisted Evil  )

I ate them and didn't say a word ,  went as green as the peas , then suddenly like a fountain I got my own back & I hooped them up all over the posh laid up dining table the other 11 family members were sat at .Laughing

I still can't stand them , even typing this makes me feel queasy
I'm with you on the peas!  One day in 3rd grade I had to have the hot lunch in the cafeteria instead of a sandwich from home, and the teacher monitoring the room that day would not excuse me until I ate the peas on my tray.  Since I hated them, I tried swallowing a few of them whole, washed down with some milk (which I also hated).  Up came the milky peas, all over my tray and the table.  I was excused immediately.

GG

PS - Still hate cooked peas (raw are fine, as well as pea pods in stir fry).  Discovered 25 years later that I am allergic to milk protein.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/5/2013, 3:26 pm

Eggplant used to make me start to retch, and a couple of other things, but that was when I was a kid, so long ago I can't even remember.

There is one "veggie" that really disgusts me -- the water/broth that comes in a can of mixed diced vegetables. It's a yellowish, horrible-smelling thing that just tastes "wrong," like someone peed in asparagus and let it spoil for a while. Or something.

Oh, also, salmon or sardines canned in a tomato sauce. That fish-reeking sauce becomes an unholy thing.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3637

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/5/2013, 4:10 pm

Ditto on the canned water.

However, when my DH is out of town, I can't wait for sardines on Saltines, water or tomato packed.  Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21617

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/5/2013, 4:51 pm

sanderson wrote:Ditto on the canned water.

However, when my DH is out of town, I can't wait for sardines on Saltines, water or tomato packed.  Very Happy
mustard packed!!!!

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/5/2013, 4:54 pm

walshevak wrote:
sanderson wrote:Ditto on the canned water.

mustard packed!!!!

Kay
Nice!What a Face 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is there a veggie that you can't stand to eat? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianDorry55 12/6/2013, 9:49 am

Honestly no...when it comes to fruits/veggies/herbs...I pretty much love all of them. I love trying whatever I can and picking out and appreciating the flavors and then learning how to cook/eat them properly...I guess the only thing I can say is raw red onion is not for me...not so much that I don't like the flavor, its just too darn overpowering and pretty much ruins anything you put it on...and I don't really go out of my way to eat corn, because I just don't think of it as very nutritious...Probably the reason I enjoy every veggie I eat is because I always have that health factor in the back of my mind.

Speaking of which, ripped off a little leaf from my mustard greens yesterday and tried them raw for the first time...that is some spicy deliciousness!
BrianDorry55
BrianDorry55

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/6/2013, 10:19 am

BrianDorry55 wrote:I don't really go out of my way to eat corn, because I just don't think of it as very nutritious...Probably the reason I enjoy every veggie I eat is because I always have that health factor in the back of my mind.
 I totally relate this this, Brian.  Corn & also potatoes.  My fave cooking guru, Christina Perello, says if you think you've eaten enough greens, eat some more.  You can never get enough.

I even learned this year to like beets.  My mother makes them a lot and I used to put 1 or 2 slices on my plate just because they are good for me, but had to hold my nose when eating them to get past the dirt taste.  This year a fellow employee made them pickled & roasted to share with us and converted 2 of us.  We now LOVE them.  I don't know why some taste like dirt and some don't, but the mini ones from my SFG don't.  They are sweet and delicious!  And the beet greens are my favorite. I love you

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 12/7/2013, 9:27 pm

Parsnips...taste like what I imagine the north end of a south-bound mole must taste like.  Cooked peas, unless they're so quickly cooked they're almost raw.  Most everything I've tasted enough in various and different preparations to find out how I like every other vegetable and/or fruit.  Overcooked veggies are totally nasty.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1435

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 12/7/2013, 10:06 pm

Brussels sprouts, mum always over cooked them and they had that horrible stale cabbage smell. Yuk! I have been told that they taste very different roasted but I haven't been game to try, especially since hubby can't stand them either!
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down