Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! Toplef10what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! I22gcj10what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! Toplef10what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! I22gcj10what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?!

+5
CapeCoddess
Triciasgarden
mschaef
Windmere
peachiee77
9 posters

Go down

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! Empty what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?!

Post  peachiee77 5/29/2013, 1:58 pm

Ok so I have cucumbers (marketmore and pickling), squash (spaghetti and acorn) and zucchini (green and yellow) and they are not looking too great. Are they goners? Should I just replant? Is it too late to replant? I'm in zone 6b (I think! haha). We did have a few unseasonable cold nights here last week (got down to 35 I think, but no frost) - could that have done it? I'm new to all this so I have no idea! here are some pictures of them:

These are the pickling cucumbers (I did cut off the leaves that were really bad already - they were basically completely brown, and these just seem to be getting worse)
what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! _mg_2111

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! _mg_2112

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! _mg_2113

Here are the marketmore
what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! _mg_2114

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! _mg_2115

Zucchini or squash - I don't remember which one now, but they all look about the same! )
what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! _mg_2116

Also, my one pepper plant has a leaf thats a bit funky - any ideas about this as well? is it ok? everything else seems healthy - am I just panicking like a new mother? haha
what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! _mg_2117

Thanks in advance for your help!

peachiee77
peachiee77

Back to top Go down

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! Empty I know what your mean....

Post  Windmere 5/29/2013, 2:45 pm

Peachiee77,

I can't help you with your questions because I am too new to gardening (first time this year). The one thing I did want tell you is that I completely understand your feelings about feeling like a new parent. You put in so much effort to raise these little plants to adulthood and when they get sick you want to do everything in your power to make them feel better.

I know that you will get some good answers from the experienced gardeners who participate on this forum. It's really excellent that you posted such good photos.

I'll keep monitoring this thread to find out what to do in your situation. I am also raising pickling cucumbers.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1422

Back to top Go down

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! Empty Re: what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?!

Post  mschaef 5/29/2013, 3:31 pm

I first want to tell you that the plant look like they are putting forth new green leaves so that great news. As for what is causing the damage I'm not 100% sure. I am having the same problem but with just my peppers I think that it is due to the strong winds and rain that we have been having here. I would not worry to much until the plants stop putting forth new leaves that look healthy. Good luck to you!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 597

Back to top Go down

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! Empty Re: what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?!

Post  Triciasgarden 5/29/2013, 3:59 pm

Peachie do you think it could be a cold weather thing? I am bringing this up so others can also chime in. I am thinking that it was/is too cold still for your cucumbers and squash/zucchini. The book says to plant the cucumbers a week after last spring frost. The squash/zucchini should be planted two weeks after last spring frost.

Your photos are very good and clear!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1633

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/29/2013, 4:14 pm

I agree with Tricia...they look like they were cold. But the new growth is very encouraging. If they were mine I'd cut the old stuff off.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/29/2013, 4:28 pm

The new growth looks good. Squash and especially cuke old foliage often gets really ratty looking. I often will just pinch or clip off the yucky looking leaves.
Are you water the plant or the soil underneath? Are you giving too much water? The plants need little water when they are so small.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 5/29/2013, 5:25 pm

Mine looked pretty much the same for several weeks after planting, but then the hot weather showed up and no more problems.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  peachiee77 5/29/2013, 5:56 pm

It was the right time past the last frost date, we have just had some very strange weather here! It was quite cold for a few days, which was weird!

I am not watering from below, just normal old school watering! haha

So should I cut of the leaves that don't look well and just let them go? or should I plant new ones?

Thanks for all the advice already!
peachiee77
peachiee77

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/29/2013, 6:25 pm

I would take off the terrible looking leaves and see what the new growth looks like. Once the temperature gets going towards warm, they should get perky and overflowing.

Last edited by camprn on 5/29/2013, 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/29/2013, 6:31 pm

peachiee77 wrote:It was the right time past the last frost date, we have just had some very strange weather here! It was quite cold for a few days, which was weird!

I am not watering from below, just normal old school watering! haha

So should I cut of the leaves that don't look well and just let them go? or should I plant new ones?

Thanks for all the advice already!

I think we are all having strange weather! We got cold again here and I haven't had a chance to plant my warmer weather crops. It probably won't take too long for your plants to bounce back and like so many have said, your new growth is so pretty! We all have things happen with our plants and having each other to help with the problems is what is so nice about this site!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1633

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/29/2013, 6:33 pm

I'm in the 'cool weather camp'. A little sunshine will perk them up.

Your one pepper leaf may have a bug bite, but the rest of the plant looks good, so I wouldn't worry about it.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

what's wrong with my cucumbers/zucchinie/squash?!?! Empty Clip the ends and keep the plants

Post  WriterCPA 5/29/2013, 6:56 pm

Agreed. The plant is putting forth healthy looking new leaves. You can take a scissors to clip the ratty looking bits (I'd keep the rest of the leaves so they can gather sunshine and help your plant heal.)

Don't overwater -- let them dry out a little. Warmer weather and patience should do the trick.
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down