Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Toplef10What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... I22gcj10What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Toplef10What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... I22gcj10What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's...

+3
2SooCrew
camprn
s1rGr1nG0
7 posters

Go down

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Empty What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's...

Post  s1rGr1nG0 9/29/2013, 2:48 pm

Our pumpkin and squash seem to have a problem. The lower leaves on both are turning yellow. This is the second planting in this particular bed. In the spring/summer we had watermelon and cantaloupe in this spot. Here are a couple of pics.

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... <a href=What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Photo3_zps683dba2d

Also, one of our tomato plants is not looking too healthy. Sorry for this pic not being too clear but hopefully someone can make a suggestion.

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... <a href=What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Photo2_zpse8d69b9f

And finally....something is chomping on another squash plant. I'm pretty sure its some form of caterpillar. I can see some "spider webs" clinging on what's left of the leaf. Would 7 dust handle this?

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... <a href=What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Photo1_zpsf6d41c67

What can I do about the yellowing of the leaves in the 2 pics above? Thanks guys. I appreciate any and all the help!
s1rGr1nG0
s1rGr1nG0

Back to top Go down

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Empty Re: What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's...

Post  camprn 9/29/2013, 3:14 pm

Lower older leaves naturally expire. however, I think you need to feed your plants. My recommendation, top dress with good quality compost or use compost tea.

I would get it was some type of beetle that ate that leaf.

Sevin will kill everything in the garden, I do not recommend it's use.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Empty Re: What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's...

Post  2SooCrew 9/30/2013, 12:53 pm

If it is a slug problem, I've placed beer in a plastic margarine container lid and it attracts them, and I remove them daily.

Is the soil dry?
2SooCrew
2SooCrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 9/30/2013, 1:51 pm

yeppers  camprn! +1
What time of day, and for how long do you water your plants? How is watering done, overhead by hand or directly to the plant's root zone?
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 9/30/2013, 4:18 pm

How often is it appropriate to apply a compost tea solution? Once a month? Bi-weekly? Weekly? I don't want to over do it and was curious Very Happy 
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 9/30/2013, 4:31 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:How often is it appropriate to apply a compost tea solution?  Once a month?  Bi-weekly?  Weekly?  I don't want to over do it and was curious Very Happy 
imho, weekly is okay!
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Empty Updated...new pics.

Post  s1rGr1nG0 9/30/2013, 7:35 pm

Ok, got home from work and found part of the problem. These things are chomping on my squash. We went to Lowes last night and got some organic insecticide but apparently it doesn't work on these.

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... <a href=What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Photo5_zps5769173d

Also, I noticed that one of the pumpkin plants is totally wilted this evening. The soil is not dry and I'm wondering if these critters are also working on it. They plants are close to each other.

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... <a href=What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Photo1_zpsb8069468

While looking at the rest of the plants I noticed this tomato plant is not looking as healthy as it should. Is this some kind of blight?

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... <a href=What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Photo4_zps57b1767c

And lastly, (if I remember right), this is one of our 2 okra plants. What's wrong with it? Looks like we got some major issues with our first Fall plantings so far! Sad

What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... <a href=What's wrong with my squash, pumpkins, and tomato's... Photo2_zpsc62a5fac
s1rGr1nG0
s1rGr1nG0

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/30/2013, 11:14 pm

Re your tomato plant, it may have a different problem than I'm thinking of, but perhaps it also is missing a bit of nitrogen lately? If your wood chips are too fresh, it's possible for them to drain some nitrogen from the plant even when used as a mulch. Tomatoes, especially, will try to send out roots all the way up.

I say all this because I had a tomato in rich soil and heavy bark chip mulch look a bit like yours, and also because I read somewhere about an experiment that showed chip mulch can suck out some nitrogen.

That said, after a few months, even my pure bark mulch is starting to turn into black compost a few inches down.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/1/2013, 12:14 am

Photo #1
You can spray with a Bacillus thuringiensis (BT) mixture for caterpillar control. It should be available at any hardware or gardening store.

Photos #2-4 Don't know. I'm too new to gardening! Embarassed 

I spray with Neem oil solution for persistent harmful insects or powdery mildew. Also baking soda solution for PM. Be careful with Neem, as it can harm bees.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum