Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Best and worst trellis netting? Toplef10Best and worst trellis netting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Best and worst trellis netting? I22gcj10Best and worst trellis netting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Best and worst trellis netting? Toplef10Best and worst trellis netting? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Best and worst trellis netting? I22gcj10Best and worst trellis netting? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Best and worst trellis netting?

+15
turkeyleg
jazzycat
didomach
1airdoc
Hoggar
gwennifer
johnsonjlj
jmsieglaff
Lindacol
quiltbea
southern gardener
NAR56
donnainzone5
camprn
Lemonie
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best and worst trellis netting? Empty Best and worst trellis netting?

Post  Lemonie 1/7/2013, 4:03 pm

Hello garden family! Is anyone else already dreaming of spring, starting seeds and garden planning? Best and worst trellis netting? 274447

My current conundrum: I'm entering my 3rd year of SFG and have gradually added to my garden size over the seasons. The trellis netting I bought the 1st year is still holding strong after lots of heavy tomatoes, watermelon and squash. The netting I got last year for my newest trellis (which I thought was the same???) completly shredded after a month of peas and cantalope vines (no fruit). Sad So, I quickly and half-hazardly wove some sturdy kite string which held for the season but is very saggy now. I'd really like to just replace it with another good netting instead of trying to re-tie and tighten.

So- what type of netting have you used and works best?
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Best and worst trellis netting? Empty Re: Best and worst trellis netting?

Post  camprn 1/7/2013, 6:06 pm

I reweave my trellis nets each year with sisal twine because I don't want a mid year failure of the net. I compost the net at the end of the season.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Best and worst trellis netting? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 1/8/2013, 11:42 am

I put up my first trellis, using the netting sold by the Foundation, in 2008. When I moved in 2012, the netting was still going strong! I did have to tighten it up once or twice in the interim.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 1/8/2013, 12:15 pm

Thanks for the replies! Since I'm not one to spend the time constructing netting each year (it's hard removing and replacing them with my setup), then sounds like I need to use the one from the foundation. I do check it each season to make sure it's sturdy.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 1/8/2013, 3:16 pm

I have a netting question: How well do Tomatoes do on Trellis netting? Is it better than tomato cages? Thanks
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/8/2013, 6:47 pm

we have used a light welded wire with 4x4 openings. We put it up years ago, and it's still standing, never touched it! It used to be called "tomato guard" wire. You can make tomato cages out of it, but we stretched it across our trellis and works great!! good luck to you.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 1/9/2013, 11:35 am

NAR56 wrote:I have a netting question: How well do Tomatoes do on Trellis netting? Is it better than tomato cages? Thanks

Mine have done very well....but they are the vining type and not bush. It's pretty easy to train them up the trellis and I usually end up having to gently train them back down a bit too (or let the neighbor pick whatever goes over his side of the fence). On my first net, I've been able to trellis 3 tomato and 4 cuke plants all on one 5' wide, 7' tall net. It's been a good sturdy net and I'm hoping to get another just like it. I think it also helps that my trellis is well anchored for heavy winds too. I have it fastened to my boxes and to our privacy fence. I have yet to use the tomato cages, so I can't answer that part of the riddle.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/9/2013, 1:27 pm

Sorry, can't help with trellising tomatoes since I string mine, but I use a strong polypropylene trellis netting for my peas and beans that lasts thru the seasons to be folded up and put away for the next season.
Best and worst trellis netting? Sugar_10
They also have super-strong nylon cord netting for the heavy stuff at johnnyseeds.com if you need it.
I got my propylene netting at Blue Seal Feeds since they carried smaller amounts, like 5' by 15' which works better for me to cut to size.

I've used the green garden netting which fell apart before one season and the sisal twine which changed shape thru the season, fat spots and narrow spots here and there, caused by rain, catching on plants. Didn't like that either. Couldn't save those for another year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 1/9/2013, 2:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on trellising my tomatoes this spring and just wanted to know if other had success.
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 1/9/2013, 3:11 pm

I just use pieces of stock panels and T posts. It's never going to wear out.

Best and worst trellis netting? Garden10
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 1/9/2013, 3:54 pm

Lindacol wrote:I just use pieces of stock panels and T posts. It's never going to wear out.

Very much agree!

Best and worst trellis netting? Tulips11
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 1/9/2013, 6:51 pm

I used the metal electrical condiut with garden netting I found last year, which was the first year that I went all-out on sfg. Trellised tomatoes, melons, cucumbers, and beans. FAIL!!!! Saw jmsieglaff's use of cattle panels and electrical conduit, and that's what we'll DEFINITELY be using this year. The cattle panels are smooth, well built, and a 16' panel only runs $20 at our Tractor Supply here. Since they're so long, it will enable us to cut it and use it in several different beds.

Judi
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 1/9/2013, 9:36 pm

Lindacol wrote:I just use pieces of stock panels and T posts. It's never going to wear out.

Oh yes! I have a 16' panel arched between 2 2x3 boxes and have been using that nicely for squash and pumpkins. I hadn't thought of cutting a panel for single trellis and am not sure I have the tools to do so. What do you use to cut through that thick of wire? (Forgive my ignorace....but I'm just happy to know how to use a hammer).
Lemonie
Lemonie

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 1/9/2013, 9:50 pm

Two possibilities come to mind, but I'm sure my husband will add his two cents! I'm thinking either our reciprocating saw with a metal blade or the grinder. I'm sure someone in the tool section of a home improvement store can tell you what tool and blade you could use.
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 1/9/2013, 10:01 pm

I used a recip saw and metal cutting blades, cut them right on the lawn.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 1/9/2013, 10:08 pm

Bolt cutters is what I use. Also I use the cattle panels without a frame - it is not really needed. I do use longer T posts on the ends.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/10/2013, 12:34 pm

If you want to start smaller than or can't find the cattle panels, I used the concrete reinforcing mesh you can buy at Lowe's/Home Depot. They are just over seven bucks (see the link). I attached it to the bent conduit trellis frame as described in the ANSFG book (instructions start on page 148). link). A nice man at Home Depot bent the conduit for me so I didn't have to buy corners.Best and worst trellis netting? Trelli11
I put mine sideways and it spans six feet and is about five feet tall since the bottom rung is several inches off the ground. (Probably should cut my pipes shorter but the peas and beans find it eventually.)
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 1/10/2013, 1:20 pm

Gwennifer, I saw those exact panels same last night while I was looking for all the other items to make the trellis and thought they would be perfect Very Happy . I made a special boxes for tomatoes and cucumbers (2 x 8 and 2 x 10) and that is where I plan on putting the trellis. My tomatoes were in cages but grow out of them since they are only 4" tall.
Currently my Broccoli are in the cucumber bed and my tomatoes just finished. Thanks to all who posted with advice.
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 1/10/2013, 3:32 pm

Always overly proud and happy to re-post my tomato trellis! Its 8' long by 10' high I plant 16 plants in the 2' X 8' box. I use Jute twine to string my vines.
Best and worst trellis netting? IMAG0120
Best and worst trellis netting? Aug-20-2012-6
Best and worst trellis netting? 10-07-2012-
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 1/10/2013, 4:17 pm

Another vote for cattle panels from me! Tractor supply even cut them for me when I purchased them.
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/10/2013, 9:26 pm

Hoggar....I'm with you. Twine is my favorite tho I use stakes and cages in other places when needed. I just can't see my tomatoes struggling thru trellis wire or netting and having their branches being damaged or bent in the process. Ouch!
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 1/11/2013, 10:37 am

I do a lot of trimming and guiding to get my toms to the top of that trellis, but the end result is worth every second.
Hoggar
Hoggar

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/12/2013, 3:15 pm

quiltbea wrote:Hoggar....I'm with you. Twine is my favorite tho I use stakes and cages in other places when needed. I just can't see my tomatoes struggling thru trellis wire or netting and having their branches being damaged or bent in the process. Ouch!

I did the stringing method my first year growing an indeterminate tomato, training a single vine along twine that was anchored top and bottom. As the tomato grew, the vine grew thicker and thicker and so the twine ended up cutting into it. Didn't seem to affect the vine though I guess. The next year I put the tomato in my new SFG and still trained a single vine but wound it back and forth through the metal trellis as it grew. Those openings are 7" I think - plenty of room to pull the vine through. If I didn't poke it through the next square before it grew too much and was worried about bending it too far, I'd just poke it through the next square instead. It was easy.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 1/14/2013, 4:11 pm

I don't anchor the bottom I just stick the loose end in the dirt so it can pull up as the vine gets thicker. The twine has never cut into my vines but I have had the vine get so heavy it broke the twine. Very Happy
Hoggar
Hoggar

Back to top Go down

Best and worst trellis netting? Empty your tomato structure

Post  didomach 3/11/2013, 2:20 pm

Hoggar wrote:I don't anchor the bottom I just stick the loose end in the dirt so it can pull up as the vine gets thicker. The twine has never cut into my vines but I have had the vine get so heavy it broke the twine. Very Happy

I'm wondering what kind of twine you use. You say the vines can get so heavy that they break the twine. I wonder if it is related to how high your trellis support is. I understand it's about 10 ft high. Did you make it so high for a particular reason? Do the vines OFTEN break the twine?

I'm planning my tomato support, and really liked your picture. Your step stool shows me that it's very high for harvesting. Is the 10 feet because the vines demand it, or for another reason?

I did have another question, and I hope "Hoggar" that you can tell me how you rotate using this structure... and I posted it under Garden plans https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t14796-regarding-tomato-boxes-rotation. Thx
didomach
didomach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next