Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence Toplef10Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence I22gcj10Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence Toplef10Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence I22gcj10Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence

4 posters

Go down

Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence Empty Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence

Post  gardengrl63 3/31/2012, 4:24 pm

Hi All. I'm putting in a white picket fence around my kitchen garden. On one side I'll be putting 8' foot wide x 6' high trelis'. Just wondering what you think:

1. Is 8' too wide?

2. I don't want to hide the new 4' picket fence. Can I prune the vines so they start spreading above that the fence.

3. If so, should I attach the trellis netting starting about four feet up and just use vertical leaders to get the vines up that high.

4. When I did this before I did it the old fashion way with twine. This time I'd like to buy the netting. I see you can buy 5' by 30' packages on Amazon. I'm assuming you just trim it to the desired width and attach it. Or would you recommend another method.

Thanks and Happy Spring Everyone!!!!!
gardengrl63
gardengrl63

Back to top Go down

Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence Empty Re: Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence

Post  quiltbea 3/31/2012, 9:21 pm

How much your fence will be hidden depends on how productive and lush is your crop. If you don't want it completely hidden, with peas and beans plant the seeds further apart so you have fewer vines crowding in front of it. For tomatoes, plant every other square or every 3rd square.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence Empty Picket Fence and Trellis

Post  gardengrl63 4/1/2012, 7:42 am

Thanks for the reply. The goal is to have it very thick above the fence and not so much below.
gardengrl63
gardengrl63

Back to top Go down

Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence Empty Re: Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/1/2012, 10:04 am

glad you\'re here gardengrl63!

1) It depends on how many squares are in front of the trellis. If you are only reaching over 2 squares in the center, it should work fine. But if you have to reach over 4 squares to get to the trellis, that would be kind of hard in the center....

2) Wow - pruning up 4 feet would be kind of difficult with some plants I would think. Try to do a search for Acara's trellis last year or the year before, as he did a really strict pruning job on his tomatoes and fanned them out, but even then I'm not sure if you could prune 4 feet up. you would expect some growth in that 4 feet so you'd want to follow the advice about spacing them farther apart.

3) I can't really answer that. To me, that depends on the look you want to achieve....do you want just two feet of netting at the top? Do you have plants you will have to tie to the leaders?

4) I have used the netting last year and had no trouble with it. Yes, the piece I bought (from a local hardware store on the tomato ties rack), made two trellises for me. I simply cut it to fit and since I had some flexibility with how wide my trellis was, I actually threaded the poles in and out through the trellis netting weave (there was a thread last year where a member did that in her dining room...lol) so didn't have to tie as much.

I'm assuming you would have a 6' high trellis and would put the 5' netting on it so the netting would begin about a foot off the ground...

Are you using SFG at all? Have you read the All New Square Foot Gardening book yet? Keep us posted on your progress as your kitchen garden sounds lovely with its picket fence! Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  gardengrl63 4/1/2012, 3:13 pm

Hi There and thanks for the welcome. I just dragged out my old 1/2" conduit that I used for the trellis over a decade ago. I managed to get the test piece of rebar stuck in the bottom of it already. I bought a four foot piece, which I think is too long. Do people use half inch conduit and, if yes, are there advantages to this?

I can see this is going to take some trial and error (doesn't everything!). From what I can see 8 feet is a bit too much of a span (the beds themselves along the fence will only be about two feet wide so the reaching over won't be a problem.) Perhaps I can put a center support with the curved pipes at the corners. Lawn is on a slope so that presents another set of challenges.

BTW, has anyone ever spray painted their conduit with the textured spray paint for out doors. This'll be in my front yard so I'm trying to spruce it up a bit.

First things first tho, I have to concentrate on getting the beds in (and getting rid of the front lawn yeah!)

BTW, what would you say is the most leafy, trellis covering crop?

Thanks!
gardengrl63
gardengrl63

Back to top Go down

Trellis Netting and New Picket Fence Empty The New SFG

Post  gardengrl63 4/11/2012, 1:28 pm

Hey, thanks for suggesting I buy the book; I was somewhat skeptical, but it's great with all the color pics and updates.

Back to ripping out the lawn, ugh!
gardengrl63
gardengrl63

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 4/11/2012, 2:27 pm

Nothing spruces up a trellis like having it covered with productive vines!
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down