Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Louisiana! Toplef10Hello from Louisiana! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Louisiana! I22gcj10Hello from Louisiana! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Louisiana! Toplef10Hello from Louisiana! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Louisiana! I22gcj10Hello from Louisiana! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Louisiana!

+4
Pepper
southern gardener
cheyannarach
Carrot-top
8 posters

Go down

Hello from Louisiana! Empty Hello from Louisiana!

Post  Carrot-top 7/23/2012, 11:12 pm

I am new to SFG. I was looking for a way to garden that is feasible for me ( I really love vegetables and spend a fortune at the store buying them!). I work a full time job and am a full time single mom and I have tried to garden in the past and I can NOT keep up with the weeds affraid They are very daunting- to say the least! I was checking out different books in the public library study and came across Mel's SFG book and I felt like a light bulb had went off!! Hey, I think I can do this one!! I read the book from cover to cover. So I don't have anything in the beds yet- just got the beds put together this evening and I finally got all my different composts today- I plan to have a fall garden. Here in Louisiana many people have fall gardens and now is the time to plant. I have really enjoyed just reading everyone's posts, I have learned a lot! I have a question- I bought some "compost" at Walmart and it seemed VERY heavy. When I opened the bag it looks like there is sand in it. Ok, I know sand is organic, but is this good to use- I understood that this is a "soil-less" bedding?? thinking I tend to be a little OCD about different things, I know, but "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!!" Wink , (and I don't have time to try, try, try, try again. (No one ever accused me of being long on patience! LOL!).
Hello from Louisiana! 3085260134
Carrot-top
Carrot-top

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Hello from Louisiana! Empty Re: Hello from Louisiana!

Post  cheyannarach 7/23/2012, 11:43 pm

What other kind of composts did you get besides the Walmart one? If it was me and I had a bunch of other good stuff I would use it, sand would help (along with the vermiculite) to keep the soil friable. So happy you get to get your garden going, good luck!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/23/2012, 11:55 pm

welcome to the forum! I personally would not use the sand. Mel's first book called for sand in the recipe, then he changed it. We did our first set of 12 boxes with the old recipe, using sand and it was too "light", meaning the water went through it so fast we had to water often. We then bought the pre made mix and it holds water a lot better. Good luck, but be SURE you get your composts correct! That seems to be the key as far as I can tell. We are still working on getting the composts correct it seems...
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 7/24/2012, 12:37 am

glad you\'re here Carrot-top to the forum. Mel's mix is not cheap but well worth the one time cost. I made a batch then decided it was too much for the rest(what I had then) beds. I now have 4 big beds with a much inferior mix(does not retain water like SG said), constantly kicking myself in the hinney for that mistake. Here is a link to a thread in this forum about Mels mix and it's importance(in this forum) https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7451-mel-s-mix-how-strong-is-your-backbone
Although even dirt will grow stuff at the consentrated planting rates this method uses you need the best 'dirt' you can make.
Good luck with your garden
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/24/2012, 2:18 am

Can you post a picture of the Walmart compost. Maybe we have some members who have experience with it. A list of the other composts would be helpful too.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 7/24/2012, 10:21 am

Welcome to the Forum from another person in Louisiana !

I have found that my local nurseries have better quality and knowledge than other stores in my area. The price may be higher but the products are better in quality in my opinion. Good luck on your Fall garden.
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Hello from Louisiana! Empty Welcome from a native Cajun!

Post  kat51415 7/24/2012, 1:50 pm

I'm a native Cajun (born and bred in the Bayou State, DeRidder to be exact) but am now transplanted to SE Oklahoma. It took us quite a bit of perseverance to get the 5 composts and the vermiculite but it has paid off. SFG is not cheap to get started but the costs will equal out over time (I hope...LOL) so our theory was to get it right to start with. Welcome to the forum. Lotsa good folks and invaluable information right here. This is my "go to" group whenever I have a gardening/food preservation/life (LOL) issue.
kat51415
kat51415

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 7/24/2012, 3:27 pm

As a first year newbe to gardening and SFG let me say the learning curve for success is steep. It would have been great not to have had to fight the poor soil and everything else at the same time.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Hello from Louisiana! Empty Again from Louisiana

Post  Carrot-top 7/25/2012, 10:51 pm

Wow, Kat51415, I am also from DeRidder! Actually I was raised in the Ozarks in NW Arkansas but transplanted here 20 years ago, so I think of myself as a Cajun, too (although there are those who would argue with that Smile )!
As for the questions that were asked: the compost that I bought at Wal-mart is called Earthgro, it says "organic humus and manure" on a white bag with black letters. I don't plan on using it in my mix because I don't want to take a chance on messing the mix up! I will use it on some of my other plants that need a pick me up Laughing
The other ingredients are vermiculite, ( I was able to buy a 4 cubic foot bag at a local nursery) and peat moss, then for the composts I was able to get Black-kow, chicken, Happy-gro (made from forest products from Lowe's), cotton burr, and the last (one I found at the same nursery) was worm castings. The worm castings were very spendy but from what I have been reading they are well worth the investment. I told my children how excited I was that I had found some and they were like "WHAT are WORM CASTINGS?!? Do we even want to know????" When I told them and they weren't very impressed-go figure!! I tried to explain about how the worms are raised and how they get the castings. They just weren't interested, especially when I said that I was thinking about starting a worm bed, my youngest daughter almost fell out of her chair pale . I think they just need some ENCOURAGEMENT, what do you all think??? LOL! Hello from Louisiana! 3085260134
Carrot-top
Carrot-top

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/26/2012, 4:04 am

I think the kids will eventually get more excited about things if they are encouraged to participate. And a worm bin is very interesting. Ask my son. He wouldn't babysit mine because the 4 YO was so facinated by it.

Be sure to take pictures and post them. We love pictures and it shows you how you have been progressing.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend 7/26/2012, 11:46 am

Carrot-top, if you get up to Many, La, Family Farm and Garden has cotton burr compost, cow manure compost , and something called humus compost. That gets you a few more of the five. It's about 55 miles from you, but in case you are in the area, it's worth checking out. They usually have the 4 cu ft bags of vermiculite in stock though I'd call before I made the trip up here.
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend 7/26/2012, 11:48 am

Carrot-top Which place did you get the worm castings, was it in Deridder?
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrot-top 7/26/2012, 6:47 pm

I got the cotton burr compost from "Father's Hope" nursery off of 171 just on the south side of town at the city limit sign (it's not on the hwy and is a small place but I can get this and chicken manure compost there. Also, the worm castings and the 4 cubic ft of vermiculite I got from "Country Garden" ~10 miles south on 171 out of DeRidder. I had passed that same shelf where the worm castings were 3-4 times Shocked ( I was meeting someone there so I was just passing time) and I was thrilled! (What can I say, some of us are just slow learners lol! ). When I told her about my lengthy day in Lake Charles trying here and there to get what I could have picked up right there, Rose, the owner's wife, said "Never underestimate Country Garden!", I thought it was very humorous at the time but really they are extremely helpful every time I go there. bounce
Hello from Louisiana! 3085260134
Carrot-top
Carrot-top

Back to top Go down

Hello from Louisiana! Empty Where in NW Arkansas?

Post  kat51415 8/7/2012, 9:07 pm

Wow, Kat51415, I am also from DeRidder! Actually I was raised in the Ozarks in NW Arkansas but transplanted here 20 years ago

My father's family is from DeRidder, my mom's family is from California. My middle daughter lives in Mena, AR. Is that close to your hometown or are you from the Benton/Fayetteville area? As for the kids, mine helped me get our SFG started. The grandkids had a ball. My son and grandson are out in the garden every morning and every evening, planting, watering and picking. My grandson is 5 yrs old. They just had their first watermelon from the garden this past week.
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Hello from Louisiana! Empty Hey Kat!

Post  Carrot-top 8/7/2012, 11:39 pm

I have been through Mena many times when going home to visit in Lincoln, which is directly north of Mena and due west from Fayetteville. Where in SE Ok do you live? I used to live in Stilwell as a child (do I even want to claim that?? LOL!!).
Have been side-tracked lately and haven't been able to get my beds ready to plant. Have been helping with a wedding but now I am back on track! I have the weed barrier down, had to treat all those FIRE ANTS!, have the boxes in place, and have 1 box and part of another filled with MM (I have the stuff but I just have to mix some more to fill the second one) this evening. You wouldn't believe how EXTREMELY DIRTY I got mixing that stuff, and how much fun I had!! I felt like a kid again lol! ! I am pretty much doing this on my own- the square foot gardening idea, my children are just standing back wondering what I am doing Laughing !!. I think that I am going to have some allies with my grandchildren though. They seem to be real interested, have been reading the post about worm towers and am seriously thinking of getting some started ( my grandson, age 2, will really be interested then! Smile ). Wish me luck!
Carrot-top
Carrot-top

Back to top Go down

Hello from Louisiana! Empty Wow, am I behind!

Post  kat51415 3/10/2013, 9:04 pm

Sorry I missed your post. We live near Talihina, OK. I hope your boxes turned out well. The drought just about did our garden in but we're back at it this year. All the SFG boxes will be planted in tomatoes this time but not so densely as last year. The plants grew so well we couldn't get to the inside tomatoes to pick them. Watering was also difficult so this year, there will only be like 4-5 tomato plants to a box. We're doing alot of in-ground potatoes and green beans, turnip greens, okra and spinach. Just for the grandkids, we're gonna have a lima bean teepee. We'll have four SFG circles with nothing but strawberries. And, of course, there will be canteloupe, watermelon and some pumpkins. Going to try to get a fall garden in, too, after all the spring and summer crops are done. I just wish I was home more to be able to do more in the garden.
kat51415
kat51415

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down