Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Question on My Blog Toplef10Question on My Blog 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Question on My Blog I22gcj10Question on My Blog 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Question on My Blog Toplef10Question on My Blog 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Question on My Blog I22gcj10Question on My Blog 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Question on My Blog

+4
littlejo
cheyannarach
FamilyGardening
melbartholomew
8 posters

Go down

Question on My Blog Empty Question on My Blog

Post  melbartholomew 6/8/2012, 5:45 pm

Wanted to see if any of you Floridians know what this lady might be experiencing with her garden:

Hi Mel, I also have problems now with termites eating my SFG boxes I bought at lowes. It has been a year since I put them in my yard here. First I put down weed barrier then the boxes and more weed barrier in the boxes then your mix. The termites have eaten into the wood but also eat my radishs, corn, strawberries and carrots just to name a few. I have found that they dont eat the onions and most of the herbs I have in one box. I also have a vinyl box I got at sams club and and had the same problem with the termites eating my veggies although they are not eating my boards as they are vinyl. I am going to try next to raise the boxes on cinder blocks to get them off the ground to see if that makes a difference. Do you have any solution for nematodes in the garden? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Here's what I told her from what I know, but I need your help in filling that in and offering any other solutions:

First off, the bugs that are eating your veggies in both boxes are probably not termites - looks like you have another bug problem with those. Termites do not eat fruits and veggies typically...they prefer to eat the cellulose in the wood boxes. You could have ants in the garden or some kind of critters that are eating the rest of your plants. I would go right to your county agricultural agent for your area of Florida so he can tell you what you might be facing.

For nematodes, the common practice in Florida is to cover your boxes with clear plastic in the summer and bake the devil out of them. The heat will kill the nematodes so you can grow in the boxes starting in the fall. It's not fool proof and the only other way is to start brand new with a new box and new soil. Usually they won't bother a Square Foot Garden unless there's easy contact with the native soil.

I would take 1 or 2 of your boxes as an experiment. Put on a plywood bottom and raise it off the ground like you have with your cinderblocks. See what happens then. You may also have an ant problem, which you can solve by putting the corners of your boxes in tubs of water - generally ants can't climb up there.

Thanks,
Mel Bartholomew
melbartholomew
melbartholomew
Founder and Originator SFG
Founder and Originator SFG

Male Posts : 4

http://www.squarefootgardening.org

Back to top Go down

Question on My Blog Empty Re: Question on My Blog

Post  FamilyGardening 6/8/2012, 6:04 pm

Hi Mel Very Happy we are not from FL but here is a link that has a few other threads on termites and such from other members Very Happy

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/search?search_keywords=termites&typerecherche=interne&show_results=topics

hope that helps and WELCOME to the forum! Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/8/2012, 6:11 pm

Hi Mel, noticed it was your first post so Question on My Blog 396615 to the forum! I just wanted to say what a great idea about putting the legs in water, I never would have thought of that. Amazing the things you learn on here. Hope someone else with a little more pest experience can help!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/8/2012, 7:09 pm

Hi Mel

I'm in SC but I had root-knot nematodes in 1 bed last yr. Green beans draw them! My extension service said to plant marigolds til they bloom, then chop them into the soil, then do the solorazation over the whole bed, and do not plant gr. beans in the bed for at least 3 years.

As for the termites, yes they do eat veggies! Thank the good lord I've never had them in the garden. Have no idea what to do for them, but have a couple links for you to look at.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7494231_do-termites-eat-plants.html

http://www.helium.com/items/2001831-do-termites-eat-grass
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 6/8/2012, 7:55 pm

Hi Mel,

I would definitely encourage this person to raise the beds up on concrete or other blocks or bricks, so the termites will leave it alone. Concrete pads for our houses is part of how we defend our homes, so it should be a good way to help keep them out of gardens too. I'd encourage them to ensure it's quite solid & sturdy though, since hurricane season storms will knock over table top gardens not properly anchored.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/8/2012, 8:32 pm

MEL!!! A BIG SFG Question on My Blog 396615 to the Forum! So glad to have you here!

Sadly, I don't know a thing about termites except I thought they ate only wood... shows how much I know... Very Happy

So after doing a little bit of research, it seems to me the best thing your reader may choose to do is contact a local pest inspector/exterminator in her area. It seems that dealing with termites can be tricky, timing with treatments are critical and may not be an ideal DIY project, especially if there is a very large destructive infestation. I would worry about her house if they are so invasive into the garden.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Question on My Blog WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  brcbedard 6/9/2012, 2:37 am

Hi from central Fl. About 1 1/2 months ago was in ocala national forest and on the trails saw two different fallen rotten trees practically spewing termites. My husband had to tell me what they were cuz I did not know that they flew. We sat and watched one pour out for about twenty minutes. If you have a lot of woods around or fallen trees removing them may help but since they fly when young I do not know how far they travel. HTH Mary BTW both trees were pine trees but probably termites are not picky
brcbedard
brcbedard

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Question on My Blog Empty from Hawaii region symposium

Post  walshevak 6/9/2012, 1:10 pm

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor