Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 Toplef10From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 I22gcj10From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 Toplef10From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 I22gcj10From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)"

+27
metweezer
victoria
plantoid
LittleGardener
AvaDGardner
cherriesjubilee
MasonGarden
Belle87ad
Momof5Js
darci.strutt
llama momma
Nicola
Kelejan
cheyannarach
kgooding
quiltbea
kristinz
camprn
kbb964
RoOsTeR
No_Such_Reality
elysia
givvmistamps
littlesapphire
gwennifer
yolos
UnderTheBlackWalnut
31 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 Empty Re: From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)"

Post  llama momma 5/5/2012, 7:01 am

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:Kelejan - Hang in there! I believe you are right. Once you get some cooperative weather, I'll bet everything will just turn green in nothing flat! Smile

Nicola and Givvmistamps - yes there is a "Hover" at the top left of what looks like a scalloped edge on the left side of the page. When you hold your cursor over it, the scalloped edge pops out and shows different topics. I have found, though, that it works better in IE than in Chrome - so some browsers work better than others with it. Smile

In case anyone's computer is like mine, it doesn't show the green scalloped edge everyone talks about. But there is a - symbol to the left of the picture of Mel's book. Put my cursor over that little symbol and it opens up all the selections.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 Empty Re: From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)"

Post  darci.strutt 5/5/2012, 8:36 am

Wonderful reminders! I am experiencing more fear than ever even though I've been a gardener for years! My garden is on a busy street and all through my creating process of my new SFG this year the walkers have been going by and stopping to ask about what I'm doing. Raised beds...expensive bags of stuff to put in them...then this odd grid (twine in my case) on top. Not to mention the hours in the yard before that digging in posts, clearing, leveling...lots of face time with the neighbors. I've been posting about my progress on Facebook too so lots of people are asking about it.

Now the garden MUST be beautiful and productive because everyone is watching! I'm trying hard to let go of that and know I might have some 'interesting' failures. I'm reading and re-reading Mel's great book, and taking lots of detailed notes. I've never used Mel's mix before now, and am just learning to compost so even though I consider myself a gardener there's lots to learn! Your post made me realize this silly pressure I was putting on myself. I needed the reminder that this is a fun learning experience...and even if there's a hole or two things will taste better...
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/5/2012, 12:29 pm

@UndertheBlackWalnut.....Yes, my toms were skeletons. I thought it was deer and then thought chipmunks were eating my plants. Partially-eaten tomatoes (the skins) everywhere. But it wasn't the only disaster. My corn never grew that first year. We had deluges of rain, rain, rain and my corn must have drowned, literally. The seed must have rotted because very few came up and then died. Not one reached 2 inches tall.

But I was lucky. Having raised beds most of my crops did quite well. Neighbors were bemoaning that they lost most of their goodies, but I produced most of mine with only a few failures from the heavy rains. Terrific peas, zucchini, and potatoes among them.

So again, newbies, don't despair. Just keep plugging. Admire your wins and learn from your failures for the next year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof5Js 6/29/2012, 8:02 pm

Laughing Amazing post Laughing So glad I found it (even without the hover thingy - gotta try it as soon as I leave here.) My garden has been in just since the first of April so 3 full months now and I have experienced all these feelings. So excited. Now this SFG thing is something I think I can handle. Folks, I can't grow a house plant Rolling Eyes Now I am beginning to wonder if I can even garden with such a seemingly simple method. But I have found my encouragement . . . THIS FORUM is awesome. Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who posts on here.
Momof5Js
Momof5Js

Female Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  Belle87ad 7/3/2012, 2:57 pm

I love this post. I found it before I even had a box built, and I just read it again now that most of my little seeds are finally sprouting. Thank you for writing such a wonderful, inspiring post for us newbies!!!
Belle87ad
Belle87ad

Female Posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 7/3/2012, 4:37 pm

Just found this thread and am jumping on the band wagon - Thanks Black Walnut!! I am a Year 2 novice here in Mason, OH who due to my travel schedule, got a very late start this year. Thank goodness for the volunteer Pear Tomatoes, Strawberries, and Lettuce that came back on their own. Seeing them spring up motivated me to go for it and see what else I could get going, even though it was so late (June 11th).

Thank you for the timely encouragement, including reminders that our SFGs don't have to be perfect, and don't need overwhelming amounts of effort. A little TLC goes a long way, plus my family can tell you that visiting my SFG actually makes me "giddy"! rahrah I'm grateful for simple pleasures!
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  cherriesjubilee 7/20/2012, 9:39 am

With almost three years of experience, I still don't know much.

But, yes, I have learned from all of my failures.

When I get discouraged, I just remember that, even if the harvest of a particular crop turned out to be meager, I have loved the flavor and texture of every vegetable I've grown. Just about 100% success there. This is what keeps me going!

In the spring, I tried strawberries for the first time. Didn't do so well. Meager harvest.

However..... I learned that Driscoll's strawberries, while usually good, all taste the same. They are uniformly good-looking too.

My unusually small strawberries, though, were not all alike. Some were sweet, some were tart, and some were (gasp!) MELLOW. Never in my life have I tasted a mellow strawberry! What a revelation.

Naturally, the experiment with strawberries proves some of the points that Black Walnut was making!
cherriesjubilee
cherriesjubilee

Female Posts : 48

http://sherry-a-casa.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/25/2012, 3:10 am

Great post UTBW!

And thanks to everyone for the explanation of the "hover." I never knew what it did and never got it to do anything...until tonight when I knew what to expect. FUN!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/25/2012, 5:22 am

Congratulations! to everyone who comes to garden. I learned by watching my grandpa as a toddler, and he kept reminding me "Everything growing in here is your I love you friend. Just love them. Keep the weeds at bay, keep digging in the compost, & talk to them every day. Watch them put on the biggest happy hi Show for you. If you make a little mistake, they forgive when you keep loving them". (so fear was an unknown); just simple pleasures.
and "picture-perfect" lol! How many people do you know like that? None. Each of us is unique in our appearance, yet God loves us all equally. So regard your plants the same way. They want to grow, so you can eat them & thereby Abundantly enjoy life cheers Plants know this is their purpose, & they excel Very Happy
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/19/2013, 2:27 pm

Found this thread from 2012 and thought giving it a good a bump might be helpful to some of our new comers .
I like " Under The Black Walnut's opening post .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/19/2013, 3:32 pm

Thanks David. It is a good one indeed and can be found quickly in the hover area on the left side of the index page. I miss UTBW!

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  victoria 2/19/2013, 3:58 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to be honest to the root and share the experience you had last year - it will help other newbies immensely - your post and what you shared is one of the best things I can imagine being found on our forum. I am personally sending your post to Mel and I would love to send you the new Answer Book - PM me if you would like me to send you one if you don't already have it.... V
victoria
victoria

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/19/2013, 4:08 pm

victoria wrote:Thank you so much for taking the time to be honest to the root and share the experience you had last year - it will help other newbies immensely - your post and what you shared is one of the best things I can imagine being found on our forum. I am personally sending your post to Mel and I would love to send you the new Answer Book - PM me if you would like me to send you one if you don't already have it.... V

Victoria ,to whom are you addressing this message ? UTBW ??
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/19/2013, 4:19 pm

Unfortunately UTBW, one of our former moderators just disappeared Sad

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/19/2013, 4:29 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Thanks David. It is a good one indeed and can be found quickly in the hover area on the left side of the index page. I miss UTBW!
+1

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/19/2013, 4:36 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Unfortunately UTBW, one of our former moderators just disappeared Sad

I was going to say that Sad Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  metweezer 6/3/2013, 4:20 pm

I have been away from SFG for over 20 years. I just squared off my raised bed 2 weeks ago and have planted my vegetables. They are looking fine already.
metweezer
metweezer

Male Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 6/3/2013, 4:43 pm

This is a fantastic post/thread. Getting started is half the battled. Being willing to ask questions and learn from mistakes is the other half. It's great to be among others who can offer advice and "grow" along with me! So glad to have this forum at my fingertips! Smile
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 Empty I went from having a pounding heart to having a smile when reading this!!

Post  kryzzy124 3/12/2014, 8:16 am

Thanks so much for this pot!! I literally went from heart pounding anxious to a smile on my face and nodding my head at your wise words!!  sunny
kryzzy124
kryzzy124

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/20/2014, 7:47 am

BUMP

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 Empty Thank you!

Post  Breeze 5/6/2023, 9:05 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Under the black walnut
It was greatly appreciated! So many questions, I can’t get past the first module in the course that I signed up for online. I’m not that great with computers but I’m stubborn laugh out loud and willing to learn. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Breeze
Breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/7/2023, 3:13 pm

Breeze,  This is an old thread that was last replied in 2014.  

Have you had a chance to read the 2nd or 3rd Edition of ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening by the founder and creator Mel Bartholomew?  If not, do read it - library, eBay or the new 3rd Edition from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Foot-Gardening-Fully-Updated/dp/0760362858/ref=asc_df_0760362858?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80470562648766&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138995838&psc=1

From a Year 2 Novice to All the New SFGers or "How to Get Past the Fear Factor! :)" - Page 2 Book_319

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2