Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
need advice with pole beans Toplef10need advice with pole beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

need advice with pole beans I22gcj10need advice with pole beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
need advice with pole beans Toplef10need advice with pole beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

need advice with pole beans I22gcj10need advice with pole beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

need advice with pole beans

+4
floyd1440
camprn
BackRiver_SFG
Pepper
8 posters

Go down

need advice with pole beans Empty need advice with pole beans

Post  Pepper 5/2/2012, 3:59 pm

I think I have over planted my pole beans. As a newbe SFG I need all the help I can get.

So here is the problem in a 4ft by 8ft bed I planted the 3 back rows (sun's prospective) with greenbeans pole variety, on the west half ( 3ft by 4ft) section are Kentucky Wonder stringless and on the east half Blue Lake stringless. Now that they are comming up I am afraid I planted WAY TOO MANY beans. My concern is they will not get enough sun to produce properly.

I need advice:

1 do I leave them alone to see what happens?

2 do I need to thin the crop? if so suggest methods

Kentucky wonders

looking northneed advice with pole beans P5023010

looking eastneed advice with pole beans P5023011

Blue lake

looking north( these are not as dense)need advice with pole beans P5023012

looking west need advice with pole beans P5023013
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

need advice with pole beans Empty Pole Bean Spacing

Post  BackRiver_SFG 5/2/2012, 4:24 pm

What a great looking start to your crop!

Before the plants get too much bigger, thin if needed, and you will be more likely to have a more healthy and strong crop. Mels's suggestion for pole beans is to plant 2 rows of four seeds for every square foot. Having the 2 rows of four, allows placement your trellace in the middle.

You seem to have a real nice medium for your beans to climb as well as a plentiful starter crop. I would visualize the square foots in your garden and thin out your weaker plants so the number is 8 per square foot and there is easy access to your trellace.

I am planting mine this weekend! Good luck. I'm sure you get some other great ideas from the forum.
BackRiver_SFG
BackRiver_SFG

Male Posts : 108

Back to top Go down

need advice with pole beans Empty Re: need advice with pole beans

Post  camprn 5/2/2012, 4:35 pm

I think you will be fine whether you thin or not. They will be competing for space vertically. Did you say your trellis is 10 foot tall? Good thing!!! Make a note for next year to add beds and plant all your pole beans in the back row. Wink I think you are going to have a bear of a time harvesting all those beans. I hope you like frozen beans and dilly beans. What a Face If you have extras your local food pantry/soup kitchen will be happy to take whats left to feed the hungry! Maybe you can sell beans road side . affraid

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

need advice with pole beans WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/14/2012, 3:35 pm

Wellllllllllll been pretty dispondent about my beans; havent posted any pic's for weeks now. They are not in MM the 'natures mix has way too much pine bark so nitrogen deficiency is rampant. Anyway no sence crying bout spilled milk. I have had several good pickens that tasted real good.Laughing Laughing Laughing My trellises is 8 foot and some achieved that height.

Camprn ; I tried the compost tea idea then the next week topdressed with a blend of Black Cow Compost and Mushroom compost. I still think the bad dirt and the dense planting has cought up with me. The plants got hit with leaf rollers and something else I never found.

before attack

need advice with pole beans P5193018 now afterneed advice with pole beans P6123110

some of the leaf rollers need advice with pole beans P6083110

I still have some flowering and production has not ceased but many of the beans are yellow and no beans in the pods.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/14/2012, 8:17 pm

My trellis is only 7 foot high so will my pole beans over grow it?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/16/2012, 8:54 pm

Found some more bugs on my beans; I need help with identification.

These look like bean alphids but I really dont know besides the one near my thumb several more up the vine need advice with pole beans P6163110

There are more that really have me stumped but are so small I am having a real hard time getting a good picture. need advice with pole beans P6153112
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 6/16/2012, 11:18 pm

Aphids !!! Hit them with a strong stream of water... And for chewing caterpillers.. use BT, aka Dipel.... organic and it stops them in their tracks !!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/17/2012, 3:18 am

Pepper:

I feel that you are going to have a very interesting time with your beans by the time they have finished growing. Very Happy affraid
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6014

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/17/2012, 3:21 am

floyd1440 wrote:My trellis is only 7 foot high so will my pole beans over grow it?

They sure will, Floyd. Last year my trellis was 6 feet high and I could have done with another four feet. This year I am adding some horizontal chicken wire so that the beans can overhang the rest of the square foot bed. That way the beans will hang down and make it easy to pick. I think next year I will try a cattle panel and bend it over into an archway.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/17/2012, 8:50 am

Sorry floyd1440 for not answering sooner, yes they will over grow it but will then hang down and be easier to pic as Kelejan said.

Thank you for the confirmation sceleste54, I have been already using Thoricide(BT) on the catapillar thingies but was skipping the beans when spraying. They were took care of the day I photographed them. Now the alphids and what I think are spider mites are my next target of necessity. I also seem to have flea beetles to do away with. Learning is in progress.

Kelejan you are right about having "...a very interesting time ..." but with this whole gardening endeavor not just the beans.

I thank all in the forum for the advise I am getting. Watching and reading about what others are experiencing is truely enlightening. Like I told the kids in sunday school: "A smart person learns their mistakes, a WISE person learns from the mistakes others make."
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/17/2012, 7:11 pm

Pepper wrote:Sorry floyd1440 for not answering sooner, yes they will over grow it but will then hang down and be easier to pic as Kelejan said.

Thank you for the confirmation sceleste54, I have been already using Thoricide(BT) on the catapillar thingies but was skipping the beans when spraying. They were took care of the day I photographed them. Now the alphids and what I think are spider mites are my next target of necessity. I also seem to have flea beetles to do away with. Learning is in progress.

Kelejan you are right about having "...a very interesting time ..." but with this whole gardening endeavor not just the beans.

I thank all in the forum for the advise I am getting. Watching and reading about what others are experiencing is truely enlightening. Like I told the kids in sunday school: "A smart person learns their mistakes, a WISE person learns from the mistakes others make."

I will let them grow over and will they climb down and cling to the trellis?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/17/2012, 10:41 pm

I really don't know if the will grow down the trellis. The few I have that made the top have not yet started to fall. Since I have a full wire pannel across the top they will probally just meander across the fence. I used string for them to climb I do not know if they will cling to it.

Unless I kill the alphids I may never know. I plan to use a soap spray untill I can get the tomato leaf potion made. Hopefully between the two the aphids will be history and I will be able to answer your question from my own observations.Laughing
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/17/2012, 11:33 pm

I found last year that the beans climbed to the top of my trellis and then just grew into a great tangled bunch. I don't think they grow DOWN. I missed some of the beans because I could not find them until the fall when I stripped all the greenery from the trellis.

The beans turned to seed so I did not have to purchase any this year, and had enough to give away to other gardeners.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 6/27/2012, 12:33 pm

Well............ I tried the insectacidal soap seems it made them grow.

I did find something that works first time every time........ MY THUMB AND FOREFINGERneed advice with pole beans 889526 need advice with pole beans 889526 need advice with pole beans 889526 need advice with pole beans 889526 need advice with pole beans 889526 need advice with pole beans 889526 need advice with pole beans 889526 need advice with pole beans 889526 need advice with pole beans 889526

Three rounds of tomato leaf spray, one round of soap and still getting ATE UP with the little boogers HELP study need advice with pole beans 601593 need advice with pole beans 27650 need advice with pole beans 671790 need advice with pole beans 773650 need advice with pole beans 3868 need advice with pole beans 471599 need advice with pole beans 671790
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 7/23/2012, 6:16 am

I am not really sure what finally killed them but thankfully they are gone. Of course the beans are destroyed, what once was a dense forest is but a few stragglers( the climbing greenery seen over the peppers) need advice with pole beans P7213215
What I labeled as aphids are actually "three-cornered alpha hoppers" need advice with pole beans P6163114
Here is the image I stumbled on to making the ID sure need advice with pole beans 13549511
and another need advice with pole beans Juveni10
I did make up a double strength soap solution in a tank sprayer that I credit as killing the infestation. I did saturate those buggers Twisted Evil
Saturday I found another infestation on the misses sunflowers. Ants seem to herd these critters also atleast feast off their residue. So used a granular ant poison to fix them pests. Then water streamed off the 'hoppers. I sure hope they die before finding a food source( like aphids would;I hope).
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/23/2012, 6:15 pm

In our region it's not too late to plant more beans. We can sow seeds into Sep. Add some compost and try replanting the bare spots. You will get a late crop with fewer bug problems.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 9:15 pm

I've got Blue Lakes & KY Wonders growing, too. The Blue Lakes are the tasty and prolific ones. I have had 1 plant die, but have not seen any of these type bugs. I have seen some CO potato bugs crawling by, and they just keep going somewhere else. When I take it out, I'll have to see if I can figure out why it died.

My trellis is about 4 feet tall, an arch, and the beans have reach the top of it. Now they are covering it, and have actually caused it to bow inward (I need to add a center support).

For some reason, my beans are growing north. They have southern exposure, yet are leaning north. I can't figure it out. All of them are leaning that way. It is so weird.

Ava

AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/23/2012, 10:14 pm

My Kentucky Wonder beans grew more than 13 feet tall last year... Good luck! You goin' to have lotsa beans, YUM! What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

need advice with pole beans WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 7/24/2012, 12:00 am

yea Kay I already planted replacements where the other ones were. Most of the new troopers are up and nearly 4 inches tall. I will be watching for more hoppers cause I got their number
Camprn I surely hope so. It would be a shame to have bought the canning equipment and not get to use it from MY garden.
Ava you gonna need a bigger trellis. Mine is nearly 8 foot and many went out the top before they got killed.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down