Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? Toplef10It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? I22gcj10It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? Toplef10It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? I22gcj10It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted?

+7
loen.onsrud
landarch
herblover
Turan
Goosegirl
Hoggar
laurainwinona
11 posters

Go down

It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? Empty It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted?

Post  laurainwinona 4/16/2012, 10:32 am

April turned out to be chilly around here after March was more like June. Just curious to know how it's going in other places and what people have planted. I planted broccoli, cabbage and lettuce seedlings and lost them all. Planted carrots, spinach, radishes, arugula, turnip, rutabaga, and parsnip from seed, and replanted lettuce, cabbage, and broccoli from seed. Only a couple arugula and spinach are up. Planted peas and onions, they are doing very well. Planted potatoes over the weekend.

How is everyone else doing?
laurainwinona
laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? Empty Re: It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted?

Post  Hoggar 4/16/2012, 12:44 pm

I have sprouted from seed in my boxes spinach, carrots and leaf lettuce.
My peas and Cucumbers have not come up yet and I put out my 6" to 8"
broccoli seedlings yesterday while building my new Greenhouse. I have
seedlings for 18 Tomato plants that will go out soon but I'm a little worried
about the fact that were supposed to get temps in the 80s by Saturday.
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted? Empty Re: It's a chilly April....what's everybody got planted?

Post  Goosegirl 4/16/2012, 1:27 pm

I have lettuce coming up from some seeds I planted last year that did not germinate. They are all coming up right next to the border of the bed, so I suspect they got washed there in the rain and had no light for germination last year. Now that they have been washed around again, they are coming up! I plan on putting in my carrots and potatoes in the next day or so.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/16/2012, 1:35 pm

Potatoes planted this weekend.
Orach, Radishes and garlic are up.
Lettuce spinach beets seeded and should show up soon.
1rst planting of peas are almost ready to sprout (I peeked)
Carrots, bok choy and raab seeded this morning.

80s temps coming? hmmm,,,,, I better plant my broccoli starts out before then. Thanks for the warning Hoggar!
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 4/16/2012, 4:34 pm

I have arugula, 2 varities of salad greens and radishes, spinach and Swiss chard up.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/16/2012, 4:50 pm

I pulled up cauliflower as it was not growing well enough to produce before the heat shows up for good.

Soil temps have come down as there were recent frost warnings in the KC area...night time lows to be around 40 later in the week but last frost free date for KC is April 17th.

My plants are doing ok...working on improving soil nutrients in my first year Mels Mix. I'm still a month ahead of where my garden was last year.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  loen.onsrud 4/17/2012, 8:15 am

I have been religiously covering the beds at night, as well as adding milk gallon jugs filled with hot water under the covers on nights its been too chilly. Thankfully, I haven't lost anything yet!

Lettuce transplants going strong. We had our first salad with them last week! Broccoli transplants are spindly but still growing. The nasturtium transplants have been stuck in time, I suppose the weather fluctuations are too much for them, but they are still hanging on. The swisschard is about six inches tall now.

As for the seed starts... peas planted on April 1st are about six inched tall now. The turnips and the radishes all have their true leaves but only one set. The spinach is yet to show any signs of life Sad Though, with the spinach seeds, I may have mistakenly picked them as weeds after a neighborhood dog decided to semi dig through my garden Sad I think every onion has now popped through the mix too.

I think, but don't know, that the hot water jugs have helped quite a bit. On frosty nights I just fill em up and set them in the beds and cover, then in the morning I uncover the beds and use the jugs to give em a drink, lol. I'm probably over working myself needlessly, but like I said, nothing has been lost yet!
loen.onsrud

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  staci.bourff 4/17/2012, 8:38 am

This is my first garden as an adult. This weekend I planted garlic, onions, kale plants, beets, carrots, spinach, and four different types of lettuce seeds in one box. I planted a sweet mint plant yesterday under the birdfeeder hoping it'll keep the birdseed from growing into plants. I just got four more boxes built yesterday.This is how I planted my first box, hoping they are all compatible. The last time I garden was with my parents when I was like 13.

KaleCarrotsLettuceOnionsGarlic
Iceburg LettuceSpinachLettuceRomain LettuceBeets

I bought my pepper plants, and strawberry plants a few weeks ago when it was 80, and just when I was thinking it was safe to plant they was calling for a frost, so now they are sitting in my kitchen window in a foil roasting pan waiting to be planted. Hoping for frost free nights soon or I'll have an inside garden the way they are growing.
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Female Posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 4/17/2012, 10:29 am

I had some spinach and sage that overwintered that gave me early produce. My overwintered leeks look great - they hardly grew last year, but now are really taking off.

I planted my early spring crops on time, and that newly planted spinach, lettuce, peas, and brocolli are all doing well; we've been having lots of fresh salads for the last 2 weeks. The peas are blooming now, and the broccoli is threatening the surrounding squares.

Since it had been consistently warm for a month, I took a gamble and planted some other things early: herbs (cilantro, basil, oregano, thyme, parsely, rosemary), squash, zucchini, chard, sweet potatoes, and beets, and they all seem to be doing fine (except the squash and zucchini which did not sprout and I had to reseed). I put in a new 8x2 SFG bed this year solely for tomatoes, and planted about 12 different varieties there, some from potted plants, some from direct seed. Had to cover them for 3 nights when we had frost or frost warnings, but they are doing great. I also have a new 4x4 bed for strawberries which I planted last weekend, about 1/3 June-bearing and 1/3 day-neutral. Some of those were bare-root, so they are barely sprouting so far.
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post  greenThumbsUp 4/17/2012, 11:44 am

carrots, chard, radishes, spring onions in the ground
loose leaf lettuce, peas, romaine - going in today
-on the frost front in a few days we are getting a low of 34... A little too close to a frost so other stuff will just have to wait
greenThumbsUp
greenThumbsUp

http://homegardening101.com

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 4/17/2012, 11:58 am

Went out to check on the potato boxes to find that some of the Yukon Golds are making an appearance... and the fingerlings I checked in all three boxes have roots, so should be breaking the surface soon. I was a bit worried, as it's been very wet here and I always worry about rot in the early spring.

Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and Lettuce are going gangbusters. Kale, cauliflower and cabbage aren't far behind. Both varieties of peas are up and doing well. Leeks, all varieties of onions, and all varieties of garlic are doing fine. Beets and Turnip greens are all up and growing like crazy (should be able to thin the turnips for a serving or two in a week or so)

The carrots I planted first didn't germinate as well as the second sowing, so I need to go back and reseed that square when I plant the next sowing this weekend. Parsnips show one seedling so far (but are notoriously slow in germinating).

All varieties of tomatoes are just waiting to be put in the ground under cloche or in the greenhouse when the night temps get just a "bit" warmer. Celery and Peppers are waiting for the same inside under lights.

Herbs and strawberries are mostly up and putting on new growth. New sowings of Lemon Basil, Lime Basil, Borage and Parsley are in various stages of growth inside.

I'm chomping at the bit to sow the cucumbers inside, but need to wait a couple of weeks before doing that so they transplant ok at the right time. Same with the Delicata Squash. Still too early for corn or beans...
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down