Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Grain/Meal Toplef10Grain/Meal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Grain/Meal I22gcj10Grain/Meal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Grain/Meal Toplef10Grain/Meal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Grain/Meal I22gcj10Grain/Meal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Grain/Meal

+4
gwennifer
camprn
littlejo
JK
8 posters

Go down

Grain/Meal Empty Grain/Meal

Post  JK 3/13/2012, 2:21 pm

As I read more and get more interested in gardening I have read that it requires a great deal of space to produce any reasonable amount of grain and whatnot. Square foot gardening uses so much less space and I dont currently use a great deal of flour and the like, so is there any feasability for home growing for small quantity?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with making their own flour, cornmeal, oats, etc.

Anyone grow amaranth? Corn specifically for cornmeal? How much crop translates to how much finished yield?
JK

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Grain/Meal Empty Re: Grain/Meal

Post  littlejo 3/13/2012, 2:53 pm

It does take quite a bit of room to grow wheat. But, the main concern, before you start, is to find someone that can grind it for you. My feed store grinds corn for grits, cornmeal, etc, don't know if they can grind wheat or not.

I would ask the grinder how many plants it takes to make a lb. of flour?

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/13/2012, 6:04 pm

I have a friend that uses a mill at home something like this.Grinder

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Grain/Meal WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/13/2012, 6:35 pm

This is a great question! I've wondered about the grain issue myself whenever I hear people talking about "going off the grid". (I actually own an electric grain mill too, so growing my own grains would be the next step).

A quick search brought up this article from Mother Earth News: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Growing-Wheat-Types-Of-Wheat.aspx

Here's an excerpt that caught my eye "...you will discover wheat is easy to grow almost anywhere in the United States, even as a wide-row crop in your garden." I had to look up what was meant by "wide-row crop" and discovered it refers to the intensive planting methods we already employ here with SFGing. Perfect. So now we need to know seed spacing and yield information. With wheat for instance, I've learned that volume wise, 1 cup of wheat berries typically gives you 1 1/2 cups of flour. Weight wise it's equal (if you can harvest five pounds of wheat berries, you can make a five pound bag of flour). What I haven't dug up is how many little wheat berries you would plant to get those five pounds of berries at harvest time.

That information seems to be available in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Homegrown-Whole-Grains-Harvest-Barley/dp/160342153X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331676772&sr=1-1

And that's as far as I've gotten. Right now my 1 year old wants me off the computer, so I better get back to being his mom!

Edited to add: Just found another article on growing wheat at home and they are even talking growing in raised beds and using Mel's Mix! 200 seeds per square yard. Still no direct information on yield. Here's the link: http://gallimaufree.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/urban-survival-skills-grow-your-own-wheat/
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1398

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/13/2012, 6:50 pm

i watched a video on grinding corn for corn flour.....they used whats called feild corn that is meant to be grown for animal feed....but you can use it for flour as well.....3 dried ears grinded up made 5 cups of corn flour......

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2422

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/13/2012, 7:44 pm

ooooooh polenta Yummy!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Grain/Meal WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 3/13/2012, 9:52 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone Very Happy.

Gwennifer thats pretty much where my thought started. Doubt I will ever be willing to put in the work required to go 'off grid' but I am interested in the idea. If nothing else the way prices are going sky high on everything its nice to know what can and cannot be done on small home scale.

Camprn do you know what all your friend uses it for?

Rose thats amazing..Shocked 5 cups of flour from 3 ears? For some reason I thought it would take way more than that. Rounding up and down... Google said around .33lbs/cup of cornflour, about 3cups per pound, planted 4 per sqft, give or take 2 ears per would be 8 ears per square, which would be about 13cups.... 4.3lbs of cornflour per sqft? Maybe I had a brain fart in there somewhere... 4.3lbs of cornflour per sqft sounds like an awful lot. Lotta rounding and variables like coarseness of the flour but still... If thats remotely close then a few squares devoted to cornflour would give someone who doesnt use much enough for a year.

Would love to hear more from people who know or have experience Very Happy. If I screwed up thinking through all that please correct me, its been a long day Rolling Eyes.
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/13/2012, 10:18 pm

The two links below talk about using corn for corn flour/ corn meal……it’s a great channel I enjoy watching J

Here she says two ears of field corn gave her 2 2/3 cups of corn meal……she explains how to make corn mush……very interesting J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCVaO263PNQ&feature=plcp&context=C4c6bc3bVDvjVQa1PpcFNCX6ft55zMLQ1MdyAHR0xLOf7avJx5SUo=

here is where she says 3 ears of corn gave her 5 cups of corn meal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGstFC-MLu8&feature=plcp&context=C495d4a7VDvjVQa1PpcFNCX6ft55zMLVF6rYvqtky23EdgqMbaS0s=

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/13/2012, 11:48 pm

I bought a book called Homegrown Whole grains by Sara Pitzer.
It goes through all of the grains and the space required for them.
It is quite an interesting read for a smaller gardener. I have about half of an acre and at some point would like to grow some grains.
I have bought quinoa seeds, we will see how that goes.

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/14/2012, 12:13 am

GWN wrote:I bought a book called Homegrown Whole grains by Sara Pitzer.
It goes through all of the grains and the space required for them.
It is quite an interesting read for a smaller gardener. I have about half of an acre and at some point would like to grow some grains.

FYI, that's the same book I linked to above. I've got it on my wishlist now. bounce
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/14/2012, 12:55 am

WHOOPS sorry....
I have had the book for a few years, and just love it, gives me BIG plans
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/14/2012, 1:03 am

keep us posted on the quinoa.....my son has to be on a special food diet and we eat a lot of quinoa pasta....im curious on how it grows and how to harvest it....its a very pretty plant....Very Happy we really enjoy the taste of it in pasta and flour.....i made some really yummy cupcakes with quinoa flour!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 3/14/2012, 8:35 am

Thanks for the links rose Very Happy. Its amazing how much they get from just a few ears.

I tried quinoa a few years ago... did not enjoy the taste at all but it probably wasnt prepared properly Rolling Eyes. Next time I see it at the store Ill give it another shot.

Ill be checking Barnes & Noble for that book too bounce
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/14/2012, 10:45 am

We have a farm not too far from where we live where they grow many grains and sell them in bulk.
THe guy there told me that I was starting with a somewhat difficult grain, it has a coating on it that has to be washed off in the fall.
?saporin SP Perhaps a poor one to start with.
We love quinoa, but mainly as a flour, I have it ground into flour.

Really hope to get my own grinder this year. Did you know that the these grain mills often also come with an attachment for making rolled oats?
He gave us the demo and the rolled oats were so tender you would not even have to cook them.

These mills are german made and stone grinders, a bit pricy, but then again, so are all these exotic flours.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Grain/Meal Empty Corn

Post  CharlesB 3/14/2012, 11:40 am

I can buy more than will fill a five gallon bucket of dry corn for 10 bucks at the supply store. So I buy that to grind. I use it to mix in to recipes and to spread on the ground to feed the worms. Lots of other uses for that as well.

I use a Corona grinder and I really like it. Inexpensive doesn't take up much space.

I grow some wheat and corn to mess around with but the dry grains are best bought right now. If you look on Youtube you'll see people using mechanized farming planting > 400 acres of wheat in 1 day! When they can do that, we might as well buy the bulk from them and grind it ourselves if we wish.

Always good to know how to do it though. So much of my gardening is for the knowledge more than the need to provide the food. These are valuable skills to know.

About the Amaranth, that is a true super food. Everything about it I like. It competes fine against weeds, it self sows, it can be harvested for greens and for grains, you can harvest parts of it through the whole season, it has tremendous nutritional value and it is beautiful. No need to use squares of the SFG for it though. Just find vacant lots or fields. Get some going, remove some of the competition (weeds) around it a few times through the season then harvest. Awesome plant.

Last edited by CharlesB on 3/14/2012, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/14/2012, 11:42 am

These are valuable skills to know.
You got that right,
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 3/15/2012, 9:37 am

You want to get the catalog from Bountiful Gardens: https://www.bountifulgardens.org/inforequest.asp

They grow using the biointensive method, which is similar in closeness to SFG.

The point about the catalog is that it tells you how much to plant and what yield to expect, when to harvest, etc. All the info you need to REALLY plan food production.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/15/2012, 10:47 am

It does not look like they ship to Canada, however the book by Sara Pitzer DOES have a lot of info on planting spacing etc, and from the look of it I need to plant soon, as it sounds like quinoa need cooler temps to germinate.
Just need to find a spot.... hmmmm
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/15/2012, 12:17 pm

I poked around on the bountiful gardens website. They do ship their catalog to Canada, but not for free. They charge $2.

So jpatti, are you saying the free catalog has the seed spacing information? That's awesome! They also have a book section and they offer the Sara Pitzer book and some others. The one called "One Circle" looks interesting, but it's kinda spendy. Apparently it covers how to grow a complete vegetarian diet in your backyard using only 700 square feet. Thanks for the link!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 3/15/2012, 5:31 pm

Yes, their catalog has AWESOME info on each plant. Here's an example from their grain section...

Barley
CW/Matures 9-10/Harvest 0-4/Yield grain 5-24, dry biomass 12-75/Spacing 5

CW = cold weather crop

Matures = how many weeks it takes for the plant to mature

Harvest = how long the harvest lasts

Yield = pounds per 100 square foot planted (in this case, there's two yields, one for grain, one for growing as compost/straw)

Spacing = inches apart for biointensive growing (somewhat more spread out than SFG)

Area = number of square feet planted by a package
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/15/2012, 10:08 pm

Speaking of biointensive gardening, what got me into all of this in the first place was John Jeavons book "how to grow more vegetables that you ever thought possible on less land than you can imagine.
I have had this book for years and in fact a recent article in mother earth news about small area gardening describes John Jeavons and Mel Bartholomew the "fathers of Americas intensive-growing tradition)
The John Jeavons book has extremely extensive tables on all of this, and his spacing is very close to Mels.

Mels book clearly simplifies the process in many ways, but Johns book has more detail about every possible crop, and spacing, as well as many other important facts.
Johns book is clearly more for someone attempting to live off of their property so he goes into protein content, and lays out the actual gardens that for instance a family of 2 would need, and goes into all the nutritional needs.
I think that the two books make for a great pair

Thanks jpatti

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down