Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? Toplef10Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? I22gcj10Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? Toplef10Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? I22gcj10Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ?

+3
camprn
sfg4uKim
greenmama
7 posters

Go down

Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? Empty Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ?

Post  greenmama 3/4/2012, 10:44 am

I need to start some seeds indoors today. Actually, I'm a week behind on some. So I really need to get going!

I'm new to all this, and have never planted indoor seedlings, only done direct outdoor seeds.

I was surprised and caught off guard when I read in the book that I should start my seeds in a cup of verm., in a tray of water. I don't have any little containers that I can poke holes in, and not enough saucers I can spare either. I could go out and spend some more money to buy more things, but I'm wondering if I can skip starting in verm. and start straight away in little seed pots with some Mel's mix in them? I have a bunch of the peat/compostable type that you can put the whole thing in the ground. It's less overwhelming to me that way too. But I want to do whatever will produce good results.

Thanks!
greenmama
greenmama

Female Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? Empty Re: Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ?

Post  sfg4uKim 3/4/2012, 10:59 am

I start in Mel's Mix now and NOT vermiculite. It's just that you can start more seeds in a shallow cup of vermiculite and move them into four-packs of Mel's Mix which take up more room.

I've actually ended up accidentally damaging seedlings transferring them from verm. to MM.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2053

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? Empty Re: Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ?

Post  camprn 3/4/2012, 11:01 am

I start my seeds in a starter mix similar to Mel's mix.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 3/4/2012, 11:03 am

I started every this year in peat pots, or plastic trays with many cells. I do have some things trying to start in verm, but thats because I have some extra things. I am using generic red solo cups for some things etc. It is just what I have. I dont usually have plastic milk cartons but when I get them I save them to plant in as well. They are 2 qts.

Most of all they do grow in peat pots with MM. MM has everything you would need for a seedling. It will be the simplest I think to start. A good blend of compost and you can grow anything I think. Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1119
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  greenmama 3/4/2012, 11:06 am

Whew! Thank goodness! Thanks a bunch for the replies!
greenmama
greenmama

Female Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 3/4/2012, 11:51 am

They will grow fine in MM. It's just all about not wasting seedlings if you start them in vermiculite.
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Can I start seeds indoors in soil/Mel's mix rather than Verm. ? Empty that was my question, too

Post  gweiher 3/11/2012, 6:43 pm

oh good! i was just wondering this myself...wondering why one wouldn't just start w/ MM? thanks for asking already!
gweiher
gweiher

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/11/2012, 7:49 pm

I found to our cost that growing the seeds in MM on the window cill gives out tiny black flies that bite me & mine during the night ( most likely coming from out of the the composted manures )

In vermiculite this does not happen .

I also had problems with getting suitable sized pots / containers to just grow six or so seeds.

In the end I used some old used vending machine plastic drinking cups with a couple of holes melted in the base using a hot barbie skewer . You could use aerosol can caps and melt a couple of tiny holes in the bases .

I've only been half to three quarter filling the cups with ground up vermiculite ( used the kitchen blender on a slightly damp jug full to make it small enough ) and slipping a bit of clingfilm over the tops , once the seeds are placed in the dry vermiculite & after the initial soak in room temp rain water for a hour or so on a filled tray , I take the cups out of the water and stand them on the sink drainer for four hours to let any excess water to run off , then I put them to sit on a bit more clingfilm that goes up the side of the cup so as to prevent any leakage of water .

Once you see germination has taken place & micro yellowish things appear , remove the top film to let the seedlings get a pair of green leaves & some air ...I doubt you'll need to re-water as the neat vermiculite is a darn good water retainer .

Initially I didn't allow them to drain off long enough and things got a bit too damp for some seeds that went mouldy . Such seeds don't get any cling film on the top for three days as this allows a bit of evaporation .

It's a cinch geting the seedlings out . Remove the films and gently roll the cup in your hands to loosen the contents and slip it out on a clean surface where you intend to either grow or pot them on . use a seed lanel to gently ease the seedlings out the now collapsed heap of damp vermiculite& slip it into a prepared hole then lightly directly water each seedling in with tepid rain water.

26 /2 I planted five peas per cup and by the ( 7 days ) time the peas were 1/2 inch high they had developed three inch long roots . I planted them out in the sfg's a week or more ago after a couple of days hardening off in the glass house .Today they are about 1 & 1/4 inches high

I've done same with all sorts of brassicas & a load of flowers for six hanging baskets .. they all got planted out direct in their growing positions yesterday & watered in but the hanging baskets are in the glasshouse till the last frost date.

Every plant will get another greenhouse temp warmed rain water drink tomorrow evening unless it rains .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down