Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vented Hoop House Toplef10Vented Hoop House 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vented Hoop House I22gcj10Vented Hoop House 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vented Hoop House Toplef10Vented Hoop House 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vented Hoop House I22gcj10Vented Hoop House 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Vented Hoop House

+2
staf74
yolos
6 posters

Go down

Vented Hoop House Empty Vented Hoop House

Post  yolos 12/18/2011, 10:58 pm

My biggest problem with a hoop house, or anything similar, is the fact that when I leave for work in the morning, the temperature is at its lowest (28 degrees this morning) but the temperate will rise to 60 degrees for a high during the day. Therefore, I cannot vent the hoop house before I leave for work because the temperature is at its lowest. If I don't vent the hoop house, the vegetables will cook during the day.. Because my drive to work is about an hour, I can't drive back during the day to vent the hoop house after the temperature has warmed up. Therefore, I saw this video on youtube that shows an inexpensive temperature controlled ventilation system.

I also like the idea that you just lift the whole hoop house up when you want to get into it rather than having to unwrap/rewrap etc.

Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6bWeYCV53A
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Vented Hoop House Empty Re: Vented Hoop House

Post  staf74 12/19/2011, 8:11 am

The ONLY reason why I'm successful at season extension is because my wife is our homemaker and is able to take off the covers for me. Like yourself, I'm off to work early before sunrise in the winter. However, my "human vent" still complains of the job at times and therefore that vent looked appealing. I like how its set at 55 degrees. I wonder if it has a thermostat to change that temp? I do still worry that clear bright sunny days purely on the hoop house could still potentially cook the plants.

I also like the idea of something that simply fits over the bed. One consideration for that however is that in the fall you are dealing with mature crops that can easily spread past the footprint of the 4x4 dimension. They might get cramped in there but smaller leafy stuff like spinach should be fine. I also worry that wind could lift up and under it and once that happens you are dealing with essentially a large sail !!! I'm sure a few hinges would help but it would still worry me. I've thought about the cover design that fits over the bed and what I thought about to ensure better contact between the two pieces is to add rubber weather strips (door insulation) along the underneath of all four sides to stop cold air from getting in. My beds are older and although in good shape, something that went over the top would not be snug enough due to ever so slight natural warping.

Just some things to think about but I really like the vent idea. I'm gonna search for one locally. Thanks for the post and I hope you find a solution Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/19/2011, 8:49 am

perhaps you like to put this address up for finding

amazon.co.uk automatic green house vents.

These are adjustable by screwing the dark cartridge in or out , they can be locked up after removing the operating cartridge 7 locking pin then putting the pin back in the locking position really cold windy weather .

I have three such auto vents in my glass house , two high at diametrically opposite in the apexed glass roof ( caddy corner ? ) to let the hot air out and one at low level one on the north side of things right in the middle of the back north wall to allow slightly cooler air to come in thus also giving that very important fresh air circulation as well .

For your tunnel I'd put one low at one end and one high at the other to get the best air movements if you only use two auto vents
I'm sure they will be easily available stateside as they are usually made in China nowadays .
They can be easily made to open flaps outwards in the wooden sheet ends. For really warmer weather you could also make a much larger side hinged door at each end to allow you even more air flow using an " F " finger shaped keeper for a simple wooden toggle catch

I 'd suggest that you put anti cat & other pest mesh on the inside of the lower vents/ doors to keep those unwelcome visitors out your polytunnel/green house
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4099

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/19/2011, 9:04 am

I just found that vent from the video online at amazon for $10. However, it does state that it opens at 70 and closes at 40. Still pretty decent though.

Plantoid - I too was concerned with air circulation so thanks for your tips. If I move to this style I will be sure to add the extra vent into my design. Were you trying to post a link or a pic to a different vent? I don't seem to be able to see it.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/19/2011, 10:27 am

staf74 wrote:I just found that vent from the video online at amazon for $10. However, it does state that it opens at 70 and closes at 40. Still pretty decent though.

Open at 70 and closed at 40 is still good enough for cool season plants like spinach and lettuce. However, on cold nights, I like to close my hoops at sunset and trap in the peak heat if possible for the night. The warmer the start, the warmer the temps stay overnight.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/19/2011, 10:41 am

staf74 wrote:I just found that vent from the video online at amazon for $10. However, it does state that it opens at 70 and closes at 40. Still pretty decent though.

Plantoid - I too was concerned with air circulation so thanks for your tips. If I move to this style I will be sure to add the extra vent into my design. Were you trying to post a link or a pic to a different vent? I don't seem to be able to see it.

Not the vent you mention , just the actuator arm and operatingcartridge of one used in real glass & aluminium framed glasshouses
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4099

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/19/2011, 6:45 pm

Thanks plantoid. I've seen those arms and now know what you were referring to.

BBG - Certainly trapping early evening heat will give your set-up a head start for the night. For my set-up, if the vent closes at 40, I think thats ok as the lights will keep it at that temp or possibly have it rise some. I might just experiment with a bed to see and compare. It'll give me something to do if nothing else. I didn't know you were going with season extension. Post a pic of your beds if you can. Whats growing?
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 12/19/2011, 8:41 pm

I really enjoyed the video, thanks for the link
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/7/2012, 12:40 am

I can not get the video to run (too slow a connection). I assume the
vent being mentioned is the automatic foundation vents? Has any one
tried them and how did they work?

Today I made a hoop house with some poly pipe and plastic and finished
one made from a bought cold frame that was too short and is really a
cheap flimsy piece. That hoop house was slick and easy to make. Any ways, I am worrying about how a small space heats up even faster than my greenhouse.
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2624

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down