Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
pvc length and type on a hoop house Toplef10pvc length and type on a hoop house 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

pvc length and type on a hoop house I22gcj10pvc length and type on a hoop house 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
pvc length and type on a hoop house Toplef10pvc length and type on a hoop house 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

pvc length and type on a hoop house I22gcj10pvc length and type on a hoop house 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

pvc length and type on a hoop house

+6
thegreatcob
Pepper
GloriaG
Turan
tramman
has55
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

pvc length and type on a hoop house Empty pvc length and type on a hoop house

Post  has55 12/23/2012, 12:44 am

What is the best length to make a hoop out of PVC? I was thinking of making it out of 6 ft length pvc for my greens in a 4 x 4 sq ft bed. That would make it 3 ft in the the center. I wanted to put a hoop on each end. Basically 4 ft apart. Would this work?
Should I use scheduled 40, 600 psi PVC pipe or 200 psi pvc pipe use for lawn irrigation? It's more flexible.

austin Smile
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

pvc length and type on a hoop house Empty Re: pvc length and type on a hoop house

Post  tramman 12/23/2012, 1:25 pm

I've seen pictures of hoops made with hula hoops. Hoop strength probably isn't an issue unless you live in an area of heavy snowfall.

9-10 feet is a common hoop length because pvc water and electrical pipe are most commonly sold in 10 foot lengths. That length also makes the sides taller for taller plants on the outer rows.
tramman
tramman

Back to top Go down

pvc length and type on a hoop house Empty Re: pvc length and type on a hoop house

Post  Turan 12/23/2012, 1:45 pm

I use 3/4" polypipe distribution tubing. It comes in a roll and is MUCH cheaper than pvc pipe. It works really well with garden clips. In fact I made a pile of the clips using polypipe and a small hand pruner. I found i liked the 8' lengths better than the 6' lengths but I was covering peppers and eggplants.

Here is a file on using hte garden clips but has lots of info on the whole covering beds in general. It goes over how tall to make your coverings.
http://cdn.territorialseed.com/downloads/GardenClipSystem.pdf

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

pvc length and type on a hoop house Empty Re: The best length for PVC hoop houses

Post  GloriaG 12/23/2012, 10:21 pm

Hi Austin,

Welcome to the forum. I live just south of you in Double Oak. We have a pipe bender and use 10' pieces of emt (metal) pipe for our hoops. You're welcome to come see if you'd like. Just send me a pm if you'd like to see them.

Thanks
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 12/24/2012, 9:18 pm

Turan do tell more on making these clips. Since you are using 3/4 pipe do you use 3/4 same pipe to make clips? This is the answer to my tulle attachment problem. Thank you for the info in this link.
thanks thanks thanks thanks

not to mention polly covers
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 12/25/2012, 1:17 am

Pepper wrote:Turan do tell more on making these clips. Since you are using 3/4 pipe do you use 3/4 same pipe to make clips? This is the answer to my tulle attachment problem. Thank you for the info in this link.
thanks thanks thanks thanks

not to mention polly covers

I use the same polypipe the hoop lengths are from. I just cut a dozen or so pieces that are hand width or so, 4-6" and then split them along one side. My hand pruners have no trouble cutting it. Longer than 6" gets a bit harder to handle. They stretch out enough to slip on to the hoops and hold plastic or tulle. They are not as strong a hold as the pvc pipe ones, but a lot easier.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 12/25/2012, 7:33 am

Thank you thanks Do you cut out any material or just split them?

If you we're to make your own PVC ones would you do it different? Looks like PVC would need some material
Cut out and the edges smoothed.
Again thanks thanks thanks
For the link and the ideas it triggered
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  thegreatcob 12/25/2012, 9:20 am

schedule 40 10 foot long 1/2 inch diameter
thegreatcob
thegreatcob

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 12/25/2012, 7:21 pm

Pepper wrote:Thank you thanks Do you cut out any material or just split them?

If you we're to make your own PVC ones would you do it different? Looks like PVC would need some material
Cut out and the edges smoothed.
Again thanks thanks thanks
For the link and the ideas it triggered

I just split them the polypipe has plenty of spring to spread far enough. The PVC ones I bought have a 1/8th" slit taken out. I think boffer posted once on making them using a band saw? I was going to try using my hack saw and then pruning slivers off until I got the right fit.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/26/2012, 2:01 am

Turan wrote:I use 3/4" polypipe distribution tubing. It comes in a roll and is MUCH cheaper than pvc pipe. It works really well with garden clips. In fact I made a pile of the clips using polypipe and a small hand pruner. I found i liked the 8' lengths better than the 6' lengths but I was covering peppers and eggplants.

Here is a file on using hte garden clips but has lots of info on the whole covering beds in general. It goes over how tall to make your coverings.

Thanks you for the article, it was very helpful.

Austin
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/26/2012, 2:02 am

thegreatcob wrote:schedule 40 10 foot long 1/2 inch diameter

Thank you .

Austin
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/26/2012, 2:10 am

I found this research study done at Colorado state university on frost protection with using concrete reinforcing mesh covered with 4-mil plastic.

http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/722.html

Austin
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  thegreatcob 12/26/2012, 12:58 pm

the paper misses the simple concept when talk about wall o water. the fact that using the correct techniques they can be stacked. the idea of stacking them was invented in Edmond OK,USA in the 1980's but alas the method is not well known.
thegreatcob
thegreatcob

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/26/2012, 9:03 pm

Turan wrote:I use 3/4" polypipe distribution tubing. It comes in a roll and is MUCH cheaper than pvc pipe. It works really well with garden clips. In fact I made a pile of the clips using polypipe and a small hand pruner. I found i liked the 8' lengths better than the 6' lengths but I was covering peppers and eggplants.

turan, the polypipe distribution tubing, is this the same as flex tubing from rain bird irrigation that you get from lowes or home depot or is this a specially made pipe for hoop houses?

Austin
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 12/27/2012, 12:23 am

I went outside to double check exactly what I have.
So here is the correction~
1/2" Orbit distribution tubing.
Austin, I think this is the same as what you are talking about. As long as it is 1/2" or so.
It is used in irrigation systems.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/27/2012, 11:30 am

Turan wrote:

Austin, I think this is the same as what you are talking about. As long as it is 1/2" or so.

Are you able to insert any pictures of what you have done. What is keeping the tubing from collapsing or falling over? Your idea is great, question? Has your idea been winter tested for you.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 12/27/2012, 6:51 pm

has55 wrote:
Turan wrote:

Are you able to insert any pictures of what you have done. What is keeping the tubing from collapsing or falling over? Your idea is great, question? Has your idea been winter tested for you.

I pushed the pipe over a stake made from something like rebar. The stakes went inside my beds down into the subsoil. The polypipe slips over it, same as using PVC pipe. I used a bamboo piece as a top spreader and then added a tie down piece of twine from the center top of the front hoop down to the bed edge. My stakes are slicker than rebar, so when the wind came up with the plastic film on the hoops it tried to take off like a sail. So I tethered it. When all was closed it was not a problem, just when the wind came up while I was at work.

It was plenty strong for anything that happened this last spring and summer. That included some late snow storms and hail and high winds. The plastic decayed so I have not tried it for winter. I think with a 4X4 bed I would cross the hoops and tie them at the cross, you can see this done by many on this site. Next year I will use the hoops and clips to hold row covers over the early plantings and then tulle over the broccoli.

Here it is newly set up last May with polypipe clips holding the plastic on.
pvc length and type on a hoop house 12-may10

Here it is inside. I opened the front on warm days and closed at night until it was warm enough.
pvc length and type on a hoop house 12-jun10

I hope this helps answer questions.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/27/2012, 9:34 pm

Thank you, Turan. This was very helpful. Thanks for the pictures.

Austin
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

pvc length and type on a hoop house Empty pvc lenght-

Post  has55 1/8/2013, 9:24 am

Thanks GloriaG for showing me how you are using the metal hoops in your SQF. It was a fantastic teaching! I'm going to use your method. It is simple, cost effective and will last for many years. I also enjoyed how you designed your coverings using the row covers and plastic sheeting to protect your plant. The zipper and tie off method was ingenious. But my great joy was the amount of fall/winter plants that were growing. They were strong, spaced well and colorful. My hat off to you.

Thanks you again for sharing.

Austin
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

pvc length and type on a hoop house Empty Re: The best length for PVC hoop houses

Post  GloriaG 1/8/2013, 4:14 pm

Thank you Austin, I appreciate it.
Hope your garden does well this spring.
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 1/9/2013, 1:49 am

???? Turan. Did you just split the tubing or did you remove a portion of it???
I have looked at the 'store bought' versions of this and they have about 1/4 an inch slice removed and rounded corners.
It would seem to be hard to use PVC without removing a slice of material.
Hobby Lobby has something similar for cross stitch or quilting looms. The ones I bought are just larger than the 1/2 in PVC I already have. I have not yet used any but will post pics when I do.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/9/2013, 11:20 am

I plan to put up a hoop house this year so this is interesting with views on other sources. I'll be following it to get ideas.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/9/2013, 12:06 pm

Pepper, I just split the short lengths of polypipe tubing. It has plenty of spring to it. It does not hold as hard as the PVC ones. So I used these for the lower coverings for peppers and eggplant. The PVC bought ones I used for the tall cover for the cucurbits.

Here is one I made last spring. I rolled up a piece of paper for reference (8.5" long) and for the white contrast to show the slit.
pvc length and type on a hoop house Dscn1711
I hope that helps.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 1/9/2013, 1:58 pm

thanks Turan it makes sense to just split the poly, I was
Questioning making some out of PVC. Stiff as it is I was thinking taking a slice out would make it easier.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/9/2013, 2:04 pm

Pepper wrote: thanks Turan it makes sense to just split the poly, I was
Questioning making some out of PVC. Stiff as it is I was thinking taking a slice out would make it easier.

I agree. I haven't tried it yet but have the goods to do so. I was going to use a hack saw blade from the inside of the PVC pipe piece for a starting slit. Then use my jack knife to whittle the slit wider until it works on a practice bit of pipe. I think boffer made some using his band saw. Maybe try searching the forum to see what he did?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next